PDA

View Full Version : Cubune sucks

DrCrawdad
06-16-2005, 12:18 AM
...(tick) me off.

Check out his article written after tonight's big, exciting come from behind win.

Mark Gonzales = Richard Head?

MERPER
06-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Go to chicagosports.com and read the 4th story in the Sox package:
"Now for the bad news, sox fans" or something like that

If Kerry Wood or Mark Prior had a bad outing 2 years ago, everything was okay because they are Cubs and G-d's gift to the mound

Now, our starters have a rough stretch, in which we are 2-2 by the way, and we need to be worried?

Last time I checked, our starters are still the best in baseball by numbers and are entitled to a slip up every now and then... Sure, we have been spoiled by such solid outing night after night after night, but come on... this coverage by that paper makes me sick to my stomach :angry:

MUsoxfan
06-16-2005, 12:37 AM
They're absolutely right. Trade everyone now for what we can get!

Lip Man 1
06-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Let's not overreact.

It's a legit question especially since many of the same folks here last year were annointing Compiskey Park as Coors Field East. The weather has apparently finally started to warm up. Balls look like they are flying out of the stadium.

How the starters adjust to this is very important since the weather usually stays warm through mid September or so.

It may also help determine what moves if any Kenny makes at the deadline.

It bears watching.

Lip

halfpricemonday
06-16-2005, 01:05 AM
If I were the Cubune, I'd wait to see how the #1 and #3 pitchers fare at home before proclaiming the "possible end of the dominant reign of Sox starting pitchers" and how our pitching has "blown a tire."

You know, considering Buehrle is arguably the best pitcher in the league (if not, he's definitely the most underrated), I'd maybe wait to see how he does tomorrow before penning this story, since if Buehrle goes out and throws a 3-hit CG, it somehow weakens the "bad news" that I'm trying to get across.

But that's just me.

JB98
06-16-2005, 01:07 AM
This just in: The Cubs were trailing 15-0 at one point today. Why don't they go write a story about how crappy the Cubs pitching has been lately?

halfpricemonday
06-16-2005, 01:17 AM
I'm not a big Mark Gonzales fan, but which part of the article is bothering you? Is it this sentence:

The White Sox pitching staff had to hit rock bottom Wednesday night, but it brought out the best in a once-stagnant offense.or
The breakout took a massive load off a pitching staff that had allowed 24 runs to the Diamondbacks before the rally and appeared destined to absorb the brunt of the team's first three-game sweep this season.
I think the first sentence is probably over-dramatic. The second is fairly accurate, considering we were down 6-1 before our comeback. Otherwise I think it's a pretty fair article, albeit kind of dull considering the excitement of the game.

owensmouth
06-16-2005, 02:17 AM
This just in: The Cubs were trailing 15-0 at one point today. Why don't they go write a story about how crappy the Cubs pitching has been lately?

That's not news

Ron Karkovice
06-16-2005, 03:23 AM

92% of Illinois residents' hearts were broken today :(

Nellie_Fox
06-16-2005, 04:02 AM
92% of Illinois residents' hearts were broken today :(No, just Chicago area. Southern Illinois is Cardinals' country.

DrCrawdad
06-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Yesterday's Cubune headline "Another Sox starter drilled."

Here's a comparison of the past six games runs allowed...

Cubs
6/15 15
6/14 0
6/13 1
6/12 8
6/11 6
6/10 6
total: 36 runs

Sox
6/14 10
6/13 8
6/12 5
6/11 2
6/10 2
6/8 5
total: 32 runs

Damn, that Cubbie pitching is great and that Sox pitching stinks!

ChiSoxBobette
06-16-2005, 07:11 AM
...(tick) me off.

Check out his article written after tonight's big, exciting come from behind win.

Mark Gonzales = Richard Head?
The guy is just your typical pissed off beat reporter that did'nt want this assignment and wanted to be reporting on the scrubs. I don't think once this year any of his reports had anything in them but backhanded compliments about our White Sox who someone should point out to that idiot are 21 games over .500 and Garland is 11-2 , if the samething was being done on the northside these idiot reporters would be telling all of scrubdom to get ready for the World Series instead its the White Sox so all we get are these guys reporting to us to get ready for the White Sox to fall apart.

GO WHITE SOX!

DrCrawdad
06-16-2005, 08:33 AM
On Tuesday the Cubune included this as a footnote:

Running in place

On May 4, the Cubs trailed St. Louis by six games in the Central Division. Despite their recent hot streak, the Cubs trailed the Cardinals by 6 1/2 games Monday after their loss to Florida.

"They're not losing, that's the thing," Todd Walker said. "At this point nobody cares about what St. Louis does. All we care about it what we do, and that's the only thing you can control."

Ok, so they did report it. But if it were the Sox it would have been the main story when the Sox had just won a big game.

Hitmen77
06-16-2005, 08:51 AM
92% of Illinois residents' hearts were broken today :(

Teal?

ondafarm
06-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Honestly, with how bad the umpiring was during the Arizona series, I don't think Cy Young could have held the Diamondbacks to less than 6 runs.

Unregistered
06-16-2005, 09:19 AM
This was such a stupid misprint in the Trib, it had me laughing:

Crede has been under scrutiny because of his .236 batting average. But Crede is tied for third on the Sox with nine home runs, posted a 14-game hitting streak earlier this year and has committed only two errors in his last 59 games.

"Not too many people can do what Joe does," Crede said. "Maybe our expectations about Joe are too high. I said that last year and in the off-season.

"Maybe we think he has the potential to hit 30 home runs, drive in 100 runs and hit .280 or .290. We expect and want that, but maybe the expectation is too high."

They obviously misquoted - I'm sure those words belonged to Ozzie - but I crack up trying to picture Crede talking about himself in EXTREME third person. :D:

Sxy Mofo
06-16-2005, 09:49 AM
You guys read that, it talks about how the last four games the starters got roughed up. and now how apparently the world is coming to an end because each of the starters minus MB had one bad game. My Lord. Contreras, garcia, hernandez, and Garland all pitched very well in their previous starts. Guess the writers there are more ready to jump off a bridge after a loss than half the people here.

By the way, they were .500 in those games.

PatK
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
The Cubune is a joke, and after the articles of yesterday and today, I'm seriously thinking of completely boycotting the paper. I suggest all Sox fans do so.

The Sox win in a HUGE comeback. The Sox bats finally come alive (which is what they need), and there's an article ripping the starting rotation for having a high ERA the last couple of games. It's a long season, and sometimes, that's going to happen. The Sox win and still have the best record in baseball, but the Cubune has to go and emphasize the negative.

Meanwhile, the Cubs get spanked, and there are articles praising the Cubs. I wonder what their starter's ERAs have been over the last 4 games?

It's a joke. And quite honestly, their biased coverage of the Sox, IMO, hurts the team. The Cubune wonders what the Sox can do to bring more people to the park. One thing that would help would be for them to write a positvie article every once in while. Or even better ***gasp*** give the Sox the same kind of coverage they give to the Cubs.

bartmanisgod
06-16-2005, 10:09 AM
BTW that is one of the best signatures I have ever seen on this site!:kneeslap:

Sxy Mofo
06-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I have to be honest, i saw it on a guys t-shirt in the series at coors. I added the espn logo. I think it fits well with the theme.

Going along with that article is the moronotti article in the suntimes. Yes, I read his articles sometimes because they are good comic relief. And you knew it was going to happen, the carl everett maxim thing. He's just praying the sox implode, and trying to find any catalyst. You can bet the sox players don't care. It was an article in a "spicy" magazine. The gay comments aren't anything worse than what half of congress says. The wrigley comments were right on.

maurice
06-16-2005, 03:57 PM
We could have a multi-tomato thread on stupid typos every day. Another example is the caption on the back of today's Sun-Times. The caption writer doesn't know the difference between LF and RF.

You'd think that major newspapers would hire somebody capable of catching obvious mistakes, but Chicago newspaper editors are as incompetent as most of the writers . . . sometimes requiring massive retractions for a single, mistake-filled column.

maurice
06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
The gay comments aren't anything worse than what half of congress says.

Seriously. I've heard more offensive statements from Congressmen on CSPAN.

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Go to chicagosports.com and read the 4th story in the Sox package:
"Now for the bad news, sox fans" or something like that
:angry:

The "bad news" article was written by baseball pud Dave Van Dyck.
He really sucks since he left the Scum Times.:angry:

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2005, 04:54 PM
The Cubune is a joke, and after the articles of yesterday and today, I'm seriously thinking of completely boycotting the paper. I suggest all Sox fans do so.

Hell, we boycotted them once they raised the price of their daily paper years back while the Sun-Times kept their price the same. The fact that the Trib is Cubbie-loving only made it that much more joyous to do.

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Let's not overreact.

How the starters adjust to this is very important since the weather usually stays warm through mid September or so.It bears watching.Lip

Agreed.There will be,to quote 2 songs Led Zep and The Stones
once recorded,"Good Times,Bad Times" the rest of the way.
Let's just hope Sox pitchers (other than those named Beuhrle)
keep the ball down!!!

PS- The Stones version of the song "Good Times,Bad Times"
is a track off their "12 x 5" CD.It is NOT the same song Led Zep
recorded in 1968.

fusillirob1983
06-17-2005, 01:11 AM
In the article on the Cubs game it said that either the Cubs staff as a whole or their starters, can't remember which one, has an ERA of 9.33. Of course, that was towards the end of the article and it wasn't an entire article with a doom and gloom headline. The coverage annoys me, but to know the Sox are winning, you gotta figure the people at the Tribune are praying that it ends. I think they'll be waiting a long, long time.

FarWestChicago
06-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Let's not overreact.

It's a legit question especially since many of the same folks here last year were annointing Compiskey Park as Coors Field East. The weather has apparently finally started to warm up. Balls look like they are flying out of the stadium.

How the starters adjust to this is very important since the weather usually stays warm through mid September or so.

It may also help determine what moves if any Kenny makes at the deadline.

It bears watching.

LipYou know Lip, there is an old saying about being able to judge a man by his friends. Your best friends are Jay Moronotti, the Cubune as a whole and Scott Borass. What does this say about you? :o:

Lip Man 1
06-17-2005, 01:53 PM
That I try to hang out with 'rich' people?

I try to be fair Westy.

I'm criticle and hard headed but I also try to give credit where's it due, including to Uncle Jerry for hiring say Brooks Boyer and for having raised the payroll in the past few years. (And as an educated person I'm sure you can easily find those posts of mine on your web site. LOL :smile: )

I try not to sterotype or deal in absolutes, I've gotten into trouble that way. Some of the biggest, best Sox fans I know of work for the Tribune like author Bob Vanderberg. I have no trouble with those people whom I call 'friends.' I'm proud to know them. And I guess you missed my comments about Jay the past few weeks including one today talking about the media with Frater.

Lip