PDA

View Full Version : When the Sox ruled Chicago

chisox59
06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Nice article in the Trib of all places relating to a time when the White Sox were THE team in the city. Anyone else besides me remember the dual broadcast?

Link http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050616soxside,1,196905.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

veeter
06-17-2005, 04:14 PM
In the article the Sox weren't just out drawing the Cubs, they were drawing FOUR to FIVE times more people. The Cubs would have 4500 and the Sox in the 20,000's. Historically the Sox have been the much better club and the crowds reflected that. Today, the Sox are still the better club, with a few exceptions, but the crowds don't reflect that.

Rocky Soprano
06-17-2005, 04:24 PM
:sahaf

"Lies I tell you! Lies! This is and has ALWAYS been
a Cubbie city! This is our year, I can feel it! WOO!"

whtsx1959
06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I would love to see a picture of Wrigley with only 5000 people in it

Lip Man 1
06-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Check out anything you can find from 1983. That's the last year they actually 'closed' the upped deck due to lack of fans.

Lip

whtsx1959
06-17-2005, 05:06 PM
i'm on it

Goose
06-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I would love to see a picture of Wrigley with only 5000 people in it

It would look something like this...

LongLiveFisk
06-17-2005, 05:31 PM
:reinsy
"What are you talking about? Chicago has always been a Cubs town."

tebman
06-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Check out anything you can find from 1983. That's the last year they actually 'closed' the upped deck due to lack of fans.

Lip
Thanks for the factoid, Lip. I hadn't been able to find out when the Chicago National League Ball Club stopped closing the upper deck. I know that for many years the UD was closed for weekday games. The "crowds" were usually so thin that it just didn't pay for Wrigley to have the extra ushers, vendors, etc., up there.

All this nonsense about attendance is really tiresome. The reason they've drawn so well in the last 15 years is because The Shrine became simply the biggest of the singles bars in that neighborhood. When the area around Clark, Belmont, Irving Park and Broadway gentrified, the Tribune company got lucky. When they bought that team the property was in a sketchy neighborhood. Now it's a yuppie Disneyland, and the Tribune pipe-puffers are taking it to the bank.

I love baseball, not singles bars. The White Sox play baseball. 'Nuff said.

PaulDrake
06-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Nice article in the Trib of all places relating to a time when the White Sox were THE team in the city. Anyone else besides me remember the dual broadcast?

Link http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050616soxside,1,196905.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines I plead guilty, I remember it. IIRC TV watchers got to see all runs scored by both Chicago teams. I remember reading an article in one of the Chicago papers (I can't remember which one, there were 4 in those days) that acknowledged Jack Brickhouse was more of a Cub fan than a Sox fan, so Vince Lloyd got the Comiskey Park assignment. Brickhouse aside, Chicago really was a Sox town back then.