PDA

View Full Version : Probable cub fan headbutts el

maurice
06-15-2005, 06:04 PM
They were right all along! The area around the Cell IS dangerous:

A North Side man learned a painful lesson about looking for a lost cell phone on the L tracks. Don't do it. The 23-year-old man -- identified by sources as Mike Devechio of West Grace Street -- was released from the hospital Tuesday, about 13 hours after getting cracked on the side of the head by a moving Red Line L train at the Sox/35th Street stop. . . . He came away with a bruise to his forehead, a chipped front tooth and a cut near his hip. . . .

Linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-oops15.html)

eriqjaffe
06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
His life was probably saved by the fact he's a Cub fan - he's used to things that hit him on the head unexpectedly.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Let's see if the Cubune covers this one like the Urinal murder story, page 3 of Metro.
:roflmao:

:giantsnail

:lynch&mcfail
"Here at beeeeeaut-iful Cubs Park we take every precaution to keep our fans safe from headbutting passing L trains. For example, most are too sloppy drunk to even be standing on the platform!"

DumpJerry
06-16-2005, 12:58 AM
was released from the hospital Tuesday, about 13 hours after getting cracked on the side of the head by a moving Red Line L train . . . .
How's the train doing? Do they expect it to be returned to service?

Was he on the phone practicing his waving to the camera while asking his buddy if he can see him?

34 Inch Stick
06-16-2005, 11:36 AM
How did he get a cut on his hip?

CHISOXFAN13
06-16-2005, 11:50 AM

I assume the impact knocked him over and onto his hip?

bigfoot
06-16-2005, 09:54 PM

Well..........he did sustain some head injuries, so with his head in close proximity to his hip..........!

SOXintheBURGH
06-16-2005, 10:55 PM
:woo-woo

Join the club!

spiffie
06-17-2005, 09:25 AM
If it were a Cub fan he would have made all his cell phone calls during the game, and been very annoyed when the crowd noise made it hard to hear his frat buddy from (insert Big Ten school).

C-Dawg
06-18-2005, 01:22 AM
Well, I'm no Cub fan but I can share an incident I had where I fell off one of those high platforms like they have on the CTA (however it happened on the South Shore Line so there's no 3rd rail). A big group of us had ridden the South Shore to Michigan City and back, and after our arrival back at Randolph St. downtown, we were wandering around on the platform admiring the trains (this was when they still had the old orange cars). The train we had come in on started to pull out to head back to the yards, and just as it started to move I lost my balance and fell off the platform and fell the 5-or-so feet down onto the tracks. I guess I had been too close to the edge! The motorman saw me and dumped the brakes, and since it was going so slow it stopped right away, but I wasn't taking any chances and hopped right back up onto the platform as fast as I could. It all happened so fast that if you weren't watching you might not have noticed anything had happened at all - actually I remember joking that I had "bounced" back up onto the platform. But the next day I was so sore and bruised I could barely walk; I may have even stayed home from school that coming Monday.

Now that I'm a regular on the CTA you can bet I'm careful on those platforms!

:redface:

Viva Medias B's
06-18-2005, 08:59 AM
The most bizzarre CTA "El" platform incident took place somewhere around a decade ago. I believe it happened at Fullerton or some other Lincoln Park area stop on the Red/Brown Line. Someone had a few too many at a bar and was taking the "El" home. While waiting for a train to come, the person needed to empty his bladder. He did in the direction of the tracks and guess what happened.

gobears1987
06-18-2005, 09:50 AM
:woo-woo

Join the club!
:rolling:

dcb33
06-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Looks like the train won.

It's tragic this guy will probably sue the CTA and settle for a big, fat check.

I'll never forget this Saturday night about 5 years ago when my friends and I headed back to Evanston on the Red Line. As we were pulling into Howard the train stopped short and they made an announcement that everyone had to move to the front car of the train to exit. Needless to say we thought this was pretty odd, but when we got off the train we saw that this guy about halfway up the length of the platform had fallen off and was knocked unconcious as his head hit square with one of the rails. When the paramedics arrived they helped him come to, but they made him walk all the way from the middle to the end of the platform at track level since they didn't feel like lifting him up to the platform on a stretcher. We all got a pretty good laugh out of this, but had he landed about 3 inches further out from the platform, it wouldn't have been so funny.

Foulke You
06-18-2005, 12:39 PM
How's the train doing? Do they expect it to be returned to service?

Was he on the phone practicing his waving to the camera while asking his buddy if he can see him?
:roflmao:

Viva Medias B's
06-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Looks like the train won.

It's tragic this guy will probably sue the CTA and settle for a big, fat check.

Actually, a train had nothing to do with what happened. Think about what I said he did and think "third rail."