PDA

View Full Version : Retro Jerseys

Ventura Fan 23
06-18-2005, 07:10 PM
I think they're awesome! Very cool...

PAPChiSox729
06-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Those socks are definitely the best part of the uniform. The whole thing does look cool.

:cool:

Juice16
06-18-2005, 07:50 PM
I love the uniforms! I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I'm a little tired of the silver and black. Navy and red are definatly sharp. I think the current style with the navy and red would look sweet.

Jeremy
06-18-2005, 08:04 PM
I like the retro broadcast on WGN too, when they show the batting stats they do it with just plain text on the screen and no graphics.

darklord23
06-18-2005, 08:14 PM
i really like the sox retro jerseys, but the dodgers don't seem to much out of the ordinary to me. Also the retro text on the screen is also very appealing to me.

mealfred13
06-18-2005, 08:16 PM
i really like the sox retro jerseys, but the dodgers don't seem to much out of the ordinary to me. Also the retro text on the screen is also very appealing to me.

I don't think the Dodgers are wearing throw-back jerseys. I do like the retro text on the screen as well, but it would look a lot better if they used a retro banner at the top also. The modern score banner clashes with the retro player info. Pretty cool idea all around though.

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 08:21 PM
I wish I could see them. If anyone gets a picture later on please post it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Here's a picture of Freddy in the retro uni
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050619/capt.cxs10306190034.dodgers__white_sox_cxs103.jpg

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks 1337, Those do looks sharp. What Socks are they wearing?

SoxWillWin
06-18-2005, 09:07 PM
The Dodgers Uniforms haven't changed much since '59 if you think about it

NSSoxFan
06-18-2005, 09:13 PM
The Dodgers Uniforms haven't changed much since '59 if you think about it

I believe that those are throwbacks that the Dodgers are wearing. Not 100% sure though.

MisterB
06-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Acccording the the Baseball HoF's uniform database (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm), this is what the Dodgers uni's were in '59:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1959_losangeles.gif

which is the same as their current uniforms...

StockdaleForVeep
06-18-2005, 09:35 PM
i think i like the retro graphics and fonts used on the screen better

PicktoCLick72
06-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Undefeated in retro jerseys this year.

LongLiveFisk
06-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Acccording the the Baseball HoF's uniform database (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm), this is what the Dodgers uni's were in '59:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1959_losangeles.gif

And all along I thought they weren't participating in this. :tongue:

Wsoxmike59
06-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Cool uniform, I wish we could keep wearing 'em for the rest of the season.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050619/i/r1824983052.jpg?x=229&y=345&sig=tOnoJKqy9ijoWRR5V_C4Ew--http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050619/i/r2114626398.jpg?x=263&y=345&sig=hMefcjWK3tMF1uOjPQ4jwA--http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050619/capt.cxs10606190210.dodgers__white_sox_cxs106.jpg? x=380&y=282&sig=pbeCPzrU_jGPrwjYttDbiQ--
"That's a White Owl wallop!"

Bob Elson's HR call during the 50's

jehosaphat
06-18-2005, 11:48 PM

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050619/i/r1824983052.jpg?x=229&y=345&sig=tOnoJKqy9ijoWRR5V_C4Ew--http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050619/i/r2114626398.jpg?x=263&y=345&sig=hMefcjWK3tMF1uOjPQ4jwA--http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050619/capt.cxs10606190210.dodgers__white_sox_cxs106.jpg? x=380&y=282&sig=pbeCPzrU_jGPrwjYttDbiQ--

AGREE:supernana: ! I heard on the radio that they had to get permission from MLB something like a year in advance - so I guess it won't happen. But, the uniforms were cool, especially on speedsters like Podsednik and Harris.

TornLabrum
06-18-2005, 11:52 PM
And you'll notice those weren't stockings they were wearing. They were stirrups. (I had trouble telling from where I was sitting because back in the '50s they didn't have the stirrups stretched almost to their kneecaps like they did in the '70s and '80s.

I miss stirrups....

kj.hayes
06-18-2005, 11:55 PM
I like the retro broadcast on WGN too, when they show the batting stats they do it with just plain text on the screen and no graphics.

Agreed. At first that kind of threw me, but it was a nice touch on WGN's part.

whtsx1959
06-19-2005, 12:06 AM
I was very pleased with the throwback day today. Usually teams just use old uni's and thats it.
The sox do it right (being the invetors of throwbacks)
I loved the songs (Lets GO GO GO White Sox and the played other songs from '59)
Now hearing about the retro graphics on WGN
It was awesome.

I tried to see if the Dodgers were wearing throwbacks. All I saw was the numbers on the back weren't 'framed' in another color.

illinibk
06-19-2005, 12:42 AM

Those do look sharp, though I am not a fan of how AJ is wearing the pants, just looks stupid.

BlackHat91
06-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Im impressed. I just ordered one of the hats that they wore today.

Tragg
06-19-2005, 12:48 AM
I always liked the touch of red in the Sox unis that we've seen from time to time - 1972 and 1990 to name a couple of years.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 12:50 AM
The Sox have not worn those type of uniforms since the end of the 1963 season. They changed to basic navy and white the following year. They have never even worn them as a replica before tonight.

When I saw those uniforms especially at night in the late innings with the lights on I got goose bumps. Suddenly it was June 1963 again at Comiskey Park, my first game watching Gary Peters one hit the Orioles. Incredible night then...incredible night now.

Lip

NWSox
06-19-2005, 01:09 AM
I love the retro uniforms. They look fantastic. I can't imagine the players like the baggy look, but I think the whole look is great. It makes the comeback win even better to watch.

Maximo
06-19-2005, 01:15 AM
The Sox have not worn those type of uniforms since the end of the 1963 season. They changed to basic navy and white the following year. They have never even worn them as a replica before tonight.

When I saw those uniforms especially at night in the late innings with the lights on I got goose bumps. Suddenly it was June 1963 again at Comiskey Park, my first game watching Gary Peters one hit the Orioles. Incredible night then...incredible night now.

Lip

I felt the same way, Lip. I think they might be the best Sox jersey in my lifetime,

flo-B-flo
06-19-2005, 01:19 AM

Bob Elson's HR call during the 50's I agree. Cool ass unis!!! I love that the youngins' think retro is cool.

Interlake
06-19-2005, 01:20 AM
I know it's not the exact same look but I swear that was Carl "No NecK" Everett out in right tonight.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 01:21 AM
I think my profile says I like the '71-'75 jersey best. What the hell was I thinking??????

One thing to keep in mind is that the original jerseys were made of wool flannel. I can imagine that they were pretty uncomfortable on a hot summer afternoon (and most games back then were in the afternoon). I wonder if these were wool, cotton, or polyester.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Hal:

Can you imagine how much they sell for when the Sox put them up for auction?

Lip

TheOldRoman
06-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Here is the story on the Dodgers jerseys:

They wore their normal road jerseys. Coming into this year, they took the names off them. Their current road jerseys are the same as the '59 ones except for the piping and the white outlines around the letters and numbers. I guess they figured it wasn't worth wearing throwbacks when there were only a few trivial differences.
To respond to the person who said the Dodgers' jerseys hadnt changed much since 59- they changed and then changed back. Throughout the 70s, 80s, and 90s they wore ugly road jerseys that said "Dodgers" on the chest and had blue and white elastic on the sleeves. A few years ago they switched to their current jersey "Los Angeles" on the chest, with blue piping. Very nice look, but I thought it was better with the names on the back.

The Sox looked absolutely amazing tonight. I wasn't alive to see these jerseys in their heyday, but I really felt like I was a part of it seeing them in those jerseys.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2005, 02:09 AM
I love the uniforms! I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I'm a little tired of the silver and black. Navy and red are definatly sharp. I think the current style with the navy and red would look sweet.Once again, it's not navy, it's black. They didn't change to navy until 1964, and then they did away with the red trim.

I can't tell you how much watching them playing in those uniforms, floppy and all, brought me back to my childhood. They looked like baseball players.

All we needed to make it complete was for everyone to wear solid black shoes, (all the modern shoe striping took away from it some) for everyone to wear the pants just below the knees with the stirrups showing (wearing those baggy pants all the way down to the shoetops really looked stupid) and for Big Frank to be Big Klu, and take a pair of scissors and chop off the sleeves. Can you imagine Frank's guns on display like that? Of course, that's no longer allowed.

I doubt that they were wool flannel like the originals, but if you think about it, in the days before comfortable synthetics, wool was probably the best choice. Cotton flannel would have just absorbed sweat and become heavy and clinging. Wool flannel wicked the sweat away.

doublem23
06-19-2005, 02:12 AM
They definitely looked good, but this it's definitely not a look to be overused. Silver and black, baby. Best uniform the Sox have ever put out.

Though, they're always nicer when coupled with a walk-off winner.

mike squires
06-19-2005, 02:16 AM
A lot of our guys looked really good in them tonight especially Garcia, Pods and Konerko.

mike squires
06-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Im impressed. I just ordered one of the hats that they wore today.

Where did you order it? MLB.com? I'll have to check into one too. Is it "mesh" like the BP hat?

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Where did you order it? MLB.com? I'll have to check into one too. Is it "mesh" like the BP hat?You can order them off the Sox website. They are wool, fitted caps, not mesh. Just like the originals.

brewcrew/chisox
06-19-2005, 02:28 AM
Love em! Although I wish Freddie would have tucked in his shirt tail! He still looked awesome though

Stroker Ace
06-19-2005, 02:43 AM
I like the Retro jerseys every once in a while. 2-3 times a year is fine. Lets not turn it ionto the NBA.:D:

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2005, 02:57 AM
I like the Retro jerseys every once in a while. 2-3 times a year is fine. Lets not turn it into the NBA.There's trendy retro (like now, where everyone wears the absolutely ugliest version of their team's uniform as a badge of honor) and then there's cool retro, where you say "why did we ever stop using this uniform?"

Brian26
06-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Here is the story on the Dodgers jerseys:

They wore their normal road jerseys. Coming into this year, they took the names off them. Their current road jerseys are the same as the '59 ones except for the piping and the white outlines around the letters and numbers. I guess they figured it wasn't worth wearing throwbacks when there were only a few trivial differences.

I can't believe this thread is three pages long and nobody has the right answer on this yet.

The Dodgers *DID* wear retro jerseys tonight. Their road jerseys tonight did not have the white piping around the letters or numbers. You are correct in saying their are minor differences between the current road unis and the '59 unis, but they definitely did wear old versions tonight.

Ok- as far as the Sox '59 retro uniforms. I thought it was nice to see them wear them once, just as it was nice to see the '83 jerseys come out for a game two years. However, they should not be worn on a regular basis, and they are no way close to as good as the current silver and black uniforms.

This is absolutely my #1 pet peeve: people who want to change the jerseys just for the sake of changing them. The current old english "SOX" is actually a bit sleeker and more stylized than the '59 version. I've also always hated the fact that the '59 uniform had an old english "SOX" while the hat had block letter "SOX". It just didn't match. The cream-colored uni just doesn't look very nice either. I'm glad they pulled them out for one night, but for the love of god, I hope the Sox don't change their current unis for another 50 years.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 03:04 AM
There's trendy retro (like now, where everyone wears the absolutely ugliest version of their team's uniform as a badge of honor) and then there's cool retro, where you say "why did we ever stop using this uniform?"

Maybe they should have never stopped wearing them back when they changed the color scheme in the early 60's, but why can't we just consider the current unis as a sleeker, improved, updated version of them?

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Maybe they should have never stopped wearing them back when they changed the color scheme in the early 60's, but why can't we just consider the current unis as a sleeker, improved, updated version of them?Because I think that the red trim looks better than the gray trim?

I'm not calling for a return. I like the current uniforms, and I'm sick of the Sox changing more often than anyone else in baseball. But I would have been very happy if they had never gone away from the uniform they wore tonight. The red pinstripes weren't bad at all, but man, we suffered through some really bad uniforms in between, some of which are now being celebrated as "retro."

PeteWard
06-19-2005, 04:19 AM

I think they should wear these twice a month or so at the most, junking our ugly black jerseys. Combined with our extremely sharp road grays:cool: and the regular home, that would suit me.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Hal:

Can you imagine how much they sell for when the Sox put them up for auction?

Lip

I have a feeling that some high rollers will bid well into four figures for them.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Once again, it's not navy, it's black. They didn't change to navy until 1964, and then they did away with the red trim.

I can't tell you how much watching them playing in those uniforms, floppy and all, brought me back to my childhood. They looked like baseball players.

All we needed to make it complete was for everyone to wear solid black shoes, (all the modern shoe striping took away from it some) for everyone to wear the pants just below the knees with the stirrups showing (wearing those baggy pants all the way down to the shoetops really looked stupid) and for Big Frank to be Big Klu, and take a pair of scissors and chop off the sleeves. Can you imagine Frank's guns on display like that? Of course, that's no longer allowed.

I doubt that they were wool flannel like the originals, but if you think about it, in the days before comfortable synthetics, wool was probably the best choice. Cotton flannel would have just absorbed sweat and become heavy and clinging. Wool flannel wicked the sweat away.

Not only that, but cotton has a nasty tendency react with sweat (which I guess is slightly acidic, although I never personally measured its pH), and make holes pretty quickly when you sweat a lot. Wool, reacts with bases, so it won't do that.

I had forgotton how cool the stirrups looked with those uniforms, probably because I only saw a few games during that era (after all it WAS a 60+ mile drive to the park and my dad was nowhere near the fan I was...plus he was putting my brother through college), so my main recollections are in black and white.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 07:36 AM
I can't believe this thread is three pages long and nobody has the right answer on this yet.

The Dodgers *DID* wear retro jerseys tonight. Their road jerseys tonight did not have the white piping around the letters or numbers. You are correct in saying their are minor differences between the current road unis and the '59 unis, but they definitely did wear old versions tonight.

Ok- as far as the Sox '59 retro uniforms. I thought it was nice to see them wear them once, just as it was nice to see the '83 jerseys come out for a game two years. However, they should not be worn on a regular basis, and they are no way close to as good as the current silver and black uniforms.

This is absolutely my #1 pet peeve: people who want to change the jerseys just for the sake of changing them. The current old english "SOX" is actually a bit sleeker and more stylized than the '59 version. I've also always hated the fact that the '59 uniform had an old english "SOX" while the hat had block letter "SOX". It just didn't match. The cream-colored uni just doesn't look very nice either. I'm glad they pulled them out for one night, but for the love of god, I hope the Sox don't change their current unis for another 50 years.

Yeah, whatever...to each his own, or as my dad was fond of saying, "As the cow said when she licked her [rear end], 'It's all a matter of taste.'"

Back to the Dodgers jerseys: If they were retro, no one bothered to tell them that players in those days didn't wear their pants down to theri friggin' shoes. Also, they weren't nearly baggy enough.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Back to the Dodgers jerseys: If they were retro, no one bothered to tell them that players in those days didn't wear their pants down to theri friggin' shoes. Also, they weren't nearly baggy enough.

EXACTLY. That's why these "throwback" uniforms never work as an everyday uniform choice. The players today don't wear the uniforms the way the originals were worn.

The contrast was stark last night. The Sox had the look because of the way the uniforms had the baggy fit of 1959. Meanwhile LA was wearing nearly identical uniforms from 1959 yet the cut was for everyday use by 21st century players. The "look" was all wrong.

I'm all for nostalgia (this website stands as testament to it) but bringing back old uniform styles for everyday use just doesn't work. Those 1917 world championship Sunday-only uniforms from 2001 became a bit of a joke by August when the Sox were sinking in the standings. One-game only nostalgia is the way to go.

Great memories of the Go-Go Sox were invoked last night and great job by the Sox and WGN to make it work well. Now let's be happy with our memories and move on. There is still a championship to be won, and it has very little to do with nostalgia or dated uniform styles.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah, whatever...to each his own, or as my dad was fond of saying, "As the cow said when she licked her [rear end], 'It's all a matter of taste.'"

I think guys like you and Lip have a certain affection for those unis (and understandably so) because they were wearing them when you were young and first started watching baseball. You're correct, it's about personal taste...but I think they finally got it right in 1990 when they unveiled the current unis and hope they never change. It's been 15 years now with the same uni...that's got to be close to a record for the Sox. I hope they keep them for another 50 years.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Those 1917 world championship Sunday-only uniforms from 2001 became a bit of a joke by August when the Sox were sinking in the standings. One-game only nostalgia is the way to go.

Great memories of the Go-Go Sox were invoked last night and great job by the Sox and WGN to make it work well. Now let's be happy with our memories and move on. There is still a championship to be won, and it has very little to do with nostalgia or dated uniform styles.

Gospel.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I think guys like you and Lip have a certain affection for those unis (and understandably so) because they were wearing them when you were young and first started watching baseball. You're correct, it's about personal taste...but I think they finally got it right in 1990 when they unveiled the current unis and hope they never change. It's been 15 years now with the same uni...that's got to be close to a record for the Sox. I hope they keep them for another 50 years.

You forgot to mention one thing. They wore those uniforms the last time they won the freakin' pennant.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 11:26 AM
You forgot to mention one thing. They wore those uniforms the last time they won the freakin' pennant.

Give it about four months :D:

SpringfldFan
06-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Personally, I like change, but I also love the Old english "S-o-x" logo they use now. I know I am in the minority, but I would love if they "refresh" their uniform design every so often but preserve tradition by always keeping the logo they have now. That is the one thing that links, and will always link, current sox teams with the earlier sox teams.

SFF

Brian26
06-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Personally, I like change, but I also love the Old english "S-o-x" logo they use now. I know I am in the minority, but I would love if they "refresh" their uniform design every so often but preserve tradition by always keeping the logo they have now. That is the one thing that links, and will always link, current sox teams with the earlier sox teams.

SFF

I think changing the uniforms hurts tradition. Look at the Yankees and Dodgers- who have hardly ever even tweaked their unis. Keep the silver and black forever.

Mammoo
06-19-2005, 11:42 AM
I love the retro-unis...the distinguishing thing for me has always been the old English Sox logo...so as long as that stays I'll be happy.

As stated before...I like the wide white stripe on the socks. That would be a nice finishing touch on the current version.

BTW...I like that loose look of the old uni...I wonder if it was comfortable.

I see no reason why they can't roll in an old uni...let's say four times a year.

LongLiveFisk
06-19-2005, 11:48 AM
I think changing the uniforms hurts tradition. Look at the Yankees and Dodgers- who have hardly ever even tweaked their unis. Keep the silver and black forever.

Yeah, all things considered, I agree with you here. I would like the Sox to use the current uniforms as their permanent uniforms, as those teams you mentioned along with the (cough, cough!) Red Sox and Cubs have stuck to their traditional look and it has become a part of their lore. Instead of being trendy I would like us to follow the same path, as the White Sox are a longtime organization just as those are.

I do absolutely love the retro thing they do, though. It's great to see the old uniforms every now and I'm looking forward to seeing (hopefully) the '77 turn back the clock day in the future. But I think if it was an everyday thing eventually it would be the same story....people would complain that it was time for something else again. The fact that you see them infrequently is part of what makes it so special when you do see them again. And the current uniforms still hold up tremendously. Unlike past uniforms I am not tired of these and do not expect to ever grow tired of them. They are classic and timeless as far as I'm concerned. Just my humble opinion! :smile:

Bobby Thigpen
06-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Look at the Yankees and Dodgers- who have hardly ever even tweaked their unis. Keep the silver and black forever.

The Dodgers did tweak their jerseys to say Los Angeles instead of Brooklyn.

rwschm_bull
06-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Both the Dodgers and the Yankees have pretty much nailed down the term "classic threads" You'd be hard-pressed to notice any difference in the '59 Yanks uniform (other than material -- everything was probably still wool-knit back then...) Have to give them credit -- classic uniform -- why change?

That late 50's-'63 look (before they added the "Cub/KC" light blue to the road uni) could have been a classic...
1959 New York (American League)
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1959_chicago.gif (javascript:history.go(-1))

MILTMAY5
06-19-2005, 12:51 PM
The current uniforms (home, road and alternate) and logos (main and secondary) are simply the best in baseball! The Sox are becoming a first rate organization, a uniform change, any uniform change, would be a huge mistake.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 01:01 PM
You'd be hard-pressed to notice any difference in the '59 Yanks uniform (other than material -- everything was probably still wool-knit back then...) Have to give them credit -- classic uniform -- why change?

You're exactly correct. The only minor change the Yankees have made was in '73 or '74 when they switched from the wool to the double-knit jersey material. At that time, they changed their pinstripe and hat color from a "navy blue" to "midnight blue", supposedly because it looked better on color television.

Sox of White
06-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Most things retro are cool. Modern day things seem to be way lamer. And, everything has to be "Xtreme."

TheOldRoman
06-19-2005, 01:28 PM
EXACTLY. That's why these "throwback" uniforms never work as an everyday uniform choice. The players today don't wear the uniforms the way the originals were worn.

The contrast was stark last night. The Sox had the look because of the way the uniforms had the baggy fit of 1959. Meanwhile LA was wearing nearly identical uniforms from 1959 yet the cut was for everyday use by 21st century players. The "look" was all wrong.
I think the biggest problem with the Dodgers uniforms was the material. The Dodgers didn't look like they were wearing throwbacks because they wore replica jerseys made my Majestic. The Sox wore authentic wool jerseys made my Mitchell and Ness. The grey flannel road jerseys of 40 years ago were extremely sharp, IMO. The grey flannel had a very distinctive look to it - much better than they can replicate with the mesh they use today. Seeing as there were only minor changes from LA's current road uniforms (material not included), they looked the same as always. Also, in 1959, the Dodgers had no blue piping around the sleeves (per my 1959 WS video). They got that wrong, and put the piping on there like they wear today.
My biggest beef: Since the Dodgers wore replicas made by Majestic, the Majestic logo was on the sleeve and the MLB logo was on the collar. There was really no point for them to even wear throwbacks. The two teams would have complimented eachother very nicely if they Dodgers would have worn real throwbacks, but since LA wore cheap replicas, they looked like they were wearing pajamas to a black tie ball.

This is another reason why the White Sox are a class organization.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 01:49 PM
This is another reason why the White Sox are a class organization.

The White Sox were also, I believe, the first team to even try the "Turn Back The Clock" theme when they did it in 1990 against the Brewers. Gallas was in charge at the time, but I can't say for certain if the idea was 100% his brainchild or if he lifted the idea from someone else. So, it seems just that the White Sox perfected the unis last night.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Gallas 'lifted,' the idea from a kid who sent him the suggestion.

Typical Gallas.....

Lip

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I love the retro-unis...the distinguishing thing for me has always been the old English Sox logo...so as long as that stays I'll be happy.

As stated before...I like the wide white stripe on the socks. That would be a nice finishing touch on the current version.

BTW...I like that loose look of the old uni...I wonder if it was comfortable.

I see no reason why they can't roll in an old uni...let's say four times a year.

It was wool flannel. It was comfortable in April, May, late September, and for one season, October.

Brian26
06-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Gallas 'lifted,' the idea from a kid who sent him the suggestion.

Typical Gallas.....

Lip

Interesting. Maybe the reason I had that in the back of my mind is because I had seen you mention it before. I'd love to know more about that story if there's anything to tell. So a kid wrote a letter to Gallas, and Gallas ran with the idea without ever giving him credit or compensation?

Lip Man 1
06-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Brian:
Exactly correct. (and before you ask Gallas was under no legal obligation to do anything since the idea was submitted to him without his request...still it would have been the moral thing to do to at least acknowledge it.)

Lip

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Brian:
Exactly correct. (and before you ask Gallas was under no legal obligation to do anything since the idea was submitted to him without his request...still it would have been the moral thing to do to at least acknowledge it.)

Lip

I heard the story somewhat differently. Several years ago, about the time Rich Lindberg came out with the White Sox Encyclopedia, Sox Fans on Deck (I think) invited some of the WCSF officers and board members to a signing that Lindberg was having for them.

Someone there told me the story that it happened at one of their meetings. A kid about 12 years old suggested the idea. Gallas was noncommittal about it, but then suddenly the Sox were having "Turn Back the Clock Day."

Norberto7
06-19-2005, 11:17 PM

Nice website. Thanks for sharing.

paciorek1983
06-20-2005, 01:19 AM
I wish the Sox would get rid of the silver and black. As much of a Sox fan as I am, I don't find the colors very appealing anymore. I wish they'd add an actual COLOR to the unis, such as red or green.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 02:52 AM
I wish the Sox would get rid of the silver and black. As much of a Sox fan as I am, I don't find the colors very appealing anymore. I wish they'd add an actual COLOR to the unis, such as red or green.

The only thing they need to add to the uniform is a patch on the sleeve. Has anyone seen that clover leaf patch that the Phillies have? Whats the story behind that? I always thought we should have something like that for our south side Irish history.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2005, 02:59 AM
I always thought we should have something like that for our south side Irish history.And ignore all the other southside ethnic groups who worked in the stockyards (Polish, Lithuanian, African-American, etc.)? Bad idea.

Southsiders are southsiders. Let's not try to put one group above the others. We're all united in our Sox fandom.

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 03:06 AM
And ignore all the other southside ethnic groups who worked in the stockyards (Polish, Lithuanian, African-American, etc.)? Bad idea.

Southsiders are southsiders. Let's not try to put one group above the others. We're all united in our Sox fandom.

True. I just remember hearing how the south side used to be mainly Irish.

I would still like to see some kind of patch. Chicago flag would be cool.

Cubbiesuck13
06-20-2005, 03:28 AM
True. I just remember hearing how the south side used to be mainly Irish.

I would still like to see some kind of patch. Chicago flag would be cool.

I remember the Chicago Flag patch idea being brought up and they may actually have done that in the past. This is where one of the knowledgeable posters tell us when they wore it and how it didn't look as good as it does in our minds. I think it is a good idea, for the record.

doublem23
06-20-2005, 03:39 AM
Agreed. A little Chicago flag patch on a sleeve would look excellent. It'd give the uniform some color for those of you who just can't seem to stand the silver and black without actually reverting to throwing too much color in there (with a name like the White Sox, it's hard to justify anything besides white, back, silver, and gray, IMO).

The only "change" I've ever really though would look sweet would be the addition of a Sunday alternative hat, where the black and white of hat are changed, so that you have a white hat and black S-O-X. The Lids in the H.I.P. was selling one like that a while ago, and it did look as excellent in my hands as it did in my mind.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2005, 03:45 AM
The only "change" I've ever really though would look sweet would be the addition of a Sunday alternative hat, where the black and white of hat are changed, so that you have a white hat and black S-O-X. The Lids in the H.I.P. was selling one like that a while ago, and it did look as excellent in my hands as it did in my mind.Yikes. I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

PBRWarrior
06-20-2005, 03:48 AM
I have been wondering for a while the sox dont have a road/home cap. I think it would give the fans choices and also bring in more revenue. I really love the batting practice hats with the silver on the brim. I think they would a cool alternative to the regular all blacks.

doublem23
06-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Yikes. I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Well... Uh... That's like your opinion, man. :tongue:

http://images.hatworld.com/product/5/20026922/2_640.jpg

TheOldRoman
06-20-2005, 03:59 AM
Well... Uh... That's like your opinion, man. :tongue:

http://images.hatworld.com/product/5/20026922/2_640.jpg

The only way that could possibly work is:
A)with a black brim and button on top
B)either pinstripes on the hat or with a new stripe-less alternate home jersey.

An all white hat would look really bad, IMO.

Sox-on-TV44
06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Those 1959 uniforms were great!!!!

Now i'm hoping they do a 1972 or 1976 uniform game.Espically if it's against a team that had colorful uniforms back then.I mean the Dodgers really had no creativity at all since '59!!!!

LVSoxFan
06-20-2005, 10:54 AM
PROBLEM IS.... I thought the '59 jerseys were badass and thought I'd pick one up at the Cell yesterday. One, because they look great and two: I like the idea of this team being compared to the Go-Go Sox of '59.

I was all excited to scoop one up until the girl at the gift shop told me how much: $275!

I've dropped nearly a grand on various Sox jerseys in the past couple of years, but that just seemed wrong. I couldn't do it. I'm bummed.

TornLabrum
06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
PROBLEM IS.... I thought the '59 jerseys were badass and thought I'd pick one up at the Cell yesterday. One, because they look great and two: I like the idea of this team being compared to the Go-Go Sox of '59.

I was all excited to scoop one up until the girl at the gift shop told me how much: $275!

I've dropped nearly a grand on various Sox jerseys in the past couple of years, but that just seemed wrong. I couldn't do it. I'm bummed.

I like the comparisons with '59, too. Although, as I've written here and Jim Landis noted in his interview with DJ Saturday evening, this team has a whole lot more home run power than the '59 team.

Brian26
06-20-2005, 12:39 PM
The only way that could possibly work is:
A)with a black brim and button on top
B)either pinstripes on the hat or with a new stripe-less alternate home jersey.

An all white hat would look really bad, IMO.

It wouldn't work. The Sox actually tried using a white hat in '76, but the league soon disallowed it when hitters were complaining that the pitcher's hat was making it difficult to pick up the white ball out of his hand. Second, the hats would look gross after about one game when players would sweat through them. A few teams even tried grey hats in the mid 90s and quickly switched back to the darker colors because of the hideous sweat marks that would appear (Orioles come to mind immediately on this one).

skobabe8
06-20-2005, 02:50 PM
It wouldn't work. The Sox actually tried using a white hat in '76, but the league soon disallowed it when hitters were complaining that the pitcher's hat was making it difficult to pick up the white ball out of his hand. Second, the hats would look gross after about one game when players would sweat through them. A few teams even tried grey hats in the mid 90s and quickly switched back to the darker colors because of the hideous sweat marks that would appear (Orioles come to mind immediately on this one).

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1995_baltimore_01.gif (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1995_baltimore.gif&Entryid=1793)