PDA

View Full Version : Alou to the Southside?

moochpuppy
11-16-2001, 12:04 PM
What do guys think of Alou playing for the Sox? This team still needs a DH. He hits for average, has 30-40 HR potential, he can be a good influence for the younger players, he knows JM well. I know he's 35 but he is still playing well and if we can sign him for two years with a club option for a third I think it would be a great acquisition.

Iwritecode
11-16-2001, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
What do guys think of Alou playing for the Sox? This team still needs a DH. He hits for average, has 30-40 HR potential, he can be a good influence for the younger players, he knows JM well. I know he's 35 but he is still playing well and if we can sign him for two years with a club option for a third I think it would be a great acquisition.

We still need a DH? With Frank, Liefer, Carlos, and possibly (but doubtful) Canseco?

Bmr31
11-16-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

We still need a DH? With Frank, Liefer, Carlos, and possibly (but doubtful) Canseco?

yes! KW please sign another dh!!

Bmr31
11-16-2001, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

by the way......am i the only one who realizes that liefer is a HACK and does not belong on a major league baseball team??

Soxheads
11-16-2001, 12:36 PM
:KW Why, every team needs six DH's!

moochpuppy
11-16-2001, 12:50 PM
Okay, here is how I see it.........

This off season either Konerko or Lee will be traded which leaves the Sox this:

If Konehead is gone then Frank is back at first and this leaves the DH spot open for Alou. Canseco will not be back with the Sox. Liefer is no better than a bench player (see Greg Norton).

If Lee is gone then Frank remains the DH, Konehead at first and Alou in left field.

If for some reason both Konehead and Lee remain with the Sox then we could always place Alou in center (until Borchard is ready....2003?) where he has played over 100 games with only 1 error.

Viva Magglio
11-16-2001, 12:50 PM

:reinsy
If we have to pay him a salary, it will cost too much.

Bmr31
11-16-2001, 12:58 PM

If Konehead is gone then Frank is back at first and this leaves the DH spot open for Alou. Canseco will not be back with the Sox. Liefer is no better than a bench player (see Greg Norton).

If Lee is gone then Frank remains the DH, Konehead at first and Alou in left field.

If for some reason both Konehead and Lee remain with the Sox then we could always place Alou in center (until Borchard is ready....2003?) where he has played over 100 games with only 1 error.

1 error? yeah thats because he ran AWAY from the ball instead of TO it.... :)

Iwritecode
11-16-2001, 01:16 PM

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that KW would do it. More than likely if he makes a trade, it will be for pitching. I'm thinking they're going to let the young guys (Rowand, Liefer, Borchard?)develop more next year.

Jjav829
11-16-2001, 01:46 PM
I think Frank will be very very hesitant to play first again after tearing his tricep this year. Regardless I don't think Frank will ever be a full time first baseman again. If Konerko is traded Liefer will probably be given the chance to play first.

Also KW said no free agents. I don't think he was excluding Alou in that statement.

HootieMcBoob
11-16-2001, 02:31 PM
Also KW said no free agents. I don't think he was excluding Alou in that statement.

Yes. Just what i was thinking....

Hello????? didn't you people hear what KW said? we ain't gettin anyone. I like our team the way it is now - the only thing i'd change would be to get a decent pitcher (but this would only happen if we get him for a bargain).

moochpuppy
11-16-2001, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

didn't you people hear what KW said? we ain't gettin anyone. the only thing i'd change would be to get a decent pitcher (but this would only happen if we get him for a bargain).

Hmmmm.....wouldn't that be a free agent? I guess I'm not the only one not listening to KW.

RedPinStripes
11-16-2001, 02:51 PM
I can pitch. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gonnet! People like me.

:canseco

oldcomiskey
11-16-2001, 04:00 PM
with Alou being right handed and the nwe short porch in right---the only name I can come up is Bob Higgenson

HootieMcBoob
11-16-2001, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm.....wouldn't that be a free agent? I guess I'm not the only one not listening to KW.

He said no FREE AGENTS - he didn't say he wouldn't TRADE. he could trade lee/paulie or someone else for a pitcher hopefully

OfficerKarkovice
11-16-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
with Alou being right handed and the nwe short porch in right---the only name I can come up is Bob Higgenson

Haha...riiiiiiight. And maybe we can get Weaver and Fick too.

oldcomiskey
11-16-2001, 04:09 PM
alright smart guy----tell me this---what other left handed hitter is out there thats not a free agent--as for Weaver and Fick you can keep those sorry asses--but if we trade Lee---I feel its gonna be for a lefty bat

Joel Perez
11-16-2001, 05:15 PM
He basically told GM Gary Hunsicker to "Shove It" (paraphrasing) after his 5 yr/$25 mil contract ran out.

What, $7 or $8 mil ain't enough for you, Moises?

Too much dough for Jerry's kids.

bringbackrobin
11-16-2001, 08:10 PM
Repeat after me: Moises Alou would not make the Sox better. He would only push a useful player to the bench or the trading block (think Herbert Perry, circa 2001). Then he would get hurt, as he always done, and spend the rest of the season playing checkers with Sandy Alomar in the training room. And don't even pretend that Alou can play center field. Remember, Houston needed a centerfielder when Hidalgo was hurting and chose to put Lance Berkman out there. Alou was the worst defensive outfielder on a team with Daryle Ward. If you want a free agent that would help, think about Charles Johnson.

harwar
11-19-2001, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
as for Weaver and Fick you can keep those sorry asses
I for one would love to see weaver in our rotation.Although i'd like to keep Lee & Konerko.I'm not all that sure Thomas is going to be just fine like everyone seems to think.I'd be VERY surprised if he had a great year.Also,his days as a first baseman are over.Hes' strickly DH material from now on.