PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the Sox from AZ broadcasters

AZChiSoxFan
06-14-2005, 12:45 PM
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Not having Extra Innings or MLB.tv, I have been looking forward to this series all year, as it's a rare chance for me to get to see the Sox on TV, 3 days in a row. Both the D-backs radio announcers and TV crew had positive comments regarding the Sox last night. The radio team mentioned how much they liked USCF and what a nice stadium they thought it was. The radio play-by-play guy grew up in Illinois and attended games at Comiskey as a youngster. He talked some about how the Sox don't get much media attention in Chicago (due to the evil blue empire) but that the fans who come to the games really know their baseball. :D: On the TV broadcast, Thom Brennaman and Mark Grace spent a decent amount of time talking about the Big Hurt and they both said what a great guy he is. Grace said that certain members of the Chicago media are very vindictive and he felt that some of the supposed negative comments from Frank over the years were due to these types of "reporters" goading Frank into saying something he really didn't want to say.

Jurr
06-14-2005, 12:54 PM
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Not having Extra Innings or MLB.tv, I have been looking forward to this series all year, as it's a rare chance for me to get to see the Sox on TV, 3 days in a row. Both the D-backs radio announcers and TV crew had positive comments regarding the Sox last night. The radio team mentioned how much they liked USCF and what a nice stadium they thought it was. The radio play-by-play guy grew up in Illinois and attended games at Comiskey as a youngster. He talked some about how the Sox don't get much media attention in Chicago (due to the evil blue empire) but that the fans who come to the games really know their baseball. :D: On the TV broadcast, Thom Brennaman and Mark Grace spent a decent amount of time talking about the Big Hurt and they both said what a great guy he is. Grace said that certain members of the Chicago media are very vindictive and he felt that some of the supposed negative comments from Frank over the years were due to these types of "reporters" goading Frank into saying something he really didn't want to say.
Yeah...and Grace also said that he doesn't think Frank Thomas belongs in the Hall of Fame. He said a few years ago maybe, but not now.

AZChiSoxFan
06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
That's not what I heard him say. Grace said that Frank has had a great career, potentially a HOF career, and it would be ashamed if he missed out due to all of the injuries he's had in the past few years. I know, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it also wasn't Grace saying that Frank didn't belong.

The reason I mentioned what Grace and Brennaman said about Frank in the first place is that many media people say that "Frank is a bad guy", yet many on this board who have run into Frank always mention what a great guy he is. I was glad to hear that the AZ guys know the real story and haven't just bought the "standard line."

kevingrt
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I have to agree, Brennaman is one of my favorite play by play guys in the buisness. I always love listening to the guy do FOX games. I appreciate some of the visiting team media giving us some love. Not everyone hates us, something nice to see.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Brennaman should know something about the Sox, after all he was one of the Cub broadcasters for a few years in the early 90's and did commentary during those Crosstown Classic games.

Lip

BaseballTonyght
06-14-2005, 01:42 PM
When I have to watch the games via the visiting team's telecast I'll typically speed through the broadcaster commentary... but yup indeed these guys really are pretty entertaining and informative. I actually listened this time. Tip o' the cap.

You should hear some of the other jokers around the league... ugh.

Jurr
06-14-2005, 01:56 PM
When I have to watch the games via the visiting team's telecast I'll typically speed through the broadcaster commentary... but yup indeed these guys really are pretty entertaining and informative. I actually listened this time. Tip o' the cap.

You should hear some of the other jokers around the league... ugh.
Yeah..like the Braves guys.

My favorite crews are the Sox, Pirates, D-Backs, Red Sox, and Dodgers (Vin, of course).

The Yankees, Cubs, Braves (except on Turner south, when Wimpy calls a game), and Rockies have TERRIBLE announcers.