PDA

View Full Version : Mike Veeck's view of the Cell

SaltyPretzel
06-15-2005, 07:25 AM
His marketing ideas seem a little too strange for me, but he has nice things to say about the park.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0506150132jun15,1,3770902.story?coll=chi-news-hed

wdelaney72
06-15-2005, 07:35 AM
I'm glad he had nice things to say, and I'm sure he's a great guy, but I could care less what he thinks.

Madvora
06-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Sounds like he's trying a little to hard to come up with something "crazy"

"Maybe unfurl a large canvas, with people painted on it, from the roof over Section 557, making it look like the seats were full."
- Huh?

"Little things. Write something on the concrete for no reason. In chalk, like a little kid wrote it. And people will start looking for it."
- What!?

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Sounds like he's trying a little to hard to come up with something "crazy"

- Huh?

- What!?

What? No Disco Demolition II?

You have to remember that this is the guy whose father painted the seats at Comiskey different colors for no reason other than to get people asking, "What do the different colors mean?"

DrCrawdad
06-15-2005, 07:54 AM
His marketing ideas seem a little too strange for me, but he has nice things to say about the park.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0506150132jun15,1,3770902.story?coll=chi-news-hed

I liked the idea of an old Comiskey-centric gift shop by the old home plate. I like the idea of a booth with sing-along with Harry and how he recognized Harry's place in Sox baseball history and how the Cubbies are stealing that history to themselves. I've advocated for a while that the Sox dig up some video footage of Harry leading the crowds at old Comiskey and play that whilst Nancy plays Take Me Out...

That or just give the mic to Hawk and have him carry on the Sox tradition of Take Me Out...

Thumbs down though on tagging the box cars on the tracks to the west of the park.

Thumbs down to the wacky idea of drag queens dragging the infield. The logical place for that to happen is at Wrigley.

Cellview22
06-15-2005, 07:55 AM
He has some good ideas. Anything to get the people talking about US Cellular and the Sox is a good thing. I never realized that the unexpected experiences stay in people's minds, and that's what we talk about. On Monday, I felt someone's furry paw pat me on the back, I looked around, and there was SouthPaw. Totally unexpected but it was the most memorable part of the night.

The only ideas I don't like are the drag queens and unfurling a large canvas making it look like the upper deck is full. Lame! Kind of sounds like he lives in a dream world.

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 08:02 AM
He has some good ideas. Anything to get the people talking about US Cellular and the Sox is a good thing. I never realized that the unexpected experiences stay in people's minds, and that's what we talk about. On Monday, I felt someone's furry paw pat me on the back, I looked around, and there was SouthPaw. Totally unexpected but it was the most memorable part of the night.

The only ideas I don't like are the drag queens and unfurling a large canvas making it look like the upper deck is full. Lame! Kind of sounds like he lives in a dream world.

That's how guys like Veeck are, though, from my experience. They throw out a bunch of ideas and see what works.

Hitmen77
06-15-2005, 08:21 AM
He had a few good ideas and some crazy ones. I liked his suggestion about the Sox recognizing Harry Caray. He says:

"The seventh-inning stretch thing [Caray's rendition of `Take Me Out To The Ball Game'] started here," Veeck pointed out, meaning at old Comiskey. "With the Cubs' revisionist history, in another 10 years Harry will never have sung here.

But, this being the CUBune, they couldn't pass up the opportunity to say this:

Ever since it opened in 1991, U.S. Cellular Field has been criticized as a sterile, fan-unfriendly "ballmall." Despite renovations and upgrades, that reputation has stuck in the minds of many people.

itsnotrequired
06-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Some ideas good, some bad. Seems like he may have been dealing with the minor leagues a bit too long. Drag queens? Ushers singing opera? I'll pass.

Madvora
06-15-2005, 08:33 AM
I don't know about you, but I prefer the focus to be on the baseball.
If that become our own little niche, then I'll be happy with that.

jackbrohamer
06-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Very thoughtful of the Cubune to figure out ideas on how to improve attendance at the Cell.

PatK
06-15-2005, 09:40 AM
He should have said something like "They should bring in tanks of ammonia and release it into the air in the concourse. That way, it will smell like Wrigley and confuse the idiots that go there".

dickallen15
06-15-2005, 10:19 AM
How come when he was working with his father with the White Sox, he didn't drop canvasses of painted people over empty sections of seats at the old park? There were more empty seats then than there are now. His ideas were goofy, and would not attract anyone to the park. I used to think that the White Sox were missing the boat not giving this guy a position with the team, with his link to the past and all, but after reading this article I realized what a mistake it would have been to bring him in.

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 10:20 AM
How come when he was working with his father with the White Sox, he didn't drop canvasses of painted people over empty sections of seats at the old park? There were more empty seats then than there are now. His ideas were goofy, and would not attract anyone to the park. I used to think that the White Sox were missing the boat not giving this guy a position with the team, with his link to the past and all, but after reading this article I realized what a mistake it would have been to bring him in.

Come on! This was just stuff off the top of his head!

dickallen15
06-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Come on! This was just stuff off the top of his head!

If this is what is on the top of his head, I'd hate to see what's inside it.

jackbrohamer
06-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Seriously, I think the article is nothing more than a chance for the Cubune to print this garbage:

"Ever since it opened in 1991, U.S. Cellular Field has been criticized as a sterile, fan-unfriendly "ballmall." Despite renovations and upgrades, that reputation has stuck in the minds of many people..."

It must be challenging for the paper to come up with reasons to say the same thing. If the Sox stay in first place, maybe it will be time for their architectue critic Blair Kamin to make another visit to slam the park

tebman
06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Sure, a lot of his ideas are goofy. But like TL said, they were off the top of his head. If you go to buffet restaurant you don't eat everything that's spread out there. Same way with brainstorming ideas -- you throw a bunch out there and most of them get tossed. But a few might have some merit, or could be built into something better. You've got to start with ideas first.

Veeck's father was a hustler, by his own admission. Hell, the title of one of his books was "The Hustler's Handbook." But among the goofy ideas he had were some keepers: names on uniforms, home-run celebrations, giveaway promotions, 7th-inning stretch singalongs, *and* free agency. Nobody listened to him on that one of course, but he testified at Curt Flood's anti-reserve clause trial and had written on the need for baseball to rethink its contract system with the players.

Y'gotta start somewhere, so you throw out a bunch of seeds. Only a few will take root and most of the rest will blow away. I hope Brooks is listening to a few of MV's ideas.

Hitmen77
06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Seriously, I think the article is nothing more than a chance for the Cubune to print this garbage:

"Ever since it opened in 1991, U.S. Cellular Field has been criticized as a sterile, fan-unfriendly "ballmall." Despite renovations and upgrades, that reputation has stuck in the minds of many people..."

It must be challenging for the paper to come up with reasons to say the same thing. If the Sox stay in first place, maybe it will be time for their architectue critic Blair Kamin to make another visit to slam the park

....or perhaps a Cubune update on the whereabouts of "Sox fan" William Ligue.

MUScholar21
06-15-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't understand why so many people seem to dislike the ideas just because of who they came from. Mike Veeck has always been an innovative marketer, and he came up with some great ideas for getting people in the park with little or no thought beforehand.

As far as people preferring fans to watch the product on the field, you need to get them in there. Just providing an on-field product has worked wonders in the attendance market in the past.

Sly
06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I think this article was absolute garbage. Who cares what Mike Veeck thinks? If he was any good, he'd be in the major leagues and not messing around in the minors. His ideas were terrible, plus the the article was filled with generalities that were never proven by the author.

PatK
06-15-2005, 11:52 AM
This article, along with the one printing the lowlights of Carl Everrett in Maxxim Magazine, is just another shot taken at the WhiteSox in the guise of journalism.

wood28
06-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree with PatK. This article is just another shot at the Sox and Sox fans by the Cubune. How many different ways can the Cubune re-write their article concerning the Cell?

Lip Man 1
06-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Ummm Sly....Veeck is part owner of five minor league teams, two of his partners are Bill Murray and Jimmy Buffett. They have invested a ton of money in their teams, he's a successful businessman, not the idiot you seem to think he is.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2520

Personally I enjoyed the story especially his quote about 'revisionist' Cubs history. LOL

And there are some 'minor league' teams around the country that are better run then some 'major league' teams. Ever look at Tampa Bay for example? How about Pittsburgh? The only thing 'major league' about those cesspools are their names.

Lip

LuvSox
06-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I like the idea of the banner in the upper deck. It's funny. If you think it's stupid then go get yourself a ticket and sit your ass down. If all the whiners bought tickets then attendance would not be an issue.

Brian26
06-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think Brooks has anything to worry about. Veeck's ideas weren't that great.

Hitmen77
06-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Ummm Sly....Veeck is part owner of five minor league teams, two of his partners are Bill Murray and Jimmy Buffett. They have invested a ton of money in their teams, he's a successful businessman, not the idiot you seem to think he is.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2520

Personally I enjoyed the story especially his quote about 'revisionist' Cubs history. LOL

And there are some 'minor league' teams around the country that are better run then some 'major league' teams. Ever look at Tampa Bay for example? How about Pittsburgh? The only thing 'major league' about those cesspools are their names.

Lip

I agree w/ you that Mike Veeck is not an idiot, but funny you should mention Tampa Bay - didn't Mike Veeck work for Tampa Bay for a while?

dickallen15
06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
I like the idea of the banner in the upper deck. It's funny. If you think it's stupid then go get yourself a ticket and sit your ass down. If all the whiners bought tickets then attendance would not be an issue.

If the White Sox hung a banner that had people painted on it to give the illusion the park was full, they would become the laughingstocks of baseball. Letterman and Leno would have a field day.

Foulke You
06-15-2005, 02:30 PM
I liked Mike Veeck's Old Comiskey Kiosk idea of celebrating the past and his Harry Caray idea. Imagine the shocked look on Cub fans seeing a picture of Harry Caray in a Sox jacket or shirt leading the 7th inning stretch. Alas, I'm quite sure as long as Reinsdorf owns the team, there will be no mention of Harry's time on the South Side. I also liked his idea of dressing up certain areas of the park a little more on the lower deck like the pictures they have in the upper deck.

Some of his other ideas were downright absurd. The tagging of railroad cars, the ushertainment, the mural of people, etc. I think Veeck would be perfect for a marketing consultant type role. He comes up with a ton of ideas, some of them bad, some of them good...then a guy like Brooks Boyer can "yay" or "nay" the ideas that would work or wouldn't work. Just a thought.

Foulke You
06-15-2005, 02:34 PM

Lip
That was great. I can't tell you how many Cub fans I've run into who didn't even know that Harry Caray was a Sox announcer. There is nary a mention of it. I think Reinsdorf's personal feelings against Harry and Piersall will mean that portion of White Sox history remains hidden.

Fenway
06-15-2005, 03:33 PM
I agree w/ you that Mike Veeck is not an idiot, but funny you should mention Tampa Bay - didn't Mike Veeck work for Tampa Bay for a while?

and Vince Namoli couldn't stand him

mr_genius
06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Thumbs down to the wacky idea of drag queens dragging the infield. The logical place for that to happen is at Wrigley.

hahahahaha

:redneck

SpammySosa
06-15-2005, 05:03 PM
If the White Sox hung a banner that had people painted on it to give the illusion the park was full, they would become the laughingstocks of baseball. Letterman and Leno would have a field day.

I didn't take the time to read the article...yet.But based on interviews I have read/watched with Mike Veeck,I am assuming some of the ideas he brought up were tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken literally.

SpammySosa
06-15-2005, 05:14 PM
That or just give the mic to Hawk and have him carry on the Sox tradition of Take Me Out...

:hawk
"...Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack...I loooooooooooveeeeeeeee peanuts and Cracker Jack!"

Lip Man 1
06-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Hitmen:

He worked for a short period of time as the Devil Rays PR guy. He left because of his daughter's drastic illness. Who knows what might have happened had he stuck around.

Lip

ks_8999
06-15-2005, 05:49 PM
This article, along with the one printing the lowlights of Carl Everrett in Maxxim Magazine, is just another shot taken at the WhiteSox in the guise of journalism.To be fair, what Carl Everett said about the fans is not so dissimilar to what Hawkins of the Cubs said. Both of these guys are idiots that don't know when to shut up, in my opinion. Everett should not get a free pass on this board just because he is a Sox player.

Southsider101
06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Mike Veeck has had many strange ballpark promotions through the years-- I should know having gone to my share of St Paul Saints games. When he had mime night in St Paul, he almost had a riot fans throwing beer and hot dogs at mimes. He's right about the Sox needing to celebrate the old parks heritage and tradition. The club made a nice start with the collage of photos they've added in upper deck last year that portrays each decade of Sox history. They need to expand on that before a whole generation of Sox fans (and Chicagoans) pass by and Old Comiskey is nothing but a faint memory. I've also noticed that a lot of fans collect old team photographs. I think Mike's idea of a Sox heritage/Old Comiskey kiosk is right on target. Ever tried to find a team photo the the '59 team?

His quote about Harry was classic: "With the Cubs's revisionist history, in another 10 years Harry will never have sung here". Hey Brooks, the Sox have to get aggressive and reclaim their heritage!
:dtroll:

Cubbiesuck13
06-15-2005, 06:55 PM

Why didn't you post the entire thought?

Ever since it opened in 1991, U.S. Cellular Field has been criticized as a sterile, fan-unfriendly "ballmall." Despite renovations and upgrades, that reputation has stuck in the minds of many people. Even Veeck, who hadn't been to The Cell since the 2003 All-Star Game, "came prepared not to like it." But his four-hour visit changed that.

"It ain't the building," he said at the end of the night. "I could never fault the building. This is a good building, a solid building. A fun building."

I don't see the bashing. They point out what it was and how it is still percieved before pointing out how great it acually is. The Cell has been given a lot good talk lately from national announcers talking about it; to visiting team's announcers talking about how great it is (Grace pretty much said that Wrigley isn't even in the same ballpark-pun intended). I enjoyed the article and don't see the negative slant that is usually there.

Pulaski
06-15-2005, 11:03 PM
I liked the idea of an old Comiskey-centric gift shop by the old home plate. I like the idea of a booth with sing-along with Harry and how he recognized Harry's place in Sox baseball history and how the Cubbies are stealing that history to themselves. I've advocated for a while that the Sox dig up some video footage of Harry leading the crowds at old Comiskey and play that whilst Nancy plays Take Me Out...

Thumbs down though on tagging the box cars on the tracks to the west of the park.

I concur. I loved the idea about an old comiskey stand!

Lip Man 1
06-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Dick:

Just playing 'devil's advocate' here....given the franchise alledgedly threw a World Series, celebrated Disco Demolition and had the infamous White Flag Trade what's one more embarassment?

Lip

MUsoxfan
06-15-2005, 11:42 PM
The Veeck's are nothing if not creative. Sometimes that creativity is a little demented and misguided, but it's still very creative.

chidonez
06-16-2005, 10:18 AM
What? No Disco Demolition II?

Well, it would have to be techno now, but how would you burn an MP3?

I thought his comment about the relative youth of the fans was good. The Sox have a better thing going in their fan base than many realize. It may take some time to convince people that they won't get mugged, or worse, walking around the park. But with all the negative media, no wonder they are having trouble.

In addition, I like how the Veeck's are a little out there. Make it fun. Who says the White Sox's park must be traditional and conservative. If I want that, I'll visit the Institute of Art.

tebman
06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
In addition, I like how the Veeck's are a little out there. Make it fun. Who says the White Sox's park must be traditional and conservative. If I want that, I'll visit the Institute of Art.
That was always Bill Veeck's attitude. I don't have a copy of it handy, but I remember a clip of a long-ago interview he did with Edward R. Murrow, of all people, in which he said that he had apparently erroneous belief that baseball was supposed to be fun. He also said that he never wanted to interfere with the game itself, but that the operation of a ballclub is not a "grim affair," if I remember his words correctly.

There's more than a little deja vu in many of the responses in this thread to the time in 1960 when Veeck put the Sox players' names on their jerseys and installed the exploding scoreboard. I don't know if Mike Veeck has the same survivor-businessman savvy his old man had, but it's looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Medford Bobby
06-16-2005, 10:58 AM
:o: I'm still waiting for a public apology from the Veeck family for Bill trading away Norm Cash!:angry:

:gulp: Seattle weather 4cast.....cloudy rain...tomorrow cloudy....rain...Saturday...cloudy...rain......nex t week...cloudy...rain...next month..cloudy...rain.....:whiner: