PDA

View Full Version : tapes of last nite's game....

captain54
06-19-2005, 11:00 AM
without getting into any legalities, is it possible to somehow get tapes of last nite's game?

I was working last nite, and my VCR jammed 15 into the game...

I don't know what the legal policies are (probably illegal to tape and sell), but I would be willing to pay someone for a copy of last nite's game....

Fredsox
06-19-2005, 11:05 AM
I would imagine that you might contact Comcast or WGN (don't know who broadcasted 'cause I was at the game) and ask if you could purchase a copy. It would be interesting to see their reply.

whtsx1959
06-19-2005, 11:08 AM
You can buy it at whitesox.com for about five dollars. You have to download it, but then you could probably burn it.

Actually, its here (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/dds_sell.jsp)

doublem23
06-19-2005, 11:26 AM
You can buy it at whitesox.com for about five dollars. You have to download it, but then you could probably burn it.

Actually, its here (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/dds_sell.jsp)

Yes, once you download the games from MLB.com they are yours and you can burn them on CDs/DVDs. Hurry, though, because they only keep a week's worth of games for every team, so this time next Sunday it will no longer be available for download.

SoxFan76
06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I just bought the game, now how can I view it.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I wonder if the game has the Sox announcers? I've watched the replay clip on whitesox.com about 18 times this morning, and it is indeed Hawk. The MLB.com recap show has a few other highlights too (Rowand and Everett's singles).

Brian26
06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
I just purchased the game. It costs $3.95. I'm curious how this works...I'll try to burn a copy when it's finished downloading. I just got a new computer, so this is a nice way to test it out. I'm curious to see what the quality is- I imagine it may not be perfect dvd quality, but who knows.

SoxFan76
06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
I just bought the game, now how can I view it.

nevermind

captain54
06-19-2005, 12:21 PM
just purchased the 6/18 Sox/Dodgers game from MLB.com....$3.95

downloading it as we speak....a 416MB download..with my DSL connection, that's a couple of hours...according to the FAQ, you can view it via your PC and Windows Media Player....will not play on a MAC....you can load it up to 3 machines....

as far as burning it to DVD, you can only burn it in "data" format, which means strictly for storage purposes....I believe you would need DVD authoring software in order to convert the download to a format that is viewable on a commercial DVD player with any kind of quality....

Unregistered
06-19-2005, 12:33 PM

downloading it as we speak....a 416MB download..with my DSL connection, that's a couple of hours...according to the FAQ, you can view it via your PC and Windows Media Player....will not play on a MAC....you can load it up to 3 machines....

as far as burning it to DVD, you can only burn it in "data" format, which means strictly for storage purposes....I believe you would need DVD authoring software in order to convert the download to a format that is viewable on a commercial DVD player with any kind of quality....There is a Windows Media Player for Mac - it should play with no problems.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 12:38 PM

downloading it as we speak....a 416MB download..with my DSL connection, that's a couple of hours...

Doing the same thing here right now. It has taken 30 minutes to complete 23% of the download, and I have DSL.

as far as burning it to DVD, you can only burn it in "data" format, which means strictly for storage purposes....I believe you would need DVD authoring software in order to convert the download to a format that is viewable on a commercial DVD player with any kind of quality....

Ah, I didn't know that. So we'll just be able to view it on the media player of our computers. That's ok. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

mike squires
06-19-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't know what the hell I was thinking last night! I should have taped it. I'll be purchasing the "highlights of 2005" next year at the park though!

bobwsx
06-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Who are the announcers?I was at that game it was AWESOME:bandance: :supernana: :)

captain54
06-19-2005, 12:48 PM
There is a Windows Media Player for Mac - it should play with no problems.

Here's some info from the MLB.com site...

1. How do I obtain a license on my Mac for this downloaded game?

Currently the version of DRM in use is not supported by the Macintosh Windows Media Player, therefore you cannot view downloaded games on a Mac.

2. Can I transfer my downloaded game and license to my Portable Media Device?

Yes, transfer to Portable Media Devices is currently supported. Refer to instructions included with your Portable Media device for specific transfer steps.

3. Do I have to obtain a license every time I want to watch the downloaded game?

No. When you first try to play the game, a license will be distributed to you and stored by the player. Unless manually deleted, the license will exist forever and will be used when you try to watch the downloaded game on that machine. If you watch the game on a different machine, another license will be required.

4. I have a Windows PC and I am using Windows Media Player, but I cannot get a license.

The current Digital Rights Management technology is only available on Windows Media Players that are version 7.0 or higher. Windows Media Player versions 6.4 and Mac versions do not support this technology and are therefore incompatible.

5. When I click on the green Download button, the game begins playing in the Media Explorer bar in the corner of my browser. The game is streaming, not downloading. How do I download the game?

When you click on the green Download button, if the game immediately begins streaming in the corner of the browser (in other words, if the file is NOT downloading, which should take approximately 30 minutes), then you need to adjust the settings on your media bar player.
First, press the Stop button and the game will stop streaming.
Then, pull down the Media Options menu on the media bar player in the browser.

https://secure.mlb.com/mlb/images/help/faqs/im_dds_mediaopt.gif

Moving the cursor down to Settings pulls up a side menu of three settings. Uncheck the first setting, "Play web media in the bar."

https://secure.mlb.com/mlb/images/help/faqs/im_dds_uncheck.gif

After unchecking this setting, click on the green Download button again and the File Download dialogue box will appear. Select Save to begin the download process.

6. Can I burn a DDS game to DVD and watch them on my TV?

You can burn a DDS game onto a DVD, but only as a storage medium for computer files, not as a "TV quality" DVD. You can use your computer to write a DDS 350K Windows Media file to a data DVD (DVD-ROM) for storage (similar to writing to a CD for storage) so you don't have to keep it on your computer's hard drive. However, this is very different than a DVD-Video DVD (such as a motion picture DVD) that you view in high-resolution on your TV screen. DDS files are computer screen-resolution Windows Media files; DVDs that you watch on your TV are higher-resolution MPEG-2 format files.

In particular, it's important to understand the purpose of DVD recordable drives (DVD burners) for computers: these recorders can store data; creating full-featured DVD-Videos requires additional software to do video encoding (MPEG), audio encoding (Dolby Digital, MPEG, or PCM), navigation and control data generation, and so on.

DVD-Video discs require a DVD-drive with a MPEG-2 decoder (eg. a DVD-player or a DVD computer drive with a software DVD player). Commercial DVD movies are encoded using a combination of MPEG-2 compressed video and audio of varying formats (often multi-channel formats as described below). Typical data rates for DVD movies range from 3-10 Mbit/s, and the bitrate is usually adaptive.

7. Can CD-R writers create DVDs?

No. DVD uses a smaller wavelength of laser, and makes smaller pits in tracks that are closer together. Additionally, the DVD laser focuses at a different level, and CD-Rs made on a CD-R writer may not be readable by your DVD-ROM drive. For more information, we recommend you visit one of many web sites available that provide information on these formats, such as the FAQ section at http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html (http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html).

Unregistered
06-19-2005, 01:26 PM
4. I have a Windows PC and I am using Windows Media Player, but I cannot get a license.

The current Digital Rights Management technology is only available on Windows Media Players that are version 7.0 or higher. Windows Media Player versions 6.4 and Mac versions do not support this technology and are therefore incompatible.
Ah, right - I keep forgetting that there hasn't been an update of WMP for mac in a while - I guess you could use Virtual PC on a Mac and watch it if you already payed for it, but that's kind of a pain too...

oh well.

whtsx1959
06-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Why must we Mac users be persecuted?

captain54
06-19-2005, 04:23 PM
finally got it downloaded and have played back AJ's HR about 10 times....

the quality isn't the greatest with full screen....it's the entire WGN broadcast though, complete with commercials....

Brian26
06-19-2005, 05:34 PM
finally got it downloaded and have played back AJ's HR about 10 times....

the quality isn't the greatest with full screen....it's the entire WGN broadcast though, complete with commercials....

If I want to burn this to a disc, do I need to use a DVD disc as opposed to a CD-RW?

Brian26
06-19-2005, 05:38 PM
This is really amazing. This took 2 hours to download, but it's the complete game. The quality actually looks pretty good.

captain54
06-19-2005, 07:38 PM
If I want to burn this to a disc, do I need to use a DVD disc as opposed to a CD-RW?

I just burned to a CD-R and it worked fine....as long as you are playing it back on your computer thru the Windows Media Player....

Brian26
06-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I just burned to a CD-R and it worked fine....as long as you are playing it back on your computer thru the Windows Media Player....

Cool, thanks. The quality looks pretty decent as long as you keep it on the 100% ratio. It's when you blow it up to widescreen format that is gets grainy.

I haven't watched the entire thing yet, but I admit I fast-forwarded to the end. I was disappointed that they didn't show the AJ postgame interview.

skottyj242
06-20-2005, 09:51 AM
My dad happened to TIVO the game and he burnt it onto a DVD yesterday morning, he even got AJ's interview and Ozzie's press conference.

nasox
06-20-2005, 11:08 AM
use vlc media player to bypass the liscence. google for it, I use it for everything.

FARMEO
06-20-2005, 11:18 AM
I have the game recorded on my DVD Recorder, how can I download it to my PC so I can burn a DVD?

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 11:35 AM
without getting into any legalities, is it possible to somehow get tapes of last nite's game?

I was working last nite, and my VCR jammed 15 into the game...

I don't know what the legal policies are (probably illegal to tape and sell), but I would be willing to pay someone for a copy of last nite's game....

I taped the game.Got the whole thing and the news afterward.
PM me.We'll talk.Great call by Hawk on AJ's home run!:D: