PDA

View Full Version : Good Carol Slezak column

irish rover
06-17-2005, 10:06 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol17.html

I remember a few years ago she wrote one about how when she got home she found a coob fan had parked his car in her garage so as not to
pay for parking

Cellview22
06-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for posting that. That was a fun read. Made me feel like I just went to both ballparks, even though I would never show up at Wrigley. Good stuff!

SOXSINCE'70
06-17-2005, 10:27 AM
The lesson here is:

NEVER EAT A VEGGIE BURGER AT A BASEBALL GAME.

I prefer Kosher hot dogs and Sportschip cookies,myself.
They are the most endearing qualities of Sox Park to me.:D:

zach074
06-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for posting that. That was a fun read. Made me feel like I just went to both ballparks, even though I would never show up at Wrigley. Good stuff!

Wrigley has some of the worst views you will ever see. The upperdeck is better than the lower deck if you in the last 15 rows. If the ball goes higher than 10 feet you can't see it.

Madvora
06-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that was a good read. I love happy endings.

SOXPHILE
06-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Not quite sure what the point of that article was though. O.K., you went to both games, ate veggie burgers, were cold, and your dog pooped on the floor. Not sure why you needed to tell us about it though. I don't know, I don't read her columns, but she comes off in this one as one of those people trying oh so hard to be hip and "with it", but only looking like another pseudo-philisophical "I'm above it all" writer. I could be wrong.

32nd&Wallace
06-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Anybody know anything about Carol Sleazak...Is she from Chicago originally? How long has she been at the SunTimes?

PaulDrake
06-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Not quite sure what the point of that article was though. O.K., you went to both games, ate veggie burgers, were cold, and your dog pooped on the floor. Not sure why you needed to tell us about it though. I don't know, I don't read her columns, but she comes off in this one as one of those people trying oh so hard to be hip and "with it", but only looking like another pseudo-philisophical "I'm above it all" writer. I could be wrong. And you could be right.

Irishsox1
06-17-2005, 10:47 AM
You call that writing!!! How this hack actually receives a pay check is beyond me. I remember she wrote an article how trading Brook Fordyce for Charles Johnson was a bad trade because Fordyce was a nice guy and good looking....and it was in the sports page!

Sxy Mofo
06-17-2005, 10:50 AM
I do think it's stupid how she acts "above" people wearing jersey to the game. I'm not a jersey wearer to the games, but no need to hate on anyone who does.

If you wear a jersey and know your baseball, I'm going to like you. If you don't wear a jersey and know your baseball, i'm going to like you.
If you don't know your baseball, you better cheer loud (even if you haven't a clue).

mweflen
06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Oooookay... So what I got from the articles is:

-veggie burgers at both parks suck.

-sox fans read fly balls better (obvious)

-Sox fans (12-6 victory) were happy, Cubs fans (15-5 loss), inexplicably, were not.

-Carol Sleazak not like connecting adverbs.

Well, at least it's better than reading Moronotti.:rolleyes:

rdwj
06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
...she comes off in this one as one of those people trying oh so hard to be hip and "with it", but only looking like another pseudo-philisophical "I'm above it all" writer. I could be wrong.

I thought the same thing. It doesn't sound like she had a great time at either game - but gave the edge to the Sox because it wasn't as bad of an experience.

Pretty crappy excuse for a sports article if you ask me.

daveeym
06-17-2005, 10:54 AM
The lesson here is:

NEVER EAT A VEGGIE BURGER.

I prefer Kosher hot dogs and Sportschip cookies,myself.
They are the most endearing qualities of Sox Park to me.:D:

Fixed that for ya.

Sxy Mofo
06-17-2005, 10:57 AM

Straight up.

Iwritecode
06-17-2005, 11:20 AM
I like the fact that she managed to squeeze every single stereotype (can they really be considered stereotypes when they are true?) into the article.

Wrigley
Parking sucks.
Sightlines suck.
Food sucks
Fans (and reporters it seems) spend more time on cell phones than actually watching game.
Fans can’t tell the difference between a pop fly and a homerun.
Fans have no idea who the players are since they don’t have names on the backs of their jerseys.
Ron Santo is an idiot
The bathrooms are horrible.
Fans will cheer for anything, even when they are down by 10+ runs.

US Cellular
Plenty of police presence around the dangerous area surronding the park.
Great sightlines.
Wide aisles.
Clean bathrooms.
Good scoreboard.
Fireworks are good.
Fans appriciate good performance from players. Especially future hall-of-famers.
Fans pay more attention to game than cell phones.
Only need Nancy to get through the 7th innning stretch.
Fans actually stay through the 9th inning.

BedfordChisox
06-17-2005, 11:23 AM
While the article itself is somewhat humorous, Carol Slezak is biased. Her yellow (or maybe I should call it "maize") journalism is legendary. Her dream job would be at the Detroit Free-Press or with whatever newspaper enlightens the city of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Little wet-butted, homely Carol, you see, is a grad of the Univ. of Michigan. No single columnist was more angst-ridden than Carol as the Illini made their march to the NCAA championship game. Apparently, in Carol's world, it is impossible for a B10 team to make it all the way to a championship game unless a gambler is paying all the players. I am sure Carol's efforts to uncover corruption within this past year's Illini basketball program would rival anything Woodward and Bernstein did. Sorry, Carol, but they actually accomplished it the right way. Of course, Carol can always fall back on Mike White's tenure in order to denigrate the UI. Note to Carol: That was 20 years ago. Not defending past Illini mistakes, but she needs to recognize that Michigan's "problems" were quite a bit more recent than Illinois'... and a hell of a lot more serious.

She also was the one and only writer to defend that imbecile David Terrell. Why? Well, check out where David attended classes.

For the life of me, I don't know why the Sun-Times employs her, unless it is only because her writing usually upsets people like myself (a la Moronotti).

Who wants to be that one of her articles in the future expounds upon how the sun always shines and the veggie burgers are just wonderful at Comerica Park?

Now that that vitriole is out of my system, it's almost noon here. Time for a beer to calm down.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Tell us how you really feel, man :D:

:prozac

Dick Allen
06-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, at least this article was a bit more interesting than her usual rants about women's sports and how everything is so unfair to female athletes. WHO CARES????????!!!!!!!

BedfordChisox
06-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the Prozac suggestion, Mweflen, but I'm already half way through beer #2, and I've read that mixing Prozac and alcohol is a bad thing :D:

TheOldRoman
06-17-2005, 11:51 AM
She also was the one and only writer to defend that imbecile David Terrell. Why? Well, check out where David attended classes.
I actually know someone who lived in Terrell's dorm his first year or two. He didn't attend classes.

Sxy Mofo
06-17-2005, 11:52 AM
I actually know someone who lived in Terrell's dorm his first year or two. He didn't attend classes.

I wouldn't have ever guessed. He seemed like such a smart kid with a level head...

BainesHOF
06-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Why this qualifies as a sports column is beyond me.

BaseballTonyght
06-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Good read. Enjoyed that.

Jerko
06-17-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't know what was more disturbing, the dog poo/puke, the veggie burgers, or the possibility that I'm gonna end up sitting in the same seat that once adorned Carol Slezak's wet ass. Oh well, I'm off to go buy a "player jersey" or 2 now. Iwritecodes last post was better than that whole article.

wdelaney72
06-17-2005, 12:06 PM
a coob fan had parked his car in her garage so as not to
pay for parking

Not that she did this in this article, but that's the price people pay for living by the ballpark. I don't feel a bit sorry for her.

I've heard countless complaints like that from people who live around there, and my response is always the same...

"You did know there was a Major League ballpark in the neighborhood before you moved in, right?"

BedfordChisox
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
OldRoman:

I am stunned, absolutely STUNNED that there could be any academic malfeasance going on at the esteemed University of Michigan with respect to its student-athletes. Don't you realize that this is the institution all other centers of higher learning strive to be like? I think you should retract your previous comment immediately, and apologize to all of us who look to the University of Michigan as the bastion of integrity that it rightfully is. I mean... come on... what other institution could produce the greatest football coach of all time, and then have him take his genius to the baseball diamond, where he can then rid the world of that notorious hack of a radio announcer, Ernie Harwell? Maybe the new owners of the Dodgers can hire Bo so he can rid us of Vin Scully. Too bad Jack Buck, Bob Elson, Jack Brickhouse, Don Drysdale, etc. moved on to announcing that great game in the sky before Bo could take them out.

Some day, I'll figure out how to use teal...

And... yes, I am an embittered alumnus of the U of I as well as a Sox fan.
On the subject of apologies, I have taken this thread far from where it was intended. Serioulsy, sorry about that.

PatK
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Not that she did this in this article, but that's the price people pay for living by the ballpark. I don't feel a bit sorry for her.

I've heard countless complaints like that from people who live around there, and my response is always the same...

"You did know there was a Major League ballpark in the neighborhood before you moved in, right?"

Just because you live by the ballpark, it doesn't mean it's acceptable for someone to break into your garage and park their car there.

And being someone that lives close to Wrigley, yes, I knew there was a ballpark there when I moved there. But they also were only allowed a certain number of night games, which is now increasing.

I don't mind the parking problems as much as there is a flood of unintelligent d-bags that treat the neighborhood like they are doing it a favor by going there.

Your ticket is for admission to a baseball game, not a license to act like a peon to anyone you come across.

Frank the Tank
06-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I was very annoyed by the way she was writing "2nd grader" sentences. The article didn't have any point, but I would consider it good pub. for the Sox.

p.s. Who orders Veggie Burgers and expects it to taste good?

Hangar18
06-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Lets not forget ......this bimbette cubbie fan was the first one aboard the "Lets-skip-to-October-when-Cubs-meet-Yankees" world series bandwagon. Remember how FULL that wagon got ..... in March!?
(and how everyone got OFF in June heh heh)

BridgePortNative
06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
What annoyed me the most was either her or some guy by her asking if the Ushers will wipe the sits dry for them.:angry: I worked there, my sister does and these ignorant people are the reason I decided to quit.

PaulDrake
06-17-2005, 01:24 PM
While the article itself is somewhat humorous, Carol Slezak is biased. Her yellow (or maybe I should call it "maize") journalism is legendary. Her dream job would be at the Detroit Free-Press or with whatever newspaper enlightens the city of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Little wet-butted, homely Carol, you see, is a grad of the Univ. of Michigan. No single columnist was more angst-ridden than Carol as the Illini made their march to the NCAA championship game. Apparently, in Carol's world, it is impossible for a B10 team to make it all the way to a championship game unless a gambler is paying all the players. I am sure Carol's efforts to uncover corruption within this past year's Illini basketball program would rival anything Woodward and Bernstein did. Sorry, Carol, but they actually accomplished it the right way. Of course, Carol can always fall back on Mike White's tenure in order to denigrate the UI. Note to Carol: That was 20 years ago. Not defending past Illini mistakes, but she needs to recognize that Michigan's "problems" were quite a bit more recent than Illinois'... and a hell of a lot more serious.

For the life of me, I don't know why the Sun-Times employs her, unless it is only because her writing usually upsets people like myself (a la Moronotti).

Who wants to be that one of her articles in the future expounds upon how the sun always shines and the veggie burgers are just wonderful at Comerica Park?

Now that that vitriole is out of my system, it's almost noon here. Time for a beer to calm down. In addition to that she is a wretched, awful and borrrrring writer who makes things worse by being full of herself.

MIgrenade
06-17-2005, 02:13 PM
I thought the same thing. It doesn't sound like she had a great time at either game - but gave the edge to the Sox because it wasn't as bad of an experience.

Pretty crappy excuse for a sports article if you ask me.

Thank you. I don't understand what I'm supposed to enjoy about this article. As far as I can tell she wants us to pity the tough life she has when she has to go to 2 baseball games in one day. The whole thing was pointless.

SpammySosa
06-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Reading the obituaries is better than reading Moronotti.:cool:

Fenway
06-18-2005, 03:36 PM
What annoyed me the most was either her or some guy by her asking if the Ushers will wipe the sits dry for them.:angry: I worked there, my sister does and these ignorant people are the reason I decided to quit.

If an usher doesn't wipe your seat at Fenway Park, they are FIRED ( of course tips are expected )

ChiSox14305635
06-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Little wet-butted

I don't know, but for some reason, that quote had me cracking up. :rolling:

Southsider101
06-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Nothing worse than reading a column from another self-rightous Ann Arbor
alum and Green Party vegetarian who has all the answers to your life. I'd like to know how many times she has actually paid for a ticket while working a for the Scum-Times. If I were her dog I'd poop on her floor too.

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Sleezebag is nothing short of a "fluff" writer...Said "fluff" writers have no business writing sports columns, as sports are NOT "fluff."

Her choppy lack of writing in complete sentences was worse than the kids writing at the high school I teach at!

Sleezebag knows absolutely NOTHING about sports and oughtta give the Sun-Times their money back for every single poorly-written (and poorly-educated) article she has written (which equals exactly ALL of them).

Cowhead418
06-18-2005, 05:27 PM
If I were her dog I'd poop on her floor too.
:rolling:

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 05:27 PM

I go to many AAA games in Norfolk and the ushers always show us to our seats and wipe it for us. I don't see the need for it unless it has been raining. If it has been raining then why would you not want them to wipe off the seat? They always carry a towel.

Maybe she'll see me on TV!

If you are sitting in obstructed seats that can just make out the pitcher and not even the catcher how on earth are you going to be on TV?

This is sports journalism?

DMarte708
06-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Two seasons ago, during the slumps of early 2003, Slezak wrote a column which completely ripped the team and basically asserted the White Sox werew showing absolutely no life. Now, they started poorly, but IIRC the article was published in MAY. The analysis used to prove her point was a collection of observations and poor stats. Slezak concluded the article with a rip suggesting the only joy in this town was watching Cub baseball.

Several months later she printed a retraction, sort of, claiming she was wrong without actually admitting it. More like the typical "This team completely surprised everyone" when attempting to avert criticism for writing a team off so early. Mariotti had taught her well: never to admit you were wrong--EVER.

BlackHat91
06-18-2005, 10:42 PM
A little OT, I like veggie burgers, but getting one at a ballpark is asking for crap on a bun. Suck it up and have a hot dog and a beer, for cripes sake.

row18
06-18-2005, 11:37 PM
A little OT, I like veggie burgers, but getting one at a ballpark is asking for crap on a bun. Suck it up and have a hot dog and a beer, for cripes sake.

I agree, when you think about it, most of the food at ball parks are slightly past being edible

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree, when you think about it, most of the food at ball parks are slightly past being edible

Maybe at the Dump but not at SOX Park.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Maybe at the Dump but not at SOX Park.

Some personal favorites at The Cell:

Steak sandwich
Corned beef sandwich
Steak burrito
Best's Kosher hot dog with grilled onions
Steak pita with peppers and onions
Italian sausage sandwich
Italian beef wet with marinara sauce
Connie's Pizza
Egg roll
Funnel cake
Churros

I used to go to Wrigley fairly frequently in my semi-misguided youth. The food there is crap.

chisoxmike
06-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Two seasons ago, during the slumps of early 2003, Slezak wrote a column which completely ripped the team and basically asserted the White Sox werew showing absolutely no life. Now, they started poorly, but IIRC the article was published in MAY. The analysis used to prove her point was a collection of observations and poor stats. Slezak concluded the article with a rip suggesting the only joy in this town was watching Cub baseball.

Several months later she printed a retraction, sort of, claiming she was wrong without actually admitting it. More like the typical "This team completely surprised everyone" when attempting to avert criticism for writing a team off so early. Mariotti had taught her well: never to admit you were wrong--EVER.

I remember that. The headline was "Ok I admit, I was wrong about the Sox." I laughed when I saw that, then, I cried when they tanked it several weeks later.
She also wrote that **** article previewing the Cubs - Yankees 2004 World Series in BEFORE spring training began! What a tool.

Cubbiesuck13
06-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Some personal favorites at The Cell:

Steak sandwich
Corned beef sandwich
Steak burrito
Best's Kosher hot dog with grilled onions
Steak pita with peppers and onions
Italian sausage sandwich
Italian beef wet with marinara sauce
Connie's Pizza
Egg roll
Funnel cake
Churros

I used to go to Wrigley fairly frequently in my semi-misguided youth. The food there is crap.

Thats just some of your favorites? :o:

iamkoza
06-19-2005, 02:17 AM
whats wrong with hating u of i??

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Thats just some of your favorites? :o:

That's why I weigh about 290.

Dan H
06-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Wrigley has some of the worst views you will ever see. The upperdeck is better than the lower deck if you in the last 15 rows. If the ball goes higher than 10 feet you can't see it.

This is so true. Wrigley is so overrated. For all it closeness to the field, it has some real bad seats. There are only two things more overrated than the field: its team and its fans.

tebman
06-19-2005, 10:31 AM
In reading this a question occurred to me: why does the Sun-Times sports section have low-rent columnists like Moronotti and Slezak? This is Chicago, for God's sake, not Gopher City, Kansas. It's not their opinions that bother me as much as the low quality of their writing. The Tribune is the Evil Empire, no doubt about it, but its sports columnists at least can compose an engaging and thoughtful essay more often than not.

A shame that a paper with a writer/editor as good as Neil Steinberg would have such crummy sports columnists. Are they really that scarce?

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 01:18 PM
In reading this a question occurred to me: why does the Sun-Times sports section have low-rent columnists like Moronotti and Slezak? This is Chicago, for God's sake, not Gopher City, Kansas. It's not their opinions that bother me as much as the low quality of their writing. The Tribune is the Evil Empire, no doubt about it, but its sports columnists at least can compose an engaging and thoughtful essay more often than not.

A shame that a paper with a writer/editor as good as Neil Steinberg would have such crummy sports columnists. Are they really that scarce?

All the good writers must go into something legitimate.

The Critic
06-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Clicked link, read article.
Was thinking go to college, learn journalism.
Thought not write good enough get job at major-market paper.
Thinking maybe try it again, since read this article.
Not like full sentences, maybe not need to write them for career.

....yikes....

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Clicked link, read article.
Was thinking go to college, learn journalism.
Thought not write good enough get job at major-market paper.
Thinking maybe try it again, since read this article.
Not like full sentences, maybe not need to write them for career.

....yikes....

On, c'mon now! She was writing it in the style of a diary or journal entry. Sheesh! If you're going to criticize, at least make it on content.

Palehose13
06-19-2005, 03:45 PM
On, c'mon now! She was writing it in the style of a diary or journal entry. Sheesh! If you're going to criticize, at least make it on content.

Agreed. I wasn't blown away by the article, but I had an idea what she was doing with the writing. I kinda liked the style...a little "stream of consciousness" going on there.

Maybe she'll see me on TV!

If you are sitting in obstructed seats that can just make out the pitcher and not even the catcher how on earth are you going to be on TV?

This is sports journalism?

I think she would have written that statement in teal if she could have. :wink:

The Critic
06-19-2005, 04:13 PM

I knew what she was going for.
I also thought that what she was going for was kinda stupid and minor-league.

Hitmen77
06-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I don't get it, she states all the following below (thanks for the list, Iwritecode) and just about everyone on this thread rips on her??? I guess it's true that Sox fans are never satisfied.

Would everyone here rather have the same usual worshiping of Wrigley that we see in just about every other article ever written?

Let's at least give kudos to Carol for pointing out that the Emperor wears no clothes. No one in the press EVER tells the truth about Wrigley and here we have 2 articles (Slezak's and Morrisey's) about it on the same day. All I have to say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

Wrigley
Parking sucks.
Sightlines suck.
Food sucks
Fans (and reporters it seems) spend more time on cell phones than actually watching game.
Fans canít tell the difference between a pop fly and a homerun.
Fans have no idea who the players are since they donít have names on the backs of their jerseys.
Ron Santo is an idiot
The bathrooms are horrible.
Fans will cheer for anything, even when they are down by 10+ runs.

US Cellular
Plenty of police presence around the dangerous area surronding the park.
Great sightlines.
Wide aisles.
Clean bathrooms.
Good scoreboard.
Fireworks are good.
Fans appriciate good performance from players. Especially future hall-of-famers.
Fans pay more attention to game than cell phones.
Only need Nancy to get through the 7th innning stretch.
Fans actually stay through the 9th inning.