PDA

View Full Version : Sidebar to WSCR Announcement Thread: Who should be the WSCR pre/post host?

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Now that we know where the White Sox are going, one matter to be resolved is who will be the host for the White Sox pregame and postgame shows?

Sad
06-16-2005, 09:52 AM
I'd give J. Hood the nod...

SOXPHILE
06-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh, definatly Mike Murphy. Yeah, Jay Hood might be good, but I honestly can't think of anyone else there. Maybe they'll "import" someone ?

Sox-on-TV44
06-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Unless Dave Wills comes back from Tampa Bay,I say J. Hood.

skottyj242
06-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Wouldn't Brian still do it? He's employed by the Sox not ESPN right?

cheeses_h_rice
06-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Mike Murphy.

The thought of that guy choking on Sox talk 162x a year = comedy gold.

:bandance:

whitesoxwilkes
06-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Wouldn't Brian still do it? He's employed by the Sox not ESPN right?

Nope. Pre and post hosts are employed by the station.

downstairs
06-16-2005, 10:18 AM
I'd give J. Hood the nod...

Ugh. He's sort of a hack, I think...

How about Steve Stone!?

tebman
06-16-2005, 10:18 AM
mekon.

Rocklive99
06-16-2005, 10:32 AM
I kind of feel bad for Brian...

How about Lawrence Holmes? Or Holmes and Hood, they're both Sox fans. I hope they still keep pre and post game shows for that matter...

wdelaney72
06-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I feel bad for Bryan. I think his heart is in the right place and he's definitely improved since the season started, but overall I don't find the post game show very enjoyable.

What kills me is how many times he says "Chicago White Sox" when he could very easily say "the Sox". It just not very comfortable. Wills was a very comfortable listen. He talked in a very conversational manner and just had a more pleasing radio voice.

J. Hood or Holmes would be fine. I'll take Holmes over J. Hood.

Tough break for Bryan.

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2005, 10:55 AM
I know she's now in the bakery business, but it would really make me happy if they were to bring back Julie Swieca to co-hostess with Lawrence Holmes.

Brian26
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Ugh. He's sort of a hack, I think...

Agreed. Hood should be working college radio.

Brian26
06-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I feel bad for Bryan. I think his heart is in the right place and he's definitely improved since the season started, but overall I don't find the post game show very enjoyable.

What kills me is how many times he says "Chicago White Sox" when he could very easily say "the Sox". It just not very comfortable. Wills was a very comfortable listen. He talked in a very conversational manner and just had a more pleasing radio voice.

J. Hood or Holmes would be fine. I'll take Holmes over J. Hood.

Tough break for Bryan.

Bryan seems like a nice guy, but I honestly haven't listened to one of his postgame shows since April. As soon as the game is over, I just turn off the tv/radio.

tebman
06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
What kills me is how many times he says "Chicago White Sox" when he could very easily say "the Sox". It just not very comfortable.

Tough break for Bryan.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that. He always, sometimes repeatedly in the same sentence, says "The Chicago White Sox," instead of just "the White Sox" or "the Sox." It's an annoyance to me too.

Reminds me of a comedian I heard one time doing a riff on famous names. He asked why it was that he always saw references to "Bozo The Clown." Is there some concern that we might get him confused with "Bozo The Pope" or "Bozo The District Attorney?" Just calling him "Bozo" makes it pretty clear who they're talking about. Likewise on a pre- and post-game White Sox baseball broadcast, it should be pretty clear that if one refers to "the Sox," the listeners will know who's being referenced.

elrod
06-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Dolgin - "Yesterday the Chicago White Sox scored 10 Chicago White Sox runners in the 6th inning of a Chicago White Sox baseball game at US Cellular Field to beat the Arizona Diamondbacks for a final score of: the Chicago White Sox 12 - the Arizona Diamondbacks 6. So the Chicago White Sox salvaged the last game of the series, meaning the Chicago White Sox have not been swept by another non-Chicago White Sox team." Or something like that. Dolgin is odd.

skottyj242
06-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I thought I was the only one who noticed that. He always, sometimes repeatedly in the same sentence, says "The Chicago White Sox," instead of just "the White Sox" or "the Sox." It's an annoyance to me too.

Reminds me of a comedian I heard one time doing a riff on famous names. He asked why it was that he always saw references to "Bozo The Clown." Is there some concern that we might get him confused with "Bozo The Pope" or "Bozo The District Attorney?" Just calling him "Bozo" makes it pretty clear who they're talking about. Likewise on a pre- and post-game White Sox baseball broadcast, it should be pretty clear that if one refers to "the Sox," the listeners will know who's being referenced.

I think that was a Seinfeld bit.

Lip Man 1
06-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Two words....Bill Melton.

Good voice, obviously knows the game and isn't afraid to speak his mind.

Lip

eriqjaffe
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Dolgin's OK, he just doesn't always seem to know when to hang up on people. I remember, a month or so ago, he let a very inebriated caller spend nearly TEN MINUTES of airtime talking about how great Wrigley is. Brian tried his best to trip the guy up and convince him to see a game at the Cell, but it was like reasoning with a...um...drunk Cub fan. It was funny for a minute, but Brian just kept letting the guy talk and talk and talk. He is improving, though.

But what I wouldn't give to hear Dolgin refer to a caller as a "drillrod".

tebman
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Dolgin - "Yesterday the Chicago White Sox scored 10 Chicago White Sox runners in the 6th inning of a Chicago White Sox baseball game at US Cellular Field to beat the Arizona Diamondbacks for a final score of: the Chicago White Sox 12 - the Arizona Diamondbacks 6. So the Chicago White Sox salvaged the last game of the series, meaning the Chicago White Sox have not been swept by another non-Chicago White Sox team." Or something like that. Dolgin is odd.
Yup. That sounds about right.

Not to beat up on Bryan though. Apart from that "Chicago White Sox" quirk, I think he does a pretty good job. If it turns out that he doesn't get the WSCR gig after the move, it really is a tough break.

BTW, my sons and I got a Bryan Dolgin bobblehead doll (no, I'm not kidding) at a Joliet Jackhammers game a few weeks ago. Why on Earth they did that, especially after he doesn't work there anymore, is a mystery to me. But the bobblehead makes a nice, if surreal, addition to my small collection of baseball swag. :cool:

cheeses_h_rice
06-16-2005, 11:20 AM

I agree that there is a lot of circular logic going on during Dolgin's postgame show. It's as if he's broadcasting assuming everyone just tuned in 2 seconds ago, so he feels the need to constantly refresh peoples' memories of what happened during the game.

The sign of a great broadcaster is that you forget that the person is speaking to a large group of listeners. Wills was excellent at just delivering.

slavko
06-16-2005, 11:58 AM
I am sorry for the passionless Bryan losing the gig, but the answer is Holmes (my dear Watson.) He has passion, radio skills, is a fan of the right team, and needs a permanent slot on the station.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 12:22 PM

Ever considered that it may be part of an effort to solidify public perception of the White Sox as Chicago's team?

ChiSoxRowand
06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Laurence Holmes.

MtEverett
06-16-2005, 01:16 PM
OB and doug

I love them after bear games

Sad
06-16-2005, 01:23 PM
OB and doug

:tealpolice: step out of the vehicle sir

wdelaney72
06-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Ever considered that it may be part of an effort to solidify public perception of the White Sox as Chicago's team?

I highly doubt that it's conscious with him. And if it is and the reason is as you state, it's a real reach.

Intentional or not, it's very annoying.

As I said before, I think Bryan is well prepared and cares about the team, it's just not a comfortable listen.

elrod
06-16-2005, 01:36 PM

No, I don't think that's it. I think he just sees it as the professional thing to call the team by its full name. Because he isn't comfortable in his gig yet, he doesn't know when he can loosen up and call them "the Sox", or "we", or "the guys" or some other adjective. I don't mind Dolgin but sometimes it's very uncomfortable listening to him.

TornLabrum
06-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Yup. That sounds about right.

Not to beat up on Bryan though. Apart from that "Chicago White Sox" quirk, I think he does a pretty good job. If it turns out that he doesn't get the WSCR gig after the move, it really is a tough break.

BTW, my sons and I got a Bryan Dolgin bobblehead doll (no, I'm not kidding) at a Joliet Jackhammers game a few weeks ago. Why on Earth they did that, especially after he doesn't work there anymore, is a mystery to me. But the bobblehead makes a nice, if surreal, addition to my small collection of baseball swag. :cool:

The promotion was set up before Bryan moved to the Sox broadcasts.

dcb33
06-16-2005, 04:04 PM
OB and doug

They're only good after the Bears lose, which means they're good after most Bears games. Unfortunately, the Sox aren't complete losers unlike Chicago's pathetic excuse for an NFL team. Besides, Doug and OB are worthless unless they are talking about the horrible lickings they took with all those miserable late 60's-early 70's Bears...

Dick Allen
06-16-2005, 04:09 PM
They're only good after the Bears lose, which means they're good after most Bears games. Unfortunately, the Sox aren't complete losers unlike Chicago's pathetic excuse for an NFL team. Besides, Doug and OB are worthless unless they are talking about the horrible lickings they took with all those miserable late 60's-early 70's Bears...Besides, Buffone is a Cub fan.

I want Mags back
06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
I kind of feel bad for Brian...

How about Lawrence Holmes? Or Holmes and Hood, they're both Sox fans. I hope they still keep pre and post game shows for that matter...

Lawrence Holmes- Homewood-Flossmoor Broadcating alum, all right

I like Mike north but i dint think jhe is awake when games end at ten
j-hood's cool too

tebman
06-16-2005, 04:13 PM
I like Mike north but i dint think jhe is awake when games end at ten
j-hood's cool too

Eh? :?:

MtEverett
06-16-2005, 04:19 PM
OB and doug

I was just kiddin; I actually have no idea why buffone is still on the air.
As well as jesse rogers. Please, anybody but jesse rogers for pre/post.
It will be hood, he always had sox post game when he had his nightly
show years ago...

DickAllen72
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Two words....Bill Melton.

Good voice, obviously knows the game and isn't afraid to speak his mind.

Lip

I'll second that! :gulp:

Palehose13
06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
I know she's now in the bakery business, but it would really make me happy if they were to bring back Julie Swieca to co-hostess with Lawrence Holmes.

I second this!

ChiSoxRowand
06-16-2005, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=MtEverett]As well as jesse rogers. Please, anybody but jesse rogers for pre/post.
QUOTE]

He did do Hawks pre/post, so he could be an option, although a bad one. He also says he is a "Cubs and a Sox fan".

Mark'sBrokenFoot
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Dolgin drives me nuts every time he says Jared's, the Galleria of "Jew-La-Ry." They sell jewels, not jewlas. Other than that, he's ok. I'd rather see him come on over to the score with the Sox as all of their current hosts are sorta retarded. Especially Hood, there is no way a postgame show is going to fly if you aren't allowed to take a shot at the sCrubs. What kind of Sox fan gets upset when you badmouth the northsiders, anyway? Closet wrigley fan...

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I second this!

Can I third the motion??:dunno:

Palehose13
06-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Can I third the motion??:dunno:
Most definitely.
I miss Julie. It's nice to hear an intelligent woman talk about sports instead of the clueless eye candy that the networks send out.

slavko
06-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Most definitely.
I miss Julie. It's nice to hear an intelligent woman talk about sports instead of the clueless eye candy that the networks send out.

She can be clueless, too. She once explained to a caller that the cutter breaks in the opposite direction as a curve or slider, when we all know it breaks in the same direction, but less. Plus she and Laurence is one host too many. Anyone chosen will be compared to Willsy and thus they will be at a big disadvantage before they start.

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 08:41 PM
I say go with Laurence "Don't call me Larry" Holmes.

JoseCanseco6969
06-16-2005, 08:44 PM
What kills me is how many times he says "Chicago White Sox" when he could very easily say "the Sox". It just not very comfortable.

My thoughts exactly!!! Like we dont know the White Sox come from Chicago or are confused which Sox he might be talking about. I figured he did it to take up air time because he had nothing else to analyze. He seems like a tool and I will not miss him at all!

WagMan
06-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Steve Rosenbloom's got my vote!

MrRoboto83
06-16-2005, 11:31 PM
http://images.radcity.net/5176/958891.jpg"Come on Guys, The Chicago White Sox are the best team in baseball, they need the best pre-post gamer ever, that would be me, please don't send me back to Joliet"

guillen4life13
06-17-2005, 12:26 AM
My vote goes to Hangar.

skobabe8
06-17-2005, 12:37 AM
My vote goes to Mayor Daley.

clee-hegone
06-17-2005, 12:44 AM
definately hood and holmes. hood deserves it over the whole telander debacle.

SoxFanTillDeath
06-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Carl Everett...he always has something to say.

Palehose13
06-17-2005, 11:23 AM
definately hood and holmes. hood deserves it over the whole telander debacle.

Off topic...but what the heck happened with Telander?

slavko
06-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Off topic...but what the heck happened with Telander?
Telander quit on the spur of the moment. That's their story and they're sticking to it. IMHO Hood belongs on a regular show with a co-host where his comedic talents can be fully utilized, not on pre-post. Holmes is the man, solo.

PBRWarrior
06-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Telander quit on the spur of the moment. That's their story and they're sticking to it. IMHO Hood belongs on a regular show with a co-host where his comedic talents can be fully utilized, not on pre-post. Holmes is the man, solo.

I totally agree. I have been a long time scorehead and I really belive the talents of the one JHood have repeatedly been kicked aside by Score Management. JHood definatly belongs on a regular show as a headliner. I really enjoyed the Me and Z show with Holmes. I also like the fact that he has always made it very clear that he is a diehard sox fan and he makes that very clear everytime baseball in this town is brought up.

BigEdWalsh
06-17-2005, 01:38 PM
I hope it's no one currently affiliated with the Score. They ALL suck. Please bring in an outsider, either hire Melton or maybe some other pasdt player.