PDA

View Full Version : Newfound respect for Rick Morrissey

MERPER
06-17-2005, 01:44 AM
Morrissey, a Cubune columnist, agrees with Everett on one thing:

Everett called Wrigley the worst park in the majors, and whether that is true or not, I don't know. But in Chicago, the ballpark at 35th and Shields beats the one at Clark and Addison.

Read the whole thing: LINK (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050616morrissey,1,4894876.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 01:49 AM

Everett called Wrigley the worst park in the majors, and whether that is true or not, I don't know. But in Chicago, the ballpark at 35th and Shields beats the one at Clark and Addison.

Read the whole thing: LINK (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050616morrissey,1,4894876.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Clearly it took ripping Everett to shreds to point out this obvious fact.

skobabe8
06-17-2005, 01:49 AM

Over/Under on days until Rick Morrissey is fired: .5

ShoelessJoeS
06-17-2005, 01:54 AM

:o:...wow im shocked that a mediot finally got something correct...:D:

doublem23
06-17-2005, 01:55 AM
Clearly it took ripping Everett to shreds to point out this obvious fact.

That was my reaction. I never thought someone could insult someone else with whom they agreed with so much.

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Over/Under on days until Rick Morrissey is fired: .5

It wouldn't suprise me if he was told to write this. Think about it for a sec. An article that makes fun of a SOX player while getting the Flub Fans pissed off at something other than the joke of a team they field each game. And it will give them a reason to stand by their stadium and it will be a big stinking martr for all the flubbie sheep to graze around.

chaerulez
06-17-2005, 08:26 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/2000/07/19/everett_flashback/

I think that's the interview in question about the dinosaurs. I love the comment about Jeter, because it's true. Derek Jeter is one of the most overrated players in history. New York hype and nothing more.

Madvora
06-17-2005, 08:41 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/2000/07/19/everett_flashback/

I think that's the interview in question about the dinosaurs. I love the comment about Jeter, because it's true. Derek Jeter is one of the most overrated players in history. New York hype and nothing more.

Wow that's a hell of a history lesson on Carl.
Reading through that you can see how many players have shifted around in just five years. There's one part in there talking about Bartolo Colon - the ace of the Cleveland Indians

Muopsies
06-17-2005, 08:42 AM
I think it was a great article. I dont think he was making fun of Carl, just rehashing the Maxim article. No harm no foul to me. And I love the points about Wrigley, although all of us have known that for a long while. Props to Rick.

Dan H
06-17-2005, 10:32 AM
I think the column was great and I think Morrissey has done some great work in the past. I don't care if he makes fun of Carl. I can't stand Carl pointing to the sky as he does a home run trot. Leave that nonsense to Sammy.

RavenswoodFan
06-17-2005, 10:54 AM
I think the column was great and I think Morrissey has done some great work in the past. I don't care if he makes fun of Carl. I can't stand Carl pointing to the sky as he does a home run trot. Leave that nonsense to Sammy.

I agree, but the man (Carl) does have conviction and I respect that, even though I don't agree with him. But I was pleased to see someone in the local media pointing out what a trash heap Wrigley is!:smile:

TornLabrum
06-17-2005, 11:03 AM

Sammy's little hop is in praise of Sammy. At least Everett's pointing is in praise of something else.

Hitmen77
06-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Great article! I glad someone in the press finally had the guts to tell the truth! If USCF was half the dump Wrigley was (dingy concourse, awful bathrooms, terrible concessions), that's all you'd hear about in the press and from the mouths of ignorant Chicagoans.

Jurr
06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I agree, but the man (Carl) does have conviction and I respect that, even though I don't agree with him. But I was pleased to see someone in the local media pointing out what a trash heap Wrigley is!:smile:
He thinks men made dinosaur bones. :?:

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I still think this is part of an overall effort to "wean" Wrigley fans off the Urinal and to support of a publicly-financed new stadium (with hundreds of luxury suites, club seating, replica bleachers and maybe even a skyline view) to be built a few miles west on Tribune-owned land or in the suburbs.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Anyone who sings Wrigley's praises has their head up their arse. Oh wait...

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/wrigley.html

Only ESPN tools and other mediots who go to maybe one game a year at the Urinal and sit in press boxes with catered food like Wrigley. Anyone who's had their spine ground to powder by the awful seats, sat behind a pole for 3 hours, or ever tried to use the bathroom there knows it for what it is: a festering stink-hole which should be demolished and turned into a parking lot for lincoln park jerk-offs to store their Audis, Jettas and Lexus SUV's in.

TommyJohn
06-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I still think this is part of an overall effort to "wean" Wrigley fans off the Urinal and to support of a publicly-financed new stadium (with hundreds of luxury suites, club seating, replica bleachers and maybe even a skyline view) to be built a few miles west on Tribune-owned land or in the suburbs.

You beat me to it, FP.

tebman
06-17-2005, 11:44 AM
That's possible, but I subscribe to the aphorism that we should not attribute to malice what could be attributed to foolishness. In other words, I don't think the Tribune is that clever.

The paper (in fact, most papers) is in long-term trouble. Circulation is declining because of economics and changes in reading/viewing habits. The big bosses at Tribune Company (harumph -- I have visions of Monopoly Guys with cigars in oak-panelled boardrooms) worry only about their "assets." And the big singles bar they operate at Clark and Addison at the moment is a moneymaking asset. The newspaper is making money, but it's declining. Tap-dancing editor Ann Marie Lipinski quoted Morrissey's "Wrigley Field is a dump" line last year when she was in her spitball-shooting contest with Rich Daley, so it suits her purpose is providing a veneer of "independence" from the parent company's decisions. My guess is that the Corporate Board of Directors squirm when the read that stuff because they're worried about liability, not grand plans.

Maybe they do have some larger strategy, but I doubt it. Like every stock-watching corporation, they're worried about the next quarter's earnings.

chisox
06-17-2005, 12:00 PM
i use to love morissey. but this article is a perfect example of how badly his writing has slipped in recent years.

i worked in the tribune sports office a couple years back and had the pleasure of being able to hang out with him and greinstein at prior's debut at wrigley. he couldn't have been nicer.

but with that said, what does carl everett's craziness have to do with his own dislike for wrigley? he's basically making a statement about how bad the urinal sucks, but then protects himself by basically saying, "but don't get mad folks, i might just be crazy like carl."

he doesn't state anything factual. the average wsi'er can recite all sorts of facts and figures to could back-up his point.

i need to cut myself off from this response, i could go on for days....

mweflen
06-17-2005, 12:04 PM
The Urinal will only be demolished when the lemmings stop packing it to the gills.

Once attendance declines, they'll take a wrecking ball to it and build a new park - which will pack them in for the first 3 seasons or so, and then people will lose interest.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2005, 12:15 PM
The Urinal will only be demolished when the lemmings stop packing it to the gills.

Once attendance declines, they'll take a wrecking ball to it and build a new park - which will pack them in for the first 3 seasons or so, and then people will lose interest.

No, they will keep the Urinal around for Jimmy Buffet concerts, college baseball games (Loyola, DePaul, etc.), frat parties, Lillith Fair VII and year-round beer garden activities. They could even put in a putting green. It will remain a profitable revenue stream.

But they also will have a nice publicly-funded stadium where they can have as many night games as they want with lots of luxury suites, club seats and all the latest amenities. Blair Kamin will praise it for being the only park in Chicago to not have any obstructed seats. They also will own all the parking lots.

Then they will have two revenue sources. It's nefarious, but it's also smart business.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Blair Kamin will praise it for being the only park in Chicago to not have any obstructed seats. They also will own all the parking lots.

Heh. It's funny 'cause it's true...