PDA

View Full Version : Gene Honda Bungle

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 08:28 AM
I love ya, Gene, but you have to do some research!

Last night in introducing the members of the '59 Sox in attendance, Gene Honda pronounced the name of a pitcher who appeared in just four games with the team Claude Raymond (as in Everybody Loves). He is French Canadian. The pronunciation is closer to "Ramone."

downstairs
06-19-2005, 08:33 AM

Last night in introducing the members of the '59 Sox in attendance, Gene Honda pronounced the name of a pitcher who appeared in just four games with the team Claude Raymond (as in Everybody Loves). He is French Canadian. The pronunciation is closer to "Ramone."

Picky, picky!

Heh... I wonder if he's one of those who pronounces it Patrick Roy (as in the common first name Roy).

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Picky, picky!

Heh... I wonder if he's one of those who pronounces it Patrick Roy (as in the common first name Roy).

Well, I have to admit that I'm one of the three people outside of those actually connected with MLB who remembers Raymond. When I was a kid, the pronunciation (which Brickhouse actually got right), stuck in my mind.

kevingrt
06-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Well, I have to admit that I'm one of the three people outside of those actually connected with MLB who remembers Raymond. When I was a kid, the pronunciation (which Brickhouse actually got right), stuck in my mind.

I feel real young right know, not knowing anything about this guy

C-Dawg
06-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Eh, its probably real easy to slip up at the mike and not realize it.

A couple years I went to Comerica Park to see the Sox play there... During the introduction of the starting lineups, the Detroit announcer accidently called Tiger Carlos Pena as Carlos LEE. It was funny to hear the collective "Huh?" from the fans there; I yelled out "Hey, no, he's on OUR team!"

mike squires
06-19-2005, 10:35 AM

Luckily Harry didn't have to pronounce it. Who knows what it would have come out as...:D:

michned
06-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Eh, its probably real easy to slip up at the mike and not realize it.

A couple years I went to Comerica Park to see the Sox play there... During the introduction of the starting lineups, the Detroit announcer accidently called Tiger Carlos Pena as Carlos LEE. It was funny to hear the collective "Huh?" from the fans there; I yelled out "Hey, no, he's on OUR team!"

I remember in the '83 All-Star game Wayne Messmer introduced the "shorting-start-stop" (can't remember who it was).
:D:

Mammoo
06-19-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/64topps/64topps-504.jpg

SpammySosa
06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Luckily Harry didn't have to pronounce it. Who knows what it would have come out as...:D:
"Claude Raymond spelled backwards is Edualc Dnomyar!" Harry Caray

batmanZoSo
06-19-2005, 01:59 PM

Well this is America. When he's in Quebec, he can put the accent on whatever syllable he wants. :wink:

S-SideTrifecta
06-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Come on, give Gene Honda a break, this guy does a wonderful job announcing the games. I saw Gene in the parking lot at the ballpark a few weeks ago, he was wearing a Sox jacket, I told him that he does a really great job and he really appreciated the support and gave me a high-five for the Sox. He seemed like a really nice guy.

BigEdWalsh
06-19-2005, 02:19 PM

Hmmm. I'm one too. So who's the third?

PaulDrake
06-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Hmmm. I'm one too. So who's the third? I'm right here.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Come on, give Gene Honda a break, this guy does a wonderful job announcing the games. I saw Gene in the parking lot at the ballpark a few weeks ago, he was wearing a Sox jacket, I told him that he does a really great job and he really appreciated the support and gave me a high-five for the Sox. He seemed like a really nice guy.

Don't get your panties in a bunch S-Side. I'm on a first name basis with Gene. He definitely is one of the good guys. He just needed to check out the guy's name with an OF to get the pronunciation right!

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Hmmm. I'm one too. So who's the third?

His wife.

Viva Medias B's
06-19-2005, 03:45 PM
I wonder if Bob Sheppard would remember the correct way to say Raymond. He is probably the only PA announcer who was working back then and still is today.