PDA

View Full Version : The AL Central is the worst division in baseball...

DrCrawdad
06-18-2005, 08:05 AM
...or so we've heard time after time.

CHECK THE STATS: The American League Central seems to be a race between the Sox and Minnesota Twins, but Guillen says pitching could make it a lot tighter.

"Four of the five top pitching staffs are in the Central,'' he said of the league-best Cleveland Indians (team ERA of 3.52), the runner-up Twins (3.55), fourth-place Sox (3.66) and fifth-place Detroit Tigers (3.88). "People say it's a weak division, but every team in this division is built to win the division. Even Kansas City is playing great now.

"We have to keep playing the same way we always do because Minnesota won't give up, and watch out for Cleveland.'' [I]- as quoted in the June 18, 2005 Chicago Sun-Times.

downstairs
06-18-2005, 08:19 AM
To be fair, not since maybe the 1st or 2nd week have I heard anyone say the AL Central is weak. 2/5 of the division are two of the best teams in baseball.

If you want weak, I'd say the NL Central (it's as if it's a race to the bottom for everyone but St. Louis).

Lip Man 1
06-18-2005, 01:24 PM
From a historical perspective here's how weak the A.L. Central has been....the 2nd place team has averaged just short of 83 wins since the league went to the three division format after the 1993 season.

Lip

FarWestChicago
06-18-2005, 01:34 PM
From a historical perspective here's how weak the A.L. Central has been....the 2nd place team has averaged just short of 83 wins since the league went to the three division format after the 1993 season.

LipI believe this thread is about this season, Lip. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
06-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Cleveland has a better record than the Cubs! Somehow, the media isn't taking Indians fans to task for only averaging 18,000 per game. It must be that everyone hate the ballpark and the neighborhood in Cleveland.

The NL Central is a joke with Houston, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee all in the same division. Somehow, the mediocrity of the competition is not an issue when it's the Cubs diviosn they are talking about.

dcb33
06-18-2005, 01:38 PM
With the amount of outstanding young pitching in the division, most of which is under contract for qutie some time, the Central will be the powerhouse division in the American League for the next several years.

SoxxoS
06-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Lip

Lip-

Just because a roulette wheel spins 8 "reds" in a row doesn't mean the 9th spin has a better probability of being black. Past events in random games (like baseball) do NOT DICTATE FUTURE EVENTS.

SomebodyToldMe
06-18-2005, 02:15 PM
It's not so much a weak division, it's just a pretty boring one. Royals? Tigers? Look at the other divisions and you got the A's, Angels, Rangers and then Yanks, Red Cubs, O's.

Maybe it's just that I'm used to seeing the Royals 7418572 times a year. So that might be it.

34 Inch Stick
06-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Lip-

Just because a roulette wheel spins 8 "reds" in a row doesn't mean the 9th spin has a better probability of being black. Past events in random games (like baseball) do NOT DICTATE FUTURE EVENTS.

Yes but early in a season, it is reasonable to assume that the past will repeat itself. IIRC the wild card has never come out of the central. I think it is something like 8 times out of the east and 3 out of the west.

History is changing but let people have at least until the ASB to get adjusted.

SoxxoS
06-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Yes but early in a season, it is reasonable to assume that the past will repeat itself. IIRC the wild card has never come out of the central. I think it is something like 8 times out of the east and 3 out of the west.

History is changing but let people have at least until the ASB to get adjusted.

Doesn't matter for 2005. Unless the Central started off at a 10 game disadvantage at the start of the season, every team has the same OPPORTUNITY to win. Just b/c the Central hasn't represented the Wild Card doesn't mean it has less of a statistical chance at the start of the year for 2005. The simple rule of the past doesn't dictate the future in random events, like baseball and roulette.

This kind of coinsides with "the curses" we have been hearing about.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Soxxos:

Not saying past has anything to do with the present. The title of the thread is called, 'The A.L. Central Is The Worst Division In Baseball.'

My posts simply shows that this was the case since they went to the three division format. Those who made that claim had some reason for doing so based on the records. It makes no predicitions on if that will be the case this season.

Lip

batmanZoSo
06-18-2005, 06:51 PM
It's not even close to the worst this year. That honor I give to the NL East and West. At times it has been justifiably considered the worst, or a toss up with the NL Central. Not once has it sent two teams to the playoffs simultaneously and for several years it was pretty much a one-team show. 97-99 and 02 were probably the worst years with Cleveland and Minnesota taking it easily with virtually no competition.

Times have definitely changed and it says a lot for our White Sox with that 20-5 divisional mark. These aren't junk teams we've been beating up on.

But it has historically been a very weak division, which says a lot about us as well (one division title). :(:

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Doesn't matter for 2005. Unless the Central started off at a 10 game disadvantage at the start of the season, every team has the same OPPORTUNITY to win. Just b/c the Central hasn't represented the Wild Card doesn't mean it has less of a statistical chance at the start of the year for 2005. The simple rule of the past doesn't dictate the future in random events, like baseball and roulette.

This kind of coinsides with "the curses" we have been hearing about.

Thanks. I didn't know that every team has a chance to win it on the first day of the season.

The point is that teams that win tend to keep on winning for a variety of reasons and the same is true of losing. When a trend has occured for the better part of a decade it is convenient to assume the trend will continue. The trend appears to be broken with the Central (it really started 3 years ago with the Royals joining the Sox and Twins as decent teams).

Give people a little time. I expect some national writer to discover this truth in a mid year "Suprises" piece. That will start the change of perception.

DSpivack
06-20-2005, 04:00 PM
The AL Central has the best [White Sox] and third best [Twins] teams in baseball, in my opinion. Then there is the stats about pitching being far and away the best in the AL. I could even see an argument that, right now, it is the best division in baseball.

The NL East is no doubt the closest and most competitive, the NL Central is weak outside St. Louis, and each team in the West seems to have its problems [San Diego being the best right now].

The AL East is strong with a surprising Baltimore team, but the Red Sox haven't being doing that great, the Blue Jays are again a .500 team, the Yankees are struggling, and D Rays suck as always. The AL West has the Rangers and Angels, but is a two team race.

Sure, the Central appears to be a two team race, but the Tigers are at .500 and the Indians are a few games over.