PDA

View Full Version : Best Games of This Year (so far)

LoganSox
06-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Last night's game was pretty incredible, and with a 5-game lead heading into latter June, there's guaranteed to be plenty of high-intensity games in the coming months...so lest we forget, what do you think have been the absolute best/most important games so far?

1. El Duque shutting down the Twinkies in their home opener
2. Garland mastering the O's, whiffing Tejada
3. Garland's gem in San Diego
4. Garcia's domination of the scrubs...so satisfying
5. Timo's 9th innning hit against the Angels

that's off the top of my head, perusing the schedule...

elrod
06-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Best performances/games of the year:

Rowand's 10th inning HR off Hoffman in SD.
Game Two: 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th against Wickman
Garcia retires 22 in a row in Coors Field
Garland whiffs Tejada
Buehrle shuts down Seattle in 1 hour and 39 minutes

While we're at it, the worst losses of the year:
Game Three: Shingo blows it in the 9th
3-2 loss at Anaheim on McPherson's HR
2-1 loss at SD
Viz gives up 3-run HR to Dubois at Wrigley
2nd loss at TB after blowing 7th inning lead

Sad
06-16-2005, 10:47 AM
one game I recall being at this year was May 5 vs. KC...

seems like we really stuggled to get hits/ on base :angry: then in the 8th inning we got 2 runs off 2 bases-loaded walks and it was Shingo-time :D:

certainly not a "best" game but a memorable one more so...

Jurr
06-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Best performances/games of the year:

Game Two: 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th against Wickman
Garcia retires 22 in a row in Coors Field
Garland whiffs Tejada
Buehrle shuts down Seattle in 1 hour and 39 minutes

While we're at it, the worst losses of the year:
Game Three: Shingo blows it in the 9th
3-2 loss at Anaheim on McPherson's HR
2-1 loss at SD
Viz gives up 3-run HR to Dubois at Wrigley
2nd loss at TB after blowing 7th inning lead
We're forgetting the big win against KC when Damaso made the huge tag at the plate.
I also think the Twins' home opener, when El Duque kept wriggling out of trouble to beat them. That set the tone against Minnesota.

cleanwsox
06-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I'd have to say the back to back jacks off of Wickman would have to be the best so far. So many good moments, but that game showed the kind of heart the Sox team has had all year.

ondafarm
06-16-2005, 10:55 AM
IMHO Garcia's 2-hit gem in Colorado, even though he fell behind in the first, or maybe because of it, would place on my top five list.

Sxy Mofo
06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
1. Garcia retires 22 rockies in a row at coors.
2. Contreras, cotts hold rockies to 1 run.
3. 10 runs in the final two innings at coors, frank thomas hits homer to deep center.

What? Sue me. These are the most important to me.

BRDSR
06-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Favorite Game of the Year: Buerhle goes the distance giving up a single run on three hits, all to Ichiro Suzuki in a 2-1 win against the Mariners at U.S. Cellular Field. Paul Konerko hits two solo home runs, providing just enough offense to win.

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Favorite Game of the Year: Buerhle goes the distance giving up a single run on three hits, all to Ichiro Suzuki in a 2-1 win against the Mariners at U.S. Cellular Field. Paul Konerko hits two solo home runs, providing just enough offense to win.

Yep, that was the first of the 10 games I've been to so far this year...That happened to be the one he completed in 1:39. The double period Algebra I class that I taught this year is even longer than that!!! He was wheeling and dealing the entire game, and the crowd was great as well!

I'd have to say Timo's hit in the 9th inning in that Memorial Day game was the most electric I've ever felt at the stadium this year...Even more than Carl Everett's second home run against the Twins that Monday night game in mid-April (and yes, that was a TOWERING home run, which all but slammed the door on Minnesota's hopes).

chisoxmike
06-16-2005, 12:19 PM
My favorite games so far...

4/4 vs. Indians: Opening Day Brillance
4/16 vs Mariners: Buehrle dominance
4/18 vs Twins: Carl Everett takes care of the Twins
5/21 vs Cubs: Patterson drops the ball!
6/12 vs Padres: Big comback win

Worst games:

4/26 vs A's: Jermaine Dye at SS, enough said
4/29 vs Tigers: 16 men left on base, bases loaded in the 9th with 0 outs, lose 3-2
5/23 vs. Angles: Ervin Santana and his 13.00 ERA shuts us down

elrod
06-16-2005, 12:24 PM
My favorite games so far...

4/4 vs. Indians: Opening Day Brillance
4/16 vs Mariners: Buehrle dominance
4/18 vs Twins: Carl Everett takes care of the Twins
5/21 vs Cubs: Patterson drops the ball!
6/12 vs Padres: Big comback win

Worst games:

4/26 vs A's: Jermaine Dye at SS, enough said
4/29 vs Tigers: 16 men left on base, bases loaded in the 9th with 0 outs, lose 3-2
5/23 vs. Angles: Ervin Santana and his 13.00 ERA shuts us down

I wouldn't include the Ervin Santana game only because he is obviously a better pitcher than his Cleveland debut suggests. It was just bad scouting and a great performance by Santana. Lost in it all was that Garland pitched a great game, even though he got the loss.

The first A's loss with Buehrle pitching was worse than the second loss because we had a 7-4 lead in the 7th. The last game (Crede's non-HBP) was bizarre and angering but it wasn't a game that we had in the bag.

You are absolutely right about the Detroit game. Funny thing is the day afterwards the Sox almost did it again, but then put up 3 runs in the 7th and won.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
1. Garcia retires 22 rockies in a row at coors.
2. Contreras, cotts hold rockies to 1 run.
3. 10 runs in the final two innings at coors, frank thomas hits homer to deep center.

What? Sue me. These are the most important to me.

Have to agree, for the same reasons. I'd put Thomas's HR game first though; that was the most exciting moment for me, even though sweeping the series was more important overall.

kittle42
06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
I can think of 43 really great games. :cool:

BaseballTonyght
06-16-2005, 01:04 PM
For me personally... the best day of the year is the day after a White Sox winner.

Feels good! :D:

brewcrew/chisox
06-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Sox Dodgers Friday, June 17th, 2005. After a beautiful sunny afternoon drinking beers, playing bean bag and eating brats in the parking lot with my friends, I get to my seat exactly 10 minutes before game time. I have beer in hand, the stands slowly filling up as the last waning rays of the sun warm my already sunkissed face. The first inning sets the tone for the rest of the game, as MB promptly strikes out the side in the first, and slowly goes on to pitch a one hour 45 minute complete game shutout. Big Frank hits two homeruns, Spods steals 2, and Rowand makes a diving catch over the center field wall to save a run. Even the otherwise mediocre Joe Crede goes 4 for 4 with two doubles and HBP (uncontested). I buy a Sox split, which I eventually win, disproving my former theory that the game is rigged and that no one ever wins. I blow half of my winnings on an after game party for me and my friends....Perhaps a Penthouse room at the Palmer house? and the other half I place in a savings account to spend on Sox Playoff/WorldSeries tickets in October. The Sox go on to win 7-0 on that day, eventually sweeping the Dodgers as a small symbolic revenge for the defeat in 59.

SkeetSkeetAmit
06-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I won't forget the Jermaine Dye HR in the 9th vs. the Angels for the 2nd straight game of 9th inning amazement.

Or the back-to-back HR's by Konerko and Dye against the Indians in the beginning of the season.

SoxSpeed22
06-16-2005, 03:15 PM
I'd have to go with opening day. Buehrle and Shingo shut out Cleveland and the 4 wins against Minnesota.:redneck
:threadrules:

socko82
06-16-2005, 04:43 PM
What about game 2 at "The Shrine?" Sox come back with 4 in the 8th to beat the Flubs....

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 04:45 PM

The fact that it occured June 12th,on my birthday,
makes this my # 1 choice.:cool:

Sxy Mofo
06-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Have to agree, for the same reasons. I'd put Thomas's HR game first though; that was the most exciting moment for me, even though sweeping the series was more important overall.

The reason I put it third... though the crowd went crazy, is that the most important aspect of that series was garcia and contreras/cotts pitching performances.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-16-2005, 06:22 PM
The reason I put it third... though the crowd went crazy, is that the most important aspect of that series was garcia and contreras/cotts pitching performances.

Agreed. I rank the Thomas HR game high for purely sentimental reasons. The first two definitely were better games for the team.

mike squires
06-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Gotta go with Timo's hit in the 9th. One, I was there, two, it was my daughters first game and three I thought we were done for. I was so dejected when Carle struck out when all we needed was a pop fly. Of all the games I've been to in my life it was the first when in the bottom of the ninth. I take that back. Walker hit a sac fly once in 86 that scored Baines but it was nowhere near the dramatics the game this year provided! Number 2 would be the Dye homer off Wickman. I had tears in my eyes with the TV at full volume.:cool:

Buehrle_Man56
06-16-2005, 11:41 PM
10 run 6th inning vs. D'Backs...*Sigh* I love the Cell and the Sox.:wink:

BNLSox
06-17-2005, 10:07 PM
First of all the predictions on today's game against the Dodgers have been incredibly close through 7 innings....Crazzzzy!

I've been able to see two games in person on the ol' Left Coast. Both were Buerhle starts, one in Anaheim, one in San Diego. The first we went on to win in extras, the second we all know resulted in a loss and blown save for Hermanson.

Despite both being very weak offensive showings, the DOMINANCE of the defense and pitching were such a delight to witness and both games will remain with me for a long time.

Hopefully my next game will be a 10-0 victory so that I won't die of cardiac arrest during the late innings!!

GO SOX!!

wdelaney72
06-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I liked tonight's game (6/17/05).

1) Buehrle pitches a complete game shut-out.
2) Big Frank nails a HR.
3) Buehrle pitches a complete game shut-out.

MRKARNO
06-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Why April 16th was the best game of the year:

1. Buehrle pitches CG
2. Buehrle strikes out 12 batters, a career high
3. Buehrle gives up 3 hits to Ichiro and no-hits the rest of the team
4. Konerko hit 2 HRs
5. The game was a 1-run game
6. The only M's run came on a triple off of home plate by Ichiro
7. It was the fastest game in the majors in years
8. Ryan Franklin pitched well too
9. White Sox winner.

PAPChiSox729
06-17-2005, 11:51 PM
I liked tonight's game (6/17/05).

1) Buehrle pitches a complete game shut-out.
2) Big Frank nails a HR.
3) Buehrle pitches a complete game shut-out.

4) Pods steals 3 bags.

I don't think this was the best game, it was pretty good though. Buehrle's CG against Seattle was the best, IMO. Why? See MRKARNO's post.

DSpivack
06-18-2005, 03:17 AM
10 run 6th inning vs. D'Backs...*Sigh* I love the Cell and the Sox.:wink:

I agree, although I am biased as that my just my second game of the year [Monday night being my first]. The first game was a dissapointment but I've seen 2 games and 2 Frank HRs!

NWSox
06-18-2005, 04:17 AM
The April 16th Buehrle win in 1:39 and the Memorial Day comeback are my two favorites. I also wanted to mention Buehrle's last decision before tonight - 5/18 against Texas. Sox won 7-0 on Dye's 3 2Bs. But the big story was Buehrle "being Buehrle" by grinding out a shutout win despite giving up 9 hits. Buehrle left with one out in the eighth to a standing o by an appreciative crowd at the Cell.

MUsoxfan
06-18-2005, 04:25 AM
Opening Day has been the best game of the year by far. The ONE GAME summed up our year right off the bat (no pun intended). Win or die trying. We won 1-0 on an unearned run. If that doesn't sum up the attitude for the year, I don't know what does.

ode to veeck
06-18-2005, 07:49 AM
I like the way Burly-mon finished tonight, strong through the 9th then blowing away the 27th out with gas down the middle.

Some of my favorite moments in recent weeks were the return of Hurt, like his 1st 5 HRs of '05.

The DPs last night were also great; like as fast as the Dodgers ripped a single, the bases were emptied again.

Reminds me of 83
06-18-2005, 11:26 AM
For me, the two best games of the year was the Friday afternoon game at Wrigley which set the tone for the Series and the Orioles game where Garland dominated. Both games were hugely important and demonstrated to the team and the fans that this was indeed a different kind of year. Plus, I was at both, which helps.

Record with me (and my lucky green hat in attendance) 6-2. Bring on the Cubs.:gulp: