PDA

View Full Version : Playoff schedule question

DumpJerry
06-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I was talking with a friend yesterday and we both predicted that the Sox will finish finish Number 1 in the AL and the Twins in the WC. I said I liked that because it mean we play the Twins and probably the O's in the ALCS after they beat up the Angels for us. My friend thought that the WC team cannot match up against another team in its division for the first round. We were not sure if it was the NFL or MLB that has that format.

Can we play the Twins in the first round if we have the best AL record and the Twins are the WC? If not, what it the format?

Thanks!

SaltyPretzel
06-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Two teams in the same division can't face each other in the first round. If the Sox finished with the best record in the league and the Twins won the wild card, the Sox would face the divisional winner with the lower winning %.

dcb33
06-14-2005, 11:34 AM
I was talking with a friend yesterday and we both predicted that the Sox will finish finish Number 1 in the AL and the Twins in the WC. I said I liked that because it mean we play the Twins and probably the O's in the ALCS after they beat up the Angels for us. My friend thought that the WC team cannot match up against another team in its division for the first round. We were not sure if it was the NFL or MLB that has that format.

Can we play the Twins in the first round if we have the best AL record and the Twins are the WC? If not, what it the format?

Thanks!
For whatever reason, teams in the same division cannot face each other in the ALDS. If the Sox finish with the best record in the entire AL and the Twins win the Wild Card, the Sox would play the division winner with the third best record and the Twins would play the division winner with the second best record.

sean
06-14-2005, 12:07 PM
For whatever reason, teams in the same division cannot face each other in the ALDS. If the Sox finish with the best record in the entire AL and the Twins win the Wild Card, the Sox would play the division winner with the third best record and the Twins would play the division winner with the second best record.

I might be wrong, but I think the reason is to keep the amount of travel done by all teams in the first round more even. Potentially, you could have, for example, the Angels and Orioles make 3 cross country flights in a week during that playoff series while the Sox and Twins take 3 1-hour flights, which in the LCS could give the Sox or Twins the advantage.

I'm guessing that having major rivalries (read Yankees/Red Sox) as an LCS matchup rather than an LDS matchup has plenty to do with it as well.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
I have never heard the 'travel' comment as a reason for this bizarre scheduling.

What I have heard is that MLB does not want two teams who have already met 18 or 19 times during the regular season meeting until the LCS because if it were to happen they fear fans would be bored. It's all about the ratings gang.

MLB wants teams that have only played six or seven times to meet in the opening round, it adds an air of mystery which has usually translated into good ratings.

By the time two teams from the same division meet, it's for the right to go to the World Series. That guarantees good ratings.

I personally don't agree with this but what do you expect from Proud To Be Your Bud? The team with the best record should play the team with the worst record period. Doesn't matter if that's the Wild Card or a divisional winner. There have been many years when the Wild card team has a better record then a divisional winner. It should be 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3. period.

Lip

Iwritecode
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I might be wrong, but I think the reason is to keep the amount of travel done by all teams in the first round more even. Potentially, you could have, for example, the Angels and Orioles make 3 cross country flights in a week during that playoff series while the Sox and Twins take 3 1-hour flights, which in the LCS could give the Sox or Twins the advantage.

I'm guessing that having major rivalries (read Yankees/Red Sox) as an LCS matchup rather than an LDS matchup has plenty to do with it as well.

Don't they usually schedule off-days when one of the teams has to travel anyway?

DumpJerry
06-14-2005, 06:30 PM
What I have heard is that MLB does not want two teams who have already met 18 or 19 times during the regular season meeting until the LCS because if it were to happen they fear fans would be bored. It's all about the ratings gang.
Lip is right. If the Sox and Twins met in the ALDS, I was planning on calling high school friends I have not heard from in over 20 years, count how many cars drive past my house per hour and search the Internet for the latest on Tom Cruise and that girl he is allegedly dating. After all, after 19 regular season meetings, what is there left to be seen? Give me something new and refreshing to watch on my sports tv!

Thanks for the info guys!:smile:

munchman33
06-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I have never heard the 'travel' comment as a reason for this bizarre scheduling.

MLB wants teams that have only played six or seven times to meet in the opening round, it adds an air of mystery which has usually translated into good ratings.

By the time two teams from the same division meet, it's for the right to go to the World Series. That guarantees good ratings.

I personally don't agree with this but what do you expect from Proud To Be Your Bud? The team with the best record should play the team with the worst record period. Doesn't matter if that's the Wild Card or a divisional winner. There have been many years when the Wild card team has a better record then a divisional winner. It should be 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3. period.

Lip

I thought the reason was to guarantee the Yankees and the Red Sox don't eliminate each other until its time for one of them to go to the World Series.

downstairs
06-15-2005, 09:42 AM

I agree with you. The first round is, naturally, the least interesting. Why not allow some division rivals to fight it out. Even those who are not fans of those teams would get into the rivalry somewhat.

I want Mags back
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
http://specials.tribstar.com/ColtsSeason2001/Art/January7mora.jpgPLAYOFFS!! YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE PLAYOFFS!! WE CAN'T EVEN WHEN A GAME

CallMeNuts
06-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Lip

I'm not happy about having 3 World Series in a row being won by teams that failed to win their division. But the Wild Card isn't going away. So the Wild Card team should always play the best of the 3 Division Champs, even if this is a team in the same division. The Wild Card team should be at home for Game 1, and then on the road for the balance of the series. This super home field advantage would give greater meaning to having the best record in the league, and the Wild Card team would be at a significant disadvantage.

MIgrenade
06-19-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm not happy about having 3 World Series in a row being won by teams that failed to win their division. But the Wild Card isn't going away. So the Wild Card team should always play the best of the 3 Division Champs, even if this is a team in the same division. The Wild Card team should be at home for Game 1, and then on the road for the balance of the series. This super home field advantage would give greater meaning to having the best record in the league, and the Wild Card team would be at a significant disadvantage.

I don't agree. I think it's fun to have an extra team to come in and beat the Yankees or the Cubs, for example. It's fun to root for a team that doesn't make it every year. Without the wildcard, the Yankees would have, what, 28 or so World Series rings. I like the way it's set up, and everyone here will too if the Sox ever made it to the playoffs as a WC.

CallMeNuts
06-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't agree. I think it's fun to have an extra team to come in and beat the Yankees or the Cubs, for example. It's fun to root for a team that doesn't make it every year. Without the wildcard, the Yankees would have, what, 28 or so World Series rings. I like the way it's set up, and everyone here will too if the Sox ever made it to the playoffs as a WC.

Sounds like you enjoy the hockey playoffs. (if we can even remember hockey.) Baseball is special because it still gives the greatest meaning to the 162 game regular season. If you are the best in the long haul, you should get the edge in the play-offs. If you make it in the back door, you should have a little harder path to the prize. Even if its the Yankee$.