PDA

View Full Version : Statistic people: Can Frank break the record?

Bisco Stu
06-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Currently averaging 1 HR for every 5 official AB's. That would shatter all exisiting records. How many AB's does he have in 05 to have to officially set the record for most HR's per AB?

Brian26
06-17-2005, 09:50 PM
At this pace, he might actually get #500 this year :D:

guillen4life13
06-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Both previous posts are going to have to be deep pink policed.

Deadguy
06-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Currently averaging 1 HR for every 5 official AB's. That would shatter all exisiting records. How many AB's does he have in 05 to have to officially set the record for most HR's per AB?

To qualify, he'd have to have the minimum number of plate appearances required to qualify for the batting title. Probably over 500 PAs, which I don't think he has a chance at getting, even if he were to stay healthy the rest of the year.

He won't keep this pace up. He's only had 3 ABs on the road (and yes, I know he has a road HR), where he has hit only a fraction of the total number of homeruns he's hit since 2002.

PAPChiSox729
06-17-2005, 10:32 PM
To qualify, he'd have to have the minimum number of plate appearances required to qualify for the batting title. Probably over 500 PAs, which I don't think he has a chance at getting, even if he were to stay healthy the rest of the year.

He won't keep this pace up. He's only had 3 ABs on the road (and yes, I know he has a road HR), where he has hit only a fraction of the total number of homeruns he's hit since 2002.

Yeah, for him to break that record would be incredible. It is a little too deep pink for me. Hey, we can dream can't we?

MRKARNO
06-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Over the course of a season, the record is 6.52 AB/HR by Barry Bonds in 2001 when he hit his 73 HRs. Over a shorter period of time, I don't know, but Frank would not qualify.

But if he hit even 30 HRs in 3/5 of the season, I think a lot of people would notice it. Any more and people will really be talking about it for a long time.

:20yearsinthefuture

"I remember, one year Frank Thomas missed the first two months of the season and still managed to hit 40 HRs"

:D:

ondafarm
06-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Most season batting records require 3.1 AB per game played by your team. Normally, thats 502 for a 162 game season. Exceptions can be made (I've seen month or half season records posted.)

SluggersAway
06-17-2005, 11:17 PM
"Dream on, Dream until your dreams come true!"

SouthSide4Life
06-17-2005, 11:24 PM
At this pace, he might actually get #500 this year :D:i was seriously thinking that too, hes only about 20-25 away i beleive....thats attainable

Foulke You
06-17-2005, 11:26 PM
If Frank keeps swinging the bat like this, sooner or later these teams are going to stop pitching to him and take their chances with Konerko.

kojak
06-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Both previous posts are going to have to be deep pink policed.

They have that?

TheOldRoman
06-18-2005, 12:49 AM
i was seriously thinking that too, hes only about 20-25 away i beleive....thats attainable
He has 441 currently. Frank won't hit 500 until late next season.

TDog
06-18-2005, 01:11 AM
It isn't a matter of at-bats to qualify for a batting title. It's plate appearances -- 3.1 appearances per game your team plays. That comes out to 502 plate appearances, which would mean Thomas would probably have to get maybe 400 at bats and hit 80 home runs.

It would also mean Thomas would have to play every day and deeper into games. Some long extra-inning games would be necessary.

ode to veeck
06-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Well, the reason Frank was getting fewer ABs lately, besides coming off a long long off / injury was we were playing several games in those friggin NL parks where there's no DH. Look for Frank to have much more regular playing time as we head back to the AL sched and for Frank to show off that Sox GoGo Mojo.

Deadguy
06-18-2005, 09:51 AM
But if he hit even 30 HRs in 3/5 of the season, I think a lot of people would notice it. Any more and people will really be talking about it for a long time.

:20yearsinthefuture

"I remember, one year Frank Thomas missed the first two months of the season and still managed to hit 40 HRs"

:D:

I remember having some hero worship for little Mac back in 1995, when he hit 39 homeruns in just 317 ABs. I found it more impressive than Albert's 50/50 season, in which he hit 36 homeruns after the all star break.

Of course, now we know why he was able to do that, after just playing sporadically in 1993 and 1994. Now I feel rather foolish for ever thinking so highly of that jag bag, as I'm sure a lot of people do now.

Realistically, Frank isn't going to keep this pace up. He might be able to continue to do it at home, but on the road, his numbers are far more pedestrian. The only times since 2002 that he has excelled on the road were the times he was also playing 1B, which is not an option this season. At home, he has the luxury of going into the clubhouse in between PAs, staying loose with the use of a batting cage, and drinking coffee. If you look in the dugout during the home games, he's hardly ever there.

On the road, he's forced to just sit in the dugout, which is why he can't get into any kind of rhythm. Having Carl DH at least half the time in road games might be a good way to get CE some more PAs, as the difference between being a DH on the road vs. at home doesn't seem to affect his production as much as it has for Frank.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Just for the record, both of Thomas's earlier at-bats were just short of home run distance, too. The second one was sent to the warning track in dead center field. Nearly took the face off the centerfielder trying to catch it, too.
:cool:

samram
06-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Just for the record, both of Thomas's earlier at-bats were just short of home run distance, too. The second one was sent to the warning track in dead center field. Nearly took the face off the centerfielder trying to catch it, too.
:cool:

Yeah, he's a dangerous hitter right now. His swing seems to be as good as it has been since 1997. But we all know that he's gonna bring this team down with his bad attitude- just you wait and see!

voodoochile
06-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I remember having some hero worship for little Mac back in 1995, when he hit 39 homeruns in just 317 ABs. I found it more impressive than Albert's 50/50 season, in which he hit 36 homeruns after the all star break.

Of course, now we know why he was able to do that, after just playing sporadically in 1993 and 1994. Now I feel rather foolish for ever thinking so highly of that jag bag, as I'm sure a lot of people do now.

Realistically, Frank isn't going to keep this pace up. He might be able to continue to do it at home, but on the road, his numbers are far more pedestrian. The only times since 2002 that he has excelled on the road were the times he was also playing 1B, which is not an option this season. At home, he has the luxury of going into the clubhouse in between PAs, staying loose with the use of a batting cage, and drinking coffee. If you look in the dugout during the home games, he's hardly ever there.

On the road, he's forced to just sit in the dugout, which is why he can't get into any kind of rhythm. Having Carl DH at least half the time in road games might be a good way to get CE some more PAs, as the difference between being a DH on the road vs. at home doesn't seem to affect his production as much as it has for Frank.

All of the steroid inflated numbers make Frank's 1994 113 game numbers that much more amazing.

AB 399
HR 38
RBI 101
R 106
BB 109
H 141
2B 34
AVG .353
OBP .487
SLG .729 :o:
OPS 1.216 :o: :o: :o:

He even had a triple that year...

fusillirob1983
06-18-2005, 11:45 AM
All of the steroid inflated numbers make Frank's 1994 113 game numbers that much more amazing.

AB 399
HR 38
RBI 101
R 106
BB 109
H 141
2B 34
AVG .353
OBP .487
SLG .729 :o:
OPS 1.216 :o: :o: :o:

He even had a triple that year...

Yeah, not even a full season, but you'd never know by the numbers.

On another note, his road homer was in Colorado. I'm not saying he can't hit road homers because he definitely can, I just thought some people might be interested in knowing that.