PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Commercials

StrTrkker
06-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Anyone seen the new Shingo/Tadahito commercial?

:D:

Theres also a Paul Konerko I caught today also...

I love these spots.

PAPChiSox729
06-15-2005, 10:52 PM

I love these spots.

Are you talking about the heaven ones? I thought they were pretty stupid myself...

Jurr
06-15-2005, 10:52 PM
I haven't seen the Iguchi and Shingo one yet.

Paulie and Aaron's spots have been a little "off" to me. I don't know. It seems like they're really quick and thrown together.

Buehrle's is supposed to be hilarious, though.
He wonders where he is, and notices some chick...he looks down at the girl and says, "How you doin'??"

mdep524
06-15-2005, 11:07 PM

I love these spots. I disagree.

Taz
06-15-2005, 11:14 PM
I kinda like the ads myself... but trying to figure out why they are happening on the 'EL'???

I can see why the 'EL' would be used for the 'H-E-double hockey sticks' spot... but for the Heaven spots too??!!!

What am I not getting?:dunno:

MUsoxfan
06-15-2005, 11:39 PM
I loved the ads from last year. Specifically the one with Paulie and Shingo in the dugout while Paulie is talking about team chemistry. Whenever the new ads come on TV and there are casual Sox fans or Cub fans in the room, I just say "Yeah, I know these spots are really really awful. No need to say anything more."

John Barrett
06-16-2005, 07:21 AM
they're horrible...

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Last year's were much better - these heaven ones are confusing. Buehrle does kinda check her out in his though - it helps that she's not hard on the eyes. Outside that, can do without 'em. Focus back like the print ads and radio commercials - point out the grinder mentality. ESPECIALLY after the 10 run inning, more so than ever.

whtsx1959
06-16-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm annoyed that it's Win. Or Die Trying but everytime the die, even if it's just for a short time.

SoxFan78
06-16-2005, 09:00 AM
They need to spotlight the actual players in the spots more. From what I have seen, the players are just there, say a line or two and the majority of the ad is the "Conductors" on the train.

Last years spots were so good because it was all about the players, and how they interacted with each other.

The Paulie and Shingo ad last year "priceless".

2005 Radio and Print Ads: A

2005 TV ads: D-

FoulkeFan
06-16-2005, 09:19 AM
They need to spotlight the actual players in the spots more. From what I have seen, the players are just there, say a line or two and the majority of the ad is the "Conductors" on the train.

Last years spots were so good because it was all about the players, and how they interacted with each other.

Ditto!

PatK
06-16-2005, 09:35 AM
I think the Sox should be doing TV commercials similar to the "Grinder Rules" commercials they are doing on the radio, and get Kurtwood Smith to do them.

wdelaney72
06-16-2005, 09:41 AM
This has been kicked around in other threads this year, but I don't mind pointing out again that I think the radio ads are really Bush league and flat out annoying.

Between Hawk and John Rooney, we don't need stupid gimicks in the ads. Those guys alone are best way to sell White Sox baseball.

Sad
06-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Are you talking about the heaven ones? I thought they were pretty stupid myself...

agreed...

Rocklive99
06-16-2005, 10:35 AM
I thought they dropped the ball with these commercials, disappointing after being used to the good stuff they had before these commercials. Some of them are kind of embarrasing, if they were for some other team, I'd easily rip on them...

ondafarm
06-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I kinda like the ads myself... but trying to figure out why they are happening on the 'EL'???

I can see why the 'EL' would be used for the 'H-E-double hockey sticks' spot... but for the Heaven spots too??!!!

What am I not getting?:dunno:

Because an 'El' car is a small contained unit, readily recognizable, definately Chicago and simple to 'put in motion'. Cheap, easily-reproduced, easy to decorate, in other words, a perfect location for relatively inexpensive commercials.

In the Shingo-Iguchi one, Iguchi asks Shingo "What is this place?" Shingo says, "It's the local mode of transportation." ((I think he says 'transportation', it's either that 'chemical refining' or 'desalinization plant')) I digress. "Who is this guy?" They get sent back.

I think the babe in the Buehrle one is a babe.

nlentz88
06-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah, last year's TV spots were pretty good. And yes, the Shingo-Konerko one was easily the best Sox spot I've seen in a long time. This year's TV spots aren't nearly as good. The Devil and Aaron Rowand ad is creepy. And when Konerko asks about Shoeless Joe being in heaven, it seems like he doesn't even care. The only new TV spot that I do like is the one warning low flying aircraft, and that's only because it highlights the Sox kicking butt.

However, I think the radio ads are awesome. I love 'em! I especially like the one about not throwing back a visiting team's homerun ball.

Mendoza Line
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Some of the radio ads are kinda weird. Especially the one where he's talking about how much he enjoys staring at Pods in left field...

As for the TV ads, I've seen worse. (Ya betta bring your A-game!)

soxfan1965
06-16-2005, 07:42 PM

Agreed. I saw the whole set of commercials (including Shingo/Iguchi and Konerko) on the Sox web site. They are not that good. I thought they should use the ad agency for the Illinois Lotto--they are corny, but to me funny, because of the expressions of both Bernie Mac and the girl opposite the guy in the invisible car. I thought using Joan Cusak would be good choice too (with her US Cellular connections). They DON'T have to use players to be effective commercials. Anything to cut down on those Miller Lite ads with the small cups/cans/bottles. Or the ones with the smiling Ricoh guy. :smile:

owensmouth
06-16-2005, 07:48 PM
I'd rather see more of the "tweak the Cubs' fans" type.

Foulke You
06-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Agreed. I saw the whole set of commercials (including Shingo/Iguchi and Konerko) on the Sox web site. They are not that good. I thought they should use the ad agency for the Illinois Lotto--they are corny, but to me funny, because of the expressions of both Bernie Mac and the girl opposite the guy in the invisible car. I thought using Joan Cusak would be good choice too (with her US Cellular connections). They DON'T have to use players to be effective commercials. Anything to cut down on those Miller Lite ads with the small cups/cans/bottles. Or the ones with the smiling Ricoh guy. :smile:
Ugh, I definitely do NOT want the Lotto or US Cellular ad guys anywhere near the Sox. I find those commercials to be annoying, especially the ones with the invisible cars. The US Cellular ones wouldn't be as bad if they didn't play them EVERY FRIGGIN HALF INNING.

Foulke You
06-16-2005, 09:46 PM
I'd rather see more of the "tweak the Cubs' fans" type.
The Us vs Them spot last year was one of the best commercials they've ever run. It got everyone riled up and talking which is what you want out of an ad campaign. Plus, it pleased Sox fans and pissed off Cub fans...what more can you ask for?:cool:

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-16-2005, 10:08 PM
The Us vs Them spot last year was one of the best commercials they've ever run. It got everyone riled up and talking which is what you want out of an ad campaign. Plus, it pleased Sox fans and pissed off Cub fans...what more can you ask for?:cool:

anyone who wants to see any of the commercials from last year, http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jsp
there they are. good times.

btw: NO JOAN CUSAK

PAPChiSox729
06-16-2005, 10:26 PM
anyone who wants to see any of the commercials from last year, http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jsp

Wow. I had never seen the "Freddy's First BP" commercial before. That is pretty funny. Man, compared to last year, these commercial suck pretty bad...

nedlug
06-16-2005, 10:32 PM
I still think the bestSox commercial I have ever seen is the "Them vs. Us" from last year.... short, to the point, and hilarious. Best line of it all - THEY: Have a fan that screams "Woo." WE: Don't.

Classic.

Chisox003
06-16-2005, 10:41 PM

The old commercials are awesome...

And can someone tell me why our sponsors, US Cellular, gets Joan Cusack as the "face" of the company, but T Mobile has Catherine Zeta Jones? What gives? :dunno: :kukoo:

fusillirob1983
06-16-2005, 11:44 PM
"Go, go roam already!"

NO JOAN CUSACK

wdelaney72
06-17-2005, 08:37 AM
This is not even close. Those commercials are miles better than this year's crap. I think it would be highly appropriate to re-run the "When Frank Bats" commercial.

iwcup
06-17-2005, 09:32 AM
I do like last years better, but when watching this years, I realize its not about us, that being the hard core fans..and who cares if they are "dumb" they are working, we just spent how many posts discussing these commercials that we dont like? mission accomplished....

Jurr
06-17-2005, 09:38 AM
"Go, go roam already!"

NO JOAN CUSACK
Yeah...I know she's a Chicago girl and has the accent....great.
She also looks like a man and talks as if her mouth is constantly full of red hot mashed potatoes.
NO JOAN CUSACK

MsSoxVixen22
06-17-2005, 09:55 AM
When are they gonna make a commercial with Scotty or Jon Garland! Now that's my kinda heaven! :bandance: I like the Sox commecials they were running earlier ones that were like your homers should be a warning to low flying aircraft or something like that. Hawk and DJ and Farmer and Rooney "sell" the Sox the best though I agree. We have the most entertaining announcers in baseball

mweflen
06-17-2005, 11:01 AM
The only good one is the AaRow spot. PK and Burly's are lame, and the Shingo/Gucci one is completely inscrutable.

wdelaney72
06-17-2005, 09:41 PM
OK, I'm going to make a slight retraction. While I still find last year's commercials better, I did chuckle after seeing the Mark Buehrle commercial.

That being said, I'd rather they focused on the play on the field, instead of this goofy attempts at comedy.

Did Harry Teinowitz write these commercials?

Brian26
06-17-2005, 10:00 PM
The commercials are just really, really lame. Are these commercials by the same ad agency that was on here asking for advice?