PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle gets sucked in

hose
06-17-2005, 07:26 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep17.html

Mark Buehrle made the accusation that a Cub pitcher uses a spitter on the Score yesterday after prodding from Jessie Rogers.

As much as I would like to see any Cub cheater get caught in the act like Sammy did a Sox player going on radio and mentioning this is just plain dumb.

Expect plenty of retribution.

white sox bill
06-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Yea I thought the same when I heard him. This may open a can of worms. But keep in mind that Buehrle probably has a distint dislikening of the scrubs himself--he grew up a Cards fan

1951Campbell
06-17-2005, 08:15 AM
C'mon Mark, be smart, zip it!

chaerulez
06-17-2005, 08:22 AM
How is it dumb? He didn't name anyone, he asked to and just mentioned it was someone on the Cubs. He was also asked starter or reliever and he wouldn't reveal that either. It's not like he's revealing something that's a huge secret in baseball, especially after the Donelley incident.

downstairs
06-17-2005, 08:41 AM

Only if he's wrong!

If one of them is using a spitter, now this may be in the back of an ump's mind...

BaseballTonyght
06-17-2005, 08:44 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said either. The truth is the truth. If he had named names, then he would be in the wrong.

I'm guessing he's referring to Maddux?

seanpmurphy
06-17-2005, 08:54 AM
I agree. There's nothing wrong with what he said, but this is going to be blown out of proportion by a few jackasses in the media and it'll look like more Sox bashing of the poor, vulnerable, defenseless cubbies, boo hoo hoo. Just one more thing people need to slap a "We Don't Care" sticker on and throw it in the trash.

irish rover
06-17-2005, 09:48 AM
buerhle made it seem like it could be Maddox, since he said it was someone with a long history

cheeses_h_rice
06-17-2005, 10:16 AM
He said it was someone with about 2' of ball movement, so I assumed it was Carrie Woods.

[edit: Silvy & Carmen say it's Maddux. My bad. :redface:]

Uncle_Patrick
06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
I guess, based on other responses, that I'm in the minority here, but I don't think that this was the smartest thing for Buerhle to say for 2 reasons. One, for all you guys thinking that Mark told "the truth", he didn't. He's not necessarily lying, either. He's "speculating". In his own words, he does not know "personally" that this player cheats. Had Greg Maddox gone on the radio and said that he thinks that there's pitcher on the south side that "may very well be using something" based on past experience, there would be a 10 page thread here on how this guy was a liar and casting doubt because he was "jealous" or whatever. I know that Cub-hatred blinds some people here, but lets not start abondoning all reason.

Secondly, it WILL be blown out of proportion, and the fact that Buerhle is not only a White Sox player, but was also raised a Cardinals fan and well-known Cubs hater will only reflect poorly on him. Cubs fans are already crying about it, as expected. As Buerhle has no factual basis for his claim, how soon do you think this will become "another example of White Sox jealousy" to the media?

This helps the White Sox in no way.

FarWestChicago
06-17-2005, 11:04 AM
I guess, based on other responses, that I'm in the minority here, but I don't think that this was the smartest thing for Buerhle to say for 2 reasons. One, for all you guys thinking that Mark told "the truth", he didn't. He's not necessarily lying, either. He's "speculating". In his own words, he does not know "personally" that this player cheats. Had Greg Maddox gone on the radio and said that he thinks that there's pitcher on the south side that "may very well be using something" based on past experience, there would be a 10 page thread here on how this guy was a liar and casting doubt because he was "jealous" or whatever. I know that Cub-hatred blinds some people here, but lets not start abondoning all reason.

Secondly, it WILL be blown out of proportion, and the fact that Buerhle is not only a White Sox player, but was also raised a Cardinals fan and well-known Cubs hater will only reflect poorly on him. Cubs fans are already crying about it, as expected. As Buerhle has no factual basis for his claim, how soon do you think this will become "another example of White Sox jealousy" to the media?

This helps the White Sox in no way.:nandrolone

And everybody knows the Cubs would never allow anybody on their team to cheat, much less actively endorse and exploit the cheater!!

SOXSINCE'70
06-17-2005, 11:37 AM

:hawk
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Uncle_Patrick
06-17-2005, 11:47 AM
:nandrolone

And everybody knows the Cubs would never allow anybody on their team to cheat, much less actively endorse and exploit the cheater!!

Well, that's a different subject. The issue isn't really whether someone is cheating or how the Cubs would handle it, its that Mark Buerhle is making claims based on a feeling, not any proof. Buerhle is not commenting on speculation that a Cubs pitcher is cheating, he's creating the speculation. Since his speculation, by his own admittance, is not based on any actual proof, I hardly think its something we should be applauding or touting as "the truth".

Irishsox1
06-17-2005, 11:52 AM
I love what Buehrle said. Anyways, its just psychological stuff. Look what the Orioles did to the Sox...having the ups check the height of the mound...its the same thing.....Head games.

kittle42
06-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Maddux better cheat - anyone see him pitch Wednesday?

FarWestChicago
06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, that's a different subject. The issue isn't really whether someone is cheating or how the Cubs would handle it, its that Mark Buerhle is making claims based on a feeling, not any proof. Buerhle is not commenting on speculation that a Cubs pitcher is cheating, he's creating the speculation. Since his speculation, by his own admittance, is not based on any actual proof, I hardly think its something we should be applauding or touting as "the truth".Damn, Dude. It was a Sham-ME joke. Nothing more, nothing less. :?:

Uncle_Patrick
06-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Damn, Dude. It was a Sham-ME joke. Nothing more, nothing less. :?:

I know that you were joking. I wasn't criticizing you, so I hope it wasn't taken that way. My response was for the people who would read it and think, "Wait a minute...Buerhle said that there's a cheater on the Cubs...Sosa cheated...the Cubs ARE cheaters!!!!...Buerhle's exposed the truth but the media will cover this up, too!!!!" and turn this into a 5 page thread about the Cubs cheating and conspiracies and so forth. I know how Cubbie hatred can transform otherwise rational Sox fans into conspiracy theorists.

FarWestChicago
06-17-2005, 12:41 PM
I know that you were joking. I wasn't criticizing you, so I hope it wasn't taken that way. My response was for the people who would read it and think, "Wait a minute...Buerhle said that there's a cheater on the Cubs...Sosa cheated...the Cubs ARE cheaters!!!!...Buerhle's exposed the truth but the media will cover this up, too!!!!" and turn this into a 5 page thread about the Cubs cheating and conspiracies and so forth. I know how Cubbie hatred can transform otherwise rational Sox fans into conspiracy theorists.LOL, I confess, I did realize it could get the tin foilers going. :D:

ShoelessJoeS
06-17-2005, 01:16 PM
:rolling: ZING!

JoseCanseco6969
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Hey I got a great idea....Lets start an all out Mark Buehrle bashing thread for a non favorable comment similiar to the PK one. Frater, you're good at this...lets get 'er started!!!!!!!!

Lip Man 1
06-17-2005, 01:40 PM
As the Cubs front office said trying to defend Sosa after the corked bat affair (and I'm paraphrasing...) 'baseball has a history of deception...'

I don't have an issue with Mark in this case...ya never know. An umpire may hear that remark in the next two weeks and file it away for future use. (Like perhaps next weekend?)

Lip

White Sox Josh
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Bruce Levine was defending Buehrle saying that a lot of people suspected Maddux of throwing a spitter.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-17-2005, 02:15 PM
It's Maddux. Just watch him pitch. The guy goes to his mouth more than anyone else in the game. Yes he does it off the mound, SOMETIMES, even then, if you watch him closely, you'll pick up how he pretends to wipe it off or sometimes he doesn't even wipe it off at all. The guy needs all the help he can get. He's old and boring. Does anyone else just fringe when you see this guy on the mound with his old-man pants? He just doesn't even look like a pitcher no more. His expressions after he gets yanked make you wonder if he even has the passion anymore. He has 2 pitches, a change-up and a 2-seamer (that moves quite a lot and now we know why).

Now onto Buehrle. He's said a few things that others have questioned him about. It's no big deal. A lot of people will laugh and say, "Buehrle is just trying to hype up the Cubs/Sox series, no big deal". It's Buehrle. Now if Carl Everett or A.J. Pierzynski said this, there would be more negativity.

UofCSoxFan
06-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Buehrle also said earlier in the year that the one team he'd want to play for less than the Twins is the Cubs :smile:

Ventura Fan 23
06-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have any articles I can link to as evidence, but Mark Buehrle was saying that someone on the Cubs pitching staff could be cheating. He said something like this:
"When guys lick their fingers and act like they're wiping it on their pants, they're really not."

I'll post a link as soon as I can find one

mweflen
06-17-2005, 04:53 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep17.html

this is likely "What's the Score" type material.

Ventura Fan 23
06-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Ah, ok. Thanks for the link.

Corlose 15
06-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Media explosion against Buehrle in 3...2...1...

Rocky Soprano
06-17-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52228

buehrle4cy05
06-17-2005, 04:59 PM
My guess- Zambrano. I see him licking his fingers all the time, and his fastball moves way too much for it to be 95 mph.

RallyBowl
06-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Hey I got a great idea....Lets start an all out Mark Buehrle bashing thread for a non favorable comment similiar to the PK one. Frater, you're good at this...lets get 'er started!!!!!!!!Similar in what way?:?:

shoota
06-17-2005, 10:38 PM
I love what Buehrle said. Anyways, its just psychological stuff. Look what the Orioles did to the Sox...having the ups check the height of the mound...its the same thing.....Head games.

I think it is head games, and possibly the truth. If Maddux is cheating with spitters, since everyone is now watching for it, he won't do it in his next few starts. And who is Maddux pitching against next week? Buehrle's team, the MLB-best White Sox. So if Maddux is throwing a spitter, Buehrle's preventing him from using it against Sox hitters next week, allowing them a better chance at scoring off of Maddux.

Good for Buehrle for giving his team a better chance at winning.

Evman5
06-17-2005, 11:10 PM
During a casual interview that didn't totally center on baseball, Buehrle inferred that one of the current Cubs pitchers cheated by possibly using an illegal substance. He talked about guys licking their finger, a legal move, but then not really wiping it on their pants when they act as they do.

When asked to name a player or two in question, Buehrle chose to take a very vague route to the subject.

"I can't get myself in trouble because he's on the North Side," Buehrle said during the interview. "I don't know personally, but I'm just saying from years of experience that he's had success that he very well may be using something."

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050617&content_id=1093601&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Who do you think he is talking about? Zambrano?

Buehrle_Man56
06-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Already posted, my friend.:smile:

DaleJRFan
06-17-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said either. The truth is the truth. If he had named names, then he would be in the wrong.

Maddux goes to his mouth a lot. So do a lot of pitchers. Who cares? More stupid crap to distract fans and the media from the Sox 44-22 record.

Really, who cares??? Didn't MB state last season that the Twins would go down in the first round which really irked a lot of people and the Twins??? Twins went down in the first round as I recall, then it was forgotten.

More fodder for the media to talk about instead of the superior baseball product on the south side. Jessie Rogers is a toolbag anyway.

Can't want for MB to throw in game 3 of the Sox/Cubs series and watch Dusty protest or to make the ump inspect MB. Just stupid...

Hip Hip Hooray... for the media!

Evman5
06-17-2005, 11:15 PM
My bad....I couldn't find the thread anywhere, but now I see it.

Feel free to delete this then.

hose
06-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Buehrle is getting drilled by Ofman and Levine after the game trying to get him to name the Cub pitcher.

Instead of talking about a great pitched game Levine and Ofman are trying to get Burls to take the bait and Mark is getting very defensive.

Ozzie was asked during his presser after the game about Buehrle comments about a Cub pitcher throwing a spitter.

The media isn't going to let this go.

shoota
06-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Some ******* anchor on Comcast named Josh Mora just rebutted Buehrle's comment of "It's not a big deal," on the topic of a Cub pitcher throwing an illegal spitter by saying "It is a big deal. Because Buehrle didn't name a specific Cub pitcher, he's just like Jose Canseco for not naming specific cheaters."

Quotes above are paraphrased and not exact quotes.

edit: And stupid dog Gail Fisher made light of a cheating Cub pitcher with some dumb comment asking if it's ok to finger the papers on her desk. hahah, you're a dumb *****. Why don't you go interview Corey Patterson's little brother again?

And honey, feel free to mix up the wardrobe a little bit. The man suit with blouse combo is getting to look older than your catcher's mitt face.

shoota
06-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Buehrle is getting drilled by Ofman and Levine after the game trying to get him to name the Cub pitcher.

Instead of talking about a great pitched game Levine and Ofman are trying to get Burls to take the bait and Mark is getting very defensive.

Ozzie was asked during his presser after the game about Buehrle comments about a Cub pitcher throwing a spitter.

The media isn't going to let this go.

I saw this. Buehrle OWNED them with his responses though. Good catch on spotting Ofman's voice. I only know Levine's. Shame on Levine and Ofman.

Buehrle said it wasn't his opinion that he believed a Cub pitcher was throwing an illegal spitter, but that that is the belief around baseball. Levine tried to get Buehrle to come out and say Maddux directly, but Buehrle was too smart. Buehrle reminded Levine of his original quote of a Cub pitcher "with years of success," doesn't only include Maddux. Buehrle said Zambrano has had 3-4 years, Wood and Prior have years of experience too.
Good for Buehrle.

JoseCanseco6969
06-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Similar in what way?:?:

foot in mouth comments

dijfa29
06-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Hey guys, Cards fan here. What do you guys think are the chances of Buehrle resigning with you guys? I know he was brought up as a huge Cards fan and still seems to be. He was on a the radio in Stl this offseason and said how it's always been a dream of his to pitch for the Cards. A lot of my fellow Card fans seem to be banking on him coming here whenever he becomes a FA (after next season I believe). I would personally love to seem him pitch for us.

Good luck to you guys this year...maybe we'll see eachother in the WS :D:.

TDog
06-18-2005, 01:31 AM
Hey guys, Cards fan here. What do you guys think are the chances of Buehrle resigning with you guys? I know he was brought up as a huge Cards fan and still seems to be. He was on a the radio in Stl this offseason and said how it's always been a dream of his to pitch for the Cards. A lot of my fellow Card fans seem to be banking on him coming here whenever he becomes a FA (after next season I believe). I would personally love to seem him pitch for us.

And Mulder grew up a big White Sox fan. So what? Don't be bringing crap like that to this table and putting a smiley face at the end.

South Side
06-18-2005, 01:38 AM
What about Maddux? "It wasn't me," Maddux said. "Who's Mark Buehrle?"

Ohhh you want to be like that Gregy? Mark Buehrle is this pitcher who's doing a hell of a lot better than you. :rolleyes:

DickAllen72
06-18-2005, 01:46 AM

What do you mean maybe??? :?:

See you in the WS!

BTW, Welcome to WSI! :smile:

gobears1987
06-18-2005, 09:47 AM

Buehrle did a radio interview about a month ago. When asked about resigning with the Sox, he said he will be a White Sox player until he feels he isn't wanted here anymore or is traded. He is definately wanted, and there is no doubt that KW will try to resign him so Buehrle will be on the south side for some time.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2005, 10:31 AM

I know you meant this as a joke, and I agree it is funny.
:thumbsup:

However there is more than a grain of truth to the notion that great ballplayers are often the most likely ones to cheat at the point where there greatness begins to slip. Lip has already noted several HOF pitchers who cheated and who can forget Scammy's corked bat after mysteriously losing his muscle bulk the previous winter?

Great athletes will cheat when their own reputation for greatness is threatened. I'm reminded of a story Earl Weaver once told. When he would visit a pitcher on the mound caught in the middle of a tight jam, his advice would be, "If you know how to cheat, now is the time to start."

That was Earl's advice to HOFer Jim Palmer. Who says Maddux isn't a student of the game?

:roflmao:

harwar
06-18-2005, 11:25 AM
The "so-called' cheating that everyone is up in arms about has been a part of the game of baseball forever.
Guys as old as i am(50) know that it was routine for an aging pitcher to use any means at his disposal to get the job done.
I guess times have changed and the media has changed with it.
One thing about that shill,bruce levine.
He wouldn't be getting away with what hes' doing on THE WHITE SOX post-game show if Dave Wills was still at the helm.

misty60481
06-18-2005, 11:45 AM
they said Whitey Ford could carve a baseball like coring an apple on his beltbuckle

TornLabrum
06-18-2005, 12:14 PM
The "so-called' cheating that everyone is up in arms about has been a part of the game of baseball forever.
Guys as old as i am(50) know that it was routine for an aging pitcher to use any means at his disposal to get the job done.
I guess times have changed and the media has changed with it.
One thing about that shill,bruce levine.
He wouldn't be getting away with what hes' doing on THE WHITE SOX post-game show if Dave Wills was still at the helm.

I haven't heard Levine on the postgame shows that I've been able to catch lately. What has he been getting away with?

Foulke You
06-18-2005, 12:32 PM
My guess- Zambrano. I see him licking his fingers all the time, and his fastball moves way too much for it to be 95 mph.
This is my guess too. I see Zambrano licking his fingers quite a bit and his pitches seem to have a lot more movement than Greg Maddux has these days. Throw in a generous helping of disdain for the guy from White Sox players and I think Zambrano might be the Spitter that Buehrle is referring to.

MRKARNO
06-18-2005, 12:37 PM
This is my guess too. I see Zambrano licking his fingers quite a bit and his pitches seem to have a lot more movement than Greg Maddux has these days. Throw in a generous helping of disdain for the guy from White Sox players and I think Zambrano might be the Spitter that Buehrle is referring to.

That's what I was thinking. They don't call his sinker a "heavy" sinker for nothing, do they?

harwar
06-19-2005, 08:08 AM
I haven't heard Levine on the postgame shows that I've been able to catch lately. What has he been getting away with?

He always seems to put a negative slant on everything he reports on about the White Sox.
Even after a great pitching preformance by Buehrle all he wanted to talk about was Marks' comments about,what he said about some cubs pitcher using a foreign substance.
He seems to wish he were covering the team on the northside instead of the White sox.
I just don't like the guy.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 09:24 AM
He always seems to put a negative slant on everything he reports on about the White Sox.
Even after a great pitching preformance by Buehrle all he wanted to talk about was Marks' comments about,what he said about some cubs pitcher using a foreign substance.
He seems to wish he were covering the team on the northside instead of the White sox.
I just don't like the guy.

Expect more of that now that the Sox are moving to The Score. Yesterday I about threw up listening to Hood talking about how Sox management listens to the fans and makes changes based on their complaints. Okay, they have since they got the U.S. Cellular money. Before that they had those surveys that showed everything was hunkie dorie.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Yesterday I about threw up listening to Hood talking about how Sox management listens to the fans and makes changes based on their complaints. Okay, they have since they got the U.S. Cellular money. Before that they had those surveys that showed everything was hunkie dorie.

Who can forget yet another of Jerry Reinsdorf's unbelievable Foot-in-Mouth comments after the initial ballpark renovations were announced back in 2000.

:reinsy
"Sox Fans don't want to win as much as I do."

This has been a great season, Jerry. Make the smart move and KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!