PDA

View Full Version : Frank to cut back on Starbucks?

JorgeFabregas
06-15-2005, 11:07 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050614&content_id=1089328&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

"I don't know if I can kill that habit," Thomas said with a laugh. "I love coffee. I'm a Starbucks regular and I drink coffee when I get to the ballpark. I like to stay hyper and keep myself motivated. That's the way I do things."

NFL players also often drink large amounts of coffee before games to keep themselves amped up. Will this mean sleepy Frank? I wish I was joking, but I actually am a little curious.

ja1022
06-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Greenies, Frank. Greenies.

mccoydp
06-15-2005, 11:14 AM
PowerBar Gel will do the trick, but isn't as caffeinated as Starbucks coffee...it gives me a good jolt before a long distance run.

Flight #24
06-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Decaf, Frank. Decaf.

JorgeFabregas
06-15-2005, 11:33 AM
I remember hearing a quote from some player regarding MLB's drug policy that if they ban greenies there will be a lot of "boring" 3-2 games.

21whitesoxway
06-15-2005, 01:41 PM
PowerBar Gel will do the trick, but isn't as caffeinated as Starbucks coffee...it gives me a good jolt before a long distance run.

lol...powerbar gel yes this will help him.

ChicagoHoosier
06-15-2005, 02:05 PM

As big as Frank is, I think he'd need about 75 gel packs to get a buzz.

batmanZoSo
06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Maybe he can drink green tea instead. It has a smaller amount of caffeine and is just better for you all around (antioxidants, metabolism, etc, while coffee actually promotes weight gain).

mccoydp
06-15-2005, 03:10 PM

Actually I was being somewhat serious...depending on how many he would want to take, they consist mainly of complex carbohydrates and caffeine. I run mid-to-long distance competitively, and it does the trick.

I'm surprised that he would want to drink a ton of coffee...the caffeine's a diuretic.

But then again, I'm in no position to give him any advice; that's what Herm's there for.

RKMeibalane
06-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually I was being somewhat serious...depending on how many he would want to take, they consist mainly of complex carbohydrates and caffeine. I run mid-to-long distance competitively, and it does the trick.

I'm surprised that he would want to drink a ton of coffee...the caffeine's a diuretic.

But then again, I'm in no position to give him any advice; that's what Herm's there for.

Since he's a DH, I don't think his having to make ten stops in the restroom each game is that much of a problem. Along those same lines, I think Carlos Lee used to take a leak in the Sox bullpen every time there was a stoppage of play. :cool:

mccoydp
06-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Since he's a DH, I don't think his having to make ten stops in the restroom each game is that much of a problem. Along those same lines, I think Carlos Lee used to take a leak in the Sox bullpen every time there was a stoppage of play. :cool:

LOL...I was going to put the same reference to DH & the bathroom in my post, but took it out, thinking that bathroom talk might lead to the RoadHouse.:smile:

SoxEd
06-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Since he's a DH, I don't think his having to make ten stops in the restroom each game is that much of a problem.

Isn't the problem with him ingesting a load of diuretic (coffee) is that it results in his getting cramp during the game?

Then again, I am one of those people who has been lucky enough never to have suffered from cramp, even when playing rugby or soccer, so I have no idea what brings it on :D:.

RKMeibalane
06-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Isn't the problem with him ingesting a load of diuretic (coffee) is that it results in his getting cramp during the game?

Then again, I am one of those people who has been lucky enough never to have suffered from cramp, even when playing rugby or soccer, so I have no idea what brings it on :D:.

Diuretics can cause cramping during periods of high exertion, which is most likley what happened with Frank. As long as he doesn't continue drinking coffee during games, the problem shouldn't persist.

soxfanreggie
06-15-2005, 05:07 PM
If this helps Frank get hurt less and be able to play more...all the power to him!

StockdaleForVeep
06-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Well frank hit another dinger today

Has frank become our Babe ruth now? I can imagine him sittin in the dugout smokin a cigar and chuggin coffee's between atbats.

Jurr
06-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Diuretics can cause cramping during periods of high exertion, which is most likley what happened with Frank. As long as he doesn't continue drinking coffee during games, the problem shouldn't persist.
Yeah. You'd think that all of the ballplayers know better than to use any type of diuretic during the muggy, hot summer months.

But, as David Wells says in his book, "greenies" are everywhere.

RKMeibalane
06-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Yeah. You'd think that all of the ballplayers know better than to use any type of diuretic during the muggy, hot summer months.

But, as David Wells says in his book, "greenies" are everywhere.

The problem with diruretics is that so many of them are habit-forming. Coffee is no exception. One can hope that Frank can find a way to curtail his habit so that he doesn't have any additional problems with this.

Jurr
06-15-2005, 11:08 PM
The problem with diruretics is that so many of them are habit-forming. Coffee is no exception. One can hope that Frank can find a way to curtail his habit so that he doesn't have any additional problems with this.
You aren't kidding about habit forming. When I used to have to study all night, I'd blow away pots of coffee, and it became a daily thing.
When I had to start actually treating patients, I couldn't deal with the shaky hands. It absolutely sucked.

My cure was TONS of water.

chisoxmike
06-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Looks like the Hinsdale starbucks is going to lose some $$$.