PDA

View Full Version : ESPN loves Hawk?

DumpJerry
06-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Is it my imagination or is Hawk the only announcer whose calls make it on the Sportscenter and BBTN highlights? When watching the highlights, you see the action and hear the ESPN guy telling what you are looking at. When they show the Sox doing something good (usually a dinger), you either hear Hawk's call in the background, or they just go ahead and let him call it.

Say what you want about Hawk, but this proves that he is MLB's most excitable PBP guy and ESPN uses him to spice up the programming.:cool:

soxfan43
06-19-2005, 01:10 AM
I pretty much had the exact same thoughts while watching sportscenter tonight. yes, he can be a little much at times but his signature calls are classic and now more people outside of chicago will get to hear them.

TheOldRoman
06-19-2005, 01:14 AM
The morons at ESPN despise Hawk. They mock him all the time. During the 2003 home run derby that piece of garbage Chris Berman said "back back way back, you can put it on the board.. gone." He talked sarcastically several times about "our good friend Hawk". ESPN uses Hawk's voice mostly to make fun of him. Last year on BBTN Carl Ravech went off on Hawk after a highlight saying "my god, that has to be the worst home run call ever." They let people hear Hawk hoping they laugh at him and grow to hate him.

Mr. White Sox
06-19-2005, 01:18 AM
not to mention, i didn't hear his call at all during BBTN; I heard the Angels call but not Hawk's. They should play the Rooney/Farmer call though; it was pretty good tonight.

Stroker Ace
06-19-2005, 01:48 AM
ESPN uses Hawk's voice mostly to make fun of him. Last year on BBTN Carl Ravech went off on Hawk after a highlight saying "my god, that has to be the worst home run call ever." They let people hear Hawk hoping they laugh at him and grow to hate him.IIRC, that was after the philly- Sox game where there were 9 HR's. Sportscenter played Hawk's call after every Sox homer. And aren't we forgeting, if it isn't on the north side, NY or Boston, "The Network" just doesn't care.

iamkoza
06-19-2005, 01:54 AM
nobody except sox fans likes hawk, its that simple... and really everyone of us wuld dispise hawk if we had to listen him call some other teams game... thats just the way it is

elrod
06-19-2005, 06:27 AM
nobody except sox fans likes hawk, its that simple... and really everyone of us wuld dispise hawk if we had to listen him call some other teams game... thats just the way it is

Yup. Hawk is more of a loud fan sitting on the couch having a beer with you than an "objective' professional announcer. Imagine if he was a Cubs announcer?

soxjim
06-19-2005, 06:47 AM
I thought I herd his voice in the background on Baseball tonight. When the SOX beat the Dodgers with the walk off homer, one of the Rockford sportcasters said "Take it away Hawk"

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 06:53 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that Chicago, at least on TV has a tradition of announcers who have been "homers," starting with Jack Brickhouse. For those of you who are too young to remember him from anything other than the call of Banks's 500th home run, he did Sox games for about 20 years on WGN-TV, too, and was every bit as enthusiastic with his home run call as with the Cubs. (Plus, starting in 1960, he got to add "Bombs away!" to the "Hey! Hey!" call.

Even Harry Caray was a homer in his own way. He was they guy in the corner bar who would be enthusiastic about every great play, but was content bitching about everything that went wrong, too. Probably the Chicago play-by-play announcers who least fit that "homer" image were Don Drysdale with the Sox and Milo Hamilton with the Cubs.

Fredsox
06-19-2005, 07:07 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that Chicago, at least on TV has a tradition of announcers who have been "homers," starting with Jack Brickhouse. For those of you who are too young to remember him from anything other than the call of Banks's 500th home run, he did Sox games for about 20 years on WGN-TV, too, and was every bit as enthusiastic with his home run call as with the Cubs. (Plus, starting in 1960, he got to add "Bombs away!" to the "Hey! Hey!" call.

Even Harry Caray was a homer in his own way. He was they guy in the corner bar who would be enthusiastic about every great play, but was content bitching about everything that went wrong, too. Probably the Chicago play-by-play announcers who least fit that "homer" image were Don Drysdale with the Sox and Milo Hamilton with the Cubs.

I think all announcers affiliated with one team should be "homer"s. They're employees of the team (for the most part), they're certainly not considered journalists. I've have never understood it when people have said that a baseball announcer is "not objective enough", any more than I cannot understand how someone could truly be botj a cub fan and a Sox fan. As long as the announcers provide descriptive insight to the game, I have no problem with them catering to a specific audience.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-19-2005, 08:11 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - if ESPN hates Hawk, they've got no problem using his phrases like they invented them. It goes ALL the way back to the "Grab Some Bench" comments - including the nicknames. They make fun of all things Sox - but, again....

WHO CARES.

RavenswoodFan
06-19-2005, 09:37 AM
The morons at ESPN despise Hawk. They mock him all the time. During the 2003 home run derby that piece of garbage Chris Berman said "back back way back, you can put it on the board.. gone." He talked sarcastically several times about "our good friend Hawk". ESPN uses Hawk's voice mostly to make fun of him. Last year on BBTN Carl Ravech went off on Hawk after a highlight saying "my god, that has to be the worst home run call ever." They let people hear Hawk hoping they laugh at him and grow to hate him.

Berman is a drunkin idiot!:smile: Ravech just another moron...:tongue:

aniceItch
06-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Why does it have to be "oh, they are just making fun of him. they hate him" ?

I understand that they are not using them to compliment Hawk.
There are quite a few homer-istic announcers for teams in baseball.
Its not like Hawk is the only homer out there, and with the nature of Sportscenter..Hawk's sayings are just kind of funny..Well, in a non-complimentary way. When I was listening to Hawk baarely get through that AJ homerun call last night. I was laughing..what exactly is the difference.

mrwag
06-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't care what anyone says. During the 9th inning last night, Hawk was as much fun to listen to as the Sox were to watch. That home run call gave me chills, as did the replay on the web. I cannot imagine the Sox without the Hawk.

soxfanreggie
06-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Personally, I am a Hawk fan...I miss Whimpy too. DJ is a good guy, but as an announcer, not a big fan. I completely understand that he will not be the most objective guy, but I am a White Sox fan...gotta love it!

Iguana775
06-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Is it my imagination or is Hawk the only announcer whose calls make it on the Sportscenter and BBTN highlights? When watching the highlights, you see the action and hear the ESPN guy telling what you are looking at. When they show the Sox doing something good (usually a dinger), you either hear Hawk's call in the background, or they just go ahead and let him call it.

Say what you want about Hawk, but this proves that he is MLB's most excitable PBP guy and ESPN uses him to spice up the programming.:cool:

it would be awesome if they brought in Hawk to announce the game tonite. LOL.

mccombe_35
06-19-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't care what anyone says. During the 9th inning last night, Hawk was as much fun to listen to as the Sox were to watch. That home run call gave me chills, as did the replay on the web. I cannot imagine the Sox without the Hawk.

Great post. I agree.

Not sure why Hawk is considered so much more of a "homer" than other announcers. (In this city Rooney, Wimpy, Santo, Harry Carey come to mind)

MIgrenade
06-19-2005, 12:21 PM

First, if you want a bad homerun call, look to Berman. Second, nobody likes the Sox except Sox fans so it's fitting nobody likes the announcers. Same goes for the manager, general manager, etc

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Hal:

Remember Milo made his mark with the Sox long before he went to the Cubs.

Also if anyone wants to hear Jack Brickhouse doing a Sox home run on TV go to this link, then click on the Floyd Robinson call from 1965. (You can also hear Milo calling two Son home runs from 1964!)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

Lip

spongyfungy
06-19-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't think the ESPN guys are mocking him at all. Berman just forgot how the call went. Reynolds uses "mercy" every other minute. Many of the sportscenter anchors use hawkisms while doing White Sox highlights. It's a total homage to Hawk.

And if Ravech did say that and meant it, he can piss off.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Hal:

Remember Milo made his mark with the Sox long before he went to the Cubs.

Also if anyone wants to hear Jack Brickhouse doing a Sox home run on TV go to this link, then click on the Floyd Robinson call from 1965. (You can also hear Milo calling two Son home runs from 1964!)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

Lip

You bet I remember Milo with the Sox, but it was with the Cubs that he was at least the semi-lead guy.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't think the ESPN guys are mocking him at all. Berman just forgot how the call went. Reynolds uses "mercy" every other minute. Many of the sportscenter anchors use hawkisms while doing White Sox highlights. It's a total homage to Hawk.

Mercy isn't even a Hawk original. It was used by a Red Sox announcer back in the '70s. I can't remember his name, but Hawk and the guy who wrote the book on the 101 best announcers talked about it during last night's game (which I'm in the middle of watching on my DVR).

TDog
06-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Yup. Hawk is more of a loud fan sitting on the couch having a beer with you than an "objective' professional announcer. Imagine if he was a Cubs announcer?

That is a great point. And Harrelson never even played for the Sox. The same "loud fan" applied to Harry Caray, who was so beloved that fans didn't care as they watched his brain disintegrate. The problem was, when Harry Caray was doing Sox games, he was more of a Cardinals fan. Carlos May's number 17, I constantly heard, was the number Dizzy Dean made famous. Sox fans heard a lot of stories about Bob Gibson and Stan Musial, too.

Funny how that changed when Harry Caray went to the Cubs.

MHOUSE
06-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I like when Tony Reali uses "He Gone" when he makes a cut from Around the Horn. It's pretty good stuff. I don't care if they want to poke fun or not, but hearing Hawk call a walk-off or game-tying homer and watching the Cell erupt will give anyone goosebumps.

nedlug
06-19-2005, 02:55 PM

I agree. When your team's highlights are on SC, you pay more attention to the announcer. They never say "you can put it on the board" save for Sox highlights. I think it's just to satisfy people like us, who, whether we like ESPN or not, like to hear the Hawk-ism in their highlights.