PDA

View Full Version : The ESPN Lovefest continues

kojak
06-17-2005, 06:08 PM
I found this unusual article about The Flame-throwing Twins Pitchers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2088251). Learned some stuff I didn't know.

Imagine that; an article about the under-appreciated Minnesota Twins. It was just nice to get a freaking break from all of these repetitive columns on why the White Sox are the best team in baseball and the White Sox are beating up on everybody and the White Sox this and the White Sox that. You'd think it was WSPN, for cryin' out loud!

ATXBMX
06-17-2005, 06:19 PM
So Radke doesn't walk anyone, big deal. He's still on pace to give up 45 homers. Meanwhile, Garland is on pace to walk 42, but only give up 22 homers. Buehrle is even better at 39 walks, 17 homers.

kojak
06-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Preach it, brother!

...or sister...

fquaye149
06-17-2005, 07:28 PM
So Radke doesn't walk anyone, big deal. He's still on pace to give up 45 homers. Meanwhile, Garland is on pace to walk 42, but only give up 22 homers. Buehrle is even better at 39 walks, 17 homers.

some might say the reason radke is so average is that he throws too many strikes.

yeah, walks are bad, but you have to be off the plate every now and then.

good thing he's being paid 9 million.

Meixner007
06-17-2005, 07:43 PM
I found this unusual article about The Flame-throwing Twins Pitchers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2088251). Learned some stuff I didn't know.

Imagine that; an article about the under-appreciated Minnesota Twins. It was just nice to get a freaking break from all of these repetitive columns on why the White Sox are the best team in baseball and the White Sox are beating up on everybody and the White Sox this and the White Sox that. You'd think it was WSPN, for cryin' out loud!

:tealpolice:

buehrle4cy05
06-17-2005, 09:49 PM
:tealtutor: .

mccoydp
06-17-2005, 09:57 PM

:tealpolice:

That should do it...glad to help!

Good points...my sentiments exactly.

kojak
06-18-2005, 12:37 AM
I should have shown you my credentials, but I have diplomatic immunity. :tongue:

SluggersAway
06-18-2005, 12:52 AM
And 6 games back from the Glorious Cause that is the Chicago White Sox.

Give them all the TV time they want as long as we keep on doing what we are doing.

NWSox
06-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Another banner day for ESPN with that article and the Nats at the top of the Power Rankings. :rolleyes: We all like the Nats story, but best in baseball? Gimme a break.

kojak
06-18-2005, 12:27 PM
You could almost sticky this thread as we add the daily dreck. Is their editor Dick Daley?

From the MLB front page:
Tired of the Yankees and Red Sox? John Kruk is. He'd rather look toward the West Coast at a team like the Arizona Diamondbacks, who have gone largely unnoticed.

I have heard of bipolar disorder. Perhaps Kruk has bicoastal disorder...

SoxSpeed22
06-18-2005, 12:57 PM
He also said Craig Counsell could win MVP.
:dumbpeople:
In this case, he's not posting here. Good luck sellin' that idea when you got Derrick Lee, Albert Pujols, Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, Nick Johnson, David Eckstein, Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Delgado...I could keep this up, but I don't feel like it.

Mr. White Sox
06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Another banner day for ESPN with that article and the Nats at the top of the Power Rankings. :rolleyes: We all like the Nats story, but best in baseball? Gimme a break.

You might be a legitimate moron. 39-28 on a hot streak clearly makes you better than a consistent 44-22. Learn your baseball NW! If you look at the past weeks of power rankings, the cardinals and white sox are at the #1 spot about 50/50...meanwhile, in other sports, i'm sure the team with the best record usually is the number 1 spot...steelers/pats last year for example.

NWSox
06-19-2005, 12:27 AM
You might be a legitimate moron. 39-28 on a hot streak clearly makes you better than a consistent 44-22. Learn your baseball NW! If you look at the past weeks of power rankings, the cardinals and white sox are at the #1 spot about 50/50...meanwhile, in other sports, i'm sure the team with the best record usually is the number 1 spot...steelers/pats last year for example.

I think they just get bored picking the same teams. It's like the folks who pick ed Karl Malone over MJ for MVP.

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm wondering if we're going to be "under the radar" until mid-September as far as ESPN is concerned. Tonight I caught ESPNews and after waiting through highlights from 4 (?!?) other games, they FINALLY showed the highlights from our 12-2 masterpiece over the Cubs. It gets better though... they did one of those "spin-doctor stats" graphics noting that only 1 team in the last five years that was the first to reach 50 wins had won their division, and to add insult to injury commentator Cindy Brunson added some really catty commentary that (based on that spin-doctored statistic) "the Sox might not really be all that and a bag of chips". Oh yeah, and they closed out the segment with the "good news for Cub fans" of Mark Prior pitching vs. the Sox on Sunday and that Kerry Wood may return within a week!

Barf!

Banix12
06-25-2005, 04:37 AM
I'm wondering if we're going to be "under the radar" until mid-September as far as ESPN is concerned. Tonight I caught ESPNews and after waiting through highlights from 4 (?!?) other games, they FINALLY showed the highlights from our 12-2 masterpiece over the Cubs. It gets better though... they did one of those "spin-doctor stats" graphics noting that only 1 team in the last five years that was the first to reach 50 wins had won their division, and to add insult to injury commentator Cindy Brunson added some really catty commentary that (based on that spin-doctored statistic) "the Sox might not really be all that and a bag of chips". Oh yeah, and they closed out the segment with the "good news for Cub fans" of Mark Prior pitching vs. the Sox on Sunday and that Kerry Wood may return within a week!

Barf!

It's the sad truth, if you aren't one of the predetermined favorites to start the season the media is going to be waiting for you to crash and burn to come down to the level they thought you were supposed to play at. Conversely if you were one of the predetermined favorites, the media says you're just having a slow start and are primed to take off soon.

Eventually though if a team gets out to a big enough lead in their division, they have to concede the point like they did last year with the Cardinals beating out Houston and the Cubs. That day should be coming soon for the Sox with the Twins really faltering lately. Though who knows, they might then start talking about Cleveland catching up as a hot team.

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2005, 06:04 PM
It's the sad truth, if you aren't one of the predetermined favorites to start the season the media is going to be waiting for you to crash and burn to come down to the level they thought you were supposed to play at.

The way ESPN is, I'll bet today's loss to the Cubs will be headlining tonight. :angry:

Fenway
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
The way ESPN is, I'll bet today's loss to the Cubs will be headlining tonight. :angry:

Don't worry, the Yankees getting spanked by the Mets will be #1 :smile:

RadioheadRocks
06-27-2005, 12:24 AM
As if ESPN couldn't possibly crap on the Sox any more, this banner headline appeared on the MLB Home of ESPN.com tonight, along with a big, smiling picture of Mark Prior:

A Cubs Town
Pitching for the first time in nearly a month, Mark Prior sure made his presence felt Sunday. Prior tossed six shutout innings, allowing one hit, in the Cubs' 2-0 win over the White Sox.

Excuse me, ESPN, but the Sox still have the BEST record in baseball and although they lost 2 out of 3 at the Cell to the Cubs, they took 2 out of 3 from them at Wrigley last month. So you can blow that "Cubs Town" $hit out of your collective @$$e$!

Thanks... I feel so much better now! :smile:

Mr. White Sox
06-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Thanks... I feel so much better now! :smile:

So do I...now that Jeff Brantley, Buster Olney, Peter Gammonds and John Kruk like us, I feel completely vindicated as a Sox fan. I can like the Sox without feeling guilty now!

kojak
07-01-2005, 01:14 PM
So I checked the baseball standings on espn.com and it shows that the White Sox apparently have not only more wins, but fewer losses than just about any team in baseball.

Of coors, you have to look in the standings to find this because it sure as hell ain't evident in any other section of their stinking website, Experts All-Star picks included.

:lame: