PDA

View Full Version : Who is most likely to pitch a perfect game?

TimoandAaron
06-17-2005, 10:45 PM
i would have to say garland.

Any thoughts?

SoxWillWin
06-18-2005, 12:09 PM
i would have to say garland.

Any thoughts?

While Garland has been great so far this season, I'd have to disagree. Garland pitches to contact and lets the fielders do the work. If anyone were to pitch a perfect game I'd have to go with El Duque. He has better control of his pitches, and the deception from his wind up can throw hitters off something fierce. IMO.

SoxFan76
06-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I'd say Contreras, as he is the only strikeout pitcher on the starting staff. With Buerhle and Garland's style, it's not very likely that they won't give up a hit. Garcia is a flyball pitcher...but I guess he would be a good choice.

I'm sticking with Contreras.

Cowhead418
06-18-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing none of you saw Buehrle's masterpiece in Cleveland last year where he faced 27 batters? Sure he gave up two hits but he got everybody out and was about as close as you can get to a perfect game. So I'd have to go with Buehrle.

whtsx1959
06-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Garland. He went perfect for 6, IIRC, against Seattle this year.

PAPChiSox729
06-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I'd say Contreras, as he is the only strikeout pitcher on the starting staff. With Buerhle and Garland's style, it's not very likely that they won't give up a hit. Garcia is a flyball pitcher...but I guess he would be a good choice.

I'm sticking with Contreras.

It is a pretty tough decision. Contreras gets a strikeouts but we are talking about a perfect game; that means NO WALKS. Jose has been pretty good with the BB this year compared to years past, but he will still walk a few guys. I would have to go with Buehrle. He doesn't walk many and he has taken a no-hitter into the latter innings of a ballgame a few times in his career.

soxfanreggie
06-18-2005, 12:42 PM
I'd say Buerhle. He has shown he can go the distance. He does give up a lot of hits, but I could see him doing it like he did the 27 batters faced game. I don't know if Contreras or Hernandez can go 9 innings. I'm sure they could, but I don't think we'll see that often unless they were on track for a Perfect game/no-no. I could see Garland doing it. Garcia can go long innings, but I can't see him pitching a perfect game.

34 Inch Stick
06-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Buhrle has always given up a lot of hits throughout his career. None of the Sox really have that potential but I would say Garcia.

kevingrt
06-18-2005, 01:35 PM
No doubt in my mind Mark Buerhle. Sure he isn't a strikeout pitcher and it's helpful to be one when throwing a perfecto but he is so damn consistent, that he gets more "opportunities" going into later innings for a perfect game. No hitter may be El Duque or Contreras though as they love to walk guys, but can get guys out from time to time.

wsbaseball9
06-18-2005, 01:42 PM
without a doubt my vote is for mark, he's already thrown a 27 up 27 down game which is basically a perfect game...basically
he also threw the three hitter against seattle that woulda been perfection subtracting the best contact hitter in baseball, ichiro
he threw a few more low hit shutouts that i cant make comments on cuz i forget

i've been saying to my friends for a while now and you can quote me
mark buerhle will throw a perfect game before his career is over

MIgrenade
06-18-2005, 01:56 PM
I think it's Garcia because he has the best stuff. I know that isn't all that goes into a perfect game but if he has a night when he puts it all together he can do it. Buehrle is too much of a ground ball pitcher which means his defense has to be perfect too. Not to say Garcia wouldn't need that too, but he can throw a few more strikeouts which can help him.
Personally I doubt any of these guys will do it, but I did watch Garland throw 7 perfect against Seattle this year and Garcia put away 22 in a row and MB is always good. So who knows.

SoxxoS
06-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Got to say Garland b/c of his past performances this year and in 2002 in June against the Red Sox at Fenway, where I believe he pitched a one hitter.

I don't think Contreras has the mental capacity to pitch a perfect game.

FarWestChicago
06-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Where is the "This thread is silly" tag when you need it? :redneck

MeanFish
06-18-2005, 02:25 PM
I just enjoy the fact that all five starters have gotten a mention in this thread. It says a lot.

samram
06-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Where is the "This thread is silly" tag when you need it? :redneck

I don't know, but when someone finds it, they should immediately apply it.

kittle42
06-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Joe Cowley.