View Full Version : Saturday's Winning Pick to Click

Daver
06-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Won the damn game.

:AJ:

Playing these NL teams is a breeze.

PAPChiSox729
06-18-2005, 08:48 PM
And to think I picked him because Dessens had trouble with lefties. Man, was I lucky!:D:

delben91
06-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Won the damn game.

I absolutely love seeing this line at the top of the PTC winner thread. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey Daver, I do not intend to be a smart***, but do you still have concerns about A.J. as the Sox starting catcher?

In addition to the big game-winning homer, he threw out Oscar Robles when he tried to steal second after he got aboard via the dreaded leadoff walk in the second inning tonight. He also got a nice assist on Robles' failure to steal second and then run back to first base in the ninth. Also, we can't argue with the results the Sox pitchers have had throwing to him (not to take anything away from the pitchers or from Cooper, though).

So, has A.J. done anything to change your opinion of him as a catcher? I've never played the position (or coached or scouted, either) so I'm really counting on - and trust - your observations and analysis. Thanks!

Daver
06-18-2005, 09:53 PM
So, has A.J. done anything to change your opinion of him as a catcher? I've never played the position (or coached or scouted, either) so I'm really counting on - and trust - your observations and analysis. Thanks!

No.

AJ is and always will be a below average defensive catcher, I cringe when he goes out to catch Jose Contreas, he's lucky to stop half of the forkballs in the dirt. Don Cooper calls most of the pitches from the dugout, which is fine by me, and I don't know that we will see many catchers that call a game again, it is becoming a lost art.

My main problem with AJ is the fact that he can't field his position, taking a throw at the plate and applying a tag are things he struggles with, he manages to block the plate, but means little if you can't catch the ball to go with it.

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2005, 09:59 PM
No.

AJ is and always will be a below average defensive catcher, I cringe when he goes out to catch Jose Contreas, he's lucky to stop half of the forkballs in the dirt. Don Cooper calls most of the pitches from the dugout, which is fine by me, and I don't know that we will see many catchers that call a game again, it is becoming a lost art.

My main problem with AJ is the fact that he can't field his position, taking a throw at the plate and applying a tag are things he struggles with, he manages to block the plate, but means little if you can't catch the ball to go with it.

Thanks, Daver! When I am able to watch on WGN, I too cringe at the number of ball that seem to get past him (wild pitches, 58-footers or passed balls). Still, I'm glad he's a member of this team, especially tonight!

Mr. White Sox
06-19-2005, 01:15 AM
And to think I picked him because Dessens had trouble with lefties. Man, was I lucky!:D:

I picked him because he was 8/9 against Dessens coming into the game...ironic that he got 0 against him, but homered against Brazoban. Awesome stuff.

The Wimperoo
06-19-2005, 01:25 AM
All 3 of those pitches that he missed tonight seemed like pretty easy stops if he could just move a little behind the plate.

doublem23
06-19-2005, 03:34 AM
TBGR: Party Like it's 1959 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2876)