PDA

View Full Version : Sox Season Quiz in the Tribune

Madvora
06-15-2005, 07:32 AM
See how you do on this.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050613soxtriviaquiz,1,125769.triviaquiz?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

- man, I have a bad memory

HebrewHammer
06-15-2005, 07:38 AM
I was at 80%, I couldn't remember who beat Jon for his first loss or Frank's line on his first game back, I remembered the injured hip and the 0-Fer, I just couldn't remember how many or if he walked or not.

BRDSR
06-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Also got 80%. Couldn't remember who snapped the second 8 game losing streak or what DH's save total was at when it was snapped. The last one sure seemed like something I should know, too. Fun times.

itsnotrequired
06-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I got 60%. Man, that's a tough quiz. I wonder what a Cubs quiz would look like?

What former Cubs player now plays for Baltimore?

a. Ryne Sandburg
b. Ronnie Woo-Woo
c. Sammy Sosa
d. Trick question. Baltimore doesn't have a team.
d. All of the above

Madvora
06-15-2005, 08:35 AM
I got 60%. Man, that's a tough quiz. I wonder what a Cubs quiz would look like?

What former Cubs player now plays for Baltimore?

a. Ryne Sandburg
b. Ronnie Woo-Woo
c. Sammy Sosa
d. Trick question. Baltimore doesn't have a team.
d. All of the above

Shouldn't Ryan Sandburg also be a choice?
Or maybe Kerry Woods?

itsnotrequired
06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Shouldn't Ryan Sandburg also be a choice?
Or maybe Kerry Woods?

Another trick question. Everyone knows that Sandburg plays for Yahoo! Sports.:D:

Rocky Soprano
06-15-2005, 08:38 AM
I got 80% could not remember who broke the Sox 8-game streak or who beat Jon.

CHISOXFAN13
06-15-2005, 10:13 AM
I originally had the Frank answer correct, but went back ansd changed it before I submitted it.

Still got 90 percent.

dcb33
06-15-2005, 10:28 AM
I got 90%. I missed the first question about how the Sox scored on Opening Day (which is bad since I was there). I guessed incorrectly that the Sox scored on a double when in fact Konerko doubled and the error on the Indians plated the run.

Jerko
06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
I got 90%. I missed the first question about how the Sox scored on Opening Day (which is bad since I was there). I guessed incorrectly that the Sox scored on a double when in fact Konerko doubled and the error on the Indians plated the run.

I got 80%. I messed up the Angels beating Garland and TB ending the 8 game streak. I'm ashamed.

Soxzilla
06-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I got 100%

Me > You all.

MUScholar21
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Just missed. 90%, thanks to the Angels breaking Cy Garland's win streak.

billnahorodny
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I got 90% but admittedly peaked on the who beat Garland question. Seems like one we all should have known yet almost everyone seems to have gotten it wrong.

batmanZoSo
06-15-2005, 11:59 AM
I got 70%. I didn't really watch the 2-1 Coors game and never saw who drove in the runs for us.

I forgot that Tampa snapped our second 8 game streak, I thought it was Baltimore.

And I thought Garland was the first to beat Minnesota. I shouldn't have missed that one because it was the fourth game of the year and El Duque has been the fourth starter. For some reason I had Garland in my mind as the fourth starter...nice brain fart. I remember that game clear as a bell though.

ondafarm
06-15-2005, 12:05 PM
I got 50%. Man, the brain shuts down after making my pick to click.

JB98
06-15-2005, 12:12 PM
I got 100%

Me > You all.

I'm your equal. I nailed them all as well. Aurorans have good memories.:cool:

I had to stop and think a minute to remember Frank's line, but I was at that game, so I figured it out eventually. I also had to scratch my head a bit to recall who drove in the runs for us during that 2-1 game at Colorado. Those were the hardest two.

miker
06-15-2005, 12:14 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050613soxtriviaquiz,1,125769.triviaquiz?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

Don't do it -- it's a trap set by the Tribune!

Cowhead418
06-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I got 90%. I guessed 14 saves instead of 15 for the last question.

MERPER
06-15-2005, 04:08 PM
80%... couldn't remember Frank's exact line in first game back or which was the first team we swept... for some reason, I thought it was the Blue Jays at the skydome but I forgot there was one before that.. oh well!

Been a great season to reflect on so far...

Sox Magic #=94!!!!!

PicktoCLick72
06-15-2005, 04:42 PM
100% I am a golden god.:smile:

NSSoxFan
06-15-2005, 04:53 PM
I got 90%. YES

But, seriously, I wonder what the average score is for Flubbie fans.

:roflmao:

Sxy Mofo
06-15-2005, 04:56 PM
I got 80%. Which is pretty decent for me considering I probably saw 3 of those games the questions came from and only read about the other 7.

Jurr
06-15-2005, 07:07 PM
90%...Damn Tampa Bay!

White Sox Josh
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Sox trivia quiz 1. The Sox won their season opener 1-0 against the Indians. How did they score?
Correct -- Johnny Peralta mishandled Aaron Rowand's grounder in the seventh inning allowing Paul Konerko to score.

A. Bunt
B. Double
C. Error
D. Home run

2. The White Sox beat the Twins 5-1 in Minnesota’s home opener. Who was the Sox starter that allowed one run in seven innings of work?
Correct -- Orlando Hernandez, in his first Sox start, scattered six hits and retired the final seven batters—the last two on strikeouts.

A. Jose Contreras
B. Freddy Garcia
C. Jon Garland
D. Orlando Hernandez

3. The White Sox swept Detroit and Minnesota in a two-game series but who was the first team the Sox swept in a three-game series?
Correct -- The Sox swept the Royals at Kansas City April 22-24.

A. Cleveland
B. Kansas City
C. Seattle
D. Toronto

4. Against Oakland on April 27, Joe Crede started at shortstop due to injuries on the roster but he was ejected in the ninth. Who played shortstop in the bottom of the inning?
Correct -- Right fielder Jermaine Dye played shortstop for the first time as a pro.

A. Jermaine Dye
B. Carl Everett
C. Scott Podsednik
D. Aaron Rowand

5. The Sox had two eight-game winning streaks. Who snapped the second one?
Correct -- Tampa Bay beat the Sox 4-2 on May 9. Oakland ended the Sox’s first eight-game winning streak by the score of 9-7 on April 26.

A. Baltimore
B. Tampa Bay
C. Texas
D. Oakland

6. In the first game between the Cubs and Sox on May 21, who was the Sox pitcher that tamed the Cubs?
Correct -- Freddy Garcia dominated the Cubs in a seven-inning stint, allowing one run on five hits.

A. Mark Buehrle
B. Jon Garland
C. Freddy Garcia
D. Orlando Hernandez

7. Jon Garland was 8-0 before falling on May 23. Pick the team that beat him.
Correct -- Garland was tagged for a season-high 11 hits in seven innings. He allowed three runs in the 4-0 loss to the Angels.

A. Angels
B. Indians
C. Orioles
D. Rangers

8. Frank Thomas made his return against the Angels on May 30. How did he fare?
Correct -- Frank Thomas was 0-for-2 with a walk before straining his hip flexor.

A. 0-2
B. 0-2, walk
C. 1-2
D. 0-3, walk

9. The Sox beat the Rockies 2-1 on June 7. It was the third-lowest scoring game in the 11-year history of Coors Field. Pick the combo that had the RBIs in the same inning for the Sox.
Wrong -- Dye singled in Konerko and Pierzynski plated Dye later in the fourth inning.

A. Rowand, Konerko
B. Dye, Pierzynski
C. Konerko, Crede
D. Podsednik, Rowand

10. Dustin Hermanson's save streak ended June 11 against the Padres. How many consecutive saves did he have?
Correct -- Hermanson had converted 15 consecutive save opportunities and needed only two more outs when Ramon Hernandez ripped a home run over the left-field fence to tie the game.

A. 12
B. 13
C. 14
D. 15

Score: 90% --

White Sox Josh
06-15-2005, 07:36 PM
here is the cubs one
Cubs trivia quiz 1. Carlos Zambrano was ejected in the Cubs’ opener. What did he say to the umpire?
Correct -- Zambrano was ejected for taunting plate umpire Dale Scott on his way to the dugout, asking him where his glasses were and making hand gestures to imply Scott couldn't see.

A. Where is the @#&#$ strikezone!
B. Where are your glasses?
C. You have a dinner date you need to get to?
D. Did you just come from the minors?

2. On April 11, the Cubs fell to the Padres 1-0. Pick the Cub that had an awful game.
Correct -- Burnitz's sixth-inning error led to the only San Diego run. And he struck out on bad pitches with a full count to end both the sixth and eighth innings with runners in scoring position.

A. Jeromy Burnitz
B. Todd Hollandsworth
C. Corey Patterson
D. Aramis Ramirez

3. Against the Cardinals on April 20, Nomar Garciaparra injured his groin. How did it happen?
Correct -- Garciaparra collapsed with a groin injury while exiting the batter's box in the third inning.

A. Trying to field a grounder
B. Running from the batter’s box
C. Stealing a base
D. Trying to stretch a single into a double

4. Greg Maddux and Roger Clemens dueled in Houston on April 29. What Cub had three hits and two RBIs, including a home run in the seventh inning off Clemens that broke the 2-2 tie. The Cubs won 3-2.
Correct -- "I got some pitches to hit every at-bat," Burnitz said. "When you get that, you have to put the sweet spot on it."

A. Michael Barrett
B. Jeromy Burnitz
C. Derrek Lee
D. Aramis Ramirez

5. The Cubs lost seven straight games from April 30 to May 7. What team swept them in a series?
Correct -- The Cubs lost three games at Milwaukee. "These games will make us stronger," manager Dusty Baker said. "It's certainly not going to break us."

A. Houston
B. Milwaukee
C. Pittsburgh
D. Philadelphia

6. On May 11, Derrek Lee hit a game-winning homer in the 10th inning to beat the Mets 4-3. What did he do after making contact?
Correct -- "I don't know what I was doing," Lee said. "I didn't know I hopped. I was just praying for the ball to get over that fence so we'd get the win."

A. A little twirl
B. Pointed at Mets reliever Heath Bell
C. Slash across the throat gesture
D. A Sammy Sosa-like hop

7. The Cubs beat the White Sox on May 22 to avoid getting swept. Who hit the three-run homer for the Cubs in the 4-3 win?
Correct -- "It's just another home run,” Dubois said. “I can't say it meant a lot [to me]. It helped the team win, and that's all I can say. And that's what I'm most proud of."

A. Henry Blanco
B. Jason Dubois
C. Jerry Hairston
D. Todd Hollandsworth

8. The Cubs beat the Rockies on 11-6 on May 29. What happened in this game?
Wrong -- "Hopefully we can put some distance between us and .500," Baker said. "We've got to keep winning series and keep inching closer [to St. Louis]. We needed to get back to .500 before [West Coast trip].

A. Mark Prior was injured
B. Sergio Mitre picked up the win
C. The Cubs reached .500
D. Will Ohman hit a homer

9. How did the Cubs fare on their West Coast swing from May 30 to June 5?
Correct -- The Cubs swept the Dodgers in three games and were 3-1 against the Padres.

A. 7-0
B. 6-1
C. 5-2
D. 4-3

10. The Cubs pounded the Red Sox 14-6 on June 11. Pick the Cub that went around asking: "Did you hit a home run today? Did you hit a home run today?"
Wrong -- "It feels good," Greg Maddux said of the two standing ovations he received, including one for his homer. "It's special. You really appreciate it as a player."

A. Ryan Dempster
B. Greg Maddux
C. Michael Wuertz
D. Carlos Zambrano

Score: 80% --

Rocklive99
06-15-2005, 07:55 PM
I got 70% :( I thought I was cruisin, but messed up the TB answer, 2 runs in Colorado, and Hermie's save total

zach074
06-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I got a 70% I'm surprised that my brain has not shut completely down since school got out.

White Sox Josh
06-15-2005, 10:27 PM
I got 70% :( I thought I was cruisin, but messed up the TB answer, 2 runs in Colorado, and Hermie's save totalI took it to see how much i could remember the Cubs Sucking!

CHISOXFAN13
06-15-2005, 10:30 PM
I took it to see how much i could remember the Cubs Sucking!

And you felt the need to post your answers why?

chisoxmike
06-15-2005, 10:30 PM
90%, I thought Garland started the first game against the Twins. Forgot it was just the forth game of the year.

White Sox Josh
06-15-2005, 10:35 PM
90%, I thought Garland started the first game against the Twins. Forgot it was just the forth game of the year.i had trouble with the last one.

nedlug
06-15-2005, 10:40 PM
90%, I thought Garland started the first game against the Twins. Forgot it was just the forth game of the year.

The way I got the two pitcher questions was that I remember that Buehrle v. Santana matchup, and I knew that the first game of the year was the 4th starter. Also, BMac started the last Cubs game for El Duque, so the first game pitcher was the 2nd starter, Freddy.

SakMann67
06-15-2005, 10:43 PM
I missed a Few Sox are 5-0 at games I attended this year

Jurr
06-15-2005, 10:45 PM
The way I got the two pitcher questions was that I remember that Buehrle v. Santana matchup, and I knew that the first game of the year was the 4th starter. Also, BMac started the last Cubs game for El Duque, so the first game pitcher was the 2nd starter, Freddy.
You are a bona fide super sleuth. Way to go with the deductive thinking! :D:

Jurr
06-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I missed a Few Sox are 5-0 at games I attended this year
:?:

:welcome:

whitesoxfan
06-15-2005, 10:51 PM
90%, missed the TB ending the 8 game streak question.

Jurr
06-15-2005, 10:54 PM
90%, missed the TB ending the 8 game streak question.Right with ya!

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2005, 12:28 PM
I scored an 80% as well. I messed up on the ones dealing with how the one run was scored on Opening Day (I was at work during the game), as well as who got the two RBIs in the 2-1 game against Colorado.

siugrad25
06-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Well I guess I have too much time on my hands or have been paying too close of attention to the Sox this year, but my score was Score: 100% -- And I have a newborn at home...

ChiSoxGirl
06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
I got an 80%! And for a gal who doesn't have cable and is forced to listen to the majority of Sox games, I'd say that's pretty damn good! :bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 07:06 PM
90 %.

Pretty good.But after 87 years without a pennant (hey,who's counting??),
Sox fans should have good long term memory.:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 07:08 PM
I have a newborn at home...

That should make the west coast games a little easier to stay up for.

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 07:11 PM
90%, missed the TB ending the 8 game streak question.

I missed Hermanson's consecutive save streak.Coulda sworn it was 14!

doublem23
06-16-2005, 09:51 PM
I missed Hermanson's consecutive save streak.Coulda sworn it was 14!

Same here. And I thought Baltimore broke the 2nd streak in Game 3 of that 4-game set. Oh well. :smile:

Hagan
06-16-2005, 10:14 PM
90% I got #2 wrong