PDA

View Full Version : Donelly booted from game

cburns
06-15-2005, 01:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-nationals-angels-donnelly&prov=ap&type=lgns

I love it. First he was blowing into his hand when he played the Sox and now this.

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2005, 02:13 AM
He wasn't just blowing into his hand; he was licking his fingers while on the mound.

StillMissOzzie
06-15-2005, 02:20 AM
He wasn't just blowing into his hand; he was licking his fingers while on the mound.

Maybe the foreign substance in his glove just tasted good!

SMO
:roflmao:

JGarlandrules20
06-15-2005, 02:29 AM
I always thought he totally overreacted when he was issued a ball each time he went to his mouth. The way he reacted it was like each time he gave up a run or something.

So, I guess I wouldn't put it past him.

MisterB
06-15-2005, 03:20 AM

SMO

He's just can't get enough KFC. He was hiding an order of popcorn chicken in his glove.

hose
06-15-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm starting to like the Angels more and more.

Running over catchers, doctoring the ball, ready to go to blows with the opposing team.

I wish the Sox had Erstad and Donnelly.

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Well, this certainly shows why Donnelly got so upset when the Sox called him out for blowing into his hands on the mound. As Shakespeare (or somebody) said, "Methinks he doth protest too much."

I wonder if Chris DeLuca will now have a huge article talking about how Frank Robinson violated one of the unwritten rules of baseball by asking the umpire to check Donnelly's glove.

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Well, this certainly shows why Donnelly got so upset when the Sox called him out for blowing into his hands on the mound. As Shakespeare (or somebody) said, "Methinks he doth protest too much."

I wonder if Chris DeLuca will now have a huge article talking about how Frank Robinson violated one of the unwritten rules of baseball by asking the umpire to check Donnelly's glove.

In fact I just sent the following email to De Luca (and recommend that everybody who thinks media coverage of the Sox stinks send him something similar):

Chris:

After your article on June 5 that seemed rather critical of Ozzie Guillen for going after Brendan Donnelly for blowing into his hand while standing on the mound, are you going to point out in a column in the next day or two that Donnelly was thrown out of last night’s game against the Nationals for concealing a foreign substance in his glove?

After incorrectly identifying what Guillen did as breaking an unwritten rule (it is a rule that pitchers cannot put their hands to their mouths while on the mound) and then quoting Donnelly as saying that he doesn’t know when he puts his hand to his mouth, I think a little perspective on this cheat is in order.

Hal Vickery

wdelaney72
06-15-2005, 08:38 AM
In fact I just sent the following email to De Luca (and recommend that everybody who thinks media coverage of the Sox stinks send him something similar):

[/font][/size][/font]

Nicely done, Hal.

fquaye149
06-15-2005, 09:06 AM

i don't have hamlet on me at the moment but i believe the quote is

"the lady doth protest too much, methinks".

but anyway, back to important things.

1951Campbell
06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
i don't have hamlet on me at the moment but i believe the quote is

"the lady doth protest too much, methinks".

but anyway, back to important things.

I think it was MacBeth.

Iguana775
06-15-2005, 10:02 AM

SMO

Maybe he threw some Pixi Stix in his glove. lol

Iguana775
06-15-2005, 10:03 AM

LOL Nice! :supernana:

Rocklive99
06-15-2005, 10:52 AM
What does Sciosca have to be mad about? Unless Frank was also screaming obscenities at him to start it, I don't get why he'd get mad and have the benches clear

TornLabrum
06-15-2005, 10:59 AM
What does Sciosca have to be mad about? Unless Frank was also screaming obscenities at him to start it, I don't get why he'd get mad and have the benches clear

In a word: obfuscation.

DaveIsHere
06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Funny that the benches cleared, because someone got caught CHEATING, that is what he was doind. The manager is defending a cheat, plain and simple!

jackbrohamer
06-15-2005, 11:11 AM

I'd bet the 69-year-old Frank Robinson could still break Mike Scioscia in half and not break a sweat.

And I may as well be the geek who puts this issue to rest, Hamlet Act III, Sc. 2, l. 241-242:

HAMLET
Madam, how like you this play?

QUEEN GERTRUDE
The lady protests too much, methinks.

mccoydp
06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
It's all too funny...all we need is a Sham-ME corked bat, and my week is complete.

Jerko
06-15-2005, 11:33 AM
I love the fact that they're blaming Jose Guillen for snitching on them because he was with the Angels last year. So, it's ok to cheat, just don't snitch on us when you leave.

elrod
06-15-2005, 12:36 PM
This whole incident is going to galvanize the Nats the way the Tiger brawl did for us in 2000. There is so much animosity between Guillen and the Angels, and when he came back and hit a two-run laser HR the whole Nationals team just advanced light years in team cohesion. They are already a tight bunch but an incident like this, where the manager and most controversial player fire up the team and pull out a late inning win on the road against a first place team can really drive the Nats for a long time.

Flight #24
06-15-2005, 02:46 PM
FWIW, Dan Patrick interviewed Halos broadcaster Rex Hudler. His comments:

- Jose Guillen likely tipped off Robinson, and rightfully so. "You're only as loyal to whoever's paying your salary"

- But there could be some retaliation, and given that Colon and his 95-MPH fastball is going tonight, that could be painful for Jose

- He doesn't think pine tar does much, and knew many pitchers used it for a grip. but it's illegal

- Scoscia's just sticking up for his guy

Jerko
06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Ah, the integrity of baseball. If Guillen tipped off Robinson that just means Donnelly has been "cheating" for at least 2 seasons.

shoota
06-15-2005, 03:04 PM
I'd bet the 69-year-old Frank Robinson could still break Mike Scioscia in half and not break a sweat.

No way. Scioscia is the man.

Isn't Frank Robinson the one who unfairly suspended the Sox after the 2000 Chicago/Detroit brawl? IIRC, more Sox players were suspended than Tigers, and for a longer time period.

Jose Guillen is still a POS.

fquaye149
06-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I think it was MacBeth.

you think wrong

fquaye149
06-15-2005, 03:09 PM

And I may as well be the geek who puts this issue to rest, Hamlet Act III, Sc. 2, l. 241-242:

HAMLET
Madam, how like you this play?

QUEEN GERTRUDE
The lady protests too much, methinks.

i'm almost positive it's the lady doth protest too much, methinks

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/363200.html

well. at any rate. this is so irrelevant, it ain't funny:)

jackbrohamer
06-15-2005, 03:21 PM
No way. Scioscia is the man.

Isn't Frank Robinson the one who unfairly suspended the Sox after the 2000 Chicago/Detroit brawl? IIRC, more Sox players were suspended than Tigers, and for a longer time period. .

Frank Robinson was one of the toughest (and best) players I have ever seen play.

MasQbellesa
06-15-2005, 08:45 PM

I was at the game last night. the funny part was watching the bullpen clear out and seeing all the pitchers coming running together across the field. The radio announcers were laughing at all the pitchers running together....they should have just fought in the pen.

Jose Guillen had to litterally be picked up and dragged back to the dug out. Shut everyone up with his 2 run homer at his next at bat.

Oh those boys......

pearso66
06-15-2005, 10:37 PM
I don't get why Sciosca (sp?) was up in Robinsons face. I guess you are wrong to point out cheaters.

TornLabrum
06-16-2005, 12:45 AM
I did receive a response from Chris De Luca regarding my email to him about how he might treat this incident:

Hal:

My column was not meant to be critical of Guillen (quite the opposite). I tried to show how he gets under opponents' skin (Donnelly gave up two home runs after Guillen's tactics).

Chris

I responded thusly:

Chris:

From the opening sentence of the article, I got the opposite impression considering that the rule about going to the mouth is very much a written rule instituted when the spitball was banned:

"It seems the White Sox' interpretation of baseball's unwritten rules has irked someone other than the Cubs."

Since Frank Robinson also went after Donnelly, I'd say that does put Ozzie in some pretty good company, though.

Thanks for your response.

Hal Vickery

Nellie_Fox
06-16-2005, 01:13 AM
- Jose Guillen likely tipped off Robinson, and rightfully so. "You're only as loyal to whoever's paying your salary"There's an old cowboy saying: "If you take a man's money, you should ride for his brand."

elrod
06-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Nats beat the Angels again tonight, in even more impressive fashion. Ryan Drese, the Ranger castoff, pitched 8 innings of 2-hit shutout ball. Colon only allowed a HR to catcher Brian Schneider. In the bottom of the 9th, "Chief" Chad Cordero loaded the bases with nobody out...and then struck out Finley, got Bengie Molina to fly out to shallow center, and struck out Dallas McPherson. Unbelievable game. The fans booed Jose Guillen like crazy and it didn't hurt the Nats at all.

AZChiSoxFan
06-16-2005, 12:02 PM
I think it was MacBeth.

I thought it was Othello.

SSN721
06-16-2005, 01:09 PM
I thought it was Othello.

"Taming of the Shrew" perhaps?

maurice
06-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Sciosca's really making himself look like a POS in all of this. Ozzie's right. Donelly is a dumbass for getting caught. Boo fricking hoo.