PDA

View Full Version : Leo Daigle

elrod
06-16-2005, 02:16 AM
What the heck is up with that guy. He hit for the cycle last night and now has 22 HR, 73 RBI, a .424 OBP and a .367 average. I assume he will be promoted to Birmingham soon. Is he just a late bloomer? He's 25 years old.

rdivaldi
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
What the heck is up with that guy. He hit for the cycle last night and now has 22 HR, 73 RBI, a .424 OBP and a .367 average. I assume he will be promoted to Birmingham soon. Is he just a late bloomer? He's 25 years old.

Nah, he's a career minor leaguer. He's just playing a level or two below where he should be. He'll come back to Earth when he gets to AA or AAA.

Randar68
06-16-2005, 02:04 PM

This would be his 6th full-season of A ball and he has an addition full year in AA.

Harry Chappas
06-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Nah, he's a career minor leaguer. He's just playing a level or two below where he should be. He'll come back to Earth when he gets to AA or AAA.

Is 25 really that old? I don't know much about Daigle except what I've seen in the paper, but is it possible that it just took awhile for the light to turn on with this kid? Just wondering...

Randar68
06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Is 25 really that old? I don't know much about Daigle except what I've seen in the paper, but is it possible that it just took awhile for the light to turn on with this kid? Just wondering...

He'll be 26 in 2-3 months in addition to the previous post I made about how many freakin seasons this guy has played in the low minors already...

rdivaldi
06-16-2005, 04:08 PM

I guess it's possible, but it's just highly unlikely. Like Randar said, he's repeating A ball for something like the 5th or 6th time. Repeating levels more than twice is not the hallmark of a real prospect.

maurice
06-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Is 25 really that old?

For A-ball? Yes, it's quite old. He has teammates who are 20. Most are 20-22.

There are about 7 guys on our AAA team who are younger than Daigle.

elrod
06-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, it'd be interesting to see how he'd do in Birmingham or even Charlotte. He's obviously good enough to graduate from A ball.

NC_sox_fan
06-16-2005, 09:12 PM
The White Sox send us guys like Leo for "leadership" roles. So far I'd say he's doing a fine job.

BHAMBARONS
06-17-2005, 03:26 PM
The White Sox send us guys like Leo for "leadership" roles. So far I'd say he's doing a fine job.

Right now the Barons need a guy who is a leader. No leadership on this team what so ever that includes the coaching staff

SpringfldFan
06-21-2005, 10:43 AM

So what is this, a real life "Bull Durham" movie?

StillMissOzzie
06-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Right now the Barons need a guy who is a leader. No leadership on this team what so ever that includes the coaching staff

I just learned that Rich Dotson came up (class-wise, or down, directionally speaking) from Great Falls to be the pitching coach for Birmingham. No good?

SMO

Randar68
06-21-2005, 03:13 PM
I just learned that Rich Dotson came up (class-wise, or down, directionally speaking) from Great Falls to be the pitching coach for Birmingham. No good?

Dotson has been the pitching coach in Birmingham all year unless I missed something.

BHAMBARONS
06-21-2005, 03:33 PM

SMO

I wasn't talking about the pitching staff, I assumed the box scores would have shown what trouble we having getting held to 6 runs in 4 game set against the worst pitching staff in the SL in awful. Pitching hasn't been a weakness all year long the hitting and mainly at the Met has been awful to say it nicely. I would like to see some team ball where a power hitter isn't scared to draw a walk or hit an opposite field single, I don't see it I see hitters with the team down by 3 taking homerun swings like they are going to hit a 3-run bomb with no one on base. I have seen no adjustments made in the swings in 2 months. That is why I believe there needs to be a change

BHAMBARONS
06-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Dotson has been the pitching coach in Birmingham all year unless I missed something.

He has and he is doing a great job done a great Job with Jenks so far this season.

Randar68
06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
He has and he is doing a great job done a great Job with Jenks so far this season.

Amen on Jenks. Looks like he's done some good work with Malone as well, would you agree?

BHAMBARONS
06-21-2005, 04:05 PM
That is a big AMEN, Dot has helped with Tracey's command he had a lot of his walks early in the season.

TheBull
06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
I am not trying to bring you guys back to the Leo subject, but the San Diego Union has a decent back page feature on Leo this morning. Unfortunately it did not make the internet edition and I cannot find it elsewhere to link it.

Here are some quotes:

"I came into this year wanting to work on a couple of things-develop my power, get more out of my size."

"I worked with the hitting coach on a different bat path, and the results have been real nice."

Daigle goes on to say that he realizes there is a log jam at first base with Konerko, Jorge Torca and Rogo. Thus he has taken up the challenge of playing third. "Foremost I'm working at third base to help my ballclub."

W-S Manager Cris Cron said "Leo is on some kind of power trip. In all of my 22 years of baseball, I don't know if I've ever seen a guy so consistent. He's putting on some kind of display"

Even though Daigle played locally (San Diego) in high school and junior college before moving on to Cal State Hayward, it is rare for the San Diego Union Tribune dedicate so much column space to a minor leaguer.

Tragg
06-25-2005, 12:24 AM

That's good to hear. He was my favorite pitcher of the early 80s era.