PDA

View Full Version : Sandberg vomits on computer, submits as yahoo column

samram
06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-cycle061705&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So now a criterion for being a "Homerun" series is involving two .500 teams? Oh, it has to do with their meeting in a World Series 70 years ago? I think there may be another series with two teams that met in a World Series even more recently, but I'm probably just imagining things....

Hey Ryno, the HOF publicity tour is over. Anytime you want to rededicate your life to finding out how many guys your ex-wife cheated on you with, you feel free.

MUScholar21
06-17-2005, 02:14 PM
That might be the best title to a thread I have ever seen :D:

If any of you are going to say the White Sox series is the best one of the weekend, you have been eating too much of the "first time since '59" cereal and may need your stomach pumped. Nationally, our series doesn't mean too much except for the fact it is two first place teams. But I agree Ryno is too captivated with his Cubs every week, and it is COMPLETELY undermining his credibility.

cheeses_h_rice
06-17-2005, 02:18 PM

If any of you are going to say the White Sox series is the best one of the weekend, you have been eating too much of the "first time since '59" cereal and may need your stomach pumped. Nationally, our series doesn't mean too much except for the fact it is two first place teams. But I agree Ryno is too captivated with his Cubs every week, and it is COMPLETELY undermining his credibility.

Define "best series." Personally, I think the Sox/Dodgers matchup is at least as interesting, historically, as Yankees/Flubs. And at least one of the teams involved isn't hovering around the .500 mark.

Nats/Rangers and Pads/Twins are at least as interesting as the "marquee" series Ryno's hyping. At least those will be good baseball games.

kittle42
06-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Given the ineptitude of the Dodgers, the Sox/LA matchup is no more or less interesting than the clash of .500

samram
06-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Given the ineptitude of the Dodgers, the Sox/LA matchup is no more or less interesting than the clash of .500

Well, my point was that he seems to base one series on history and the rest on the performance of the teams to this point.

kittle42
06-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Well, my point was that he seems to base one series on history and the rest on the performance of the teams to this point.

Don't you know that franchises like the Cubs and, prior to this year, the Red Sox, are steeped in rich tradition despite losing every single year?

Interestingly, outside of the Red Sox, ever notice how the only teams who prided themselves on their "rich traditions" were some of the losing teams in this town, namely the Cubs, Bears, and Blackhawks?

MUScholar21
06-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I would much rather everyone be playing this up as two of the best teams in baseball, not this crap about the '59 series.

cheeses_h_rice
06-17-2005, 03:09 PM
I would much rather everyone be playing this up as two of the best teams in baseball, not this crap about the '59 series.

That would require the Dodgers being one of the best teams in baseball, not a team one game over .500.

ondafarm
06-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Apart from the '59 series history, I think this is a pretty dog gone good series. How will a potent Dodger lineup do with an extra DH against some pretty fine, playoff caliber pitching? And the maligned Sox offense against a mediocre Dodger staff?

I think the series will be at least as good as the one in New York. The Padres-Twins will be interesting but I don't think the Twinkies will sweep them like Sandberg does.

I've noticed that Sandberg (on Yahoo Sports) seems to downplay the ESPN chosen game every chance he gets, especially if it features the White Sox. Could there be a rivalry there? Do we care?

downstairs
06-17-2005, 03:13 PM
The "best" series are series pitting two *current* contenders against each other. Sox/LA and Cubs/NY aren't these.

Until your past season performance has anything to do with the current season's, then its all just fodder for ESPN.

I suppose the only thing you could say about the Cubs/NY series is that its interesting to see them both play for a high draft pick in '06. :cool:

MUScholar21
06-17-2005, 03:14 PM
That would require the Dodgers being one of the best teams in baseball, not a team one game over .500.

Wow. I don't know where I came up with that. As Corky said after his incident,

I just...apologize.

I think I was still thinking of the Dodger team that started out the year, and not the one that has crapped its collective pants in the past 3 weeks. Sorry guys, I sounded like a sCrUB fan with no idea of what is going on.

buehrle4cy05
06-17-2005, 03:19 PM

:roflmao::rolling:

We need a pic for that (AKA something like the Tomato Award-but for best thread title)

cheeses_h_rice
06-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Wow. I don't know where I came up with that. As Corky said after his incident,

I just...apologize.

I think I was still thinking of the Dodger team that started out the year, and not the one that has crapped its collective pants in the past 3 weeks. Sorry guys, I sounded like a sCrUB fan with no idea of what is going on.

The Dodgers started incredibly hot and got out to a 12-2 start, and since then they've gone 21-30. I know they lost Manos to a knee injury, but he wasn't hitting all that great when he got hurt, so it must have been other injuries like Gagne's or a collective slump.

MRKARNO
06-17-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't understand (except for Cubs bias) why the media has chosen to lump the Yankees-Cubs rematch with the Dodgers-White Sox rematch. The Dodgers-White Sox series is the rematch of Chicago's last World Series in 46 years! The Cubs-Yankees series? There was nothing particularly exciting about them at all, nothing particularly notable and both were 4-0 sweeps by the Yankees. I don't know where to find the ranking of the best World Series ever that ESPN did some time ago, but I'm pretty sure that these two ranked among the worst. It was a shame on the NL that the Cubs even made it those two years, capturing the pennant with only 90 and 89 games respectively in '32 and '38.

Essentially, it's a matchup of the Chicago media's favorite against the New York media's favorite and the World Series bit is just an excuse to downplay the '59 series rematch.

In terms of the teams involved, the Sox-Dodgers series is better. The Sox are the best team in baseball and the Dodgers are 2.5 games off the pace in the NL West. The Yankees-Cubs series features the one game over .500 Yankees (6 games behind ShamMe and the O's), coming off of their glorious sweep of the Pirates and the Cubs, who are 6.5 games behind the Cards and 1.5 back in the WC. In contention, but that doesn't make up for the fact that this series lacks the best team in the majors.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2005, 05:33 PM

Agreed!:roflmao::rolling:

Best. Thread title. Ever!

:supernana:

LuvSox
06-17-2005, 11:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-cycle061705&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So now a criterion for being a "Homerun" series is involving two .500 teams? Oh, it has to do with their meeting in a World Series 70 years ago? I think there may be another series with two teams that met in a World Series even more recently, but I'm probably just imagining things....

Hey Ryno, the HOF publicity tour is over. Anytime you want to rededicate your life to finding out how many guys your ex-wife cheated on you with, you feel free.

Black Jack had some very good columns, I miss him.

"Hey Ryno, I'm here to mow the lawn."

TDog
06-18-2005, 12:53 AM
The Cubs and Yankees series matches up two teams picked by many to win their divisions. The fact that each team has sought out new and different ways to lose this year makes this series rife with comedic potential. Cubs visit the Bronx. Hilarity ensues. (I didn't see tonight's game, but peeking at the score, I imagine both teams displayed moments of failure.)

The Cubs' postseason ineptitude against the Yankees about seven decades ago is the only thing that makes this series interesting.

Personally, I'm surprised this odd looking man left out the Pirates-Red Sox rematch of the 1903 World Series.

soxfan26
06-18-2005, 04:17 PM
How will a potent Dodger lineup do with an extra DH against some pretty fine, playoff caliber pitching?

An extra DH? Now that's just not fair! :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't understand (except for Cubs bias) why the media has chosen to lump the Yankees-Cubs rematch with the Dodgers-White Sox rematch. The Dodgers-White Sox series is the rematch of Chicago's last World Series in 46 years! The Cubs-Yankees series? There was nothing particularly exciting about them at all, nothing particularly notable and both were 4-0 sweeps by the Yankees. I don't know where to find the ranking of the best World Series ever that ESPN did some time ago, but I'm pretty sure that these two ranked among the worst. It was a shame on the NL that the Cubs even made it those two years, capturing the pennant with only 90 and 89 games respectively in '32 and '38.

Essentially, it's a matchup of the Chicago media's favorite against the New York media's favorite and the World Series bit is just an excuse to downplay the '59 series rematch.

In terms of the teams involved, the Sox-Dodgers series is better. The Sox are the best team in baseball and the Dodgers are 2.5 games off the pace in the NL West. The Yankees-Cubs series features the one game over .500 Yankees (6 games behind ShamMe and the O's), coming off of their glorious sweep of the Pirates and the Cubs, who are 6.5 games behind the Cards and 1.5 back in the WC. In contention, but that doesn't make up for the fact that this series lacks the best team in the majors.

You're talking waaaaay too much sense to making posts like this on the "What's the Score" board, Karno.
:thumbsup:

We all know hyping Cubs/Yanks is no different than hyping up Cubs/Red Sox. This is just the media's way of making themselves worthy of being interesting to the widest group of idiots they can possibly reach.

They don't give a **** about Sox/LA rematch anymore than they gave a **** about the Sox/Giants rematch last summer. Hell, if it wasn't for Bob Vandenberg at the Cubune, I doubt we would have seen any hype at all about the Sox series this weekend.
:o:

Dan McGrath and his apologists around here will cry cry CRY about how they're not biased, but the truth is they are 100 percent bias to WHAT SELLS NEWSPAPERS. McGrath and his ilk will simply shrug their shoulders when it is rightly pointed out that their bias towards whoring newspapers simply reinforces the bias that makes the Flubbies the choice of every idiot in Chicago and across America.

Again, they don't give a ****, and their apologists don't give a **** either. Hell, McGrath will even claim it's his job to pump up the Flubs and **** over the Sox -- how do you think he became sports editor? It sure wasn't for being an alledged Sox Fan, that's for sure.

ChiSox14305635
06-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Prediction: Cubs win two out of three games.

Oops. :tongue: