PDA

View Full Version : Maddux trying to maintain cool

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 01:54 AM
because their idols don't either!

The "years of experience" and "North Side" reference led most observers to intimate that Buehrle was talking about Greg Maddux, the Cubs' certain Hall-of-Famer and winner of 310 games. When asked about the comments in New York, Maddux casually denied any wrongdoing and then wondered aloud, 'Who is Mark Buehrle?'

Clearly, the flubbie faithfull are led by their leaders and if Greg Maddux doesn't know who Mark Buehrle is then why should fans? or mediots?

Find the entire article here (http://http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050618&content_id=1094342&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

BridgePortNative
06-18-2005, 01:56 AM
because their idols don't either!

Clearly, the flubbie faithfull are led by their leaders and if Greg Maddux doesn't know who Mark Buehrle is then why should fans? or mediots?

Find the entire article here (http://http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050618&content_id=1094342&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Bad link

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 01:58 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050618&content_id=1094342&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

sorry.

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2005, 02:06 AM
Very reminiscent of the Barry Bonds "who is Ron Kittle?" non-denial.

Oh, I'm so important that I don't even have to recognize the existence of these lesser mortals, much less answer their charges.

samram
06-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Oh, I'm so important that I don't even have to recognize the existence of these lesser mortals, much less answer their charges.

It's actually a retort I like in most situations, but it doesn't work here because everyone knows Maddux knows who Buehrle is, and he's one of the best pitchers in the game. On the other hand, I could believe that a guy as arrogant as Bonds is wouldn't know who Ron Kittle is.

fquaye149
06-18-2005, 09:05 AM
i'll give maddux the short answer:

currently 10 times the pitcher you are.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 09:12 AM

I like it. Maddux is a smart guy, and a weak retort like his only leaves the allegation to linger. Whether the allegation is true or not, Maddux DID NOT deny it. He's smart enough to know a strong denial is the best course of action -- assuming he can make such a denial. Smart guy Maddux knows a strong denial will turn up the volume on this controversy even more, and a non-denial is better than the alternative which of course is getting caught in a lie.
:thumbsup:

I also like Buehrle calling out a "Cubs pitcher" BEFORE the start of the next series. Now the entire Flubbie staff is under a cloud of suspicion and the umpires must know both teams are watching the other's pitchers closely. Buehrle never makes that comment UNLESS he's confident the Sox get the edge from all the extra scrutiny.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If Maddux is too scared to cheat next weekend, Buehrle has already won the battle a full week before the first pitch is thrown -- and Maddux isn't even denying it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mickster
06-18-2005, 09:52 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth - almost verbatim! :smile:

CubKilla
06-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Maddux does lick his fingers after almost every pitch.

fusillirob1983
06-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Buerhle is on the Sox and grew up a Cards fan. I think the guy loves saying stuff just to bother Cub fans. I'm glad he's on our side.

PicktoCLick72
06-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Greg Maddux is just scared Buehrle is going to end up with more wins then him.

RallyBowl
06-18-2005, 01:44 PM
I wonder if MB is really on to something here. Although he didn't name Maddux, lots of speculation that he is the one. Don't you think it is kind of uncharacteristic of Grandpa to be so arrogant? One of the things he has been known for is a basic lack of emotion no matter what the situation. Although he didn't come right out and blast Mark, the fact that he even responded makes me wonder why he is getting so (for him) defensive.

MIgrenade
06-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Maddux does lick his fingers after almost every pitch.

So does pretty much every other pitcher.

DickAllen72
06-18-2005, 02:07 PM
I wonder if MB is really on to something here. Although he didn't name Maddux, lots of speculation that he is the one. Don't you think it is kind of uncharacteristic of Grandpa to be so arrogant? One of the things he has been known for is a basic lack of emotion no matter what the situation. Although he didn't come right out and blast Mark, the fact that he even responded makes me wonder why he is getting so (for him) defensive.

This is just the media running around trying to cause trouble again. I'm not a Maddux fan and I hate the Cubs. But in defense of Maddux, what did you expect him to say? Some reporter probably went up to him and said something like, "How do you respond to Mark Buerhle's accusations that you're a cheater?" Now we know Mark never said that, but how was Maddux to know that?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 02:49 PM
But in defense of Maddux, what did you expect him to say? Some reporter probably went up to him and said something like, "How do you respond to Mark Buerhle's accusations that you're a cheater?" Now we know Mark never said that, but how was Maddux to know that?

I would expect Maddux to say, "I never cheat, period. Next question." Instead he issued a non-denial, leaving the allegation to linger and here we are still talking about it.

Maddux is a lot smarter than you're giving him credit for. He didn't win all those Cy Young awards throwing the **** he threw by being dumb.

RallyBowl
06-18-2005, 02:49 PM
This is just the media running around trying to cause trouble again. I'm not a Maddux fan and I hate the Cubs. But in defense of Maddux, what did you expect him to say? Some reporter probably went up to him and said something like, "How do you respond to Mark Buerhle's accusations that you're a cheater?" Now we know Mark never said that, but how was Maddux to know that?I guess I expected him to say he does not use spit on the ball. That would be a better answer than "who is (one of the top three pitchers of the last five years) Mark Buerhle? Maybe he did deny any wrongdoing- I'm not sure. I'm starting to think Maddux may in fact be guilty. If not, then come out and say you are not, and let the numbers and umpires prove you wrong. If you are, have a pair and admit it. Has anyone else read where Mark said he sometimes grabs a bat to get a little pine tar on his hands? He said he doesn't think there is anything wrong with it. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I will tell you one thing- Mark has nothing to hide because he doesn't think anything he does is all that bad. As I said earlier, pretty uncharacteristic of maddux to get defensive and slight another player. Typical actions of someone trying to cover something up- try to shoot down the credibility of the accuser.