PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cubs in today's Indy paper

ClaudelSleptHere
06-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Not much new here, but thought some of you might like to read it:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050615/SPORTS/506150408/1004/SPORTS

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Not much new here, but thought some of you might like to read it:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050615/SPORTS/506150408/1004/SPORTS

Interestingly enough, I got a call yesterday from a writer for Crain's Chicago Business who is putting together on article on (you guessed it!) Sox attendance.

ondafarm
06-15-2005, 08:43 AM
I think attendance will come with winning. Put together a few good years and people will come to whatever ballpark. USCF is actually quite a good field. I like it better than most other MLB parks. As for facing downtown, I suppose that could have happened, but that would also have overlooked the old ballpark before it came down. As to enjoying an after game at Murphy's, I, an adult, have never done that.

Cellview22
06-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Since everyone seems so obsessed about attendance and figuring out why it isn't higher at the Cell, I tried to figure out what it'll be at the end of the year and how much higher it'll be than last year.

I was bored last Saturday, so I went through each remaining game and predicted the attendance (I've always come very close to the actual attendance), added it all up including the past games, and through 81 home games, we will average a little over 27,000. In fact, there's no way we won't average 27K. That's way up from last year's 24K. The only reason people are talking about it more this year is because we're the best in the majors and people are unrealistically expecting over 30,000 each game. That kind of jump never happens.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-15-2005, 08:58 AM
I predict all these sportswriters (and Sox Fans! :o:) obsessing over attendance won't think it's very important next October.

TommyJohn
06-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Interestingly enough, I got a call yesterday from a writer for Crain's Chicago Business who is putting together on article on (you guessed it!) Sox attendance.

Well, Thank goodness all these attendance stories are coming out! I haven't
read one in, like, ten minutes.:redneck

Hitmen77
06-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Since everyone seems so obsessed about attendance and figuring out why it isn't higher at the Cell, I tried to figure out what it'll be at the end of the year and how much higher it'll be than last year.

I was bored last Saturday, so I went through each remaining game and predicted the attendance (I've always come very close to the actual attendance), added it all up including the past games, and through 81 home games, we will average a little over 27,000. In fact, there's no way we won't average 27K. That's way up from last year's 24K. The only reason people are talking about it more this year is because we're the best in the majors and people are unrealistically expecting over 30,000 each game. That kind of jump never happens.

If we average 29k the rest of the way, the season average will be 27k. This is definitely doable unless the Sox collapse like they did in the 2nd half of last year.

As far as this latest flurry of attendance articles, think about it - this is a good time for all those Sox bashers to trot out the attendance issue one more time BEFORE we get a big boost from the Dodgers and Cubs series and subsequent summer crowds. This is their last good chance to refer to attendance averages that are still somewhat influenced by the cold April/early May games against the likes of KC.

By the way, the Sox currently rank 22nd in attendance but can easily move up to 19th this weekend. As far as teams that rank #18 and above, you're getting into the teams that are doing well and/or traditionally draw well. #18 is Arizona (2 games out of 1st, always draw well, no April/May cold weather problems), #17 Minnesota (defending 3-time division champs), #16 Baltimore (rivaling Sox as 1st place suprise team, always draw well at Camden Yards).

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, Thank goodness all these attendance stories are coming out! I haven't
read one in, like, ten minutes.:redneck

And as it turns out, the Wall St. Journal scooped Crain's!

Shorty1983
06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Can everyone please stop posting these threads about attendence. For god sakes we have eyes, we watch games, we know that we don't have the biggest fan base in Chicago. As long as we keep winning, I don't care about sell out crowds. I'd rather have 1,000 true heads by me than 10,000 drunk idiots.

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Can everyone please stop posting these threads about attendence. For god sakes we have eyes, we watch games, we know that we don't have the biggest fan base in Chicago. As long as we keep winning, I don't care about sell out crowds. I'd rather have 1,000 true heads by me than 10,000 drunk idiots.

Kill the messenger!!!!

miker
06-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah really, enough about attendance already. Can somebody please tell me why popularity equals good? The KKK was popular at one time, but that didn't make it good! A similiar argument can be made for Cub fans...

Iwritecode
06-15-2005, 01:50 PM
The only reason people are talking about it more this year is because we're the best in the majors and people are unrealistically expecting over 30,000 each game. That kind of jump never happens.

What?!? I thought all teams were capable of jumping directly from 1.9 million to 3+ million in just one year!

Especially when that team has been in first place for all of 3 months and are coming off an exciting second place finish the year before and have not won a playoff game in over a decade...

Seriously, I don't understand what's so difficult to understand about this...

Iwritecode
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
You guys wanna know something really interesting? As much as the local and national media bashes the Sox for attendance, guess which team was lower last year...

Jeapordy music plays...

The 2-time Central division champion Minnesota Twins! They won the division for third time and still drew less than the Sox! ***?!?

How come nobody writes article asking where their fans were/are?

clee-hegone
06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
who cares about the attendance apparently the players dont cause they keep winning. everyone says that kenny should make any changes he might ruin whats going on, well us fans should at it the same way.

Hitmen77
06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
You guys wanna know something really interesting? As much as the local and national media bashes the Sox for attendance, guess which team was lower last year...

Jeapordy music plays...

The 2-time Central division champion Minnesota Twins! They won the division for third time and still drew less than the Sox! ***?!?

How come nobody writes article asking where their fans were/are?

And how about the 1st place Orioles playing in "retro-shrine" Camden Yards averaging less than 30,000 this year? I haven't seen anything whatsoever blaming Oriole fans for not supporting the team. The O's have been given a free-pass because they now have competition from a team that plays 40 miles away from them.

Hey, national media, last I heard the Sox have to contend with a team that plays 8 miles away from them!

Cellview22
06-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey, national media, last I heard the Sox have to contend with a team that plays 8 miles away from them!

People don't seem to get it, do they?
And also the Sox have to contend with the media always glorifying Wrigley.. especially ESPN. You should've heard em yesterday talking to soldiers who just came back from Iraq.."As a life long Cubs fan, how has being a Cubs fan helped you in the war in Iraq" (or something along those lines).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the reason Wrigley continues to outdraw the Cell is because everyone in the media makes Wrigley look like it's the most beautiful magical place on earth, and nothing is ever mentioned about the Cell.

Foulke You
06-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I predict all these sportswriters (and Sox Fans! :o:) obsessing over attendance won't think it's very important next October.
Amen PHG. When the house is packed to the rafters in the playoffs, what will they write about? You mean (GASP) they might actually have to write about our team??

Iwritecode
06-15-2005, 04:09 PM
People don't seem to get it, do they?
And also the Sox have to contend with the media always glorifying Wrigley.. especially ESPN. You should've heard em yesterday talking to soldiers who just came back from Iraq.."As a life long Cubs fan, how has being a Cubs fan helped you in the war in Iraq" (or something along those lines).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the reason Wrigley continues to outdraw the Cell is because everyone in the media makes Wrigley look like it's the most beautiful magical place on earth, and nothing is ever mentioned about the Cell.

It helps that the company that owns the Cubs gets to tell people nationwide on daily basis how great the Cubs are and how bad the Sox are. Then there's that whole WGN superstation thing...

It's not hard to figure out why some guy down in Arkansas who's never even been to Illinois much less Chicago has been a "die-hard" Cubs fan his entire life...

Iwritecode
06-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Amen PHG. When the house is packed to the rafters in the playoffs, what will they write about? You mean (GASP) they might actually have to write about our team??

I predict that we'll end up with a lot of new members asking a lot of questions about the team and it's history...

Then we'll see word-for-word quotes by WSI members in newspapers across the country... :cool:

zach074
06-15-2005, 10:47 PM
This article makes me ashamed to be from Indiana.

ClaudelSleptHere
06-15-2005, 11:39 PM
This article makes me ashamed to be from Indiana.

I really don't think anyone is blaming you for the article, otherwise we would have to blame all the people from Illinois for the stories in the Chicago papers.