PDA

View Full Version : How to get Thomas & Everett both playing time

Lillian
06-16-2005, 07:44 AM
What do you think of this possible solution to Ozzie's dilemma of trying to get playing time for both Thomas and Everett? Here are some of the factors with which we are dealing:
Carl is a switch hitter who normally hits for more power from the left side. This year he is hitting for a higher average right handed, perhaps because he is bothered by a some kind of a wrist problem that seems to effect him more left handed. He is not a good defensive player at any position, but can play the outfield. His arm is below average so left field is more suitable for him than right. He doesn't run very well.
Frank just can't risk playing any defense, and it is dangerous for him to run the bases. Perhaps his new approach to hitting, which is to concentrate on the long ball, makes perfect sense for him right now.
Podsednik is really trying to just get on base and steal. It looks like he could continue to do what he has been doing. He is playing much more like he did his rookie year. I now believe him when he says that he tried to hit for power too much last year. Can you imagine him hitting 12 homers, as he did last year, the way he is playing this year? The important thing with him is to keep his legs fresh and keep him healthy.

One solution could be to let Carl play left field to start every third game, or so. Once he gets on, or the game demands a defensive replacement, Pods could pinch run or just take over in left. Puttin Pods in to pinch run for Carl later in that game would be ideal. He gets a chance to steal, and then can play left, for the rest of the game.

Frank will need to be rested two or three times a week, so Carl can DH for him, and then Frank would be available to pinch hit.

Using the three players in that way should keep all of them fresh, and still get them plenty of playing time. And if anyone gets injured, we have a ready replacement. Best of all, the days that Pods sits, we have a great pinch runner, and the day that Frank or Carl sit, we have a great pinch hitter, one from the right side, and one from either side, with the switch hitting Everett.

It doesn't seem to me that this is really much of a dilemma after all. What do you think?

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 08:22 AM
I don't think Pods should sit every third game. Moreover, even an "average" Frank is equal to or better than Everett at his best. Plus, Frank's been a monster with his 1.321 OPS for 2005 and a scalding 1.786 during the last week! By comparison, Everett has a .771 OPS for 2005 and 1.071 during the last week. Frank clearly is the most dangerous and the hottest hitter on the team right now, so IMHO Frank needs to be in the lineup as much as possible.

I think something like this works better:

Frank sits once per week to allow Everett to DH.

Pods, Dye and Rowand each sit one day per week to allow Everett to play left.

Everett starts four times per week: one at DH and three in left. Pods can play center twice per week when he doesn't play left, and Rowand can play right once per week when Dye sits.

"Base" lineup (2-3x/week): Frank DH, Pods LF, Rowand CF, Dye RF
Alternate 1: Frank DH, Everett LF, Rowand CF, Dye RF
Alternate 2: Frank DH, Everett LF, Pods CF, Dye RF
Alternate 3: Frank DH, Everett LF, Pods CF, Rowand RF
Alternate 4: Everett DH, Pods LF, Rowand CF, Dye RF

This has the added benefit of making Timo Perez the odd man out. :bandance:

hold2dibber
06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
I don't think Pods should sit every third game. Moreover, even an "average" Frank is equal to or better than Everett at his best. Plus, Frank's been a monster with his 1.321 OPS for 2005 and a scalding 1.786 during the last week! By comparison, Everett has a .771 OPS for 2005 and 1.071 during the last week. Frank clearly is the most dangerous and the hottest hitter on the team right now, so IMHO Frank needs to be in the lineup as much as possible.

Everett starts four times per week: one at DH and three in left. Pods can play center twice per week when he doesn't play left, and Rowand can play right once per week when Dye sits.

BINGO!

CYGarland20
06-16-2005, 02:31 PM

This has the added benefit of making Timo Perez the odd man out. :bandance: I'll 2nd that :D:

Rocky Soprano
06-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Good idea.

ShoelessJoeS
06-16-2005, 03:03 PM

this is the best equation for success

Risk
06-16-2005, 03:05 PM

Brilliant!:gulp:

Risk

elrod
06-16-2005, 03:12 PM
I assume the matchups with the opposing starting pitcher would dictate which alternative scenario you'd use. With a lefty, we could sit Pods more often, for example.

Sargeant79
06-16-2005, 03:13 PM

Those are all very good ideas. I agree for the most part, however I think resting each outfielder once a week may be a bit too much. I think you have to look at how each person is playing...for example, if Jermaine Dye has a hot week, why sit him?

Also, I think Pods needs to be in the lineup as much as possible. He is a vital catalyst in this offense...things don't seem to work as well when he's out of the game.

Finally, I think counting on Frank to DH six days a week is a bit too optimistic. He may not be durable enough to go that often. How about penciling him in for 5 days a week at DH with Carl getting the other two starts, then using Frank as a late inning pinch hitter on his days off? This will also result in fewer required days off for Pods, ARow, and Dye.

Anyone else agree or am I overestimating the value of our regular outfielders?

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Of course you do the rotation according to matchups. Against lefties with particularly good pickoff moves and/or short, quick throwing motions, Pods would be more likely to sit. The "Frank sits" option would be used more against pitchers against whom he historically has struggled. You don't play Carl in the outfield in stadiums with massive outfields like Comerica, either. This type of "platoon" system is flexible enough to allow tactical/situational substitution, while still keeping one "starter-quality" player in reserve for pinch hit/pinch run duties every single game.

Evman5
06-16-2005, 06:17 PM

Send it to Ozzie!

RallyBowl
06-16-2005, 06:23 PM
:timo: I don't think Pods should sit every third game. Moreover, even an "average" Frank is equal to or better than Everett at his best. Plus, Frank's been a monster with his 1.321 OPS for 2005 and a scalding 1.786 during the last week! By comparison, Everett has a .771 OPS for 2005 and 1.071 during the last week. Frank clearly is the most dangerous and the hottest hitter on the team right now, so IMHO Frank needs to be in the lineup as much as possible.

This has the added benefit of making Timo Perez the odd man out. :bandance:*sniff, sniff*(reaches for tissue)

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Those are all very good ideas. I agree for the most part, however I think resting each outfielder once a week may be a bit too much. I think you have to look at how each person is playing...for example, if Jermaine Dye has a hot week, why sit him?

Also, I think Pods needs to be in the lineup as much as possible. He is a vital catalyst in this offense...things don't seem to work as well when he's out of the game.

I don't think Frater Perdurabo's idea really decreases anyone's playing time. Dye and Pods generally do get a day off each week...FP's ideas just deal with maximizing Everett's playing time while still giving the regulars their typical amount of playing time, PLUS keeping Frank's bat in the lineup...And it was very well articulated.

I drink to that, FP... :gulp:

Norberto7
06-16-2005, 08:23 PM
What!? What is this? So far, everyone has agreed in a WSI post! Before the fabric of space is irreparably torn, I'm going to have to vigorously disagree with this post.

Everett looks lost! You can't play him that much! Put Frank in the field! Rowand is terrible! Heck, put Frank in center! Pods' legs will be shot from all those stolen bases! He goes to DH! Dye!? You must be joking! To Charlotte with them all!

There, hopefully that spares the destruction of the world as we know it.

(BTW, your post sounds like a good idea to me, FP.)

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
:timo: *sniff, sniff*(reaches for tissue)

Sorry, Timo, and thanks for the memories... :(:

But really, how often does the fifth outfielder on any other team play?