PDA

View Full Version : Selig answers back

Paulwny
11-16-2001, 02:38 PM
Selig: Contraction critics should look in mirror
November 15, 2001

MINNEAPOLIS -- Commissioner Bud Selig said Minnesotans critical of baseball's plan to eliminate two teams -- possibly the Twins -- should "look themselves in the mirror."

Selig told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis that the Twins have made no progress toward building a revenue-producing stadium, and defended team owner Carl Pohlad, who has offered to fold the team in the contraction plan.

"I've always said that the road of responsibility runs two ways," Selig said. "I know there are people in the Twin Cities who want to blame Carl Pohlad, baseball, me, the owners or all of the above.

"But at some point in the past decade, despite 26 or so stadium proposals, there were chances to do something, and nothing got done. So there are a lot of people up there who have to look themselves in the mirror."

In defending Pohlad, Selig intimated that no other ownership group would solve the problems facing the Twins.

"To survive in this environment, even if you change other things, you still need a new stadium," he said.

Pohlad most recently offered to put $100 million toward a stadium. The other main components of that plan were $50 million from Twin Cities investors and a $100 million loan from the state to the team.

That plan reached the Senate floor during the last session and could be revived when the Legislature convenes in January.

"Now, the thing I don't understand is that in the last one, Carl had a proposal that would pay for more than 80 percent of the stadium," Selig said. "Well, gosh, nobody's ever done that before. That's remarkable."

ma-gaga
11-16-2001, 02:57 PM
Pohlad lied, threatened to move, and cheated the fans for YEARS. He finally made a decent offer (which is the one Selig mentioned in the article), and amazingly enough, the legislature said 'no'.

The blame is equal between the Legislature and Carl Pohlad. Public sentiment was firmly against subsidizing professional sports, and the legislatures echoed that.

Currently public sentiment is outrage and anger and they are asking their rep's to save the Twins, and they are trying. We'll all see what'll happen.

:)

moochpuppy
11-16-2001, 03:20 PM
Funny thing is if Selig didn't get his new stadium paid for by the cheeseheads you would have never heard the word contraction because his team probably would have headed the list. Selig is a hypocrite!

Daver
11-16-2001, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Funny thing is if Selig didn't get his new stadium paid for by the cheeseheads you would have never heard the word contraction because his team probably would have headed the list. Selig is a hypocrite!

I hope Bud gets the gift I sent him,a 4 foot prybar to try and pry his head out of his ass.

He'd probably use it wrong though.

Spiff
11-16-2001, 07:05 PM
From Rick Reily's article this week....

"This is baseball commissioner Bud Selig. Homicide brought him in on charges of a) plotting to murder two teams -- probably the Minnesota Twins and the Montreal Expos; b) choking the buzz out of one of the greatest World Series; c) killing any chance there was of avoiding a lockout or strike next season; and d) scamming for his own dog-ass Milwaukee Brewers, who would muscle in on the Twins' fans and TV market if Minnesota gets whacked."

bringbackrobin
11-16-2001, 08:54 PM
Still, I find it encouraging that nobody is buying this contraction stuff. Buddy Selig is guilty of underestimating the intelligence of baseball fans. Except for Peter Gammons, of course.

:boston Bud Selig is a man of integrity, according to my sources.

Paulwny
11-16-2001, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
Still, I find it encouraging that nobody is buying this contraction stuff. Buddy Selig is guilty of underestimating the intelligence of baseball fans. Except for Peter Gammons, of course.

Yea, isn't it funny, most fans knew a legal battle would take place and that the owners will lose again.

Railsplitter
11-16-2001, 10:26 PM
Need a new stadium to compete? Excuse me, but the Hump dome is only 20 years old. The real reason, of course, is that MLB over expanded, but doesn't want to whack one of the teams that was part of two most recent expansions. Make sense?

MarqSox
11-17-2001, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Need a new stadium to compete? Excuse me, but the Hump dome is only 20 years old. The real reason, of course, is that MLB over expanded, but doesn't want to whack one of the teams that was part of two most recent expansions. Make sense?

You ever seen a game in the Metrodome? That place truly is a mausoleum. I'm amazed they drew as many fans as they did in the 80s. That place makes Comiskey feel like Fenway.

As for Selig, yeah, he wouldn't be talking contraction if Wisconsin hadn't passed the bill to build Miller Park ... but it did. The people of Wisconsin made a decision, rightly or wrongly, that professional baseball was important enough to spend public dollars on. Minnesotans have held that it is not important enough. In a way, that is noble of them, but at the same time, if it ain't important enoguh to them, then I don't want to hear them moaning about what a tragedy losing the Twins is.