PDA

View Full Version : The tipping point

Reminds me of 83
06-18-2005, 11:02 PM
The wrap up a Baseball Tonight focused on the White Sox win. Have we reached the point where media respect and focus is headed to the South Side?

Kinda cool!:D:

elrod
06-18-2005, 11:04 PM
It's hard to overlook this win. So many amazing things about it. We were dead. DEAD. Until the bottom of the 9th. It was like two different teams out there.

gobears1987
06-18-2005, 11:05 PM
It's hard to overlook this win. So many amazing things about it. We were dead. DEAD. Until the bottom of the 9th. It was like two different teams out there.
This isn't anything new. Remember the 2nd game of the year?

rwcescato
06-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Just maybe it has something to do with the Sox being on Sunday Night baseball tomorrow. Just maybe they are trying to draw more viewers to the tv station.
I just hope we don't throw a dud like we do so many times on ESPN.
GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!!
Lets pull out the sweep and bring on the great KC Royals.
Rich
:supernana:

elrod
06-18-2005, 11:44 PM

Let's just hope they don't follow it up with what happened in Game Three. Seriously, though, games in the first week are always wacky because closers aren't in their groove yet. Mariano Rivera blew two saves in his first two chances, but hasn't blown one since.

gobears1987
06-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Let's just hope they don't follow it up with what happened in Game Three. Seriously, though, games in the first week are always wacky because closers aren't in their groove yet. Mariano Rivera blew two saves in his first two chances, but hasn't blown one since.
We won't repeat game 3 because Shingo isn't closing anymore. Wickman's blown save wasn't an isolated incident. The Sox own him. Remember when he blew that 2nd save on the 5th of this month, it was against the Sox. He had given up 3 HRs to that point. All to White Sox hitters and at USCF. WIckman wasn't out of a groove, we just own him.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 01:00 AM
The 1983 season turned on a late May night at Comiskey Park when the Sox went to work on Boston's Doug Bird. He hadn't lost in two seasons when the Sox demolished him by hitting five home runs. They were a different team the next day and for the rest of the season.

The 1993 season turned on a July night in the new Comiskey Park, when Frank Thomas took a slider from the Royals Jeff Montgomery into the seats for a two run home run turning defeat into a win. (Even though the blast came in the 8th inning.) The Royals were about to close to with 2 1/2 games of the Sox....they ended the game 4 1/2 out.

Looking back four months from now Sox fans may well remember A.J.'s blast as the night the Sox, for all practical purposes, punched their ticket to the playoffs and perhaps playing in late October.

Lip

elrod
06-19-2005, 07:32 AM
The 1983 season turned on a late May night at Comiskey Park when the Sox went to work on Boston's Doug Bird. He hadn't lost in two seasons when the Sox demolished him by hitting five home runs. They were a different team the next day and for the rest of the season.

The 1993 season turned on a July night in the new Comiskey Park, when Frank Thomas took a slider from the Royals Jeff Montgomery into the seats for a two run home run turning defeat into a win. (Even though the blast came in the 8th inning.) The Royals were about to close to with 2 1/2 games of the Sox....they ended the game 4 1/2 out.

Looking back four months from now Sox fans may well remember A.J.'s blast as the night the Sox, for all practical purposes, punched their ticket to the playoffs and perhaps playing in late October.

Lip
And don't forget Jeff Abbott.

I tend to agree that heroic late-inning wins really propel a team. But I have to wonder if this team is a bit "too" even-keeled to be affected by a huge win like this, though. The flip side, of course, is that if they blow a late-inning game they can turn it around and win the next day (like last week in SD). This White Sox team is so special precisely because it doesn't need a crazy spark to go out and win day after day. Just consistency, depth and solid starting pitching. Individual players might go on a run, but I think these guys have so much confidence in each other that they just expect to pull out a win in the end. Teams with fragile egos like the Yankees this year seem to live and die with the late-inning heroics, in both directions.

kevingrt
06-19-2005, 10:31 AM
The media, especially ESPN, goes through streaks with us and they do every team except the ones they love. For a week or so they'll do specials on Ozzie, Buerhle, Garland, etc. Then they will shut up about us for a week and just show the highlights. Then we'll beat a big team, LA Dodgers, and back to another love fest. Then we'll lose a cople in a row and all of ESPN wil go and this is the Sox we have been expecting all year.

Truly, I try to tune off to the media, especially ESPN, when it regards the Sox.

Madvora
06-19-2005, 10:35 AM
The media, especially ESPN, goes through streaks with us and they do every team except the ones they love. For a week or so they'll do specials on Ozzie, Buerhle, Garland, etc. Then they will shut up about us for a week and just show the highlights. Then we'll beat a big team, LA Dodgers, and back to another love fest. Then we'll lose a cople in a row and all of ESPN wil go and this is the Sox we have been expecting all year.

Truly, I try to tune off to the media, especially ESPN, when it regards the Sox.

Agree with you there man. I get most of the truth right here on this site.
I'll read the Chicago papers then come on this site and complain about them here with everybody else.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2005, 10:38 AM
It's too early to tell, but last night's ninth inning Sox comeback victory combined with the Twins falling back to 6.5 games just might be one of those dates we remember as a Turning Point to the season.

The pressure is on Minnesota to make it not so. I'll be watching closely. Go Sox!!!
:cool:

SOXintheBURGH
06-19-2005, 10:50 AM
I think my entire building heard me scream the following words:

"Oh **** thats gone!! Get out! Get out!! You can put it on the boooooooard.. YES!!!" Following by shouts of "F*** yeah!!"

For some reason I had never been more excited by a Sox win all year.. Maybe cause it was AJ, maybe because it was LA, maybe because the Cell was packed last night.. But this game was the Turning Point.

RallyBowl
06-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Definitely the most excited I have been yet this season.Sitting here reading allof these posts, I am getting the chills just thinking about last night. Definitely a great game that we will all remember for a long time. Now lets get the:sweep

downstairs
06-19-2005, 12:11 PM
A sweep of the Flubs, and this city will begin to be ours. Mark my words.

Pasqua's Posers
06-19-2005, 01:05 PM
i called my best friend as the sox tied it up. He was shocked b/c he had already parked the car and started heading into the concert (Toby Keith). He called back during AJ's at bat and stayed on the phone with me until it was over. He was going nuts along with myself.

That's the stuff memories-forever-are made of.

PicktoCLick72
06-19-2005, 03:45 PM
How about an 18 game winning streak? Notice no teal.