PDA

View Full Version : Is the Central the Toughest Division in the A.L?

ChiSoxMTR
06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Looking at the standings, the top two teams in the central have a higher winning percentage than the top two of any A.L. division. The next two, Cle. and Det. are three over and one under respectively. That's comparable to the next two in the east, N.Y. and Tor. and is better than the next two in the west Sea. and Oak. Don't tell me that the central is beating up on K.C. either, because the east has a team just as bad in Tampa.

Cowhead418
06-16-2005, 03:32 PM
I think so. KC may be bad but they are thriving under their new manager. They are 10-4 under Bell and have won series against the Giants, Diamondbacks, Dodgers and Yankees while losing one series against the Rangers in that span.:o:

Buehrle_Man56
06-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I think right now the AL East is...Orioles, Red Sox, Yankees, and Blue Jays all have a great chance.

CHISOXFAN13
06-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I think right now the AL East is...Orioles, Red Sox, Yankees, and Blue Jays all have a great chance.

Agreed, but for the first time in a long time, I think the AL Central is not even in the argument when discussing worst divisions in baseball.

The NL West, Central and AL West are all inferior at this point.

maurice
06-16-2005, 04:25 PM
The AL East might end up better than the AL Central, but the AL Central has been much better so far this year. The AL East standings are pathetic, and the win totals for the best teams are annually inflated by the presence of the worst team in MLB history.

The NL East obviously has been very impressive this year.

ShoelessJoeS
06-16-2005, 04:44 PM
by far...other than KC. the twins, toons and sox have the three best staff ERAs in the AL, in that order

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 04:46 PM
At least they're not the A.L. (Comedy) Central anymore.

kojak
06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Just look at the division records. The only losing records among AL Central teams outside of the division are KC vs. AL West (3-12) and Detroit vs. AL East (8-10). All other records, including interleague, are .500 or better.

You could look at the AL West teams records vs. the AL Central, but I would just point you back to KC's record above.

We have 4 teams playing .500 and 2 teams playing .600.
3 teams in the top 5 and 4 teams in the top 9 in team ERA.

Best division in the AL?? How about the best division in baseball!

downstairs
06-16-2005, 05:48 PM
What do you consider "tough"?

We're probably the best division.

But the AL East (and take it out to the entire majors and say the NL East) is the closest with the most number of teams. Fighting 4 other teams is maybe tougher than fighting one?

ChiSoxMTR
06-16-2005, 06:31 PM
What do you consider "tough"?

We're probably the best division.

But the AL East (and take it out to the entire majors and say the NL East) is the closest with the most number of teams. Fighting 4 other teams is maybe tougher than fighting one?

By tough, I mean strong, as in not easily defeated. I agree that there is clearly a difference between being the "best" and the "most competitive" division in baseball. The central is not the most competitive, but it might be the best.

kojak
06-16-2005, 06:33 PM
What is so competitive about a bunch of average teams (NL East) stumbling over one another?

ChiSoxMTR
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
What is so competitive about a bunch of average teams (NL East) stumbling over one another?
I used competitive to mean contested, which implies there is a struggle between competitors for superiority. Even if a division somehow had 5 teams around .500, they would be struggling for superiority within their division and that would be a competitive division.

doublem23
06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
by far...other than KC. the twins, toons and sox have the three best staff ERAs in the AL, in that order

That's because they get so many more games against the less the spectacular offenses this division has.

There has to be some defining of terms here, too. By tough, do you mean best or most competitive? As of right now, the White Sox have the largest division lead in the American League and 2nd best in all of baseball (Cardinals), but I'm not 100% convinced this is the "best" division in the MLB or even the American League.

ShoelessJoeS
06-16-2005, 08:21 PM
There has to be some defining of terms here, too. By tough, do you mean best or most competitive? As of right now, the White Sox have the largest division lead in the American League and 2nd best in all of baseball (Cardinals), but I'm not 100% convinced this is the "best" division in the MLB or even the American League.
but would you agree that the sox and twins are the best two teams in the AL, as their records state?

kojak
06-16-2005, 08:30 PM
That's because they get so many more games against the less the spectacular offenses this division has.

I don't necessarily think that is relevent. Take a look at Texas. They have scored more runs than any team in the American League, yet they have played more of their games against the pitching-rich AL Central than any other division. If your statement were true then you would not expect to see Texas leading the league in scoring. Or you would not expect the AL Central to lead MLB in team ERA.

Baltimore would be another example. 3rd in runs scored and similar number of games played against the AL Central. That is two high scoring teams with a combined 44 games against AL Central foes...

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Isnt it funny how things go in cycles, people? It wasnt too long ago when the AL Central was THEE worst. Now, it can be argued for THE best.

NWSox
06-18-2005, 03:58 AM
I think the AL Central is statistically the best in the league so far. The average number of losses per team is just under 31. The AL East and West both average 33 losses per team. In the NL, the East has 31 losses per team, the Central 34 and the West 35.