PDA

View Full Version : Interesting analysis of the AL Central race

NUCatsFan
06-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Was looking around and saw this (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3695480) posted on FoxSports.com from Dayn Perry. Interesting what he has to say and seems like a very fair analysis. And not just because he predicts the Sox to win it. :)

Palehose13
06-19-2005, 12:49 AM
This is really nice to read:

Thomas, truly one of the great sluggers of his era and (if there's any justice) a future first-ballot Hall of Famer,

iamkoza
06-19-2005, 02:02 AM
I dont agree with his frank thomas assesment, or at least i would say an injury to one of the SP (besides el duque) would be the most damaging.

hab_m_b
06-19-2005, 02:03 AM
This is the same idiot that predicted the White Sox to finish 4th in the AL Central race. The Sox are leading the AL Central because we have the best record in our division (20-5), and if we continue to dominate it, we'll definetely win it, regardless of how we do against the Yanks, Red Sox, or any other non- AL Central team.

chisox06
06-19-2005, 02:10 AM
This is the same idiot that predicted the White Sox to finish 4th in the AL Central race. The Sox are leading the AL Central because we have the best record in our division (20-5), and if we continue to dominate it, we'll definetely win it, regardless of how we do against the Yanks, Red Sox, or any other non- AL Central team.

I'm glad you pointed that out because I remember his assesment too before the season. Real easy to pick the Sox now because the games are finally being played, now he tries to be a know it all when his first prediction well at least so far, is way off.

Flight #24
06-19-2005, 06:07 AM
This may be the "tallest midget" award, but a "journalist" who rethinks his predictions based on 1/3 to 1/2 season of actual performance and does it relatively objectively seems praiseworthy to me. Of course, he does need better factchecking - the lead's 6.5 now!!!

Of interest to me is that looking at some of the "objective" stathead #s indicate that we have as good or slightly better a chance than the Twins from here on out - but we have Frank back recently, and already have a 6.5 lead. IMO, It's testament to the way BP twists their "analysis" that they only have us a 6% better favorite given that.

elrod
06-19-2005, 06:11 AM
Once again, his name is Dayn. Now you try to pronounce that.
That said, I think he's right. We've relied on Everett at the DH spot all year and it's worked because he's a big clutch hitter and our starting pitching has been so sound. But as some of our starters struggle, as anybody not named Mark Buehrle has lately, we need more offensive pop in the middle of the lineup. Frank brings that because of the number of pitches he takes and the sheer fear that he strikes in opposing pitchers. I like the numbers on Frank since 2003 too. I remember him leading the AL in OPS before he got hurt last year so I don't think his numbers this year, so far, are that out of line. The big key, I guess, is depth. Now that we can rotate between Frank, Everett, Dye, Pods and Rowand we will always have a superb hitter off the bench.

I also believe that the starting rotation is the key. As much as they've struggled lately, I just don't have any confidence in Brandon McCarthy right now. In fact, I'm not sure I'd even want him up here if one of our starters goes down.

Fredsox
06-19-2005, 06:56 AM
This may be the "tallest midget" award, but a "journalist" who rethinks his predictions based on 1/3 to 1/2 season of actual performance and does it relatively objectively seems praiseworthy to me. Of course, he does need better factchecking - the lead's 6.5 now!!!

Of interest to me is that looking at some of the "objective" stathead #s indicate that we have as good or slightly better a chance than the Twins from here on out - but we have Frank back recently, and already have a 6.5 lead. IMO, It's testament to the way BP twists their "analysis" that they only have us a 6% better favorite given that.

I'm sorry. This guy was one of those people ignoring the Sox early, predicting a season looking up at the Twins and the Indians. Now that we're 23 games over .500 and have the best record, he's back-pedaling. Just because he's writing positive things about the Sox does not mean he's my new buddy. He's a putz. He will continue to be a putz. His article is self-serving so he looks like he's capable of recognizing a talented team.

Example of his sage predictive capability as the season started:
"It's been another unfocused and generally harmful off-season for GM Kenny Williams. They achieved a nifty upgrade with the A.J. Pierzynski signing, but the Carlos Lee trade will be a low-grade disaster. Jermaine Dye was not a sage addition, and the small-ball tactics of manager Ozzie Guillen will hurt the offensive attack."
Read the entire article here (http://http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3473680).

Screw this guy and his predictions.