PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle, The Man

shoota
06-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Mark Buehrle just pitched a shutout tonight against the Dodgers, and I'd just like to thank Buehrle for being such a great player for my favorite team. Tonight marked the 42 consecutive start that Buehrle has pitched at least 6 innings.

Pitchers do not get much better than Mark Buehrle. If we Sox fans were to design a pitcher according to all our specifications, the result would be Mark Buehrle.

He's a left-handed workhorse who never gets hurt, a kind teammate whose presence off the field and on the mound is enjoyed by his teammates, a consistent pitcher not with ups and downs, but a steady performance no matter how good or bad his stuff is on any particular night, a quick worker who doesn't walk many, a humble, appreciative man who chose to postpone a year of free agency to stay with the Sox, and he even grew up disliking the Cubs.

So Mark Buehrle, thank you. Thank you for embracing the South Side of Chicago, us fans and our White Sox. Thank you for wanting to pitch here. You are officially one of us.

To Mark Buehrle. :gulp:

Ditka v. God
06-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Well said! :cool:

PAPChiSox729
06-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I would have to agree. Excellent post.

:thumbsup:

Buehrle is the man.

mccoydp
06-17-2005, 10:37 PM
I could not have said it better myself...Buehrle is my favorite Sox pitcher, and has been for years. I go out of my way to make sure I catch his games.

Brian26
06-17-2005, 10:45 PM
In the past 25 years, I'm trying to come up with a Sox pitcher better than Buehrle. Hoyt didn't quite show the longevity. The only guy even close is Black Jack McDowell. If I had to choose between the two, in their prime, for a big game, I'd have to go with Buehrle.

tebman
06-17-2005, 10:51 PM
:thumbsup:

Nothing else needs to be said. Excellent post.

JB98
06-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Ha! He's not half as good as the great Carrie Woods.

What's Paul Sullivan have to say now?

PAPChiSox729
06-17-2005, 10:54 PM
:threadrules:

JB98
06-17-2005, 11:00 PM
In the past 25 years, I'm trying to come up with a Sox pitcher better than Buehrle. Hoyt didn't quite show the longevity. The only guy even close is Black Jack McDowell. If I had to choose between the two, in their prime, for a big game, I'd have to go with Buehrle.

I'd still take Black Jack over anybody we've had in my lifetime, but I may change my mind by the end of the year. Buerhle is definitely moving up on that list.

batmanZoSo
06-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Mark Buehrle just pitched a shutout tonight against the Dodgers, and I'd just like to thank Buehrle for being such a great player for my favorite team. Tonight marked the 42 consecutive start that Buehrle has pitched at least 6 innings.

Pitchers do not get much better than Mark Buehrle. If we Sox fans were to design a pitcher according to all our specifications, the result would be Mark Buehrle.

He's a left-handed workhorse who never gets hurt, a kind teammate whose presence off the field and on the mound is enjoyed by his teammates, a consistent pitcher not with ups and downs, but a steady performance no matter how good or bad his stuff is on any particular night, a quick worker who doesn't walk many, a humble, appreciative man who chose to postpone a year of free agency to stay with the Sox, and he even grew up disliking the Cubs.

So Mark Buehrle, thank you. Thank you for embracing the South Side of Chicago, us fans and our White Sox. Thank you for wanting to pitch here. You are officially one of us.

To Mark Buehrle. :gulp:

And a lot of people don't even appreciate him.

He's a number 3, etc. Gimme a @#$% break. :rolleyes:

WikdChiSoxFan
06-17-2005, 11:17 PM
MB56 = the man, the myth, the legend

unbelievable....

SouthSide4Life
06-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Good job Shoota, i couldnt have said it better myself

SluggersAway
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
I could say something really crude, but I think I'll refrain. Suffice it to say, are you drooling and salivating after that post? This is a game, and while I appreciate his talent, the earth will still revolve around the sun tomorrow. We do have a lot of other problems in this world. I am a MB fan, but does he need to think about a restraining order? I enjoyed his performance tonight too, but does anyone else think this thread is a little creepy?

All in all, keep up the good work Mark! I wish we had the run support for your ND's.

(I shutter to think what would have happened if Ozzie kept Mark in the game and G*d forbid he gave up a run like another recent game.)

Foulke You
06-17-2005, 11:45 PM
They flashed an interesting stat on the scoreboard tonight. In the last 5 seasons Mark Buehrle is the #2 ranking pitcher in quality starts (100) second only to Randy Johnson (105). Barry Zito was #3 on the list. That's some pretty darn good company.

Foulke You
06-17-2005, 11:48 PM
I could say something really crude, but I think I'll refrain. Suffice it to say, are you drooling and salivating after that post? This is a game, and while I appreciate his talent, the earth will still revolve around the sun tomorrow. We do have a lot of other problems in this world. I am a MB fan, but does he need to think about a restraining order? I enjoyed his performance tonight too, but does anyone else think this thread is a little creepy?

No, I don't think this thread is creepy. However, I do think you might need to lighten up my friend.:cool: This is just a thread giving props to Buehrle who tonight, is the toast of the South Side.:gulp:

The Wall
06-17-2005, 11:59 PM
I think Buerhle is the most underappreciated pitcher in all of baseball. MLB should be promoting players like him (and Juan Pierre of Marlins) and market the game around such hardworking people. As a hitter you know his stuff but he still out-thinks you everytime out. If he pitches long enough for the Sox, he will be the best pitcher we've seen in our lifetime in a Sox uniform. Hopefully, Cards dont snag him.

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2005, 12:03 AM
Ha! He's not half as good as the great Carrie Woods.

What's Paul Sullivan have to say now?

What...Isn't Prior the greatest pitcher ever to play the game???

Anyways, great post!!! Unfortunately he won't be facing the Cubs again, barring a rotation change by Ozzie...

batmanZoSo
06-18-2005, 12:12 AM

All in all, keep up the good work Mark! I wish we had the run support for your ND's.

(I shutter to think what would have happened if Ozzie kept Mark in the game and G*d forbid he gave up a run like another recent game.)

Yeah, with all the hunger and suffering in the world, why should we care about baseball? :?:

Guitar Mike
06-18-2005, 12:13 AM
I have to take issue with shoota. I love having Buehrle on this team, but he postponed one year of free agency because of greed. I don't know about humble. He was offered a contract of almost $10 million a year, what basically Barry Zito got coming off of a great year. He said no, because he thought another year of good performances under is belt would get him even bigger money and he sucked the first part of 2003. I was at SoxFest and everyone was asking him about why he didn't sign. Then after 2003 was over, he signed a deal for much less money. So the Sox management won that one. I hope he stays, but, for now, I'm enjoying one of the greatest years in Sox history.

SluggersAway
06-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Despite what I said, I am still disgusted that the Tom Cruise thread has more replies than this one.

MB: we really do appreciate you more than anything the aforementioned moron does.

Edit: That goes for you too: Dye, Thomas, Garland, Hermanson, etc. etc. even you Joe Crede and Willie Harris.

But, sorry, hunger, suffering, our economic situation, U.S. foreign policy does come before the Sox (ducks for fear of WSI missiles in my direction).

johnnyg83
06-18-2005, 01:22 AM
Go the Maryknoll site if you're worried about world hunger.Cripes. it burns my ass that someone makes a thoughtful and heartfelt post and some know-it-all comes along and says they're bigger issues in the world.

Really? Thanks for the insight. You're on a White Sox board, if you think they're bigger issues -- than spend your time somewhere else you condescending mamaluke.

Go MB. Brilliant once again.

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2005, 01:32 AM
I'd really like to hear what Hawk has to say on Buehrle and comparisons to other Sox pitchers in Sox history...I'd say he would make the All Sox starting 5.

FarWestChicago
06-18-2005, 01:37 AM

(I shutter to think what would have happened if Ozzie kept Mark in the game and G*d forbid he gave up a run like another recent game.)No, but your post is exceptionally creepy. It's so odd and inappropriate it makes me shudder.

BridgePortNative
This guy should be 12-1 how that for a fancy record.

FarWestChicago
I have to take issue with shoota. I love having Buehrle on this team, but he postponed one year of free agency because of greed. I don't know about humble. He was offered a contract of almost $10 million a year, what basically Barry Zito got coming off of a great year. He said no, because he thought another year of good performances under is belt would get him even bigger money and he sucked the first part of 2003. I was at SoxFest and everyone was asking him about why he didn't sign. Then after 2003 was over, he signed a deal for much less money. So the Sox management won that one. I hope he stays, but, for now, I'm enjoying one of the greatest years in Sox history.Great first post. :rolleyes:

NWSox
06-18-2005, 01:52 AM
MB is easily my MVP for the year so far. I also think he is one of the best players right now in MLB. Not only is he arguably the most consistent pitcher in the league over the past few years, but he is also great for the game. Every young pitcher should be copying Buehrle; work fast, throw strikes, let your fielders do their job. His games are consistently the most enjoyable games to watch.

CanBuehrleWait
06-18-2005, 02:07 AM
MB is easily my MVP for the year so far. I also think he is one of the best players right now in MLB. Not only is he arguably the most consistent pitcher in the league over the past few years, but he is also great for the game. Every young pitcher should be copying Buehrle; work fast, throw strikes, let your fielders do their job. His games are consistently the most enjoyable games to watch.

Well said... Mark is awesome. Someone else, besides Frank, that I would love to see finish there career with the Sox.....

misty60481
06-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Look at his stats and they compare pretty much as Billy Pierces did in same amount of time---some pretty good company to be in---

CallMeNuts
06-18-2005, 10:02 AM
With a lot of help from Don Cooper, Buehrle's style is rubbing off, to varying degrees to other members of the pitching staff. We've got catchers who know how to call a game. We've got pitchers who get the sign and throw the ball with confidence. Get ahead in the count. Go after the hitters. This is the common thread in the success of the pitching staff. And Buehrle is the consistent role model that style wins games.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 10:12 AM
With a lot of help from Don Cooper, Buehrle's style is rubbing off, to varying degrees to other members of the pitching staff. We've got catchers who know how to call a game. We've got pitchers who get the sign and throw the ball with confidence. Get ahead in the count. Go after the hitters. This is the common thread in the success of the pitching staff. And Buehrle is the consistent role model that style wins games.

Not to bring up a sore subject, but who has Buehrle repeatedly credited for teaching him how to pitch to big league hitters?
:cool:

:XL
"That would be me."

Corlose 15
06-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Not to bring up a sore subject, but who has Buehrle repeatedly credited for teaching him how to pitch to big league hitters?
:cool:

:XL
"That would be me."

Rick White!?!?!?

Buehrle_Man56
06-18-2005, 10:42 AM
David Wells.

JB98
06-18-2005, 12:07 PM
David Wells.

Wells might be a fat-ass and a loudmouth, but he's been winning games in the big leagues since I was in junior high. If Wells made Buerhle a better pitcher, then it was worth putting up with his crap for one season.

lostletters
06-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Wells also thinks Buerhle is the best pitcher in Major League baseball. He may have been bad while he was at the White Sox, but it is clear he gained an appreciation for the White Sox ace while he was with the white sox.

Buerhle is incredible. It is clear to me he is going to be a 300 game winner. The level of consistancy is unheard of in baseball, and the only pitchers I can think of in the modern era with that same level of consistancy are already 300 game winners.

Just think of this as well. He is only 27. Most pitchers do not even peak until they are 30 or 31!

It is great to have him. He is probably one of the easiest players to build a pitching staff around because he leads by example and keeps the rest of the team loose.

RallyBowl
06-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Apparently, MB isn't doing anthing special, and has basically been a nobody his whole career because Grandpa Maddux claims he doesn't know who Mark is.

santo=dorf
06-18-2005, 01:03 PM
They flashed an interesting stat on the scoreboard tonight. In the last 5 seasons Mark Buehrle is the #2 ranking pitcher in quality starts (100) second only to Randy Johnson (105). Barry Zito was #3 on the list. That's some pretty darn good company.

Where's Greg Maddux and Ryan Dumpster on that list?

RallyBowl
06-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Where's Greg Maddux and Ryan Dumpster on that list?Nice.

misty60481
06-18-2005, 01:06 PM
maybe somebody should look into Wells as a pitching coach----

shoota
06-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Go the Maryknoll site if you're worried about world hunger.Cripes. it burns my ass that someone makes a thoughtful and heartfelt post and some know-it-all comes along and says they're bigger issues in the world.

Really? Thanks for the insight. You're on a White Sox board, if you think they're bigger issues -- than spend your time somewhere else you condescending mamaluke.

Go MB. Brilliant once again.

Thanks johnnyg83. I didn't appreciate the comment either.

No, but your post is exceptionally creepy. It's so odd and inappropriate it makes me shudder.

Nice use of the bold. :D: