PDA

View Full Version : Sandberg says Sox remind him of '04 Red Sox

doublem23
06-14-2005, 09:59 AM
They continue to own the best record in the majors after going 5-1 last week at Colorado and San Diego as Ozzie Guillen had to juggle his lineup and play National League ball. The pitching staff has been fantastic with a 3.46 ERA, and the offense continues to improve as Paul Konerko (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5908/) and Joe Crede (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6411/) heat up a bit. This team, with its good chemistry, reminds me a lot of the 2004 Red Sox.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=rs-rankings061305&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

He gone
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Who really cares what Ryan Sanburg thinks.

Didn't he just say the Sox were going to lose 2 out of 3 from the Padres :cool:

1951Campbell
06-14-2005, 10:16 AM
This team, with its good chemistry, reminds me a lot of the 2004 Red Sox.

But I thought Frank was a clubhouse cancer.

aniceItch
06-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Wow. Joe Crede is actually going through a slightly mild heat up. I must not have been paying attention..

Champs2004
06-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Is it just me or did we just receive a patented media kiss of death?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Is it just me or did we just receive a patented media kiss of death?

Only if Sports Illustrated proclaims us as champs in their next issue.:(:

Jurr
06-14-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm going right for my wrists if I see something along those lines.

faneidde
06-14-2005, 01:00 PM
We are nothing like the Red Sox last year. What a stupid observation. The Red Sox last year were a station to station team built on OPB and they had a very thin rotation with two absolute studs at the top. The White Sox this year have a very low OPB, steal bases, bunt, etc, and have a very deep rotation without a Pedro or Schilling at the top. This Sox team reminds me a lot more of the 2001 Mariners than the 2004 Red Sox.

tstrike2000
06-14-2005, 01:02 PM
I've always said that I listen to Sandburg about as many times as I saw him dive for a ground ball at 2B, which is zero.

WhteSox725
06-14-2005, 01:11 PM
We are nothing like the Red Sox last year. What a stupid observation. The Red Sox last year were a station to station team built on OPB and they had a very thin rotation with two absolute studs at the top. The White Sox this year have a very low OPB, steal bases, bunt, etc, and have a very deep rotation without a Pedro or Schilling at the top. This Sox team reminds me a lot more of the 2001 Mariners than the 2004 Red Sox.

If you read the blurb on the White Sox it sounds like he's talking about the chemistry of the team not how the team is winning.

Jurr
06-14-2005, 01:14 PM
We are nothing like the Red Sox last year. What a stupid observation. The Red Sox last year were a station to station team built on OPB and they had a very thin rotation with two absolute studs at the top. The White Sox this year have a very low OPB, steal bases, bunt, etc, and have a very deep rotation without a Pedro or Schilling at the top. This Sox team reminds me a lot more of the 2001 Mariners than the 2004 Red Sox.z
That's exactly the team I think about, and that scares me.

Flight #24
06-14-2005, 01:20 PM

.316 / 30th
.326 / 16th
.346 / 12th

Those are the April-May-June(so far) OBPs and MLB ranking of the Sox. They're not a "low OBP team", they merely had a horrible OBP start to the year. Esp if Frank plays a significant portion of the remainder of the season, this team will have a pretty good OBP.

JB98
06-14-2005, 02:21 PM

He did, but that was one of the few times all season where he hasn't been complimentary of the Sox. Before the season started, he picked us to win the wild card. I don't put a lot of stock in what he says, but I have to admit Sandberg is one of the few "experts" who considered the Sox to be contenders from day one.

TheOldRoman
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
How many titles did being on the cover of SI more than any other person ever cost Michael Jordan?

Exactly. Now lets stop with this nonsense.

Brian26
06-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Plenty of room for you on the bandwagon, Ryno.

Hokiesox
06-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Plenty of room for you on the bandwagon, Ryno.

Yeah. Sox fans would fight for the honor of pushing him off

Cubsuck_a_lot
06-14-2005, 05:14 PM

dont mean to be a stickler but actually, it's ryne. i never understood what would possess a mother and father to name their child so ridiculously. then again, at least he wasnt named for an inanimate object like an Apple or a Blanket

Iguana775
06-14-2005, 05:34 PM
dont mean to be a stickler but actually, it's ryne. i never understood what would possess a mother and father to name their child so ridiculously. then again, at least he wasnt named for an inanimate object like an Apple or a Blanket

Or after a brand of banana.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-14-2005, 05:58 PM

I recall reading a story that mentioned that his parents named him after Yankee pitcher Ryne Duren.

MUScholar21
06-14-2005, 06:44 PM
This comparison is just Sandberg's effort to make the full transition to the national media. He knows he can't get anywhere unless he firmly plants his lips on the Red Sox/Yankees/AL East's collective ass.

mdep524
06-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Maybe its just me, but I don't see what's so bad about this comparison. The 2004 Red Sox had a very loose, joking, close-knitted clubhouse- similar to what our Sox have this season. Also, Sandberg is one of the few so-called "experts" to pick the AL Wildcard to come out of the Central. Have to give him credit for that.

nedlug
06-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Maybe its just me, but I don't see what's so bad about this comparison. The 2004 Red Sox had a very loose, joking, close-knitted clubhouse- similar to what our Sox have this season. Also, Sandberg is one of the few so-called "experts" to pick the AL Wildcard to come out of the Central. Have to give him credit for that.

Out of the 10 or so 'experts' on ESPN before the season, one picked the Sox to win the division, and one the WC, I believe. Also, SI had us in 4th, so he was definitely going against the rest of the media on that one.