PDA

View Full Version : Laughing at Dark Clouds

FarWestChicago
06-16-2005, 10:45 PM
San Francisco Gain'ts (a truly horrible, pathetic baseball team) 14

Your Vaunted Twinkies 7

Gain'ts take series from Vaunted Twinks 2-1, in tremendous beatdown fashion. Sox lead over Vaunted Twinks shrinks 0.00 games despite struggling against the pretty good Snakes. What do you have to say for yourselves? Speak up Lip, Viva, other apprentice Dark Clouds. You've got some 'splainin' to do. :roflmao:

batmanZoSo
06-16-2005, 10:59 PM
San Francisco Gain'ts (a truly horrible, pathetic baseball team) 14

Your Vaunted Twinkies 7

Gain'ts take series from Vaunted Twinks 2-1, in tremendous beatdown fashion. Sox lead over Vaunted Twinks shrinks 0.00 games despite struggling against the pretty good Snakes. What do you have to say for yourselves? Speak up Lip, Viva, other apprentice Dark Clouds. You've got some 'splainin' to do. :roflmao:

It's nice to pick up a half game doing nothing.

I tell ya every time it looks like they're getting close, they take a step back and we take a step forward.

Lip Man 1
06-16-2005, 10:59 PM
I appreciate any help the wretched Giants can give.

But as you said yourself last week agreeing with one of my posts Westy-baby, the Twins have done it three years in a row...'it ain't luck.'

As the famous poet Mike Ditka said back in 85, 'there's miles to go, that's what the poet wrote.'

Lotta work to do, lotta games left to play. I'll relax when the Sox are five up with four to go.

Lip

FarWestChicago
06-16-2005, 11:21 PM
I appreciate any help the wretched Giants can give.

But as you said yourself last week agreeing with one of my posts Westy-baby, the Twins have done it three years in a row...'it ain't luck.'

As the famous poet Mike Ditka said back in 85, 'there's miles to go, that's what the poet wrote.'

Lotta work to do, lotta games left to play. I'll relax when the Sox are five up with four to go.

LipLip, don't relax. Hell, the 'Toons are just behind the Twinks. But think of this, and I honestly don't think this applies to you as much as to Viva and several of the other Dark Clouds, if you are miserable all year and the Sox manage to win it all, you missed enjoying the greatest Sox season in perhaps forever. As somebody pointed out in another thread, the 2005 Bosox are champs of nothing. The 2004 Bosox were champs. If a Dark Cloud goes through the whole season miserable, which is what they do, and the Sox win, they miss the whole experience. They "may" get one night in October to be happy. Wow, that would just have to suck. :o:

skobabe8
06-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Lip, don't relax. Hell, the 'Toons are just behind the Twinks. But think of this, and I honestly don't think this applies to you as much as to Viva and several of the other Dark Clouds, if you are miserable all year and the Sox manage to win it all, you missed enjoying the greatest Sox season in perhaps forever. As somebody pointed out in another thread, the 2005 Bosox are champs of nothing. The 2004 Bosox were champs. If a Dark Cloud goes through the whole season miserable, which is what they do, and the Sox win, they miss the whole experience. They "may" get one night in October to be happy. Wow, that would just have to suck. :o:`

That post puts everything in perspective. Despite all of the warnings I've received, it makes me want to give my heart to this team.

"Better to have loved and lost than to never loved at all."

SOX ADDICT '73
06-17-2005, 01:21 AM
"Better to have loved and lost than to never loved at all."
...or, "Better to have been in 1st place and blown it than to never have sniffed the division lead at all."

This was my opinion about last season. In fact, the first thread I started after registering here in January referred to the number of days (50?) the Sox spent in 1st place in 2004. Despite the final result, there was still plenty to be happy about last year. How miserable would it be to live in Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, or Kansas City (throw out the 2003 aberration), whose teams aren't expected to succeed, and thus, few fans really care what happens from one day to the next?

In the event that (and I pray this doesn't happen) the 2005 season ends without a championship, or even a playoff appearance, it has already produced many wonderful memories for Sox fans like myself. And just think of how many more there are to come...:smile:

skobabe8
06-17-2005, 01:41 AM
...or, "Better to have been in 1st place and blown it than to never have sniffed the division lead at all."

This was my opinion about last season. In fact, the first thread I started after registering here in January referred to the number of days (50?) the Sox spent in 1st place in 2004. Despite the final result, there was still plenty to be happy about last year. How miserable would it be to live in Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, or Kansas City (throw out the 2003 aberration), whose teams aren't expected to succeed, and thus, few fans really care what happens from one day to the next?

In the event that (and I pray this doesn't happen) the 2005 season ends without a championship, or even a playoff appearance, it has already produced many wonderful memories for Sox fans like myself. And just think of how many more there are to come...:smile:

EXACTLY! :thumbsup: :cheers:

PorkChopExpress
06-17-2005, 01:44 AM
It's nice to pick up a half game doing nothing.

I tell ya every time it looks like they're getting close, they take a step back and we take a step forward.

I mean this as absolutely no insult, but you sound like a Twins fan from 2001-2004. Nice to see the tables turned, and nice to see the Twinks are pulling the same crap that cost us the division at least three years in a row!

samram
06-17-2005, 06:37 AM
San Francisco Gain'ts (a truly horrible, pathetic baseball team)

You forgot old, really damn old. Jeff Fassero???

elrod
06-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Nice to see Joe Nathan lose his control. Now if Jesse Crain can discover that he's not a superman I'd feel confident that the Twins will have a few more games like this. So far, only Roid Rincon has shown any real shakiness in the pen.

Rocky Soprano
06-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Lip, don't relax. Hell, the 'Toons are just behind the Twinks. But think of this, and I honestly don't think this applies to you as much as to Viva and several of the other Dark Clouds, if you are miserable all year and the Sox manage to win it all, you missed enjoying the greatest Sox season in perhaps forever. As somebody pointed out in another thread, the 2005 Bosox are champs of nothing. The 2004 Bosox were champs. If a Dark Cloud goes through the whole season miserable, which is what they do, and the Sox win, they miss the whole experience. They "may" get one night in October to be happy. Wow, that would just have to suck. :o:

Very well said! I completely agree. I'm going to enjoy this season as much as I can. :bandance:

Baby Fisk
06-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Lip, don't relax. Hell, the 'Toons are just behind the Twinks. But think of this, and I honestly don't think this applies to you as much as to Viva and several of the other Dark Clouds, if you are miserable all year and the Sox manage to win it all, you missed enjoying the greatest Sox season in perhaps forever. As somebody pointed out in another thread, the 2005 Bosox are champs of nothing. The 2004 Bosox were champs. If a Dark Cloud goes through the whole season miserable, which is what they do, and the Sox win, they miss the whole experience. They "may" get one night in October to be happy. Wow, that would just have to suck. :o:
Good points here. Deep inside, we all live with an awareness of the potential for disaster, collapse, and humiliation that is part of being a Sox fan. However, this has been one of the most enjoyable seasons so far. Lots of great wins to savour. Don't spend all your time stressing out over what horrible things might happen. It would be great if all the Homefishes of the Sox Army could just mellow out and enjoy the ride. :cheers:

...but then jeez this place would be dullsville, wouldn't it? :cool:

Sxy Mofo
06-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Question:

Since the world ends to many sox fans when the sox give up double digit runs once in a while, what happens to the world when the twins give up double digit runs?

fquaye149
06-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Question:

Since the world ends to many sox fans when the sox give up double digit runs once in a while, what happens to the world when the twins give up double digit runs?

the world begins?

Jurr
06-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Nice to see Joe Nathan lose his control. Now if Jesse Crain can discover that he's not a superman I'd feel confident that the Twins will have a few more games like this. So far, only Roid Rincon has shown any real shakiness in the pen.
Nathan has a 7+ ERA in his last 14 outings. That's a pretty extended period of going bad.

Flight #24
06-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Nathan has a 7+ ERA in his last 14 outings. That's a pretty extended period of going bad.

That's a bit misleading because of the low IP, where 1 outing like yesterday can really skew things. But he has been given up at least 1 run in 6 of those 14, which is bad for a closer, and especially bad for a team that is designed to win close games like the Twinks.

Also, as someone noted, it's interesting to see Juan Roidcon "suddenly" dropping off from his 2004 performance, which looking at his career is out of line with his career #s. Nathan similarly.......are we looking at a possible Great Lakes Laboratory Cooperative?

Jurr
06-17-2005, 09:58 AM
That's a bit misleading because of the low IP, where 1 outing like yesterday can really skew things. But he has been given up at least 1 run in 6 of those 14, which is bad for a closer, and especially bad for a team that is designed to win close games like the Twinks.

Also, as someone noted, it's interesting to see Juan Roidcon "suddenly" dropping off from his 2004 performance, which looking at his career is out of line with his career #s. Nathan similarly.......are we looking at a possible Great Lakes Laboratory Cooperative?
Juicy information indeed! Ha...i said...ju....ahem.

Cellview22
06-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Isn't it ironic that throughout the remaining games of this homestand, the forecast shows nothing but sunshine and dry weather, with no chance of precipitation or dark clouds rolling in. :cool: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Hitmen77
06-17-2005, 10:20 AM
At this point, the Twins are closer to 3rd place than to 1st place.

fquaye149
06-17-2005, 12:06 PM
minnesota newspaper headline:

"twins falling towards 4th place"?

haha not likely i suppose. only the cubune would stab their hometown team in the back like that.

Baby Fisk
06-17-2005, 12:12 PM
minnesota newspaper headline:

"twins falling towards 4th place"?

haha not likely i suppose. only the cubune would stab their hometown team in the back like that.
That was a memorable headline. :angry:

elrod
06-17-2005, 01:23 PM
The Twins have a lot of depth in the bullpen. Jesse Crain has been just unhittable this year. I don't know why Gardenhire doesn't use Crain as the setup guy and Roidboy and Romero in the 7th. He seems to do it the opposite right now, with Crain in the 7th and Roidboy or Romero in the 8th. Romero is still really sharp. Rincon is not. Last night's game is typical. Crain was lights out in the 7th but then Rincon blew the lead in the 8th.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
And yet, the lead is still only 5.5 games. Correct me if I'm wrong, (and I'm not (http://www.pennant-race.com/custom_baseball_graph)), But we had a lead in the race 5 times last year, and ended up 9 back.

It's too early to start swaggering.

(edited for content to correct me if I was wrong:cool:)

BRDSR
06-17-2005, 01:59 PM
And yet, the lead is still only 5.5 games. Correct me if I'm wrong, (and I'm not (http://www.pennant-race.com/custom_baseball_graph)), But we had a 5 and 6 game leads on several occasions last year, and ended up 9 back.

I can't make heads or tails of that link you provided, but you are wrong. The White Sox topped out at a two game in maybe...mid-June last year. The Sox haven't enjoyed a 5.5+ game lead since the last day of the 2000 season.

Flight #24
06-17-2005, 02:14 PM
And yet, the lead is still only 5.5 games. Correct me if I'm wrong, (and I'm not (http://www.pennant-race.com/custom_baseball_graph)), But we had a 5 and 6 game leads on several occasions last year, and ended up 9 back.

If I'm reading that link correctly, it's not charting games ahead of the 2d place team, but rather games over .500. In fact, if you select Min, CHW, & 2004 it looks like the largest lead over the Twins in 2004 was about 4 games or possibly 5, and it was one time in late May.

Interestingly, it also shows that from some time in late July, when the teams were tied at 9 over, the Twins took off while the Sox slowly meandered down to 4 over. That date coincides roughly with the return of Maggs to the DL.

But it is certainly too early, to start swaggering.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 02:21 PM
If I'm reading that link correctly, it's not charting games ahead of the 2d place team, but rather games over .500. In fact, if you select Min, CHW, & 2004 it looks like the largest lead over the Twins in 2004 was about 4 games or possibly 5, and it was one time in late May.

Interestingly, it also shows that from some time in late July, when the teams were tied at 9 over, the Twins took off while the Sox slowly meandered down to 4 over. That date coincides roughly with the return of Maggs to the DL.

But it is certainly too early, to start swaggering.

yeah, i was guesstimating - the chart shows record, not lead. So it's a little tough to pin down the exact numbers.

Suffice it to say, we had the lead in the race 5 times in 2004 for a total of about half of the time, and blew it.

So no swaggering yet, please.

elrod
06-17-2005, 02:31 PM
The Sox never lead in first place in either of the last two seasons by more than 2 games. And usually it was a either a tie or one game down to the Twins. We haven't had a consistent 5 game lead on anybody since 2000 (and our lead was usually around 8 games).

BTW, for good fun go read the BatGirl site and watch them whine over that 9th inning.

www.bat-girl.com (http://www.bat-girl.com)