PDA

View Full Version : What MINOR Changes Should Be Made to the Cell?

TheOldRoman
06-16-2005, 05:11 PM
I was wondering what other people thought about US Cellular. I think the renovations have been amazing, however, there is always room to improve. I wanted to hear what MINOR things everyone would like to see the Sox do to improve the park. Im not talking about major tasks such as a home run porch, grand entrance behind homeplate, or main entrance/gift shop in the left field corner. I am looking for little things like: paint this a certain color, add a clock to the scoreboard, etc. I write this know at least on person will respond :a 2005 World Series Champions flag in the outfield. We can all agree on that.

OK, I will start:
1. Adding bricks to the bullpens to cover up grey painted concrete (bricks are kind of pricey, but not really a major renovation). If not that, at least paint the 'pens green.
2. Change the warning track and possibly the infield to a darker dirt. The newer parks all use a much darker dirt, and I think it looks better. The field looked great last night - the infield dirt was dark due to the rain, turn into the replay on Comcast now to see it. I think the warning track desperately needs to be changed. The current color is really bad; a light tan, almost pinkish color. I think it detracts from the look of the rest of the park. I would like to see the Sox switch to a crushed red brick track such as the ones used in Boston, Houston, and San Diego.

Fire away, and remember, Sox brass checks WSI regularly. They might take your suggestion.

Hartman
06-16-2005, 05:20 PM
At this point, I'd be happy just to see them finish the seats. Mercy.....

bartmanisgod
06-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Sorry Roman, but only "The Sodfather" Roger Bossard picks the dirt around these parts.

EDIT: I don't even know whether or not to use teal for this post cause I'm not sure if I am joking or somewhat serious.

21whitesoxway
06-16-2005, 05:24 PM
i think stripper poles in right field would be quite fashionable.:D:

TheOldRoman
06-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Sorry Roman, but only "The Sodfather" Roger Bossard picks the dirt around these parts.

EDIT: I don't even know whether or not to use teal for this post cause I'm not sure if I am joking or somewhat serious.
I know, but he has used darker dirts for warning tracks on fields he created in Boston, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and so on.

MRKARNO
06-16-2005, 05:46 PM
A vastly improved out of town scoreboard that is actually updated in real-time. The current one is brutal. Also a more reliable pitch-speed display would be much appreciated and it would be really cool if it would list the pitch type like they have in San Diego.

We also need a Frank Thomas HR counter because he's going to be approaching 500 with the Sox next season.

21whitesoxway
06-16-2005, 05:58 PM
A vastly improved out of town scoreboard that is actually updated in real-time. The current one is brutal. Also a more reliable pitch-speed display would be much appreciated and it would be really cool if it would list the pitch type like they have in San Diego.

We also need a Frank Thomas HR counter because he's going to be approaching 500 with the Sox next season.

Yeah, the digital scoreboards they have on the walls in toronto were kick-ass i wouldn't mind seeing them somewhere in our park.

zach23
06-16-2005, 05:59 PM
A new pole with a "2005 World Champions" flag.

That small change would make the place perfect.

TomBradley72
06-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Paint all of the unpainted metal rails around the seating area/fundamentals dark green, paint any bare concrete dark green, put a clock face on the MCD ad on the scoreboard (wouldn't that make more people look at it?...so good for McD's), replace generic names (bullpen sports bar, terrace suites, patio area, etc.) with names reflecting their history or Chicago.

GiveMeSox
06-16-2005, 06:29 PM
These are in order!

1. White Sox 2005 World Series Champs Flag
2. Upgrade the out of town scorebaord to a full color and detailed board (like cleveland and toronto did)
3. Change the color of the exterior arched windows from the infamous comiskey light blue to charcoal, gray, or black of some sort to reflect the recent color change of the park.
4. Metra Stop on 35th st.
5. Get rid of the upper deck tix cant go in lower deck to walk around thing.
6. Convert unused skyboxes down the lines into something cool, outdoors preferably.

RallyBowl
That Mc D's logo has to go. Shouldn't it be a Sox logo? Or a head shot of Hawk?:smile:

Jurr

Amen! A good out of town board, and I'd be totally pleased!

TheOldRoman
06-16-2005, 07:03 PM

I agree. They had something like that in SF and Cincy when Barroids and Griffey respectively were chasing home run milestones.

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I could not agree more with what TheOldRoman originally posted. I have been wanting the bullpens and bullpen sports bar bricked for a while now. I may even go as far as to give myself credit for being the first person to throw that out there. At least one of the first. :D:

I love threads like this, and this is a good one because it stipulates MINOR changes.
So here's mine....

1. Bricked bullpens, BPSB
2. Re-naming the BPSB, Patio are, and terrace suites.
3. Spraying Miracle Grow on the ivy that is climbing the outside walls. I think that will look great when its all grown over.
4. Add a Louisville Slugger Bat Making stand on the outfield concourse where they show you how they make bats out of a big peice of wood. I've seen them in St. Louis and Cleveland. Very cool.
5. Have a kick butt BBQ stand somewhere on the concourse, and improve the nachos at the mexican stand so they have chicken and beef and stuff like that.
6. If it has rained prior to a game, have the ushers armed with towels so they can wipe your seat down for you before you sit down. Cleveland does this.
7. We just started doing the thing where you can be picked to sit in the scout seats. That is a really good idea.
8. Darker dirt or crushed brick along the warning track. Its amazing how much this improves the look of a ballpark.

Thats pretty much it. They are all "Minor".

Cubbiesuck13
06-16-2005, 08:05 PM
The infield dirt is the dirt from old comiskey. Keep it!

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 08:10 PM

The infield dirt is fine. Its the light tan crushed stone around the warning track I dont like. It looks like its from a little league girls softball field.

BlackHat91
06-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that the infield dirt was hauled over from old Comiskey when it was torn down? If thats the case then the dirt has to stay.
And that cheesy McD's logo in centerfield has to go. I know they could find something better to put there.

BlackHat91
06-16-2005, 08:11 PM

Beat me to it!

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Beat me to it!

Its not the infield dirt we're talking about!

I want Mags back
06-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Paint all of the unpainted metal rails around the seating area/fundamentals dark green, paint any bare concrete dark green, put a clock face on the MCD ad on the scoreboard (wouldn't that make more people look at it?...so good for McD's), replace generic names (bullpen sports bar, terrace suites, patio area, etc.) with names reflecting their history or Chicago.

Someone posted a email here last week from brooks, and he said Mickey D's owns the spot for 5 yrs. or so

I hope thgey plan of making the cover over the bench in the visitors pen Green, it's still the blue

VA_GoGoSox
06-16-2005, 09:09 PM

I want that mickey dee's logo gone completely. A simple clock face would look great there. I love the pinwheels and hope they are forever a part of white sox baseball, but the mcdonald's logo makes it look like a mcdonald's playland or something.

Also, the upper deck tix = no admittance to the concourse thing is dumb. Please stop this.

Hitmen77
06-16-2005, 09:21 PM
what's with this new obsession with warning track dirt color. :?:

Now that they've fixed the upper deck and are changing the seats from blue to green, will the dirt be the latest excuse to rip on the park? I can hear Moronotti or Giangreco now.... "Sox win in front of a sea of empty green seats that look out onto a pale warning track...."

Cubbiesuck13
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Its not the infield dirt we're talking about!

Yes it was!

2. Change the warning track and possibly the infield to a darker dirt. -TheOldRoman

Hitmen77
06-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Ok, here are my suggestions:

- Place brick on areas that are now just plain concrete (e.g.; bullpen wall)

- Convert unused, empty skybox areas to something the fans will enjoy (great suggestion GiveMeSox!). Like the scout seats, perhaps the cost for doing this this could be recouped by revenue generated by what ever goes there (restaurant, party area, more club-quality seats(?))

- Aux. scoreboard is now blocked by Fundamentals along the 3rd base line. Either move it to right next to the main scoreboard, or provide a smaller secondary scoreboard so that fans along 3rd base line can see basic game info.

- Improve out-of-town scoreboard

- Add Kiosks to area in front of the gate/ramp that is located by the site of Old Comiskey (Mike Veeck idea).

WagMan
06-16-2005, 09:52 PM
4. Add a Louisville Slugger Bat Making stand on the outfield concourse where they show you how they make bats out of a big peice of wood. I've seen them in St. Louis and Cleveland. Very cool.

I couldn't agree more! Every other stadium I've been to has had one of these set up somewhere in the park. Whether it's Louisville Slugger or Rawlings, I thought it'd be awesome to have at the cell. I sent it in as a suggestion and the response back I got was "We have looked into doing that, but, at this time, we can not find a local vendor who could provide that service." Well, that's not exactly what it said, but basically.

Also, they really need an improved scoreboard along the 1st and 3rd base sides so that you can keep score while sitting in the outfield. There's too much blocking the out of town board now to keep turning around to try to and see the official scoring on a play. I know keeping score is outdated, but, I love to do it and wish they'd make it easier for those of us who wish to do so.

GiveMeSox
06-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Ok, here are my suggestions:

- Place brick on areas that are now just plain concrete (e.g.; bullpen wall)

- Convert unused, empty skybox areas to something the fans will enjoy (great suggestion GiveMeSox!). Like the scout seats, perhaps the cost for doing this this could be recouped by revenue generated by what ever goes there (restaurant, party area, more club-quality seats(?))

- Aux. scoreboard is now blocked by Fundamentals along the 3rd base line. Either move it to right next to the main scoreboard, or provide a smaller secondary scoreboard so that fans along 3rd base line can see basic game info.

- Improve out-of-town scoreboard

- Add Kiosks to area in front of the gate/ramp that is located by the site of Old Comiskey (Mike Veeck idea).

Yeah i definatly think they should do something with the unused skyboxes down the lines. Make them into a unique area open to all the fans. Make like a little "Sun Patio" that jets out a little for fans to get some rays in the summer or something. Or maybe turn the area a business center for the fans to use with free internet, stats lookup, baseball encyclopedias, newspapers, etc etc. All I ask is they just do something.

ShoelessJoeS
06-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Aux. scoreboard is now blocked by Fundamentals along the 3rd base line. Either move it to right next to the main scoreboard, or provide a smaller secondary scoreboard so that fans along 3rd base line can see basic game info.
great point...i was at the first game of the zona series sitting in the left field lower resereved seats behind the sox bullpen. if i went to the bathroom or got some food (i love the funnel cakes) and missed something, i couldnt even tell who was up next or what they did their last at bat. something should be done about both scoreboards

skobabe8
06-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Yes it was!

-TheOldRoman

My fault, I didnt realize thats what was said. :redface: But thats not what I'm referring to. I'm just talking about the warning track. Not the infield itself.

clee-hegone
06-17-2005, 12:55 AM
1)name the patio "PUDGE'S PATIO"
2)bullpen sports bar "blackjack's pub"
3)the 3 section in the upper deck behind home plate name it the "hawk eyes nest" after harrelson, (the blackhawks and wolves have similar ideas"
4)name the terraces "larussa's level"
5)create an electrical current between the top of the foul poles and the spinwheels so after a HR a lightning like electric bolt connects the foul pole and spinwheels before the fireworks. kind of giving the approach of charging up the rockets.

skobabe8
06-17-2005, 01:01 AM
3)the 3 section in the upper deck behind home plate name it the "hawk eyes nest" after harrelson, (the blackhawks and wolves have similar ideas"
5)create an electrical current between the top of the foul poles and the spinwheels so after a HR a lightning like electric bolt connects the foul pole and spinwheels before the fireworks. kind of giving the approach of charging up the rockets.

Wow! Would that be cool or what? I guarantee you thats never been considered!

ShoelessJoeS
06-17-2005, 01:19 AM
excellent ideas, i think no. 5 would be a sight to see

BridgePortNative
06-17-2005, 01:29 AM
I got a great Idea that would help, Maybe close off the parking lot where The House that the Old Roman built, and have some type of a memorial park, similar to what's been going on at Millenium Park minus the theater, Ice Rink, The Bean, and the restaurant (although that might help.....) Have some statues, a tiny foutain, trees, tall bushes, Images, like (if any body have seen), the pictures last year of the families around the world and have Sox history around,

Oh, wait, damn.......... I think this is a MAJOR project......oops.

Still, a damn good Idea

SFC. Payne

skobabe8
06-17-2005, 01:39 AM
I got a great Idea that would help, Maybe close off the parking lot where The House that the Old Roman built, and have some type of a memorial park, similar to what's been going on at Millenium Park minus the theater, Ice Rink, The Bean, and the restaurant (although that might help.....) Have some statues, a tin foutain, trees, tall bushes, Images, like (if any body have seen), the pictures last year of the families around the world and have Sox history around,

Still, a damn good Idea

SFC. Payne

Its borderline major....but still a pretty good idea! :D: I wouldnt mind seeing all parking lots north of 35th st. eliminated to make room for ideas such as yours, or retail/restaurant areas. Theres plenty of parking south of the ballpark.

ShoelessJoeS
06-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Its borderline major....but still a pretty good idea! :D: I wouldnt mind seeing all parking lots north of 35th st. eliminated to make room for ideas such as yours, or retail/restaurant areas. Theres plenty of parking south of the ballpark.
another good point, i dont think ive ever tailgated in another lot other than E or F

Chisox003
06-17-2005, 01:44 AM

Wow.

:bong:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Besides the brick facade completion and all the seats going green, I stand by my post of a few months ago - rename BPSB to McCuddy's. Re-do the entrance in the bottom LF corner to resemble the old tavern.

NO signs on the OF walls - I hate that. Leave 'em green - I truly don't care if there are runners on 2nd and 3rd, with 2 out between Pittsburgh and Cinci - show me the score, who's pitching, and inning.

SSN721
06-17-2005, 07:51 AM

Number 5 would be so damn awesome I dont even know a better way to describe it. I do question the fans safety of the typ of charge it would take to do that but it would be cool as hell to see.

paciorek1983
06-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Brick the pens.

Retro clock on scoreboard-----even though according to Brooks, the Sox approached McD about the idea, and McD----doesn't want to do it:angry: (I think we'll have to pettition McD on that one)

All gray stain should be black instead.

Cellview22
06-17-2005, 10:00 AM
I would put a small restaurant in the upper deck concourse, and to be really smart, it would be Chicago's famous deep dish pizza. Not Connies, or whatever they have now. My choice would be Lou Malnati's. Have the entire back of the restaurant be glass windows so you can sit down at a table and view the skyline; also giant tv screens. And a pickup window near the front where you can order full pizzas or slices to go, so you can bring it back to your seat. AND ONLY UD TICKET HOLDERS get access to this famous Chicago pizza. :D: I would also advertise it like crazy!

Another thing I would do is add a small light waterfall in the outfield (and maybe shooting fountains) right below the ivy, falling onto the boring green blank terrace that's out there now, on either side of the outfield tunnel. Add shrubbery and rocks on it, and make it look really impressive.

Jurr
06-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Besides the brick facade completion and all the seats going green, I stand by my post of a few months ago - rename BPSB to McCuddy's. Re-do the entrance in the bottom LF corner to resemble the old tavern.

NO signs on the OF walls - I hate that. Leave 'em green - I truly don't care if there are runners on 2nd and 3rd, with 2 out between Pittsburgh and Cinci - show me the score, who's pitching, and inning.
No....flat out rebuild McCuddy's. SOMEWHERE!!!

Then, the next thing that could be done (to increase revenue with the head sponsor) would be to eliminate Joan Cusack from all TV spots.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Clock. Clock clock clock clock clock.

There ought to be an analog clock placed somewhere where all can see it without obstruction. The current digital clock is blocked to most of the LD by the fan deck and/or the fundamentals deck.

In the best of all worlds, it would replace the McDonald's logo (which I've never understood, since McD's doesn't sell its 'food' at the game) atop the center of the scoreboard.

If they can't do this (and Brooks has essentially said as much), then a permanent digital clock somewhere else would do. Perhaps on the ribbon LED boards or something.

mdep524
06-17-2005, 11:40 AM
I really like the Cell the way it is now. In fact the only change structurally I would make is a porch/deck in rightfield that would finish the park quite nicely. But because this is a "small" changes thread, here is one very small change that I think would improve the experience tremendously:

SHOW MORE REPLAYS ON THE BIG CENTERFIELD VIDEO BOARD.

Here we have this beautiful video board in centerfield, and the only replays that are shown are great plays by the Sox. If the opponent makes a nice play, or delivers a big hit, the replay is never shown. If Aaron Rowand makes a catch crashing into the wall, you'll see it 10 times up on the board. But if Steve Finley makes a nice diving catch, or Troy Glaus hits a 400 foot bomb, they pretend it never happened.

We're all baseball fans here. A good play is worth marveling over on replay even if it is made by the opposition. What if you had your head turned and missed the lay entirely? Do we really have to insult the fans by only showing Sox highlights on the board?

This is a condescending, insulting, stupid policy.

Also, controversial, close (safe or out, fair or foul) plays are not shown on the board either. Why is this? While I understand the argument that they don't want to incite Sox fan's anger or embarrass an umpire by exposing a bad call... the Bulls show all replays on the UC scoreboard, and I have been to other baseball stadiums that have showed these types of replays.

IMO, this is something that Sox brass needs to change about the Cell.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Stop yelling "On your feet!" to intelligent, discriminating, paying fans.

I'll stand and cheer when I damn well please, and when it's called for and/or deserved by a player's performance, comeback, etc. I'm not going to just do it like some Cubbie-fan lemming.

ohhoy
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
it would nice to have a pitch speed indicator that works all the time instead of saying "welcome to us cellular field" the entire game. I've been to 5 games this year and its only been working for two of them.

White Sox Baseball

-sticking it to the man in 2005

1-4 in games attending :(:
although i did witness the timo perez game winning rbi double on memorial day

mweflen
06-17-2005, 01:24 PM
yeah, a consistently functioning and updated out of town scoreboard would be nice, too. And will they every fix the video board feed, or are we goign to have to look at everyone's photo through a digital "screen door" on the right top quarter?

BridgePortNative
06-17-2005, 01:42 PM
I got a great Idea that would help, Maybe close off the parking lot where The House that the Old Roman built, and have some type of a memorial park, similar to what's been going on at Millenium Park minus the theater, Ice Rink, The Bean, and the restaurant (although that might help.....) Have some statues, a tiny foutain, trees, tall bushes, Images, like (if any body have seen), the pictures last year of the families around the world and have Sox history around,

Still, a damn good Idea

SFC. Payne

The reason I don't see this happenening is that we many need tax-payers money, have to go through approval of stingy stat senate, or have sponsors for it, Thats a tough one I would like to think of this one happening, but it's a costly one.

hdog1017
06-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't want bricks anywhere near the Cell. I don't want them them to Wrigleyfy the Cell.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't want bricks anywhere near the Cell. I don't want them them to Wrigleyfy the Cell.

Too late, muchacho - we already have bricks, ivy, the whole schmear... even jerkoffs throwing home run balls back...

TheOldRoman
06-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, you are right. Bricks were invented by Charlie Weegham in 1914, and have been exclusive to the Urinal ever since then. It would be pretty embarrassing if we added bricks seeing as no other buildings ever have used them. Wait a minute, the Urinal has seats in it. F, we'd better get rid of those, too.

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Too late, muchacho - we already have bricks, ivy, the whole schmear... even jerkoffs throwing home run balls back...

Perhaps the ushers can carry stun guns and shoot hr-throw-backers in the face as well as people who start/ join in the wave. Nah...flub fans would cry that they were being profiled!

Hitmen77
06-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah, you are right. Bricks were invented by Charlie Weegham in 1914, and have been exclusive to the Urinal ever since then. It would be pretty embarrassing if we added bricks seeing as no other buildings ever have used them. Wait a minute, the Urinal has seats in it. F, we'd better get rid of those, too.

LOL! Why is it that all this effort at Wrigley to add a ribbon scoreboard, add a restaurant, add parking, etc. is never referred to as "Comiskifying" their park?

I think we should rip out the natural grass and put in astroturf at the Cell because the Cubs are known for playing for years on natural grass.

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 05:19 PM
I think we should rip out the natural grass and put in astroturf at the Cell because the Cubs are known for playing for years on natural grass.

They did that to Old Comiskey so really it's not teal-worthy. sigh...just sad...

Hitmen77
06-17-2005, 08:07 PM
They did that to Old Comiskey so really it's not teal-worthy. sigh...just sad...

Only for a few years during the Allyn ownership. Veeck had it removed in '76.

AOEllis
06-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Tilt the new seats towards 2nd base or the pitchers mound. A lot of newer parks do this and I hate how the current seats down the baseline face towards centerfield.

iamkoza
06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
get some kind of air circulation in the bullpen sports bar area under right field stands... i thought i would melt, i had to go to my upperdeck seats after only 1 ining because i couldnt take it

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Tilt the new seats towards 2nd base or the pitchers mound. A lot of newer parks do this and I hate how the current seats down the baseline face towards centerfield.

That's not exactly minor. They would have to redo the foundation of the seats to do that.

AOEllis
06-17-2005, 09:45 PM
They are already replacing the seats anyways.

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 09:47 PM
They are already replacing the seats anyways.

Yes they are but not the foundation. I agree that it is nice but it is too involved. Someone explained it to me before when it came up. I wish I could explain it to you but I forgot exaclty what was said.

Brian26
06-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes they are but not the foundation. I agree that it is nice but it is too involved. Someone explained it to me before when it came up. I wish I could explain it to you but I forgot exaclty what was said.

The entire stadium is designed around a point just behind second base. The seats all face that point. The seats cannot be "tilted" for several reasons. (I believe you're asking to have them "rotated" so they face home plate.) You could not change the current row configurations because all of the seats in each row are at the same elevation. If you tried to change the direction of the current rows, some seats would be lower than others. Within each row, the seats could not be rotated because it would cause a zig-zag in the aisles that would hamper the minimum ingress/egress width. It's just not possible.

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 10:03 PM
The entire stadium is designed around a point just behind second base. The seats all face that point. The seats cannot be "tilted" for several reasons. (I believe you're asking to have them "rotated" so they face home plate.) You could not change the current row configurations because all of the seats in each row are at the same elevation. If you tried to change the direction of the current rows, some seats would be lower than others. Within each row, the seats could not be rotated because it would cause a zig-zag in the aisles that would hamper the minimum ingress/egress width. It's just not possible.

Thank you.

batmanZoSo
06-17-2005, 10:20 PM
I stand by my idea to paint the aisles charcoal grey. That would look so goth.

TimoandAaron
06-17-2005, 10:41 PM

i agree with you 100%. How could you mess with Roger's field?

iamkoza
06-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Jesus, what a reply, did u consult the IBC for that one?

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2005, 11:06 PM
i agree with you 100%. How could you mess with Roger's field?

I don't know what Roger's field is.

C-Dawg
06-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Replace generic names (bullpen sports bar, terrace suites, patio area, etc.) with names reflecting their history or Chicago.

I've always felt the large lettering they have on the outside of these areas is too modernistic and bland. How many times I have seen the replays of homeruns on the news and seen "THE PATIO" spelled out in those big letters..... Maybe the old-style font like they had at the old park ("Picnic Area", Bullpen II", etc) would be better.

SoxWillWin
06-18-2005, 12:26 PM
put a clock face on the MCD ad on the scoreboard (wouldn't that make more people look at it?...so good for McD's)

Could work

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2977&stc=1