PDA

View Full Version : Joe Morgan on Media Bias

Spicoli
06-17-2005, 09:45 AM
From ESPN CHAT:

John (Cincy): Joe, Many of my friends and others have been very critical of late concerning the media coverage of baseball. They have taken to saying there is one team in baseball, the Red Cubs, because those two media darling franchises get 80% of the press. Why has baseball become only a few teams with a bunch of others in the background.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Joe Morgan: (10:40 AM ET ) Well, unfortunately, it has always been that way. As long as I've worked in broadcasting, which has been 20 years now, it was always the Yankees, the Cubs, the Dodgers, the Red Sox. It's always been those high profile teams that they broadcast and cover. There are more writers in those towns than anywhere, that plays into it. There are more writers in New York, and Boston, and Chicago, and Atlanta and L.A. It has always been that way, but I guess it may be more noticable now.

Funny thing is, I asked the question (under pseudonymn with fake location because he is biased towards Cincy) and it finished about how the White Sox don't receive any press. He edited that part out. If he hadn't, his big city theory would be void! What a farce!

samram
06-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't think the Dodgers should be included in that group? I really don't think any west coast baseball team does. The only west coast teams that get more than their fair share of coverage are the Lakers, Raiders and 49ers.

cheeses_h_rice
06-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Joe Morgan is smoking something if he thinks that 20 years ago the elite covered teams included the Flubs. In 1984, maybe, but not the other years they sucked. Nice revisionist history. IMO, the Flubs became some sort of big shot national team in the '90s thanks to the introduction of a lot of new ballparks, Sham-ME*'s zingerfests, and Harry Caray becoming 'legendary'.

Uncle_Patrick
06-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't think the Dodgers should be included in that group? I really don't think any west coast baseball team does. The only west coast teams that get more than their fair share of coverage are the Lakers, Raiders and 49ers.

I was surprised to see the Dodgers listed, as well.

Hangar18
06-17-2005, 10:13 AM
From ESPN CHAT:

Funny thing is, I asked the question (under pseudonymn with fake location because he is biased towards Cincy) and it finished about how the White Sox don't receive any press. He edited that part out. If he hadn't, his big city theory would be void! What a farce!

Excellent Job Spicoli. You are the James Bond of chatrooms. Your right,
he totally dropped the ball ....... because the SOX indeed play in the city limits
of Chicago Illinois!

daveeym
06-17-2005, 11:20 AM
I think that's about as honest and accurate an answer as you're gonna get. The dodgers for most of the last century did fit into his answer, as both the brooklyn dodgers and tommy laswordfish dodgers of the 80's. He's right about chicago and as we know the bias went to the Cubs with a certain papers purchase of the team and superstation behind them.

Jerko
06-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I guess the Mets moved out of New York too.