PDA

View Full Version : So who wants Magglio?

Jjav829
06-16-2005, 01:21 PM
From Bob Nightengale:

The Tigers unloaded reliever Ugueth Urbina after he got into a fight with injured outfielder Magglio Ordonez and had a verbal confrontation with closer Troy Percival.

Urbina is a pud, so this isn't big news that he managed to get into a fight with somebody, but the real reason I made this thread is...

Ordonez, who signed a five-year, $75 million contract, has told friends he wouldn't mind being traded this winter if the Tigers don't show improvement.

LOL, whoops. That's what happens when you hire Scott Boras, Maggs. You'll get your money, but don't expect to necessarily be playing in a great place.

Link (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columnist/nightengale/2005-06-15-majors_x.htm)

DumpJerry
06-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Note to Maggs::violin:
In all fairness to Maggs, it's not like he had any choices other than Detroit when he was entertaining all those offers.

Risk
06-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I guess Boras neglected to tell Maggs that the Tigers were still going to suck even with him on that team.

In all seriousness, however, I would like to thank Maggs and Borass for their unabated greed and arrogance in taking down another AL Central team for the next several years.:D:

Risk

White Sox Josh
06-16-2005, 01:28 PM
http://lurking.org/2003/10/nelson.jpg
HA-HA!

Unregistered
06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Ordonez, who signed a five-year, $75 million contract, has told friends he wouldn't mind being traded this winter if the Tigers don't show improvement. Who the **** would trade for a player who has played all of 2 GAMES the season after having career-threatening knee surgery? And who the **** would take on that salary to do it??

Sorry Maggs, you're screwed.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476

FedEx227
06-16-2005, 01:44 PM
hey..hey..HEY!!

3 games... don't sell Maggs short!

Flight #24
06-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Who the **** would trade for a player who has played all of 2 GAMES the season after having career-threatening knee surgery? And who the **** would take on that salary to do it??

Seriously! I mean that "preference" is on par with me saying "I wouldn't mind having a supermodel show up at my house carrying a sack of $1000 bills".

Any bets Urbina was complaining about how the Tigers aren't going anywhere & he wanted out, Maggs said to shut up, and Ugie went off Ozzie-style on Maggs' lying, thieving ways? Ozzie & Ugie are pretty close, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not far from how it went down.

White Sox Josh
06-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Who the **** would trade for a player who has played all of 2 GAMES the season after having career-threatening knee surgery? And who the **** would take on that salary to do it??

Sorry Maggs, you're screwed.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476Make that into a Sig dude!

SoxSpeed22
06-16-2005, 02:16 PM
I guess Boras neglected to tell Maggs that the Tigers were still going to suck even with him on that team.

In all seriousness, however, I would like to thank Maggs and Borass for their unabated greed and arrogance in taking down another AL Central team for the next several years.:D:

RiskNo argument here. Dombrowski gonna have some fun unloading that contract.

CHIsoxNation
06-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Seriously! I mean that "preference" is on par with me saying "I wouldn't mind having a supermodel show up at my house carrying a sack of $1000 bills".

Any bets Urbina was complaining about how the Tigers aren't going anywhere & he wanted out, Maggs said to shut up, and Ugie went off Ozzie-style on Maggs' lying, thieving ways? Ozzie & Ugie are pretty close, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not far from how it went down.

That's what I was thinking. Except I think Mags may be been complaining about a bunch of things as well which could have invoked Urbana to snap at Mags and tell him to shut up. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the heated argument Ozzie's name came up and Urbana was backing him 100%.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Is there any credible source precisely explaining Detroit's predicament? I know they can bail on Magglio if he is on the DL because of the knee injury, but what about his hernia/dizziness/menstrual cramps? You know Boras will try to make the contract's full dollar amount hold up by any legal technicality he can possibly find in the contract's language.

Detroit, Maggs, and Borass. They deserve one another.
:cool:

Flight #24
06-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Is there any credible source precisely explaining Detroit's predicament? I know they can bail on Magglio if he is on the DL because of the knee injury, but what about his hernia/dizziness/menstrual cramps? You know Boras will try to make the contract's full dollar amount hold up by any legal technicality he can possibly find in the contract's language.

Detroit, Maggs, and Borass. They deserve one another.
:cool:

I haven't seen a single source that directly quotes the contract, but what I've gathered from a number of sources including Detroit writers is that the DL stint needs to be knee-related in order to void the deal. All the other crap doesn't mean jack, which is why Maggs is probably limping around saying "Oh,my liver!".

But I'm sure Maggs will be 100% willing to submit to any & all requests for an exam to prove that his issues are not knee-related.

Paulwny
06-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Kinda funny how Maggs was once the nice quiet Harold Baines type of player.

Big Bucks= Big Ego= Big Mouth

Baby Fisk
06-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Tiger fans vent, gnash teeth, shake fists. (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28440)

eriqjaffe
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
he wants to see improvement ? Isn't he supposed to be the improvement ?
:rolling:

ShoelessJoeS
06-16-2005, 03:13 PM
maggs is a heartless chump, why is it that i somehow dont feel sorry for him or the tigers...:?:

:bandance:

MIgrenade
06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
He makes KW look smarter everyday.

dcb33
06-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Tiger fans vent, gnash teeth, shake fists. (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28440)

Whenever I read "friends of Ordonez tell me..." or anything like that I stop reading or completely de-value whatever I read thereafter. It's terrible, hacky journalism from a guy who is notoriously off-base and hacky

Detroit has FOOs?!? Are they spying on us or something? The biggest FOO' in this whole mess was the Tigers idiot GM. Thank God we're not saddled with a moronic GM like that!

So now Magglio is upset that he's not on a contender. Just one question for him: Dearest Magglio, why do you think Detroit gave you all that money? That's right, to help turn them into a contender! :nuts:

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

beckett21
06-16-2005, 06:40 PM
He makes KW look smarter everyday.

And he makes himself look more pathetic and out of touch with reality every day.

Hey, Maggs, why don't you play a couple games before demanding a trade, you moron? *** are they paying you $75 million dollars for anyway? :?:

Is there anyone left around here still pining for this piece of tripe? Good riddance. What a shame, too. I always thought he was one of the good guys. :(:

chuckn98229
06-16-2005, 07:21 PM
"Bob Nightengale is absolutely the worst baseball writer in America. He is clueless."

I really can't believe that there is someone worse than Chicago's very own Moronotti.

doublem23
06-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Is there anyone left around here still pining for this piece of tripe? Good riddance. What a shame, too. I always thought he was one of the good guys. :(:

Agreed... My feelings on Ordonez are night and day from what they were one year ago from now.

ShoelessJoeS
06-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Agreed... My feelings on Ordonez are night and day from what they were one year ago from now.
that pretty much sums it up for me too. i just thank my lucky stars that shwagglio didnt accept our initial offer, no matter how low it was

:bandance:

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 09:30 PM

Anyone need some comic relief? Please read the above.

FarWestChicago
06-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Is there anyone left around here still pining for this piece of tripe?Hangar for sure, no questions asked. Maybe Lip due to his reverence for Borass:

:borass:

Lip knows greatness when he sees it.

PAPChiSox729
06-16-2005, 10:19 PM

Yeah, amazing how much Sox Nation has turned on him... well how much he has turned on us. He really had it coming to him. I could care less what he does for the rest of his career.

BridgePortNative
06-16-2005, 10:41 PM
The Tigers' GM thought this was a smart deal, they made a gamble with the oft-injured Pudge, signing to a large contract also, so to them it was smart. :rolleyes:

SoxSpeed22
06-16-2005, 11:16 PM
The Tigers' GM thought this was a smart deal, they made a gamble with the oft-injured Pudge, signing to a large contract also, so to them it was smart. :rolleyes:You win some you lose some.

Flight #24
06-16-2005, 11:39 PM
You win some you lose some.

Unfortunately for the Tigers, that's OK if you're playing the MLB contract equivalent of nickel poker. But when your equivalent game is Russian Roulette......

That's what the Maggs deal can do to them. Especially with the NHL likely to be back, does anyone REALLY think Mike Ilitch will say "no harm, no foul - try again" on a contract that big?

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
How would the QT column in the Sun-Times handle this?

:maggs
I would love it if the Tigers traded me to the Cubs─

QT
Oh, be quiet.

StillMissOzzie
06-17-2005, 02:42 AM
If this story is true, then it's obvious that Maggs didn't learn anything from Pay-Rod's years in Texas, thanks to his agent Boras. Boras couldn't care less about the team, as long as he gets his pound of flesh for his client. And just like Texas, the Tigers are severely limited on further improvements due to the burden of Maggs' contract, again just like Pay-Rod.

One way or another the Tigers are gonna pay for this contract-either by delivering truckloads of money to Maggs, (unless he actually does end up on the DL with a knee-related injury), -or- they're gonna eat a big portion of this contract to trade Maggs, assuming he ever gets healthy enough to showcase his skills.

SMO
:gulp:

Chisox003
06-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Anyone need some comic relief? Please read the above.

"Don't let the door hit you Mags.
Horrible FA Signing. Just plain horrible. The sad part is that the majority of the fan base knew it way back when he was signed to the contract.
Can we just dump him on the Yankees for a PTBNL?"

:roflmao:

Which fanbase, the Sox or Tigers? :gulp:

Muopsies
06-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Does anyone else think there will be a battle this offseason between Detroit's owners adn Magglio over his salary? I see no reason why he should get paid. Its been well over 6 weeks now and still nothing from him. Everyone knows why's he's hurt. Sports hernia my rear.

Iwritecode
06-17-2005, 10:04 AM

Juan Gonzales keeps finding work, so Magglio has some hope... :cool:

Foulke You
06-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Juan Gonzales keeps finding work, so Magglio has some hope... :cool:
Don't forget that Royce Clayton and his agent manage to swindle a contract out of a GM every year AND land him a starting job. By all means, there is hope for Maggs LOL.