PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox and Fathers Day

kittle545feet
06-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Today, I celebrate a man who not only gave me the greatest gift of all... life,(mom had a lot to do with it too) but a man who also made me a Sox fan. I cannot tell you how many memories I have of the old man and me watching, listening, or going to games. He was old school for sure and he loved his White Sox. He worked his butt off for my mom and my brother and myself and only seems fitting that I say a few things here. One of my favorite memories happens to be one of the last. In 2000, the Sox were trailing the Yankees in the 9th by a run and Mariano Riviera was brought in to nail it down. He gave up a game tying homer to Carlos Lee and the winning run on a broken bat single. The place went absolutely crazy and I can remember my dad and me and a little african american peanut vendor, whom we did not know from Adam, jumping up and down and going crazy. That was the last game my dad got to see in person and the Sox didn't let us down. He was supposed to go to the home opener the following year but couldn't attend due to him feeling ill. Well, it turned out to be cancer and he valiantly fought for a couple years but ending up losing the battle in June of 2003. He never had the strenght to go to another game after that one against the Yankees but he did tell me before he died that he would work as hard as ever on the "big guy upstairs" to send a little love the south-siders way. I know he is loving this year as are all Sox fans but today, out of all the days, I am missing him the most. Thanks dad for everything and for making me a Sox fan.:dinger Happy Fathers Day everyone! If you got a story, share it......

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 01:03 PM
It's to bad the Sox no longer have a 'Father's / Kids' 'game' before the real one like they used to do for years.

It was always fun to see the kids some as small as two, dressed up in their own Sox uniforms, playing the dad's who 'somehow' always lost!

Someone may want to pass that along to Brooks.

Lip

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 01:15 PM
It's to bad the Sox no longer have a 'Father's / Kids' 'game' before the real one like they used to do for years.

It was always fun to see the kids some as small as two, dressed up in their own Sox uniforms, playing the dad's who 'somehow' always lost!

Someone may want to pass that along to Brooks.

Lip

A lot of those years Father's Day was scheduled as a doubleheader, and the fathers/kids game was between games. I used to love those.

flo-B-flo
06-19-2005, 04:11 PM
It's to bad the Sox no longer have a 'Father's / Kids' 'game' before the real one like they used to do for years.....Lip my Dad and various uncles and cousins went to a lot of these. Great memories..:smile: