PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Recognizes Cotts and Politte

FloridaSox
06-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Jerry Crasnik in an ESPN article on 10 middle relievers who are providing instant relief recognizes Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte:

"We don't necessarily think we have any middle guys," White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said. "We think they're all setup guys who potentially can close based upon the situation."

Whatever the label, they've been lights out. Politte, the classic short (5-foot-10) and stocky right-hander who scouts tend to dismiss, has always had a big-time arm. But he was never able to find a niche in previous stops with St. Louis, Philadelphia or Toronto.

Politte has found it in Chicago with the help of pitching coach Don Cooper, who has worked to add movement to his formerly straight fastball and a sharper break to his slider.

"The biggest difference with Politte is strike one," said an AL executive. "He was always a guy who pitched behind. I think they have him convinced that if he trusts his stuff and gets ahead a little bit, he's going to have success."

Cotts, 25, came to Chicago from Oakland as part of the Keith Foulke (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5817) trade in 2002. He throws his fastball in the 90-91 mph range, but with enough deception that it looks like 94. Cotts also has a power breaking ball and a changeup that he uses to keep righty hitters honest.

While all five of Chicago's starters are under contract through 2006, and the White Sox have Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7484) and Sean Tracey on the way, it's possible that Cotts could slide into the starting rotation not too far down the road. "Absolutely, that could happen," Williams said.

RallyBowl
06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Jerry Crasnik in an ESPN article on 10 middle relievers who are providing instant relief recognizes Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte:

"We don't necessarily think we have any middle guys," White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said. "We think they're all setup guys who potentially can close based upon the situation."

Whatever the label, they've been lights out. Politte, the classic short (5-foot-10) and stocky right-hander who scouts tend to dismiss, has always had a big-time arm. But he was never able to find a niche in previous stops with St. Louis, Philadelphia or Toronto.

Politte has found it in Chicago with the help of pitching coach Don Cooper, who has worked to add movement to his formerly straight fastball and a sharper break to his slider.

"The biggest difference with Politte is strike one," said an AL executive. "He was always a guy who pitched behind. I think they have him convinced that if he trusts his stuff and gets ahead a little bit, he's going to have success."

Cotts, 25, came to Chicago from Oakland as part of the Keith Foulke (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5817) trade in 2002. He throws his fastball in the 90-91 mph range, but with enough deception that it looks like 94. Cotts also has a power breaking ball and a changeup that he uses to keep righty hitters honest.

While all five of Chicago's starters are under contract through 2006, and the White Sox have Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7484) and Sean Tracey on the way, it's possible that Cotts could slide into the starting rotation not too far down the road. "Absolutely, that could happen," Williams said.Yea, as long as it's not at Yankme stadium.

PAPChiSox729
06-17-2005, 09:47 PM
While all five of Chicago's starters are under contract through 2006, and the White Sox have Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7484) and Sean Tracey on the way, it's possible that Cotts could slide into the starting rotation not too far down the road. "Absolutely, that could happen," Williams said.

I've always thought of that. Cotts was at first considered a starter in grooming when he was called up. But he has been so lights out in the bullpen, I wonder if he would consider staying there the rest of his career. I am sure he would prefer starting, but you have to look at what you are good at. I don't know if he can be as good of a starter as he is a reliever.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Tonight on the Tribune web site Ozzie is quoted as saying that he thinks Cotts will be a future closer because 'he can pitch two or three days in a row.'

Just FYI.

Lip

Iguana775
06-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Tonight on the Tribune web site Ozzie is quoted as saying that he thinks Cotts will be a future closer because 'he can pitch two or three days in a row.'

Just FYI.

Lip

But he doesnt throw 100 mph. He can't be a closer!

clee-hegone
06-18-2005, 12:56 AM
But he doesnt throw 100 mph. He can't be a closer!

plus he isnt wierd, has no goofy look to him, and he isnt a latino, to be a closer u must have 1 of the 3.

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2005, 01:38 AM
It's great to see Cotts finally coming together and looking like the ace I saw from him while he pitched at ISU!

guillen4life13
06-18-2005, 01:43 AM
plus he isnt wierd, has no goofy look to him, and he isnt a latino, to be a closer u must have 1 of the 3.

...Keith Foulke? Anyone?

Mr. White Sox
06-18-2005, 01:49 AM
...Keith Foulke? Anyone?

Yeah!
and...
Jose Mesa, Billy Koch, Dustin Hermanson, Bob Wickman, Todd Jones, Francisco Rodriguez, Jason Isringhausen, Eric Gagne

But seriously, I think that's wrong. Hoffman and Wagner look normal enough, right? But then again, more than 50% have one of those three traits, I suppose.

doublem23
06-18-2005, 01:53 AM
I've always thought of that. Cotts was at first considered a starter in grooming when he was called up. But he has been so lights out in the bullpen, I wonder if he would consider staying there the rest of his career. I am sure he would prefer starting, but you have to look at what you are good at. I don't know if he can be as good of a starter as he is a reliever.

That was conventional wisdom on Jon Garland 2-3 years ago. Give the kid time.