PDA

View Full Version : Official: White Sox to WSCR

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 06:45 AM
In a two-sentence blurb, Robert Feder is reporting (http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder16.html) this morning that the White Sox will move to WSCR.

DrCrawdad
06-16-2005, 06:59 AM
In a two-sentence blurb, Robert Feder is reporting (http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder16.html) this morning that the White Sox will move to WSCR.

Funny thing is that I still have my Grundig radio programmed with 670 AM as SOX.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 08:27 AM
If this is true, since in the same article Feder also reports WSCR will being web streaming, will the Score be allowed to webcast Sox games?

SSN721
06-16-2005, 08:34 AM
If this is true, since in the same article Feder also reports WSCR will being web streaming, will the Score be allowed to webcast Sox games?

I doubt it. No station is allowed to as I guess the broadcasts rights are held by MLB so it is up to them. And since you have to buy the MLB.com package to listen to every other game I doubt the situation will change with the switch.

Unregistered
06-16-2005, 08:34 AM
If this is true, since in the same article Feder also reports WSCR will being web streaming, will the Score be allowed to webcast Sox games?I realize we're taking in deeppink here, but currently AM1000 has web streaming that shuts off when broadcasting Sox games, cause obviously offering the feeds for free would conflict with the fact that MLB charges people $10 a month for the privalege.

I can only assume the same for the Score - as insisted upon by MLB.

DrCrawdad
06-16-2005, 08:38 AM

No. All MLB games are available, streamed, only thru MLB.com.

SoxFan78
06-16-2005, 09:19 AM
I realize we're taking in deeppink here, but currently AM1000 has web streaming that shuts off when broadcasting Sox games, cause obviously offering the feeds for free would conflict with the fact that MLB charges people $10 a month for the privalege.

Just to clarify, to get the MLB.com gameday audio for the season, its 14.95 or if you get a trial subscription to Sports Illustrated, cancel before they start charging, you get it for free.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 09:20 AM
No. All MLB games are available, streamed, only thru MLB.com.

This really is a lame - and shortsigted (from a business perspective) rule. Back before the Internet, when MLB games were on both clear-channel 50,000 watt stations and on small local stations as part of "so and so" team radio networks, interest in MLB games was extremely high. By charging a fee just to listen to games, millions of people - particularly the young - are shut out. These people won't grow up to be MLB merchandise-buying young adults or MLB game attendees.

anewman35
06-16-2005, 09:23 AM
This really is a lame - and shortsigted (from a business perspective) rule. Back before the Internet, when MLB games were on both clear-channel 50,000 watt stations and on small local stations as part of "so and so" team radio networks, interest in MLB games was extremely high. By charging a fee just to listen to games, millions of people - particularly the young - are shut out. These people won't grow up to be MLB merchandise-buying young adults or MLB game attendees.

I really don't think it would have that much of an impact. How many kids who aren't already baseball fans would sit around a computer for 3 hours to listen to a webcast? It's not like with radio, where you could listen to it anywhere - if you're going to sit at a computer and listen, I'd have to assume you already really care.

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Granted, this may be combined with by Feder thread, but I thought I'd start a new one because Jerry Reinsdorf is currently on with Mike North where JR has announced that the White Sox and WSCR have formed a five-year partnership to be the flagship.

:supernana:

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 09:35 AM
JR said that John Rooney and Ed Farmer will both make the move to the Score with the Sox.

HawkISox
06-16-2005, 09:37 AM
We get in 670 AM very very well here.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
I really don't think it would have that much of an impact. How many kids who aren't already baseball fans would sit around a computer for 3 hours to listen to a webcast? It's not like with radio, where you could listen to it anywhere - if you're going to sit at a computer and listen, I'd have to assume you already really care.

My larger point is that as long as teams already are paying for announcers and production, they ought to make those broadcasts available for free in as many ways and in as many places as possible. If more people are watching or listening, they can make far more money through the sale of advertising spots than they can with subscription fees. (The XM radio broadcasts of MLB games ought to be free to XM radio owners as well.) They also would reap huge rewards in future years through ticket sales and merchandise.

Why do you think basketball has become so popular around the world? Because the NBA has been headed by visionaries who knew that offering your base product for free would get many more people to buy more stuff later. Notice, also, that plenty of soccer games are broadcast for free on the Spanish-language networks. That certainly has something to do with the global popularity of futbol.

Instead, MLB owners are stuck in their prehistoric modes of thinking, headed by the ultimate purveyor of Neanderthal business practices, a used-car salesman.

Sad
06-16-2005, 09:39 AM
JR said that John Rooney and Ed Farmer will both make the move to the Score with the Sox.

I for one welcome this change as the signal will be much improved here :smile:

Sox-on-TV44
06-16-2005, 09:39 AM
"67-WMAQ!!!!!!"

Ooops,I mean the "Score"!

Now the "Score" staff better warm up to the Sox.

BTW:Cub fan Mike Murphy must hate this!!!!:D: :D: :D:

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Granted, this may be combined with by Feder thread, but I thought I'd start a new one because Jerry Reinsdorf is currently on with Mike North where JR has announced that the White Sox and WSCR have formed a five-year partnership to be the flagship.

This is great news. Now all they have to do is can that talking troll, Mike Murphy.

Dick Allen
06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Take that, Murphy, you Cub idiot.

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 09:43 AM
"67-WMAQ!!!!!!"

Ooops,I mean the "Score"!

Now the "Score" staff better warm up to the Sox.

BTW:Cub fan Mike Murphy must hate this!!!!:D: :D: :D:

I wish 670 could change its calls back to WMAQ, and Infinity wanted to do that when they moved the Score from 1160 to 670. However, the WMAQ call letters are owned by NBC Universal and used by NBC 5.

Meanwhile, Brooks Boyer is now on the Score.

elrod
06-16-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm not ecstatic about it, given that I live in Evanston and have no trouble listening to either station. I actually like having AM1000 as the Sox network with MJ&H and 670 as the all-talk station. Maybe it will just shift around a bit.

JRIG
06-16-2005, 09:44 AM

This would make sense, as they are both employed by the White Sox, and not ESPN.

By the way, anyone else remember the WMAQ jingle back in the late 80s/early 90s?

"The White Sox on the South Side/A tradition here to stay/ We're with them all the way!/Chicago is turning us on...WMAQ!...All News 67!"

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Maybe they can change the call letters again to WSOX.....

Edit: WSOX already is taken by an oldies station (http://www.oldies961.com/) in Pennsylvania. Too bad... :(:

kittle42
Aside from this just getting under Murph's skin, the best thing about it is that it will severely cut into his airtime during the season. :bandance:

anewman35
My larger point is that as long as teams already are paying for announcers and production, they ought to make those broadcasts available for free in as many ways and in as many places as possible. If more people are watching or listening, they can make far more money through the sale of advertising spots than they can with subscription fees.

I don't know if this is so true, either. Why would Chicago advertisers (many of whom are local) care about reaching people on the internet (presumebly outside of Chicago)?

JRIG
06-16-2005, 09:47 AM

Nope.

Oldies 96.1 WSOX! (http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=wsox&x=15&y=8&is_unl=Y&is_lic=Y&is_cp=Y&sr=Y&s=C&sid=)

SOXPHILE
06-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Oh no ! This is terrible ! What's Murph gonna do now in the evenings ? I so much enjoy all the White Sox talk he does on his show.

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 09:48 AM
This would make sense, as they are both employed by the White Sox, and not ESPN.

By the way, anyone else remember the WMAQ jingle back in the late 80s/early 90s?

"The White Sox on the South Side/A tradition here to stay/ We're with them all the way!/Chicago is turning us on...WMAQ!...All News 67!"

Or how about...

"WMAQ ALL NEWS 67...You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world."

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't know if this is so true, either. Why would Chicago advertisers (many of whom are local) care about reaching people on the internet (presumebly outside of Chicago)?

It could open up a whole new advertising market to businesses who operate nation-wide. Every time I watch a Sox game on WGN, virtually every inning there is a Miller Lite commercial. Every time I listen to a Sox-Rangers game on KRLD-AM, there are ads for national mortage companies, large banks, national restaurant chains and beer. The market is there for a national market if they are willing to exploit it.

Sox-on-TV44
06-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Completeing the first verse of that jingle:
"There's a feeling catching on.It's the White Sox sprit/you can the cheering crowds/standing very tall....."

And I love the early 1970's WMAQ intro (circa 1974) with that funky gituar and those booming drums (BA,BA,BA,BA,BOOM!!!) for a White Sox game.This was BEFORE WMAQ went country.

JRIG
06-16-2005, 09:58 AM
It could open up a whole new advertising market to businesses who operate nation-wide. Every time I watch a Sox game on WGN, virtually every inning there is a Miller Lite commercial. Every time I listen to a Sox-Rangers game on KRLD-AM, there are ads for national mortage companies, large banks, national restaurant chains and beer. The market is there for a national market if they are willing to exploit it.

Well, depending on how the deal is structured (I guess), the White Sox wouldn't see any of that money. Selling ads is how The Score pays for the rights to the games.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Well, depending on how the deal is structured (I guess), the White Sox wouldn't see any of that money. Selling ads is how The Score pays for the rights to the games.

But in the "free content" model, if the radio station can make more money on the broadcast by selling advertising twice (first to the over-the-air audience, second to the web audience), they will be willing to pay the team more for the radio rights, right? This would translate into higher revenues for teams, yes? It would be a win-win-win situation. Win for the fans throughout the country (world), win for the teams and win for the broadcast outlet! (It would be a win for MLB, because the overall fans base would increase, too!)

tebman
06-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Or how about...

"WMAQ ALL NEWS 67...You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world."

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/34/d9/90_1_b.JPG

Rocklive99
06-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I find this as great news as far as sound quality and the map coverage, they just better keep doing the ST games, I need that for my baseball fix in the offseason. I will probably be listening to the Score more often now, since they will probably be the ones giving away the free Sox tickets, and ESPN may have to find something else for their "ticket windows". If the Score makes some changes, they can easily overtake ESPN, because right now ESPN has the ratings, but their not really that good, it's just that the Score is currently so bad. Make some programming changes!

twsoxfan5
06-16-2005, 10:38 AM
I realize we're taking in deeppink here, but currently AM1000 has web streaming that shuts off when broadcasting Sox games, cause obviously offering the feeds for free would conflict with the fact that MLB charges people $10 a month for the privalege.

I dont think it will change either, but I just wanted to clarify that it is not $10 bucks a month to listen over interenet but rather $15 for the whole season. For those of you who listen to sports over the internet at work or anywhere I would recommend this service, b/c it has been well worth it. You can listen to any game you want and you have the option to choose either the home or away announcers. I just think it is a great deal. As a side note does anyone know if Rooney and Farmer move with the Sox or will we have a new broadcast team b/c I would hate to lose those guys.

Cletus
06-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Any news on what this means for the Bulls?

White Sox Josh
06-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Am I the only one who is disapointed? I liked having the Sox games on ESPN 1000. I don't want that Cubs fan being the baseball insider their. Also I liked having that because MJH would talk a lot about the Sox. They gave away free Sox Tickets to. I'm pissed off at this.

Brian26
06-16-2005, 10:55 AM

Haha, that's funny because I remember a jingle similar to that...it may be another verse in the same jingle:

"Baseball's the name of the game/The Chicago White Sox way/ Chicago...and the White Sox/ What a great double play!"

Medford Bobby
06-16-2005, 11:01 AM
:smile:" WMAQ is GONNA make me RICH!!!!":cool:

Rocklive99
06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
I dont think it will change either, but I just wanted to clarify that it is not $10 bucks a month to listen over interenet but rather $15 for the whole season. For those of you who listen to sports over the internet at work or anywhere I would recommend this service, b/c it has been well worth it. You can listen to any game you want and you have the option to choose either the home or away announcers. I just think it is a great deal. As a side note does anyone know if Rooney and Farmer move with the Sox or will we have a new broadcast team b/c I would hate to lose those guys.

Rooney and Farmer are coming too

Rocklive99
06-16-2005, 11:36 AM
http://www.670thescore.com/wscr670amgraphics/sox1.jpg http://www.670thescore.com/wscr670amgraphics/sox8.jpg

http://www.670thescore.com/wscr670amgraphics/sox2.jpg

JB98
06-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I have a mixed reaction to this. I absolutely despise The Score. I've have no use for any of their "on-air talent," and I haven't listened to that station for anything other than Illinois games in the last year. However, there's no question this is a good business decision by the Sox. The signal at WSCR will reach far more people. Even here in the western 'burbs, it can be difficult to pick up WMVP's signal after 8 p.m.

Lip Man 1
06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Interesting Boyer quote on this on the Tribune web site, referring to now having a partnership with the only all Chicago sports station in the market. Take that Dan Patrick.

Lip

Man Soo Lee
06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
they just better keep doing the ST games, I need that for my baseball fix in the offseason.

The Score update guy is saying 15 spring training games per year.

Paulwny
06-16-2005, 12:52 PM

I don't remember all the particulars, but the charge for web broadcast was brought about by some actors union. Claiming a wider audience the actors demanded and won more money for their voice services on commercials. MLB fought this claim , lost, and an agreement was reached to give the actors the web charges.
This is what I remember, if I'm thinking correctly.
MLB supposedly makes no money off web broadcasts.

tebman
06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
MLB supposedly makes no money off web broadcasts.

:roflmao: :rolling: :wired:

:violin:

:whatever:

Paulwny
06-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Am I the only one who is disapointed? I liked having the Sox games on ESPN 1000. I don't want that Cubs fan being the baseball insider their. Also I liked having that because MJH would talk a lot about the Sox. They gave away free Sox Tickets to. I'm pissed off at this.

Nope, I'm with you for a different reason. I rarely received 670 when they were wmaq. Damn, bad news for me.

Paulwny
06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
:roflmao: :rolling: :wired:

:violin:

:whatever:

I AGREE, that's why I wrote supposedly. :D:

tebman
06-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Nope, I'm with you for a different reason. I rarely received 670 when they were wmaq. Damn, bad news for me.
There was a thread about that a few days ago (check the link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=723963&highlight=westward#post723963)). WMVP does have a better signal in upstate NY, PA and NC because it's directional to the east at night. The tradeoff is that people who live west of WMVP's transmitter site in Westmont/Downers Grove don't hear it hardly at all.

A suggestion: check out one of these special AM antennas (http://www.ccrane.com/am-antennas.aspx). They really do work.

Paulwny
06-16-2005, 01:13 PM
There was a thread about that a few days ago (check the link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=723963&highlight=westward#post723963)). WMVP does have a better signal in upstate NY, PA and NC because it's directional to the east at night. The tradeoff is that people who live west of WMVP's transmitter site in Westmont/Downers Grove don't hear it hardly at all.

A suggestion: check out one of these special AM antennas (http://www.ccrane.com/am-antennas.aspx). They really do work.

I was part of that thread.
Thanks for the antenna web, I'll check it out.

fincher
06-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Any news on what this means for the Bulls?

Rumor is WGN might get the Bulls if you can believe that.

As for WSCR, well, I like the brand-name of ESPN and being associated with it even if the mothership in Bristol, Conn. doesn't always give the Sox a fair shake. ESPN Radio is better right now.

duke of dorwood
06-16-2005, 01:48 PM

You are not the only one-everyone forget how pro cubs they have been FOR YEARS? We've been downright treated like minor leagues and they have been a chief culprit. In his vindictivness Reinsdorf forgot all this

Kogs35
06-16-2005, 01:50 PM
You are not the only one-everyone forget how pro cubs they have been FOR YEARS? We've been downright treated like minor leagues and they have been a chief culprit. In his vindictivness Reinsdorf forgot all this

u could blame bob synder and len winier(spl) for that

doublem23
06-16-2005, 01:53 PM
:supernana: Woo Hoo!

Don't get ESPN-1000 very well down here in P-Town (you have to be on the North Side of town, and it helps if you're standing on a hill), but 670 comes in clear as a bell.

Oh, too bad I probably won't be hear next summer. :tongue:

34 Inch Stick
06-16-2005, 02:20 PM
The result is probably going to be more national programming from ESPN1000. I despise national programming especially during the week. I think this move weakens the local sports radio scene in Chicago.

I wonder how Dan McNeil feels about the new contract. I know he has already said the move does not bother him. I wonder if the trickle down effect of the move will hurt MJH.

tebman
06-16-2005, 02:36 PM
I wonder how Dan McNeil feels about the new contract. I know he has already said the move does not bother him. I wonder if the trickle down effect of the move will hurt MJH.
I wondered the same thing, though we won't need to hold any tag days for McNeil. He recently agreed to a fat contract that's good for several years.

Who knows? Maybe WMVP will become the new home of the Chicago Bandits!

http://ism.infinityprosports.com/Uploads/178/MultimediaManager/105.jpeg

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 03:25 PM
:ass

"Now batting, MY GUY, Paul Konerko!!:tongue: "

MIgrenade
06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Boy I really hope the Score makes commercials about how important North is for getting to talk to JR about changing stations. I know that Skiles commercial is something to talk about.

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Edit: WSOX already is taken by an oldies station (http://www.oldies961.com/) in Pennsylvania. Too bad... :(:

LOL...not to hijack the thread but it's amazing that I can get this station but not Oldies 104.3! :?:

mr_genius
06-16-2005, 03:51 PM

I totally agree... The score has been all scrubbie all the time during baseball season.

swanson24
06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I feel the same way as White Sox Josh. I like the MJH show and I think ESPN 1000 did a great job with the White Sox games. ... However this situation has already been decided and for all of those who like MJH on ESPN 1000 we can turn the dial back and forth. The positive thing about the move is the clearer signal on WSCR so it is a positive for some fans.
:smile:

Dick Allen
06-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Rumor is WGN might get the Bulls if you can believe that.

As for WSCR, well, I like the brand-name of ESPN and being associated with it even if the mothership in Bristol, Conn. doesn't always give the Sox a fair shake. ESPN Radio is better right now.I heard a clip from North's interview w/Reinsdorf. JR said the Bulls have one year left on their contract with WMVP, then.........he more or less hinted they might be going the way of the Sox.

TheOldRoman
06-16-2005, 04:34 PM
http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/34/d9/90_1_b.JPG

Those are sweet. I just realized a few weeks ago that we have one of those bumper stickers in my garage. We moved into the house 10 years ago, so the old woman who lived here before was obviously intelligent.:D:

I don't want that Cubs fan being the baseball insider their.

Ummm, are you forgetting that ESPN's baseball "insider" is Cubbie BLUce LeVineline?:?:

irish rover
06-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Just a tid bit mostly for those outta towners, the score and dahl are both going to be streaming thier shows on the internet next week

iamkoza
06-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Just a tid bit mostly for those outta towners, the score and dahl are both going to be streaming thier shows on the internet next week

i actually emailed the score programming guyy and asked him if he is planning on streaming the score anytime soon on the website, he said june 21, he didnt say if that was going to be a full time basis or not.

and those bumper stickers are no good still, 2006 its wscr670

White Sox Josh
06-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Those are sweet. I just realized a few weeks ago that we have one of those bumper stickers in my garage. We moved into the house 10 years ago, so the old woman who lived here before was obviously intelligent.:D:

Ummm, are you forgetting that ESPN's baseball "insider" is Cubbie BLUce LeVineline?:?:no he isn't. I've met him and had him on my school radio show. He said that he actually grew up more of a Sox fan however he hopes both teams win now. I can understand how you think he sounds like it but it is nowhere near how much cubs ass Offman kisses.

RallyBowl
06-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Anyone Who Hopes For The Scrubs To Win At All Is Obviously Not Much Of A Sox Fan

White Sox Josh
06-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Anyone Who Hopes For The Scrubs To Win At All Is Obviously Not Much Of A Sox Fanwell he is a REPORTER. HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE UNBIASED AN SUPPORT ALL TEAMS IN THE CITY. He grew up a Sox fan however when he was growing up the Cubs and Sox never played for real. I can't understand why everyone hates him so much. He is much better than the Flub asskisser Offman.

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Did anyone hear MJH today? If so, did they say anything about their station losing the Sox?

fincher
06-16-2005, 08:06 PM
well he is a REPORTER. HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE UNBIASED AN SUPPORT ALL TEAMS IN THE CITY. He grew up a Sox fan however when he was growing up the Cubs and Sox never played for real. I can't understand why everyone hates him so much. He is much better than the Flub asskisser Offman.

I like Bruce Levine. He does a good job covering both teams. I have been told he's a Cub fan, so who really knows?

SoxyStu
06-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Did anyone hear MJH today? If so, did they say anything about their station losing the Sox?

I caught a bit of it on my ride home from *gasp* extra-work today. They stated they would continue to try to cover the two baseball teams in the city 50/50 "as they always have." They were expecting the move and stated the positive for them - fewer shortened broadcasts. That was the tidbit I heard on me car ride. Mac spoke a little more personally about it...as you'd expect.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-16-2005, 08:51 PM
This is an exceptional opportunity for Infinity Broadcasting to make a clean break with the ****ed up mess they've created out of sportsblab radio. They don't have enough talent to fill out an entire programming day, but the Sox will relieve them of a huge amount of the available time.

Here's what they OUGHT to do...

1.) Hire Steve Dahl and Buzz Kilman for morning drive. He's already a Sox Fan and talks about the team on a regular basis. FIRE Mike North.

2.) Get Jiggetts for mid-days, maybe with Shaer as sidekick.

3.) Find warm bodies for afternoon drive and non-Sox evenings. They've got enough talent in their current stable to (barely) fill this programming hole. None of it is critical to their success, so don't spend too much for it.

4.) Send Mike Murphy off to post-midnight. His act might be genuinely entertaining to insomniacs. If he balks, bring back Grobber. At least he's worthy of being heard in 30 states.

5.) Change the call letters back to WMAQ. Bring back the old jingle and position it as "Chicago's sports talk and more."

The Snore is a joke and adding the Sox to the line up without fixing the rest of the station's problems would be like perfuming a pig.

Bark twice if you agree, Licorice!

"RUFF! RUFF!"

Daver
06-16-2005, 09:02 PM
This is an exceptional opportunity for Infinity Broadcasting to make a clean break with the ****ed up mess they've created out of sportsblab radio. They don't have enough talent to fill out an entire programming day, but the Sox will relieve them of a huge amount of the available time.

Here's what they OUGHT to do...

1.) Hire Steve Dahl and Buzz Kilman for morning drive. He's already a Sox Fan and talks about the team on a regular basis. FIRE Mike North.

2.) Get Jiggetts for mid-days, maybe with Shaer as sidekick.

3.) Find warm bodies for afternoon drive and non-Sox evenings. They've got enough talent in their current stable to (barely) fill this programming hole. None of it is critical to their success, so don't spend too much for it.

4.) Send Mike Murphy off to post-midnight. His act might be genuinely entertaining to insomniacs. If he balks, bring back Grobber. At least he's worthy of being heard in 30 states.

5.) Change the call letters back to WMAQ. Bring back the old jingle and position it as "Chicago's sports talk and more."

The Snore is a joke and adding the Sox to the line up without fixing the rest of the station's problems would be like perfuming a pig.

Bark twice if you agree, Licorice!

"RUFF! RUFF!"

Cleaning up WSCR is like polishing a turd, no matter how much wax you use, it is still a turd.

I doubt they will eat three years of North's large contract, and Jiggetts is under contract to Comcast for the forseeable future.

As much as I can't stand Ken Harrellson, I will not be listening to the Sox on the radio unless I have no choice.

CLR01
06-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know how many years the Blackhawks have left on their deal? Did they say what would happen in the event of an overlap?

Daver
06-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Does anyone know how many years the Blackhawks have left on their deal? Did they say what would happen in the event of an overlap?

The Blackhawks buy time on WSCR, and collect the advertising revenue, they have no broadcast contract.

White Sox Josh
06-16-2005, 09:48 PM
The Blackhawks buy time on WSCR, and collect the advertising revenue, they have no broadcast contract.it's more like stealing money for the Blackhawks if they had a broadcast contract.

Brian26
06-16-2005, 09:49 PM
I wonder how Dan McNeil feels about the new contract.

Who cares. The blowhard has taken enough potshots at the White Sox organization for my liking. Hey, why should he care anyway since he's "getting itchy for Champaign-Urbana" already. Nothing like talking about a 4th place football team when the flagship's major league baseball franchise has the best record of the 30 teams this year.

Rocklive99
06-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Isn't Stone the official baseball guy for them now, and not Offman? I haven't listened a lot, but I haven't heard Offman in a while, maybe because the afternoon show is so bad.

Yes, Levine is a Cubbie butt kisser (listen to the Sunday baseball show, I really feel bad for Rooney), but will kiss the Sox's butt to their face, just like everyone in the media preaty much does with all teams

GiveMeSox
06-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Now that the sox have announced their new move to WCSR 670 my question is what happens to the people on the radio now. Who is employed by the sox and just goes where the sox go and who is employed by the station. Especially for Rooney and Farmer, they will stay on the air with 670 right? What about Dolgin, Melty and the other guys that come one to do pre and post sometimes. This means no more Bruce Levine??

santo=dorf
06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted yet, but JR said "I can't believe we haven't been to the series just once during these 25 years. We must be doing something wrong."

Ya think Uncle Jerry?

:tongue:

CLR01
06-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Now that the sox have announced their new move to WCSR 670 my question is what happens to the people on the radio now. Who is employed by the sox and just goes where the sox go and who is employed by the station. Especially for Rooney and Farmer, they will stay on the air with 670 right? What about Dolgin, Melty and the other guys that come one to do pre and post sometimes. This means no more Bruce Levine??

This has been discussed already in this and the Dolgin spin off thread.

TornLabrum
06-17-2005, 06:54 AM

Take this for what it's worth, but somebody called The Score when Jerry Reinsdorf was on yesterday, and he said that Rooney and Farmer, and everybody else, would be making the transition. No one asked who "everybody else" might be.

kevingrt
06-17-2005, 07:45 AM
The Score should clean up it's act but as Daver said cleaning up the Score is like polishing a piece of terd. Their management sucks and I don't think the people can do anything about it. I would love to see them hire Dahl, but the chances of that happening are so slim.

This was an expected move by the Sox brass and it is good for out-of-towners west of here. They will get to listen to the Sox free of charge and that is good for them. But it sucks that WMVP cannot promote the Sox anymore with the free tickets and such.

I guess everything cannot be perfect then.

harwar
06-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Its good to get a better signal from the stronger wscr but any station that gives mike north a long contract is one that i will have trouble with.
I mean the guy was just on this morn pratically apologizing to the cub fans for "his' station picking up the WHITE SOX.
I will listen only to the actual White Sox games and nothing else.
As for mj&h on espn1000,i doubt that they will even notice that the White Sox are gone from their station as they only really care about three things..football..football..football.