PDA

View Full Version : Strangest White Sox merchandise?

anewman35
06-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Since it's an off day and I'm bored, I was wondering - what's the strangest White Sox merchandise you own (or have at least seen)?

Mine's got to be something I just picked up yesterday - a White Sox house key, $2.48 at Home Depot. They have key blanks with White Sox logos (as well as some other teams and designs) and they'll cut it to whatever key you want. I can't believe such a thing exists, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying finding a new place to carry a Sox logo.

Baby Fisk
06-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Someone once posted a link to a Sox bottle opener that plays Hawk saying "You can put it on the boooooarrrrrd....YES!" everytime you open a bottle. :cool:

anewman35
06-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Someone once posted a link to a Sox bottle opener that plays Hawk saying "You can put it on the boooooarrrrrd....YES!" everytime you open a bottle. :cool:

My sister has one of those. It's entertaining, except for the part where he mentions Jose Valentin in the call. Oh well.

ode to veeck
06-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey do these still exist? anyone got a current link?

HAR-OLD
06-16-2005, 09:41 AM
everyone in my family has one of those bottle openers,

it's actually hawk's call from jose's game winning homer off of alfonseca, probably my favorite highlight from the last few playoff-less years

but sorry i dont remember where we got them, i bet you could find them at least on ebay though if nowhere else

Paxson93
06-16-2005, 09:44 AM
I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond (Chgo Ridge Mall).

They're on Ebay too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25132&item=5209210932&rd=1

chaerulez
06-16-2005, 09:48 AM
At Tuesday's game I saw someone wearing a Kelly Wunsch jersey and I found that strange. It's the first time I ever saw a jersey for a non closing relief pitcher. I had no idea they actually made Wunsch jerseys...

batmanZoSo
06-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I saw a talking Hawk Harrelson home pregnancy test in the drugstore.

"My expertise says it's gonna be twins. Mercy!"

skottyj242
06-16-2005, 12:16 PM
I got my bottle opener in a liquor store, I just saw it behind the counter and picked it up. I think they're pretty common around the area, I've seen then multiple times.

Oh yeah I fogot eventhough it's not Sox related I saw a guy at the game last night wearing an upmire's jacket complete with a number. I found that really strange but somewhat cool, I wonder where he got it.

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 12:20 PM
I picked up a White Sox cookbook this year. I thought it was pretty weird, but i still love it.

I also got a cassette tape of "Nancy's Greatest Hits."

Medford Bobby
06-16-2005, 12:34 PM
:smile: I have one of those official White Sox "Mini-knife, or maybe it's called a pen knife"...It has a early '70s Sox logo pin on button connected to a leahter strap to hold your little knife. I remember as a kid buying it circa 73 or 74.........this would be considered a weapon today and Sox security would hog tie you if you try to hi-jack a beer stand!!!:gulp:

1951Campbell
06-16-2005, 01:09 PM
My Dan Pasqua "water pipe."

FedEx227
06-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Pro Jersey in Downers Grove has 1,000 of those stupid bottle openers, they also have a Cubs one that my uncle feels some need to play for me about 45 times when I'm at his house.

Brian26
06-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I picked up a White Sox cookbook this year. I thought it was pretty weird, but i still love it.

Is that the one the wives put out back in 2001? I picked that up at the garage sale. Some of the recipes in there are actually humorous. I mean, who wouldn't want to eat "Hard" Art Kusyner's "Decadent Pecan Brownie Surprise?"

ChiSoxRowand
06-16-2005, 01:40 PM

I have one, the only thing is he says Jose Valentin.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-16-2005, 01:46 PM
At Tuesday's game I saw someone wearing a Kelly Wunsch jersey and I found that strange. It's the first time I ever saw a jersey for a non closing relief pitcher. I had no idea they actually made Wunsch jerseys...

It could have been a real jersey from a Garage Sale or a custom jersey.

Mine has to be a SOX belt buckle or a Frank Thomas nesting doll.

FedEx227
06-16-2005, 01:48 PM
yeah, what a shame :(... but at least you can forever remember Stash's late-inning greatness.

Paulwny
06-16-2005, 02:05 PM
A few x-masses ago, one of my children gave me a statue of Santa dressed in black and white with the sox logo across his chest.

ChicagoHoosier
06-16-2005, 02:10 PM
I have the bottle opener as well. I didn't realize it was the winning homer vs. the Cubs until this year when I was listening to the hype before the series. So, now I like it more than before considering it's Valentin's shot Hawk is calling

GregoryEtc
06-16-2005, 02:10 PM
On my White Sox merchandise wishlist:

Monty Stratton's wooden leg
Joe Jackson's library card
Jerry Manual's "World's Greatest Coach" coffee mug

PaleHoseGeorge
06-16-2005, 02:15 PM
I have the bottle opener as well. I didn't realize it was the winning homer vs. the Cubs until this year when I was listening to the hype before the series. So, now I like it more than before considering it's Valentin's shot Hawk is calling

I've got the same bottle opener. It makes drinking my beer much more enjoyable. And now that I know it's Hawk's call of Valentin's Cub-killing shot, I'll enjoy it even more.
:gulp:

:mkillcub

wdelaney72
06-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Someone started a thread a while ago about a White Sox shower curtain. That's pretty weird.

Not really merchandise, but this summer I'll be building my own set of White Sox Corn Hole Toss.

MUScholar21
06-16-2005, 02:45 PM
First off, Corn Hole is a game you play at 26th and California. And no, that is not supposed to be in teal.

Secondly, you can get the bottle opener at the Cell at all the gift shops (even the Hall of Fame). They are $10 there. You can also order it online here (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1960057&cp&sGroup=MLB&keywords=bottle+opener&searchId=5393707501&clickid=topnav_search_txt&parentPage=search)

joe250
06-16-2005, 02:48 PM
It could have been a real jersey from a Garage Sale or a custom jersey.

There actually was a Wunsch jersey for sale at this year's garage sale. Could have been the same one. I was thinking about picking it up myself, but for $100...eh.

Paulwny
06-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Someone started a thread a while ago about a White Sox shower curtain. That's pretty weird.

Not really merchandise, but this summer I'll be building my own set of White Sox Corn Hole Toss.

2 yrs ago, as a give away, my wife and I were handed Blue Jay shower curtains at a sox/ jay game in Toronto.

Madvora
06-16-2005, 04:54 PM
I think I've seen more than one of the Man Soo Lee jerseys.

chisoxfan64
06-16-2005, 05:02 PM
I have a White Sox candy bar, a lady I worked with bought it for me downtown. I can`t remember the exact year but it was 81, 82 or 83. I have it in the freezer.

tebman
06-16-2005, 05:11 PM
About 20 years ago there was a giveaway promotion sponsored by Kitty Litter (:?: ) -- a musical headband that played "Kiss Him Goodbye." Never understood the connection.

I'm still waiting for the Terry Bevington Bullpen Roulette Game.

Tekijawa
06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
I have a White Sox candy bar, a lady I worked with bought it for me downtown. I can`t remember the exact year but it was 81, 82 or 83. I have it in the freezer.

Will you eat it this year when they win the Series?

chisoxfan64
06-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Will you eat it this year when they win the Series?

Hmmmmmmm, that might be a good idea.

ChiSoxRowand
06-16-2005, 06:33 PM

I did not know that.

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 09:08 PM
First off, Corn Hole is a game you play at 26th and California. And no, that is not supposed to be in teal.

Secondly, you can get the bottle opener at the Cell at all the gift shops (even the Hall of Fame). They are $10 there. You can also order it online here (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1960057&cp&sGroup=MLB&keywords=bottle+opener&searchId=5393707501&clickid=topnav_search_txt&parentPage=search)

Why 26th and california? Is cornhole toss just bean bag toss?

bobelou72
06-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I have a white sox bar of soap It's one of the little hotel bar it has the sox logo on the front cover. If they win the world series I'll use it. :)

Daver
06-16-2005, 09:18 PM
This doesn't count as merchandise, but I have 386 broken floor drain grates from the concourse of New Comiskey Park, all of them changed to heavy duty covers by me and another guy the night before opening day, pulling an all nighter to get it done. Sox management was nice enough to feed us breakfast and give us tickets to the stadiums first game for the effort.

StrTrkker
06-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Since it's an off day and I'm bored, I was wondering - what's the strangest White Sox merchandise you own (or have at least seen)?

Mine's got to be something I just picked up yesterday - a White Sox house key, $2.48 at Home Depot. They have key blanks with White Sox logos (as well as some other teams and designs) and they'll cut it to whatever key you want. I can't believe such a thing exists, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying finding a new place to carry a Sox logo.

The Sox Keys are also available at Walmart by the Auto Department.

Brian26
06-16-2005, 10:54 PM
This doesn't count as merchandise, but I have 386 broken floor drain grates from the concourse of New Comiskey Park, all of them changed to heavy duty covers by me and another guy the night before opening day, pulling an all nighter to get it done. Sox management was nice enough to feed us breakfast and give us tickets to the stadiums first game for the effort.

Do they have the diamond sock logo on them? That's a cool story, by the way. Do they originally busted from foot traffic or getting run over by machinery during construction?

mike squires
06-16-2005, 11:03 PM

Oooh, I bet that was fun! Watching that awful game that is! At least you can always say you were there and even a cooler feeling knowing you contributed to the park!

mike squires
06-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Mine would prolly have to be a plain ol' White sock with Bobby Howry's autograph on in sharpie. hey, I didn't have anything else to get signed!!!:D:

Daver
06-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Do they have the diamond sock logo on them? That's a cool story, by the way. Do they originally busted from foot traffic or getting run over by machinery during construction?

They were broken by the fork lifts they use to move stuff for the concsession stands, the contractor that did the plumbing for New Comiskey was sued over this, as well as other issues.

C-Dawg
06-16-2005, 11:05 PM
I wonder if somewhere there's still a big warehouse full of Gene Lamont refrigerator magnets, which if I recall correctly was supposed to be the promo giveaway for the next game when the strike started in 1994.

Parrothead
06-16-2005, 11:08 PM

I have the sox shower curtain and a sox toliet seat, along with matching bath towels and rug.

mike squires
06-16-2005, 11:09 PM
I saw someone mentioned a shower curtain. I usually do my business in the guest bathroom for some reason. I wouldn't mind making it a "Whitesox" roo, with hand towels, soap, bobbleheads and I've got a book with every WhiteSox card up till '86 to go on the back of the toilet. :D: I use the smiley but I'm being serious.

Cubbiesuck13
06-16-2005, 11:24 PM
If they ever make Flubbie toilet paper that will be my strangest SOX merchandise.

Chez
06-17-2005, 09:22 AM
There actually was a Wunsch jersey for sale at this year's garage sale. Could have been the same one. I was thinking about picking it up myself, but for $100...eh.

If it was Wednesday's game, that was probably my 15 year old son wearing the Kelly Wunsch jersey. A Christmas gift from me purchased at Grandstand. Of course, Kelly was released a couple of months later! We're going to the game Saturday and will try to get Kelly to autograph it.

Milw
06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
The Sox annual garage sale is a great place for random/strange Sox stuff. Sitting in my room here are a splintered bat used in a 1993 game by Ellis Burks, as well as a locker nameplate for Doug Drabek. :D:

I also have a Sox bowling ball. Half of it is a giant Sox logo, the other half has an image of The Cell with "CHICAGO WHITE SOX" superimposed over it. I still have to get it drilled ...

Kuzman
06-17-2005, 01:38 PM

Was it Harry Teinowitz?

anyone wanna buy 2 tickets for the game on the 10th against the Padres?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16122&item=6538830993&rd=1

Dolanski
06-17-2005, 04:06 PM
I was at a party in Wrigleyville and the guys had pool table with cubs and sox balls instead of stripes and solids. Odd, but still very cool.

The oddest thing I actually own is an 83 Winning Ugly Painter's cap. No idea where it came from. I also have two placemats from 83 from Pizza Hut with Julio Cruz and Greg Luzinski on them.

MUScholar21
06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Why 26th and california? Is cornhole toss just bean bag toss?

26th and Cal is where the Cook County Jail is.....:wink:

Yes, it is just bags. You hear it called that in Indiana and Ohio

I'm ssang, and I'm still an IDIOT!
06-17-2005, 04:17 PM

That's really werid. I just did that about a week ago at home depot too. Great stuff.