PDA

View Full Version : White Sox shortcoming - long relief

StillMissOzzie
06-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Well, after two straight days of seeing the Cubans get whacked around, and practically everyone else today as well, I think that a chink in the White Sox armor has been exposed. Right now, there is nobody in the Sox bullpen that I would call a "long" reliever. I am concerned that Ozzie is gonna burn out the bullpen if he has to use 3-5 bullpen pitchers night after night. My suggestions:

1) Maybe seperate the Cubans in the rotation
2) KW, look for a long reliever
3) Or, start stretching out Cotts' appearances to make him the long reliever. As a converted starter, I would think that he's the one most adaptable to such a role.

Your thoughts?

SMO
:gulp:

JB98
06-15-2005, 12:16 AM
I want to keep Cotts right where he is. At this point, he's more reliable than Marte in the set-up role.

I don't share your concern about the long-relief role. To be honest, I don't think there has been a game yet this year where I thought, "Damn, if we only had a long reliever." I'm more concerned about the guys who protect the leads in the late innings. We may need another righty down there to help Cliff and Hermy out. Maybe Shingo is on his way to figuring it out and being that guy.

Banix12
06-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Well it's a situation where the sox had two guys who could do long relief in the bullpen to start the season, Hermanson and Cotts. Now Hermanson is the closer and Cotts has made himself too valuable as a set-up man. It's not so much that the sox don't have any long men, they just have had to move them into more important roles with the failures of some of the late inning guys.

You hope a team doesn't need a long man too often and often the long man is just the last guy out of the bullpen. So I'm not too worried about it.

Games like tonight make me think of the usefulness of a guy like Brooks Kieschnick. Useful pinch hitter and can pitch in games like the blowout tonight to preserve the bullpen.

However in cases where a starter gets injured early and you need someone to fill in, Cotts will still be the longman in those situations.

owensmouth
06-15-2005, 03:04 AM
The problem with a designated long reliever is that you end up with a guy that doesn't get used for a couple of weeks, and then when he gets called in he gets bombed. Most games, Ozzie will try to get six innings out of his starters. A long reliever would not get enough usage. Even if we had a long reliever, if he had been used Monday, he wouldn't have been aval Tuesday.

Cubbiesuck13
06-15-2005, 06:56 PM
This is a non-issue. JC got rocked but still ate up innings. That proved to be invaluable for when The Duke got rocked the next night. Our bullpen has been fine. Every pen goes through rough spots and we all ready have. Right now, they are pitching well. Viscaino is doing better. Pollite is amazing right now. Cotts is improving. Hermy has been awesome all year. Shingo is struggling with his command but he did last year before coming into his own. Correct me if I am wrong but don't we have only a couple blown saves all year?

NonetheLoaiza
06-15-2005, 08:02 PM
The problem with a designated long reliever is that you end up with a guy that doesn't get used for a couple of weeks, and then when he gets called in he gets bombed. Most games, Ozzie will try to get six innings out of his starters. A long reliever would not get enough usage. Even if we had a long reliever, if he had been used Monday, he wouldn't have been aval Tuesday.

You're exactly right. How many times this year have we actually required a long reliever? Not pitching pretty much all year except in outings meant to get you innings is not going to favor the long relievers. If you want to call it a weak spot fine, but that weak spot is there because our starting pitching this year has been nothing short of fantastic (without the last two outings being mentioned...shudder).

PAPChiSox729
06-15-2005, 10:41 PM
You're exactly right. How many times this year have we actually required a long reliever? Not pitching pretty much all year except in outings meant to get you innings is not going to favor the long relievers. If you want to call it a weak spot fine, but that weak spot is there because our starting pitching this year has been nothing short of fantastic (without the last two outings being mentioned...shudder).

Agree 100%. I really wouldn't consider long relief a problem because more than likely, long relief isn't going to be needed much this year. In the bullpen, our guys aren't multiple inning relievers. But the games where we need long relief will be few and far between so our relievers really shouldn't get worn out too often.