PDA

View Full Version : Donnelly slapped with 10-game suspension

maurice
06-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2088557)

:ozzie
"Whose the bitch now, Brenda?"

hose
06-17-2005, 06:55 PM
10.....wow!!

I can't recall what Sam Sosa got for the corked bat.

Unregistered
06-17-2005, 07:00 PM
That's what you get for messin' with Frank Robinson.

itsjustinf
06-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Sosa got 7 games for the corked bat incident. Frankly, I think that Donnelly's suspension is lenient considering this is the second time he's been caught cheating this season. He says that the game against the sox got blown out of proportion, but he was breaking a written, not unwritten, rule. He's gonna have to watch everything he does from this point on, because the ump's definitely will be.

Buehrle_Man56
06-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Man I think thats a little too harsh...I'd say 5 would be right.

DaleJRFan
06-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Didn't Mike Scocia throw a fit about Rincon getting busted for 'PED' earlier this year, since the Angels were facing the Twins when the suspension was over???

What a hypocrite.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2005, 11:47 PM
For those of you to young to remember when Rick Honeycutt was with the Mariners and was caught with a thumbtack taped to his finger he was outed for 10 games...ditto Joe Niekro with the Twins when he was accosted on the mound by umpires and tossed an emery board out of his back pocket.

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 12:21 AM
For those of you to young to remember when Rick Honeycutt was with the Mariners and was caught with a thumbtack taped to his finger he was outed for 10 games...ditto Joe Niekro with the Twins when he was accosted on the mound by umpires and tossed an emery board out of his back pocket.

Lip

That is funny. You can't make stuff like that up. So who was the ultimate doctor of baseballs?

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2005, 01:21 AM
So who was the ultimate doctor of baseballs?Oh, that would be so hard to call. Gaylord Perry, of course. But many players have said that when Whitey Ford was pitching, Yogi Berra would scuff the ball on the ground, or nick it on a sharpened buckle on his catcher's mitt, and Whitey could make that ball do things that just weren't possible.

TornLabrum
06-18-2005, 01:32 AM
Oh, that would be so hard to call. Gaylord Perry, of course. But many players have said that when Whitey Ford was pitching, Yogi Berra would scuff the ball on the ground, or nick it on a sharpened buckle on his catcher's mitt, and Whitey could make that ball do things that just weren't possible.

I believe Whitey has admitted that he would wear a ring when pitching that he'd scratch the ball with.

FarWestChicago
06-18-2005, 02:31 AM
That is funny. You can't make stuff like that up. So who was the ultimate doctor of baseballs?Greg Maddux. :cool:

Mr. White Sox
06-18-2005, 02:44 AM
So who was the ultimate doctor of baseballs?

:butter
"How else do you think I got my 31 career wins?"

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 02:46 AM
:butter
"How else do you think I got my 31 career wins?"

Butter! The mystery substance.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2005, 04:14 AM
That ring Whitey used to scuff up was his wedding ring of all things! Great story about Whitey as told by Jim Bouton. The home plate umpire got wise to what Whitey was doing and made a visit to the mound. Rather then embarass Whitey, the umpire according to Bouton said...'Whitey your jockstrap needs adjusting. And when you come back from the clubhouse it better be without that ring...'

That's a great question...since the spitter was outlawed I'd have to say Gaylord Perry who used everything from spit, grease, vasaline, hair tonic and sweat to make a ball sing and dance. He also was a master psycologist often pretending to 'load one' up with his brushing of the piping on his uniform pants, tugging at his cap, running his hand along his jersey and other things. It planted the seed of doubt in hitters minds. They never knew for sure when one was coming!

Other guys who did things to baseballs were Don Drysdale, Phil 'The Vulture' Regan, Mike Scott and the Sox own Early Wynn.

Lip

MUsoxfan
06-18-2005, 04:32 AM
and the Sox own Early Wynn.

Lip

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

TornLabrum
06-18-2005, 09:37 AM
That ring Whitey used to scuff up was his wedding ring of all things! Great story about Whitey as told by Jim Bouton. The home plate umpire got wise to what Whitey was doing and made a visit to the mound. Rather then embarass Whitey, the umpire according to Bouton said...'Whitey your jockstrap needs adjusting. And when you come back from the clubhouse it better be without that ring...'

That's a great question...since the spitter was outlawed I'd have to say Gaylord Perry who used everything from spit, grease, vasaline, hair tonic and sweat to make a ball sing and dance. He also was a master psycologist often pretending to 'load one' up with his brushing of the piping on his uniform pants, tugging at his cap, running his hand along his jersey and other things. It planted the seed of doubt in hitters minds. They never knew for sure when one was coming!

Other guys who did things to baseballs were Don Drysdale, Phil 'The Vulture' Regan, Mike Scott and the Sox own Early Wynn.

Lip

Lew Burdette of the Braves (and others) was highly suspected during his career of using the spitter. I'm not sure if he was ever caught or if he admitted to it, though.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 09:53 AM

Good thing Early is already dead. I'm guessing Konerko would call him out to the media before tonight's game... and the aPaulogists would agree, too. It's just sooooo embarrassing to win like that!
:roflmao:

:walnuts
"He did? That's not right. I wasn't alive to see it, I wasn't even in the womb. But you don't do that."

:uribe:
"Shuddup, bitch."

:ozzie:
"What he said."

Malgar 12
06-18-2005, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]Good thing Early is already dead. I'm guessing Konerko would call him out to the media before tonight's game... and the aPaulogists would agree, too. It's just sooooo embarrassing to win like that!

Wait a minute, the spitball is obviously cheating. What Uribe did is no different from, at least most would argue, a outfielder pretending he knows where the ball is (when he's lost it, or its headed out of the park) to slow down the runners.

If you want to defend questions of strategic ettiquette so be it,
but lets not defend cheating just because its one of OUR players.

samram
06-18-2005, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]Good thing Early is already dead. I'm guessing Konerko would call him out to the media before tonight's game... and the aPaulogists would agree, too. It's just sooooo embarrassing to win like that!

Wait a minute, the spitball is obviously cheating. What Uribe did is no different from, at least most would argue, a outfielder pretending he knows where the ball is (when he's lost it, or its headed out of the park) to slow down the runners.

Not to speak for PHG, but he's not defending Early Wynn, he's making fun of Konerko, whom, it would seem, never has anything good to say about his current teammates. He reserves his positive thoughts for former teammates who are clubhouse cancers.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Malgar 12]

Not to speak for PHG, but he's not defending Early Wynn, he's making fun of Konerko, whom, it would seem, never has anything good to say about his current teammates. He reserves his positive thoughts for former teammates who are clubhouse cancers.

Yeah, what you said.
:cool:

Malgar 12
06-18-2005, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Malgar 12]

Oh well I apologize if I misunderstood, but I think my point is well taken either way.

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 04:42 PM

So what about the deke in hockey? The pump fake in football? The head fake in baketball? Are all those cheaters as well?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Malgar 12]

So what about the deke in hockey? The pump fake in football? The head fake in baketball? Are all those cheaters as well?

Absolutely. Anytime you deceive your opponent you are cheating. Anytime you steal your opponent's secret signs, you are cheating. Anytime you shoot dead your opponent's third base coach and tell the baserunner a fib, you are cheating.

You are 100 percent responsible for giving your opponent every opportunity to beat you, no matter how incompetent, how stupid, and how utterly gullible they truly are.

:cool:

Malgar 12
06-18-2005, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Malgar 12]

You're making my point for me. THose are strategic plays which I don't have a problem with. This spitball which I thought was being defended in the case of Early Winn (assuming he did...) is another matter altogether...

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=Cubbiesuck13]

You're making my point for me. THose are strategic plays which I don't have a problem with. This spitball which I thought was being defended in the case of Early Winn (assuming he did...) is another matter altogether...

Sorry, I thought you were saying what Uribe did to Lee was the same as throwing a spitter.