PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Hype?

Dub25
06-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Ok I know this is beating a dead horse but I gotta do it. The Sox and Dodgers meet this weekend at the Cell. I know they played a couple of seasons ago in L.A., but this is the first trip to the south side since 59, right? Last week all of our outstanding newspapers did a fantastic job of shoving the Red Sox-Cubs down our f'ing throats. Nevermind that the Sox and Dodgers played for a title in a year that I'm sure some people here remember. I believe the Sun-times started last Sunday with the back page dedicated to those so called cursed teams. Today is Tuesday and I have not seen anything about this weekend. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hanger, please throw in your 2 cents to this as I always enjoy it when you bash the local media for all their cubbie love.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Well for what it's worth Fred Mitchell of the Tribune had a column including a conversation with Sox CF Jim Landis about 1959 and Mike Downey today in the Tribune has a column with Sandy Koufax's recollections on it.

Lip

Dub25
06-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Well for what it's worth Fred Mitchell of the Tribune had a column including a conversation with Sox CF Jim Landis about 1959 and Mike Downey today in the Tribune has a column with Sandy Koufax's recollections on it.

Lip

I will admit that I read yesterday and Sunday's trib but did not see today's. The Sun-Times I have read and did not see anything.

rwcescato
06-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Lip

The trib is calling it the big City Series. Sox-Dodgers and Cubs-Yankees. So we don't get single coverage on it. I am sure tomorrow they will have a story on the Yankees and flub history.
Rich

Cellview22
06-14-2005, 06:26 PM
If all 3 games were sold out, it would be a big story. The media sees that there's still a lot of tix available for each game, so they're not jumping on it. But on the other hand, how's the casual fan supposed to know about it if the media doesn't cover it. :mad:

Hitmen77
06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
If all 3 games were sold out, it would be a big story. The media sees that there's still a lot of tix available for each game, so they're not jumping on it. But on the other hand, how's the casual fan supposed to know about it if the media doesn't cover it. :mad:

Are there still alot of tix available? I was expecting big crowds this weekend.

itsnotrequired
06-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Are there still alot of tix available? I was expecting big crowds this weekend.

There actually are quite a few still available. Lower Deck is pretty well maxed-out but the Upper Deck has plenty available. I'm out of town this weekend but if I wasn't, I'd there in a second.

zach074
06-15-2005, 11:34 PM
The hype is obviously there because the ownership decided it was a premier game and we have to pay even more to get inside.

eriqjaffe
06-16-2005, 08:57 AM
The games are not sold out because the ownership decided it was a premier game and we have to pay even more to get inside.Fixed that for you.

PeteWard
06-16-2005, 09:06 AM
A link from ESPN's MLB web page by Buster Olney below . It is part of their extra "Insider" coverage that you have to pay for. I won't!! So I could not open it it.
But I asked myself. "Who the hell is Rich Hill?" I went to a stat page and saw that he has pitched one inning this season and that his ERA is 18.00 !!!! Now I know it is common for them to do stories on prospects, but really, it just strikes me as more idiotic hype for the Cubs. I mean who is this guy compared to a Cotts or a Pollite who have never been looked at by these lazy writers? Or any number of posssibe Brewers, Twins, Padres etc. outside of their unholy hyped trinity of Bos, NYY or CHC?

Cubs rookie Rich Hill has a breaking ball that suddenly banks like a cyclist making the turn in a velodrome. (http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/magazine/magBlogArchive?id=1961791&month=jun#June16,20055:10:19AMPDT)http://espn.starwave.com/i/in.gif

Dan H
06-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I am one person who cares nothing about the hype. This is a three game series and that is all. There is nothing historic about it. The only history I want for this season is for the Sox to go the World Series. Then maybe the team will get some hype.

jackbrohamer
06-16-2005, 10:07 AM
I am one person who cares nothing about the hype. This is a three game series and that is all. There is nothing historic about it. The only history I want for this season is for the Sox to go the World Series. Then maybe the team will get some hype.

I agree with you, though I am looking forward to seeing them play in the 1959 uniforms.

Paxson93
06-16-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree with you, though I am looking forward to seeing them play in the 1959 uniforms.

Will they be wearing them all weekend?

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Will they be wearing them all weekend?

I know they'll wear them Friday and Saturday.Looking forward to
seeing the Saturday night game in person.Upper Deck to the
left down the third base line never sounded so good.:bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
06-16-2005, 03:39 PM
The hype is obviously there because the ownership decided it was a premier game and we have to pay even more to get inside.

And unemployed people always have $25 they can throw around
to sit in the upper deck.:rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
06-17-2005, 07:35 AM
There's an article looking back at '59 and drawing comparisons to the current Sox in today's Cub-Times: linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox17.html)

Hangar18
06-17-2005, 09:24 AM
The trib is calling it the big City Series. Sox-Dodgers and Cubs-Yankees. So we don't get single coverage on it. I am sure tomorrow they will have a story on the Yankees and flub history.
Rich

I like how the TRIB took flak for their "Boston" daily pieces hyping the Cubs RedSox "historic" meetings, yet the SOX and Padres got nothing. Its comical how they merely put the logos of the 4 teams, calling it the "Big City Series"
yet continueing to run pieces on the Yankees daily, and hyping the Cubs
and Yankees "historic" meeting. I think what we can read in all this,
is that the American League is much better draw for "fans" in the NL cities.
There just arent any teams in the NL I want to see. Talk about that Cubune.

Hangar18
06-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I love the MJ & H show on Am1000. But perhaps, since the SOX are leaving,
theyre getting the jump on being more cubtastic than normal. Yesterday
afternoon, they invited callers to chime in on where cub fans should hang out
and congregate in NYC while theyre visiting. It was sickening to hear all
of the bars and restaurants they should go, and how they should head
to the Seaport area for good fish blha blah blah. As if it was the cubs
first ever visit to New York. Ridiculous Chicago Media.

PatK
06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
I love the MJ & H show on Am1000. But perhaps, since the SOX are leaving,
theyre getting the jump on being more cubtastic than normal. Yesterday
afternoon, they invited callers to chime in on where cub fans should hang out
and congregate in NYC while theyre visiting. It was sickening to hear all
of the bars and restaurants they should go, and how they should head
to the Seaport area for good fish blha blah blah. As if it was the cubs
first ever visit to New York. Ridiculous Chicago Media.

Yeah but notice, Mac is the only one that sounds like he's got half a brain on that show, and he's the Sox fan.

Jurko should never be allowed to comment on baseball. He's exactly the type of fan that Carl Everett criticized in his Maxim interview.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Actually there were a few pieces on Sox / Dodgers in the Tribune today. Sun-Times has a nice recap of the 59 series and the Southtown has a great column with Billy Pierce on why he didn't start a game in 59. Overall I think the papers have done a good job reporting this series up.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x17-lad1.htm

With respect Hangar. I followed the Sox/ Padres because I'm a Sox fan but to the rest of baseball that was one of those 'who cares' series raking right up there with say Royals/Dodgers, Tigers/Padres or Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh.

Lip