PDA

View Full Version : SOX to be heard in 38 States ??

Hangar18
06-17-2005, 10:57 AM
I havnt posted in a while, but thought Id throw this out there.
Im hearing media propoganda now that the SOX will be heard in 38 states
now that they'll be on the Score 670 next year. I dont know about you,
but ive driven into deep Wisconsin, Michigan and dont hear am 670 anymore.
Is this all hype about the signal strength? I know you can still get
am1000 in Kzoo Michigan

HAR-OLD
06-17-2005, 11:15 AM
i know at night the signal is a lot stronger for some reason

i can say from experience that i have listened to the score loud and clear in georgia, south of atlanta on my way to florida

irish rover
06-17-2005, 11:16 AM
I've heard the score in montana at night

Huisj
06-17-2005, 01:37 PM
I can get 670 good here in GR and in Lansing where I grew up all day. AM 1000 only comes in decent here at night. I've been way up in Northern Michigan before and have picked up 670 ok.

MUScholar21
06-17-2005, 01:43 PM
It also has something to do with FCC regulations on directional signaling. That is why when you get west and south after 7p, you can't get ESPN1000. For whatever reason, I don't think that applies to WSCR.

JRIG
06-17-2005, 02:11 PM
It also has something to do with FCC regulations on directional signaling. That is why when you get west and south after 7p, you can't get ESPN1000. For whatever reason, I don't think that applies to WSCR.

Correct. 670 is 50,000 watts and clear channel. 1000 is also 50,000 watts, but after sunset it transmits its signal mainly to the east to protect KOMO (I think) which is AM 1000 is Seattle. That's why west of Aurora, it's very tough to pick up 1000 after sunset.

elrod
06-17-2005, 02:19 PM
I've heard AM1000 in Alabama at night.

elrod
06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Is there any concern about 660, WFAN, out of New York? I believe that's a huge watt station too.

Fenway
06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Is there any concern about 660, WFAN, out of New York? I believe that's a huge watt station too.

With a good enough tuner you can filter out WFAN unless you are 10 miles from City Island in The Bronx where the 660 xmtr is.

The only place on the east coast where 670 will have real problems is South Florida where there is a fulltime signal on 670 in spanish.

In New England 670 has problems with a station in Newfoundland.

southsidesoxfan1
06-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Coverage map for 670 (http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WSCR&service=AM&status=L&hours=U)

Coverage map for am1000
daytime (http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WMVP&service=AM&status=L&hours=D) nighttime (http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WMVP&service=AM&status=L&hours=N)

No question the Score reaches a lot more radios.:bandance:

yoester
06-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Now that you mention it, I drive in the morning and go under a viaduct and no signal, then at night, the same viaduct, I hear it much better.

Jurr
06-17-2005, 06:44 PM
What I find funny is that in Memphis, TN, a solid 600 miles away from Chicago, I get 1000 at night (on clear nights, that is.)

I still haven't heard the Score at all in my car.

Southsider101
06-17-2005, 06:57 PM
I live in Minneapolis and I get WSCR fine at night. Can't get AM1000 at all due to local station interference.

delben91
06-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to see if I can't pick it up here on the Jersey coastline. That would rock...hardcore.

Jurr
06-17-2005, 07:13 PM
I live in Minneapolis and I get WSCR fine at night. Can't get AM1000 at all due to local station interference.
Yeah..I get a little of that local interference on 1000 at night. You'll be driving, and you'll hear the game interspersed with Mariachi music.

Everett with a drive *static* de mi corazon *static* 2-0 Sox!

tebman
06-17-2005, 11:47 PM
I havnt posted in a while, but thought Id throw this out there.
Im hearing media propoganda now that the SOX will be heard in 38 states
now that they'll be on the Score 670 next year. I dont know about you,
but ive driven into deep Wisconsin, Michigan and dont hear am 670 anymore.
Is this all hype about the signal strength? I know you can still get
am1000 in Kzoo Michigan
The short answer is yes. At night, that is. At night the ionosphere (the magnetized layer of the atmosphere miles above the earth) becomes reflective to signals in the AM band (540 - 1700 kHz). If a potent signal (50,000 Watts) is sent out at night with minimal interference (a clear channel), it really can be picked up in several dozen states. Obviously it depends on the weather and other atmospheric conditions, but it works.

When those stations were set up in the 1920s, the idea was that the big-city stations would cover vast areas at night so that people out in the rural areas would get the same broadcast service the city folks got. Clearly a lot has changed since the 1920s, but the big "clear channel" stations like WSCR (formerly WMAQ), WGN, WBBM, and WLS still can be reliably picked up in Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alabama, North Dakota, and most of the states in between.

As always, your mileage may vary, but at night you should be able to pick up WSCR for at least 800 miles in all directions.

Marconi would be proud.

Viva Medias B's
06-18-2005, 12:05 AM
With a good enough tuner you can filter out WFAN unless you are 10 miles from City Island in The Bronx where the 660 xmtr is.

The only place on the east coast where 670 will have real problems is South Florida where there is a fulltime signal on 670 in spanish.

In New England 670 has problems with a station in Newfoundland.

When travelling through Southern Georgia/Northern Florida en route to South Florida before the crack of dawn one time, WMAQ came in quite clearly.

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2005, 01:52 AM
During the daytime, there are several layers to the ionosphere, and lower frequencies (such as AM broadcast frequencies) get absorbed in those layers, and the stations can only be heard via "ground wave." At night, without the sun acting on them, several of the layers combine, and instead of absorbing the radio waves, they bend them back toward earth, allowing the signals to be heard at much greater distances.

It is possible to be in "shadow" areas, where you are too far away for ground wave propagation, but too close for "sky wave" propagation. As a result, people closer and farther away can hear the AM station, but you cannot. I hear WSCR pretty well at night, but it's not reliable. It tends to fade in and out. I'll stick with XM even after they make the change.

BarbG
06-18-2005, 03:00 AM
This is interesting. I've wondered how radio coverage works.

We heard the end of the game Wednesday on AM1000 quite clearly while driving around in Cincinnati.