PDA

View Full Version : 20/20 Hindsight: 2001 Draft

Tekijawa
06-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I got to thinking about this last night (Borring off day, and "hit me baby one more time" just wasn't doing it for me on television) Who would you take looking back on the 2001 Draft if you were the Twins... Mauer or Prior?

fquaye149
06-17-2005, 10:34 AM
I got to thinking about this last night (Borring off day, and "hit me baby one more time" just wasn't doing it for me on television) Who would you take looking back on the 2001 Draft if you were the Twins... Mauer or Prior?

wasn't there anyone healthy in that draft?

samram
06-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, the problem was it wasn't much of a choice for the Twins, due to financial constraints. Based purely on what they've done so far, I would have taken Prior.

SoxFanTillDeath
06-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Putting my anti-cub bias aside, I would still take Joe Mauer. Catchers of his caliber are so rare. I know it is very hard to find top of the line starters, but how many "top of the line" cathers are in the majors? I-Rod & Piazza are great, but they are getting old. Mauer, once healthy, will be the best catcher in the game. That's a position that the Twins will not have to address for years to come.

As amazing as Mark Prior is, Mauer is the better pick. The Twins were smart. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the 3-10 picks in that draft (the ones who have had playing time)?

samram
06-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Putting my anti-cub bias aside, I would still take Joe Mauer. Catchers of his caliber are so rare. I know it is very hard to find top of the line starters, but how many "top of the line" cathers are in the majors? I-Rod & Piazza are great, but they are getting old. Mauer, once healthy, will be the best catcher in the game. That's a position that the Twins will not have to address for years to come.

As amazing as Mark Prior is, Mauer is the better pick. The Twins were smart. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the 3-10 picks in that draft (the ones who have had playing time)?

1. Twins Joe Mauer C Cretin-Derham Hall HS, St. Paul 2. Cubs Mark Prior RHP U. of Southern California 3. Devil Rays Dewon Brazelton RHP Middle Tennessee State U 4. Phillies Gavin Floyd RHP Mt. St. Joseph HS, Baltimore 5. Rangers Mark Teixeira 3B Georgia Tech 6. Expos Josh Karp RHP UCLA 7. Orioles Chris Smith LHP Cumberland (Tenn.) U 8. Pirates John VanBenschoten 1B-OF Kent State U 9. Royals Colt Griffin RHP Marshall (Texas) HS 10. Astros Chris Burke SS U. of Tennessee

SoxFanTillDeath
06-17-2005, 12:21 PM
1. Twins Joe Mauer C Cretin-Derham Hall HS, St. Paul 2. Cubs Mark Prior RHP U. of Southern California 3. Devil Rays Dewon Brazelton RHP Middle Tennessee State U 4. Phillies Gavin Floyd RHP Mt. St. Joseph HS, Baltimore 5. Rangers Mark Teixeira 3B Georgia Tech 6. Expos Josh Karp RHP UCLA 7. Orioles Chris Smith LHP Cumberland (Tenn.) U 8. Pirates John VanBenschoten 1B-OF Kent State U 9. Royals Colt Griffin RHP Marshall (Texas) HS 10. Astros Chris Burke SS U. of Tennessee

Thanks Samram. I'd take Teixeira over Prior and Mauer any day of the week. I was reading something, I think on ESPN.com, that showed his numbers for the last calendar year, and he had 40-50 HRs, and approx. 130 runs & RBIs. (Sorry, I don't remember it exactly). The guy's an S...T...U...D. At the pace that he's going I'd find it tough to pick anyone from that draft over him.

thepaulbowski
06-17-2005, 01:00 PM

It would be a toss up between Teixeira and Prior.

ShoelessJoeS
06-17-2005, 01:20 PM
screw both those guys, id take teixeira anyday over a lot of people, especially over injury prone mauer and cryor

34 Inch Stick
06-17-2005, 01:45 PM
You always take the ace pitcher. I don't see how this is even a debate.

doublem23
06-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Anybody who wouldn't take Prior (barring financial contraints) is either biased, or doesn't remember 2001. At USC, Mark Prior was the best college pitcher. Ever. The only thing you can question is how he has been groomed in the MLB by genius Dusty Baker, but he was by far the best talent of that draft.

2nd would be Teixeira. I think people overvalue catchers 'round here because they overvalue their offense. You can find solid catchers for bargain basement prices, because nobody gets on SportsCenter for working well with the pitching staff or calling a great game. Some of the higher paid catchers in the game are also some of the worst (Piazza, Lopez, etc.), but they will hit the ball far. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
06-17-2005, 05:12 PM
You always take the ace pitcher. I don't see how this is even a debate.
Agreed. You ALWAYS take pitching over anything else if a potential stud is available. While a good catcher can win a bunch for you, there's nothing like a guy in your rotation who can stop dead in its tracks a losing streak of three games. Also, I think it is easier to spot an 18 year old Nolan Ryan than an 18 year old Johnny Bench, JMO.

Hangar18
06-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I wouldve chose The Messiah 1st. He was the best pitcher in the draft, and by all media accounts, one of the "Best" college pitchers ever to be drafted.
If Bud Selig hadnt stuck his greasy mitts in the process, and the Twinks drafted Prior instead...... they wouldve gone to the WS in 2001. They were a pitcher short. The Flubs.....with Joe Mauer wouldve also been equally better.
How stupid can you be to pass A Messiah like that up? Foolish Twin$

I thought about this very scenario very recently, and in a strange way, Im glad the things BACKFIRED for the Twins, Cubs, and Selig like they did. BOTH players have been injured often. Heck, the moment The Messiah let that uniform touch his skin, he was doomed. And by the way, much like the march to the playoffs in 95 by the Mariners guaranteed them a stadium, So would have gone the financing for a new ballpark for the Twinks. and next year, they'd be opening their new ballpark in downtown Minneapolis.

Alas, they thought they could cut corners and take the cheaper Mauer, knowing they would be CONTRACTED that year anyway, thanks to an inside "tip" from the Commissioner. Funny how the baseball gods work aint it?
They are wise and just heh heh.

Daver
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
I wouldve chose The Messiah 1st. He was the best pitcher in the draft, and by all media accounts, one of the "Best" college pitchers ever to be drafted.
If Bud Selig hadnt stuck his greasy mitts in the process, and the Twinks drafted
Prior instead...... they wouldve gone to the WS in 2001. They were a pitcher short. The Flubs.....with Joe Mauer wouldve also been equally better.

I thought about this very scenario very recently, and in a strange way, Im glad the things BACKFIRED for the Twins, Cubs, and Selig like they did. BOTH players have been injured often. And by the way, much like the march to the playoffs in 95 by the Mariners guaranteed them a stadium, So would have gone the financing for a new ballpark for the Twinks. and next year, they'd be opening their new ballpark in downtown Minneapolis.

Alas, they thought they could cut corners and take the cheaper Mauer, knowing they would be CONTRACTED that year anyway, thanks to an inside "tip" from the Commissioner. Funny how the baseball gods work huh?

You're wearing an extra layer of tinfoil today aren't you?

Hangar18
06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
You're wearing an extra layer of tinfoil today aren't you?

Actually, the more I think about it, If the Twins take The Messiah, the Cubs actually wouldve taken Texeira ....... Can you imagine if the flubs had Texeira?

fquaye149
06-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, If the Twins take The Messiah, the Cubs actually wouldve taken Texeira ....... Can you imagine if the flubs had Texeira?

are you honestly more worried about the Cubs taking Texeira than the Twins?

I didn't think you were that much of a homefish, hangar

Daver
06-20-2005, 07:31 PM

There is exactly one reason the Twins did not take Prior.

They had no intention of signing him to a major league contract, as the Cubs did.

PicktoCLick72
06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Isn't everyone forgetting Dewon Brazelton?

Palehose13
06-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Since the decision is to be made in hindsight, I would go with Mark Teixeira. Without hindsight, I would have taken Prior.

doublem23
06-21-2005, 01:56 AM

He'd suck.

doublem23
06-21-2005, 02:02 AM
This is a bit off-topic, but since we're talking about hindsight and drafts, since I am now reading Moneyball, I must say I did have a chuckle when in the first few pages, Lewis talks about Billy Beane FREAKING out because his scouts wanted to draft Jeremy Bonderman ahead of future stars Kirk Saarloos and Kevin Youkilis.

:rolleyes:

This book is going to be riot, I can tell.

The Dude
06-21-2005, 07:49 AM
screw both those guys, id take teixeira anyday over a lot of people, especially over injury prone mauer and cryor

Teixeira is much more valuable because he plays multiple positions and is a HEALTHY ballplayer unlike those two. But if its between Prior and Mauer.....you have to go with Prior. When both are on, Prior is more valuable for his team.

Unregistered
06-21-2005, 11:16 AM
He'd suck.
Yep. He'd manage to have a Corey Patterson-esque career in a Cubs uniform. That's just the way the world works. :cool:

maurice
06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Lewis talks about Billy Beane FREAKING out because his scouts wanted to draft Jeremy Bonderman ahead of future stars Kirk Saarloos and Kevin Youkilis.

The book reads like it should have been printed in teal when you read it with the benefit of hindsight. So much for BB's revolutionary, genius system of drafting players. As those worthless scouts predicted, the A's blow without the Big 3.

TaylorStSox
06-21-2005, 02:48 PM
If Bud Selig hadnt stuck his greasy mitts in the process, and the Twinks drafted Prior instead...... they wouldve gone to the WS in 2001. They were a pitcher short. The Flubs.....with Joe Mauer wouldve also been equally better.
How stupid can you be to pass A Messiah like that up? Foolish Twin$

I thought about this very scenario very recently, and in a strange way, Im glad the things BACKFIRED for the Twins, Cubs, and Selig like they did. BOTH players have been injured often. Heck, the moment The Messiah let that uniform touch his skin, he was doomed. And by the way, much like the march to the playoffs in 95 by the Mariners guaranteed them a stadium, So would have gone the financing for a new ballpark for the Twinks. and next year, they'd be opening their new ballpark in downtown Minneapolis.

Alas, they thought they could cut corners and take the cheaper Mauer, knowing they would be CONTRACTED that year anyway, thanks to an inside "tip" from the Commissioner. Funny how the baseball gods work aint it?
They are wise and just heh heh.

I've heard you comment about this for the last couple of years. You have absolutely no idea of what really happened.

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2005, 03:21 PM
You always take the ace pitcher. I don't see how this is even a debate.IF the ace pitcher is going to be healthy. Of course, Mauer hasn't been any better. But in a choice between a healthy Texiera and Prior spending half the season on the DL every year, it's not a debate, all right. Texiera hands down.

Get FONC
06-23-2005, 08:40 PM
IF the ace pitcher is going to be healthy. Of course, Mauer hasn't been any better. But in a choice between a healthy Texiera and Prior spending half the season on the DL every year, it's not a debate, all right. Texiera hands down.

You must be getting Prior confused with Wood. Prior hadn't had a history of injuries when he was drafted and he has also suffered from a couple of freak accidents (line drive). However it has been proven time and time again that taking a starting pitcher is a much greater risk than taking a position player like taking a quarterback in the first round in the NFL draft.

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 11:53 PM
You must be getting Prior confused with Wood. Prior hadn't had a history of injuries when he was drafted and he has also suffered from a couple of freak accidents (line drive). However it has been proven time and time again that taking a starting pitcher is a much greater risk than taking a position player like taking a quarterback in the first round in the NFL draft.I think I can tell the difference between Prior and Wood. Prior didn't have a history of injuries when he was drafted, but he's had achilles' tendon and elbow problems each of the last two years.

buehrle4cy05
06-24-2005, 03:19 PM
I would take neither, and go with Mark Teixeira.