PDA

View Full Version : "Jeteresque" give me a break!

Sox of White
06-19-2005, 12:45 PM
David Wright and Casey Blake both made spectacular catches diving into the third base stands last night. Instantly, the catches were both declared "Jeteresque" or "Jeter-like" or "That looks like Jeter" by various "expert analysts." I know Jeter is the greatest player in the world, in any sport of all time, and always will be, but it is taking away from Wright and Blake. They made spectacular plays, and instantly were forgotten to the famous Jeter catch, which was the greatest catch ever made. I know the whole media adores Jeter, and anything he does, but it is just rediculous how far they take it.

daveeym
06-19-2005, 04:26 PM
David Wright and Casey Blake both made spectacular catches diving into the third base stands last night. Instantly, the catches were both declared "Jeteresque" or "Jeter-like" or "That looks like Jeter" by various "expert analysts." I know Jeter is the greatest player in the world, in any sport of all time, and always will be, but it is taking away from Wright and Blake. They made spectacular plays, and instantly were forgotten to the famous Jeter catch, which was the greatest catch ever made. I know the whole media adores Jeter, and anything he does, but it is just rediculous how far they take it.Jeter's the first infielder ever to go into the stands to make a catch. He patented this move before him players were afraid of the crazy fans and walls.

MRKARNO
06-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Wouldnt it be more accurate to invoke a 3rd baseman (say, Eric Chavez) to describe those plays?

SABRSox
06-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Wouldnt it be more accurate to invoke a 3rd baseman (say, Eric Chavez) to describe those plays?

Uh-oh!!!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2989&stc=1

Cubbiesuck13
06-19-2005, 09:30 PM
But Jeter is the 'face' of baseball. ESPN told me so.

ChiSoxRowand
06-20-2005, 01:55 AM
That catch that Wright made was amazing. Much, much better than the Jeter catch. Same with the Blake catch, not as good as Wrights but much better than Jeter's. And that is a guy who was playing his first game of the year at third.

Cubbiesuck13
06-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Jeter's catch was better than Wrights, IMO. I didn't see the other one.

RadioheadRocks
06-20-2005, 01:58 AM
David Wright and Casey Blake both made spectacular catches diving into the third base stands last night. Instantly, the catches were both declared "Jeteresque" or "Jeter-like" or "That looks like Jeter" by various "expert analysts." I know Jeter is the greatest player in the world, in any sport of all time, and always will be, but it is taking away from Wright and Blake. They made spectacular plays, and instantly were forgotten to the famous Jeter catch, which was the greatest catch ever made. I know the whole media adores Jeter, and anything he does, but it is just rediculous how far they take it.

Wouldn't it actually be more "Daryl Boston-esque"??? I still remember that unreal catch he made diving into the stands... matter of fact, if you watch carefully you'll see that catch during THE NAKED GUN, where they show some real (along with some fake) baseball highlights on the scoreboard.

ChiSoxRowand
06-20-2005, 01:59 AM

You've got to be kidding me. Jeter took about five steps(at least) befor going into the stands after he caught the ball. Wright just flat out dove into the stands. Much harder catch.

Cubbiesuck13
06-20-2005, 02:02 AM
You've got to be kidding me. Jeter took about five steps(at least) befor going into the stands after he caught the ball. Wright just flat out dove into the stands. Much harder catch.

Jeter was running flat out and hit the stands forcing his body into the seats. Wright jumped into the seats. For me, it would be harder to do what Jeter did because he was running all out. Both great catches but I go with Jeter, hype and all.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Jeters catch = possibly the most overated catch in the history of Major League Baseball.

Norberto7
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Wouldn't it actually be more "Daryl Boston-esque"??? I still remember that unreal catch he made diving into the stands... matter of fact, if you watch carefully you'll see that catch during THE NAKED GUN, where they show some real (along with some fake) baseball highlights on the scoreboard.

That lion coming onto the field....that was real, right?

Milw
06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Jeter's the most overrated player in baseball.

But he's still pretty damn good.

The Dude
06-20-2005, 09:23 AM

Good? yes. Overpaid? yes. Overhyped? yes. ESPN sucks? YES

I still cant believe the granny against the flubs was his first.

NonetheLoaiza
06-20-2005, 10:26 AM

I'm gonna have to disagree wholeheartedly. Wright HAD to go into the stands to catch that ball. The way he got up and flat out dove into the stands to catch AND hold onto the ball was amazing. Jeter's catch is way behind that catch of Wright's.

Sxy Mofo
06-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Jeters catch = possibly the most overated catch in the history of Major League Baseball.

So what you're saying is if you catch the ball, take a lunch, run a mile and then jump into the stands, it's not that great a catch?

If that is what you're saying, i agree.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 03:08 PM
So what you're saying is if you catch the ball, take a lunch, run a mile and then jump into the stands, it's not that great a catch?

If that is what you're saying, i agree.

LOL...Thats exactly what I'm saying.

jdm2662
06-20-2005, 04:04 PM
That lion coming onto the field....that was real, right?

Or how about the car coming into second base?
________
R100S (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R100S)

chaerulez
06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Speaking of overrated plays by Jeter in baseball history, what about the one where he runs to get the cut off against the A's in the ALDS and flips the ball to Posada who then tags out Giambi. Good play? Yes. But not as great as the national media (ESPN) then made it out to be. No one would be talking about this if Giambi wasn't busying thinking about his next injection and just slid.

Sox of White
06-20-2005, 06:55 PM

I agree. He may be a good player, but the "experts" always proclaim him as the best. He is far from the best.

Sox of White
06-20-2005, 07:02 PM
That catch that Wright made was amazing. Much, much better than the Jeter catch. Same with the Blake catch, not as good as Wrights but much better than Jeter's. And that is a guy who was playing his first game of the year at third.

Wright literally flew into the stands, whereas Jeter could have dove into the stands much more smartly in order to prevent injury since he had already caught the ball. He had the ball in control, and had time (admittedly very brief) to stop himself without going headfirst into the seats. Wright's catch was way better and took a lot more guts to make.

Blake's catch was awesome in that it is a very unique catch. Not often do you see players jumping over the tarp in order to then catch a ball in the stands.

Sox of White
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Speaking of overrated plays by Jeter in baseball history, what about the one where he runs to get the cut off against the A's in the ALDS and flips the ball to Posada who then tags out Giambi. Good play? Yes. But not as great as the national media (ESPN) then made it out to be. No one would be talking about this if Giambi wasn't busying thinking about his next injection and just slid.

Speaking of other overrated plays by Jeter. How about that one he made where he takled Cano? If it was any other player, the "experts" would have been proclaiming it as a selfish, reckless, and showboating play. They would have knocked whoever made the catch for not calling the ball properly, or infringing on someone else's catch. It was indeed a good catch, but the fact that he takled his own teamate, come on.

Cubbiesuck13
06-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree wholeheartedly. Wright HAD to go into the stands to catch that ball. The way he got up and flat out dove into the stands to catch AND hold onto the ball was amazing. Jeter's catch is way behind that catch of Wright's.

I don't think anyone could have stopped sprinting in time to miss having to hit the wall. If the wall was taller he would have just gotten knocked out. Both plays were great. I thought Jeter's was way harder but will admit to it being the most overhyped ever. Jeter could be the best player ever and he would still be the most over-hyped player.

RedPinStripes
06-20-2005, 09:17 PM
This is one of the reasons why i don't watch every minute of the playoffs like i used to . It's because of the "Jeter Cam". That cocky little smirk has to be shown after every play and him pumping his fists after an out. ESPN promotes him like he's the best SS ever. He does have 5 rings, but there is a better SS who moved to 3rd from SS that plays right next to him.

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Certifiable proof of the success of the Jeter Hype Machine.

daveeym
06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Wouldn't it actually be more "Daryl Boston-esque"??? I still remember that unreal catch he made diving into the stands... matter of fact, if you watch carefully you'll see that catch during THE NAKED GUN, where they show some real (along with some fake) baseball highlights on the scoreboard. You mean the outfielder losing his head over the wall was fake?:?:

Get FONC
06-23-2005, 08:44 PM
I know I'm new here but I have to disagree with you about Jeter being a bad fielder. Jeter one a gold glove because the mediots remembered all of his great catches on fly balls but forgot that his range on grounders is terrible. So many singles go by him, Jose Valentin covered the SS position better than him. However he is perfectly fit to be a center fielder, say. But the Face of Baseball would be unselfish enough to give up his position for his team's success.

wsbaseball9
06-25-2005, 03:00 AM
Wrights catch was easily one of top 5 catches i've ever seen, he conciously laid out into the stands, jeter accidentally tripped into the stands

i also think casey blake's catch was better then jeter's, the concentration is acctaully phenomanal, he took his eyes off the ball and climbed up on the tarp, thats amazing and but wright...damn...theres only one word to define that catch

scrumtrelicious

Go Go Everetts
06-25-2005, 08:46 PM

And its already had more sportscenter airtime than the Sox this season.